Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 253 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13222Likes

post #7561 of 8309 Old 05-20-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
I agree that 1080p vs 4K isn't as dramatic of a difference as might be expected though it perhaps depends on source material, screen size, quality of upscaling, and distance from the screen. The biggest difference is the presence of HDR with 4K content, the quality of which varies quite a bit. It would be nice to see HDR mature so that we can focus on The Next Big Thing, whatever that is. How much 8K will bring to the party is hard to say. If it follows the 4K pattern, I think the most likely early benefit will be upscaled content for cleaner display on progressively larger screens.

Broadcast TV being 3 generations out looks like a short term issue. If the reports are accurate (a big "if"), ATSC 3.0 will be deployed in 40 markets by the end of 2020. That makes broadcast 4K and lossless audio possible though how content providers will adopted it isn't clear.

As for replacing disks, that seems very unlikely to me. It's starting to look like the end of the disk era is near. Disk sales are down. Oppo and Samsung have abandoned the blu-ray player market. Unfortunately, physical media are still SOTA right now offering 4K, hdr, lossless audio, Atmos / DTS:X. Streaming services offer (limited) 4K content but no lossless audio AFAIK.

Yeah, we're in kind of a weird place right now.
The next big thing SHOULD be refresh rate. As a projector guy, panning is the most irritating part of viewing. If they could provide material and the ability to truly pan at 120 Hz or 240 Hz, that would be nirvana. That's where HDMI 2.1 is promising, but if the content creators don't get behind it, what's the point?

HDR definitely improves the experience because color depth is richer, but as a projector owner, it can't really do true HDR highlights. And if it did, I'd be blinded permanently.

Replacing discs is concerning. Streaming isn't remotely close to what discs can do in terms of video quality, and especially audio quality.
Bill-99 and Nikola Tesla like this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7562 of 8309 Old 05-20-2019, 07:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakar80124 View Post
I'm considering getting a Martin Logan Dynamo Subwoofer, primarily because they include ARC with their subwoofers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekWave View Post
Hi, do you have a pre-amp/processor which has room-correction or any other form of PEQ that you're planning to use?

If so, I would advise NOT running additional EQ on your subs. Doubling-up like this can cause all sorts of nasties. I've heard such practice discussed and frowned upon many times over the years, in fact Rob from AV Rant and Gene from Audioholics just recently ranted about not doing that. In which case, there is no need to go purchase Martin Logan subs just for ARC if you already apply some form of EQ beforehand.

What I (and any others) would advise however, if you're running multiple subs, make sure they are SPL matched and time aligned outside of the processor/receiver, but not EQ'd. Let your room-correction within processor take care of that.

Bass integration is not only about the sub(s) being tuned in isolation with each other, but also about their integration with your mains.
This depends on the order in which you do the EQ'ing. I'll agree you absolutely do not want to run ARC, Audyssey, YPAO, etc. on your AVR or pre/pro, and then run your subs built-in EQ process. That will definitely muck things up. And if you have only one sub, then it is pointless to use its internal EQ first. Just let the AVR do it.

However, in situations with multiple subs, especially if they are not matching subs, it is perfectly fine to EQ each sub individually first, level match them to each other, then run your AVR's calibration second. If you first EQ each subwoofer to flat separately from the same MLP, when combined, they should still be flat together. Any minor remaining peaks and dips will then be cleaned up by the AVR's calibration. In my setup, doing it this way has given me a perfectly flat response down to 18Hz. No nasties. Just tight, clean, balanced bass.

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVR 60 | 5.2.4 Config: MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL X FL/FR, ESL C Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Motion 4i Atmos | Subs: Velodyne DD-15, Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x | Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 FL/C/FR, Emotiva A-700 Surrounds and Atmos

Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #7563 of 8309 Old 05-20-2019, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Asking for help!

I have the MRX 720 powering my 5.2.2 system(F Kef R500s, C Kef R600c, Sur Kef Q350s, Atmos Kef Q50A) and am considering the purchase of an MCA 325 3 channel power amp while on sale. From what I have been able to discover on line, the Sur and Atmos speakers are getting roughly 50-60 Watts from the MRX 720. What happens if one adds the MCA 325 pushing 225 Watts into the front 3 speakers? Does it create an imbalance of some sort with the other speakers receiving only 50-60 watts of power? Will ARC2/Genesis compensate and balance the output? Crutchfield tech says that there is no method of redirecting power output to other channels that aren't being used after adding a power amp.

Obviously, this my first time installing a power amp into a HT system.

Thanks in advance,

Hugh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7564 of 8309 Old 05-20-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 2972 Post(s)
Liked: 1729
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Asking for help!

I have the MRX 720 powering my 5.2.2 system(F Kef R500s, C Kef R600c, Sur Kef Q350s, Atmos Kef Q50A) and am considering the purchase of an MCA 325 3 channel power amp while on sale. From what I have been able to discover on line, the Sur and Atmos speakers are getting roughly 50-60 Watts from the MRX 720. What happens if one adds the MCA 325 pushing 225 Watts into the front 3 speakers? Does it create an imbalance of some sort with the other speakers receiving only 50-60 watts of power? Will ARC2/Genesis compensate and balance the output?
ARC will set the gains properly for each speaker. No problem.

According to what I read, the MRX 720 has 5 identical amps, 140W, so the surrounds are not likely to starve. The height speakers are indeed limited to less power, but unless you really crank the volume you may never notice it.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #7565 of 8309 Old 05-20-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Asking for help!

I have the MRX 720 powering my 5.2.2 system(F Kef R500s, C Kef R600c, Sur Kef Q350s, Atmos Kef Q50A) and am considering the purchase of an MCA 325 3 channel power amp while on sale. From what I have been able to discover on line, the Sur and Atmos speakers are getting roughly 50-60 Watts from the MRX 720. What happens if one adds the MCA 325 pushing 225 Watts into the front 3 speakers? Does it create an imbalance of some sort with the other speakers receiving only 50-60 watts of power? Will ARC2/Genesis compensate and balance the output? Crutchfield tech says that there is no method of redirecting power output to other channels that aren't being used after adding a power amp.

Thanks in advance,

Hugh
My understanding of the 720's amps is that they are 140W X 5 (front left/center/right, surround left/right) and 60W X 2 (front Atmos or back surround, depending on configuration).

So if you add an external amp for front left/center/right, you will be left with 140 watts per channel for the surrounds and 60 watts per channel for Atmos powered by your 720. You'll be fine with the side surrounds, but I see that you're running the KEF Q50a Dolby Atmos modules. Because those bounce the sound off the ceiling, I'm honestly not sure if 60 W is enough power. I run similar Dolby Atmos modules from MartinLogan, and in order to really get the bounce effect off the ceiling, I need to run them about 8 or 9 dB louder than the front L/C/R. I have maxed out the gain on those Atmos channels with certain amp configurations in my setup. You may or may not have enough room to crank them up to match the needed gain in comparison with the front channels powered by the MCA 325. ARC will try to compensate, but it can only increase the channel levels by so much to match levels. Not saying it won't work, just relaying a potential pitfall based upon my experience. I say give it a try and see. The nice thing about Crutchfield is that you can easily send it back if it doesn't work.

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVR 60 | 5.2.4 Config: MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL X FL/FR, ESL C Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Motion 4i Atmos | Subs: Velodyne DD-15, Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x | Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 FL/C/FR, Emotiva A-700 Surrounds and Atmos

post #7566 of 8309 Old 05-20-2019, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Asking for help!

Thanks in advance,

Hugh
The levels will be fine but you will find your LCR will be more dynamic with more headroom as they should be naturally. I have a 7 channel power amp running a 5.2.2 setup. It made a huge difference in sound quality. It is a night and day difference between the on board mrx720 amps. But I think you will be good to go just with amplifiers on the front stage

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #7567 of 8309 Old 05-20-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
ARC will set the gains properly for each speaker. No problem.

According to what I read, the MRX 720 has 5 identical amps, 140W, so the surrounds are not likely to starve. The height speakers are indeed limited to less power, but unless you really crank the volume you may never notice it.
Thanks for the reply!
post #7568 of 8309 Old 05-20-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyRider View Post
My understanding of the 720's amps is that they are 140W X 5 (front left/center/right, surround left/right) and 60W X 2 (front Atmos or back surround, depending on configuration).

So if you add an external amp for front left/center/right, you will be left with 140 watts per channel for the surrounds and 60 watts per channel for Atmos powered by your 720. You'll be fine with the side surrounds, but I see that you're running the KEF Q50a Dolby Atmos modules. Because those bounce the sound off the ceiling, I'm honestly not sure if 60 W is enough power. I run similar Dolby Atmos modules from MartinLogan, and in order to really get the bounce effect off the ceiling, I need to run them about 8 or 9 dB louder than the front L/C/R. I have maxed out the gain on those Atmos channels with certain amp configurations in my setup. You may or may not have enough room to crank them up to match the needed gain in comparison with the front channels powered by the MCA 325. ARC will try to compensate, but it can only increase the channel levels by so much to match levels. Not saying it won't work, just relaying a potential pitfall based upon my experience. I say give it a try and see. The nice thing about Crutchfield is that you can easily send it back if it doesn't work.
Perhaps I should purchase the MCA 525 and then run the Atmos speakers off the 720 at 140 watts, and the Atmos off of the 525 at 225 watts. Any way, thanks for your kind assistance.
post #7569 of 8309 Old 05-20-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Kasey View Post
The levels will be fine but you will find your LCR will be more dynamic with more headroom as they should be naturally. I have a 7 channel power amp running a 5.2.2 setup. It made a huge difference in sound quality. It is a night and day difference between the on board mrx720 amps. But I think you will be good to go just with amplifiers on the front stage

Thanks for the reply. I might look into a 7 channel amp. Which amp did you select?
post #7570 of 8309 Old 05-20-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I might look into a 7 channel amp. Which amp did you select?
Monolith7x

post #7571 of 8309 Old 05-20-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Monolith7x

Thanks. Not sure that I want to handle a 93 pound amp!
post #7572 of 8309 Old 05-20-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Not sure that I want to handle a 93 pound amp!
It's definitely heavy but it's a good amp. I have it in a TV stand. Where do you plan on putting it

post #7573 of 8309 Old 05-20-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
It's definitely heavy but it's a good amp. I have it in a TV stand. Where do you plan on putting it

I have no space up front so it will going into entertainment credenza with a fan.
Norris Kasey likes this.
post #7574 of 8309 Old 05-20-2019, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
This depends on the order in which you do the EQ'ing. I'll agree you absolutely do not want to run ARC, Audyssey, YPAO, etc. on your AVR or pre/pro, and then run your subs built-in EQ process. That will definitely muck things up. And if you have only one sub, then it is pointless to use its internal EQ first. Just let the AVR do it.

However, in situations with multiple subs, especially if they are not matching subs, it is perfectly fine to EQ each sub individually first, level match them to each other, then run your AVR's calibration second. If you first EQ each subwoofer to flat separately from the same MLP, when combined, they should still be flat together. Any minor remaining peaks and dips will then be cleaned up by the AVR's calibration. In my setup, doing it this way has given me a perfectly flat response down to 18Hz. No nasties. Just tight, clean, balanced bass.
The ML sub with ARC allows both LFE and R/L inputs to be connected. So can use 2 ch. stereo with speakers set to large and run the Receivers setup for theater surround sound. And has a app to control it. Not sure how easy it is to use.
post #7575 of 8309 Old 05-20-2019, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Good to know, wasn't sure how much power those might require. Seems like the norm is to under power your surrounds or Atmos speakers but may be defeating the whole purpose of having them in the first place huh.
post #7576 of 8309 Old 05-20-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakar80124 View Post
Good to know, wasn't sure how much power those might require. Seems like the norm is to under power your surrounds or Atmos speakers but may be defeating the whole purpose of having them in the first place huh.
I put a scope on the Left speaker terminal while playing the major explosions in Hacksaw Ridge as loud as I would ever play it. Then calculated it was 50W.

It all depends on how loud you want to play and how efficient the speakers are. IOW, YMMV.

Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
post #7577 of 8309 Old 05-20-2019, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
So I ran Genesis over the weekend and I am on the fence. All the levels are way up. Subwoofer that was +3db on ARC-2 is now +12! Not sure what happened there. I will tell you when I played the opening scene for the new Blade Runner I thought the walls of the house would fall down and was scrambling for the volume control. I also heard what sounded like woofer slap so I immediately turned it down. I am running two M&K push pull X10 THX subs which load the room very nicely but have a weird curve. There is a 70 db hump at 750 Hz and another one at 1.2kHz. Anyone heard of a sub generating sound at these high frequencies? Measurement thumbnail below. The M&K's do not have correction software and were set to THX level and crossover off. My entire system is hidden so no moving the subs.

Two other things that frustrated the heck out of me:

1) Had the back amp set up wrong. The check boxes in Genesis when uploaded prevented me from measuring the middle height in ceiling Atmos speakers. Couldn't get any sound out of them with test tones or movies. Took me over an hour to figure out what was going on. This always happens when you tell he wife, "It will only take a few minutes to run the test tones and then you can come back in." 3 hours later.

2) I tried and tried but can't figure out how to take two sets of measurements. I have a "hidden" home theater with electric screen that drops down as well as a projector lift that drops from the ceiling. I wanted to take measurement A for regular TV watching and measurement B for movies, which would take into account the reflections off the screen and ceiling projector. No dice. If anyone has figured out how to do this I would appreciate you letting me know. I wanted to call Anthem today but work was crazy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5444.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	2569426   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5448.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	448.0 KB
ID:	2569428   Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-05-21 000956.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	2569430  

Last edited by Biff66; 05-21-2019 at 12:11 AM.
post #7578 of 8309 Old 05-21-2019, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff66 View Post
So I ran Genesis over the weekend and I am on the fence. All the levels are way up. Subwoofer that was +3db on ARC-2 is now +12! Not sure what happened there. I will tell you when I played the opening scene for the new Blade Runner I thought the walls of the house would fall down and was scrambling for the volume control. I also heard what sounded like woofer slap so I immediately turned it down. I am running two M&K push pull X10 THX subs which load the room very nicely but have a weird curve. There is a 70 db hump at 750 Hz and another one at 1.2kHz. Anyone heard of a sub generating sound at these high frequencies? Measurement thumbnail below. The M&K's do not have correction software and were set to THX level and crossover off. My entire system is hidden so no moving the subs.

Two other things that frustrated the heck out of me:

1) Had the back amp set up wrong. The check boxes in Genesis when uploaded prevented me from measuring the middle height in ceiling Atmos speakers. Couldn't get any sound out of them with test tones or movies. Took me over an hour to figure out what was going on. This always happens when you tell he wife, "It will only take a few minutes to run the test tones and then you can come back in." 3 hours later.

2) I tried and tried but can't figure out how to take two sets of measurements. I have a "hidden" home theater with electric screen that drops down as well as a projector lift that drops from the ceiling. I wanted to take measurement A for regular TV watching and measurement B for movies, which would take into account the reflections off the screen and ceiling projector. No dice. If anyone has figured out how to do this I would appreciate you letting me know. I wanted to call Anthem today but work was crazy.
You just have to configure A and then B before you start your measurements. I did A with screen down, B with screen up and C for 2 channel only.

AV Lexicon GX 7, Anthem MRX-720, Oppo 203, Panasonic UB420, Xbox one x, PS4 pro, TV LG 55C6, 65 C8,OLED. HD projector 106 Jvc X5000 X550, Sub Paradigm signature sub1, Speakers monitor audio platinum PL200 PLC150, Dali phantom ikon in wall & 4 phantom kompas 6m in ceiling speakers, 5.1.4 Atmos
post #7579 of 8309 Old 05-21-2019, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff66 View Post
All the levels are way up. Subwoofer that was +3db on ARC-2 is now +12! Not sure what happened there.
The gain trim values being different doesn't mean anything. What matters is that all the channels are well balanced afer ARC is done. If you open the speaker level setting menu and step the noise through each speaker, they should all be darned close. Do you have an SPL meter?

Quote:
I will tell you when I played the opening scene for the new Blade Runner I thought the walls of the house would fall down and was scrambling for the volume control. I also heard what sounded like woofer slap so I immediately turned it down.
Sounds about right. That movie has prodigious bass in the opening.

What was the volume control set for before you turned it down? From your graph it looks like ARC targeted 75 dB, and if I understand Anthem SPL logic, that means -10 on the master volume would be full cinema reference level. If you play Blade Runner at MV = -20 it should be loud but not lethal. If you want the MV to use 0 as reference, manually subtract 10 clicks from every level trim -- but only if all of them are able to do so. Here again it would be great to have not only an SPL meter but also a known test signal to measure. Then you can be certain what SPL is being produced.

Quote:
I am running two M&K push pull X10 THX subs which load the room very nicely but have a weird curve. There is a 70 db hump at 750 Hz and another one at 1.2kHz. Anyone heard of a sub generating sound at these high frequencies? Measurement thumbnail below.
Yes, the curve is very weird. But there are no 70 dB humps. More like 7 dB. But those are the least of your worries wrt the subwoofer.

Quote:
The M&K's do not have correction software and were set to THX level and crossover off.
Turn the crossovers back on, and set them for 80 Hz. Do it. This will help reduce the massive peak at 160 Hz, and also reduce the resonances at 750 Hz and 1.2 kHz. None of that is useful. Run ARC again and see what you get.

I have not seen the overall responses of the mains or what ARC is doing for correction, but I suspect there may be similar significant resonances present. Putting speakers in a cabinet is a great way to cause such problems. The usual solution is to seal the gaps all around the front baffles of the speakers to the side/top walls of the cabinet with something resilient. It may or may not cause heat buildup from the woofer amps, though.
bigdogaxis and Biff66 like this.

post #7580 of 8309 Old 05-21-2019, 03:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 181
post #7581 of 8309 Old 05-21-2019, 04:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I can’t get sound from my center channel when watching amazon Prime or Netflix. I watch Cool hand Luke on Netflix and my 720 says the input is 3/2. DTS. It outputs the same. Only get stereo sound. Same with Prime watching say Beverly Hillbillies show and some other shows.

The Xbox one x is set for output bitstream. Bitstream DTS. USing the mode button on remote and when I change to anything there’s still no sound from the center. Dolby surround. No center sound.

Why is Netflix force on me Dolby Vision when nothing I will watch is DV? And why can’t I see my 720 UI on screen anymore?

I know Beverly Hillbillies is old and is mono. But no matter what I should be able to get sound from the center. How is it possible some content refuses and no matter what you do on the receiver don’t matter?
post #7582 of 8309 Old 05-21-2019, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:

Hello,
I have a 1120, and also have 4 Martin Logan Atmos speakers. The 60W for Atmos is Plenty of power? With Genesis bumped up all my speakers 3db. So my Atmos speakers are now 9. I am curious how did you calculate the distance of the Atmos speakers? This has allot to do with getting the height effects working properly.

Regards,
Jeff
post #7583 of 8309 Old 05-21-2019, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Bug in Profile 1 when more than one Measurement

There is a bug in Genesis with the Profiles and Measurements. Profile 1 is the profile that is always enabled and you cannot disable it. With Profile 1 if you have more than one Measurement and you change the drop down to say Measurement B and then look at your speaker levels and other setting like crossovers etc… you'll see that even though you changed Profile 1 to Measurement B all the settings are still showing the speaker levels, crossovers etc… for Measurement A.

Also after you upload you'll see on the level calibration and bass management screens in the MRX that it up loaded the Measurement A settings for Profile 1 even through you set the drop down to Measurement B in the Genesis Profile screen. With this bug you may think you're using Measurement B or other profile for Profile 1 but you are really using your Measurement A.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
post #7584 of 8309 Old 05-21-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post
Hello,
I have a 1120, and also have 4 Martin Logan Atmos speakers. The 60W for Atmos is Plenty of power? With Genesis bumped up all my speakers 3db. So my Atmos speakers are now 9. I am curious how did you calculate the distance of the Atmos speakers? This has allot to do with getting the height effects working properly.

Regards,
Jeff
I forget where I read it, but the recommendation was to calculate the distance value for the Atmos modules as the sum of the distance from the speaker to the bounce point on the ceiling + the distance from the ceiling bounce point to the listening position. The trick is using the correct angles, which I'll admit I just eyeballed. For me, that worked out to be around 15' in a smaller room with 7' 6" ceilings.

My earlier comment about really needing to crank up my Atmos modules came from a somewhat unique situation. I was using the XLR outs for my front LCR into an Emotiva XPA-3 and then the RCA outs for the Atmos channels into a much less powerful Emotiva A-700. There was such a huge output gain difference between the balanced and unbalanced outputs that I just could not jack up the Atmos high enough to compete with the front stage. I have just recently solved that issue by going to all unbalanced connections. The output gains of my amps are now much more closely matched and I have a lot more headroom left in the Atmos channels. I still think they need to go up in level a bit more over where ARC set them, but haven't had time to play around much since redoing the interconnects and rerunning ARC. I remember reading somewhere, either in this thread or the AVM 60 thread, a recommendation to bump up the level of Atmos bounce modules by 5 dB over what ARC set. Not sure if this is still needed now with Genesis. I'm still running ARC 2.

post #7585 of 8309 Old 05-21-2019, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
I can’t get sound from my center channel when watching amazon Prime or Netflix. I watch Cool hand Luke on Netflix and my 720 says the input is 3/2. DTS. It outputs the same. Only get stereo sound. Same with Prime watching say Beverly Hillbillies show and some other shows.

The Xbox one x is set for output bitstream. Bitstream DTS. USing the mode button on remote and when I change to anything there’s still no sound from the center. Dolby surround. No center sound.

Why is Netflix force on me Dolby Vision when nothing I will watch is DV? And why can’t I see my 720 UI on screen anymore?

I know Beverly Hillbillies is old and is mono. But no matter what I should be able to get sound from the center. How is it possible some content refuses and no matter what you do on the receiver don’t matter?
Basically any streaming service not 5.1 is only two front speakers. No matter the receivers setting. This is on my ps4 Pro and Xbox one x.

I used to have no issues.
post #7586 of 8309 Old 05-21-2019, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked: 1042
Quote:
Basically any streaming service not 5.1 is only two front speakers. No matter the receivers setting. This is on my ps4 Pro and Xbox one x.

I used to have no issues.
Have you checked your listening modes when not in 5.1?
post #7587 of 8309 Old 05-21-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
Have you checked your listening modes when not in 5.1?
The receiver only shows DTS which is the PS4 Pro and Xbox one x audio output.

Am I just wrong and that if source in streaming app is not DD then I’ll only get front two speakers only no matter what? I remember always having center sound from anything in Netflix. The show didn’t have to be 5.1. But for some reason changing receivers setting does nothing.

I was messing with ARC on the 720 and my C9. And it’s possible that’s when this problem started. But I’m not sure. I have as far as I know, disabled anything related to arc both on my 720 and the tv. But I don’t know for sure.

Last edited by buggs1a; 05-21-2019 at 08:31 AM.
post #7588 of 8309 Old 05-21-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The receiver only shows DTS which is the PS4 Pro and Xbox one x audio output.

Am I just wrong and that if source in streaming app is not DD then I’ll only get front two speakers only no matter what? I remember always having center sound from anything in Netflix. The show didn’t have to be 5.1. But for some reason changing receivers setting does nothing.

I was messing with ARC on the 720 and my C9. And it’s possible that’s when this problem started. But I’m not sure. I have as far as I know, disabled anything related to arc both on my 720 and the tv. But I don’t know for sure.
IIRC, on my MRX510 (prev generation MRX), if it wasnt in DD from Netflix or Amazon through a Roku, I had to choose a listening mode to get older 2 channel content to mix up to surround. Otherwise it was 2 channel.
post #7589 of 8309 Old 05-21-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbreda View Post
IIRC, on my MRX510 (prev generation MRX), if it wasnt in DD from Netflix or Amazon through a Roku, I had to choose a listening mode to get older 2 channel content to mix up to surround. Otherwise it was 2 channel.
That won’t work. I think you can’t do that to a DTS signal. And that’s what the signal is from consoles.
post #7590 of 8309 Old 05-21-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I forget where I read it, but the recommendation was to calculate the distance value for the Atmos modules as the sum of the distance from the speaker to the bounce point on the ceiling + the distance from the ceiling bounce point to the listening position. The trick is using the correct angles, which I'll admit I just eyeballed. For me, that worked out to be around 15' in a smaller room with 7' 6" ceilings.

My earlier comment about really needing to crank up my Atmos modules came from a somewhat unique situation. I was using the XLR outs for my front LCR into an Emotiva XPA-3 and then the RCA outs for the Atmos channels into a much less powerful Emotiva A-700. There was such a huge output gain difference between the balanced and unbalanced outputs that I just could not jack up the Atmos high enough to compete with the front stage. I have just recently solved that issue by going to all unbalanced connections. The output gains of my amps are now much more closely matched and I have a lot more headroom left in the Atmos channels. I still think they need to go up in level a bit more over where ARC set them, but haven't had time to play around much since redoing the interconnects and rerunning ARC. I remember reading somewhere, either in this thread or the AVM 60 thread, a recommendation to bump up the level of Atmos bounce modules by 5 dB over what ARC set. Not sure if this is still needed now with Genesis. I'm still running ARC 2.
Those of you using Atmos modules that bounce off the ceiling-how well does this work and will a ceiling fan be an issue for the bounce?

If it works well, that would factor into my thoughts of possibly jumping from MRX510 to MRX720 during the 20% off promo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page