Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 257 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13181Likes

post #7681 of 8179 Old 05-26-2019, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick_Lai View Post
I had exactly the same issue , sent email to support and no help.

The HDMI is claimed to be support the max 'common' resolution /spec the sink supported.
I.e. your case is 4k without HDR.

Regarding the sink is on or off, I suspect even TV is off, it still remember if present the EDID in standby mode, or your fiber HDMI has a chipset inside and remember the setting.

The only workaround for me was to unplug the HDMI. And I found it not acceptable either after weeks.

So I purchased HDFury Integral 2(splitter ) It handles any EDID issue nicely, always present a predefined signal to Anthem, highly configurable and stable.
I have never seens any handshake issue since I using it for more than half year .
The only downside is you need to pay extra money... (With some other features that no might not need)

In my experience, the Anthem HDMI can get confused by sink easily. So I always only has 1 HDMI connected to the splitter .

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I can echo this. My situation was a little more complex since I am running a JVC DLA with 4k capability and an old 1080P Pioneer Elite Kuro. Anthem said they just pass through and were no help at all. HDFury Vertex fixed my problem and works great most of the time. Occasionally after watching a movie in 4k, the color will be jacked up on the Pioneer when switching back. Powering the system down and back up fixes the problem. No more good old days when the receiver did everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7682 of 8179 Old 05-26-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2947 Post(s)
Liked: 1693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanthomasfan View Post
My observation is that the overall setup with the MRX and the MCA is not _that much_ louder than just the MRX 720. What am I missing? I thought the difference in wattage across tightly integrated product lines (i.e., since the MRXs are made to work with MCAs). For quick reference, the MRX pumps out 140WPC channels 1-5 (that's all I use) and the MCA 525 puts out 225W per channel (on all 5 channels).
I believe the confusion is between power and gain. Most power amps have 29 dB gain, regardless of their power rating. A more powerful amp will not sound any louder at a given volume setting. It is, however, able to play louder if driven harder.
OzHDHT and Dylanthomasfan like this.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win7 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #7683 of 8179 Old 05-26-2019, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
I believe the confusion is between power and gain. Most power amps have 29 dB gain, regardless of their power rating. A more powerful amp will not sound any louder at a given volume setting. It is, however, able to play louder if driven harder.
Thank you for your explanation, but I must confess to being confused by your answer. Especially the last sentence. Are you saying that given the logarithmic nature of gain calculations, the volume (SPL) increases drastically from my listening levels to when I increase by the same amount on the MCA 525 (i.e., as compared to the same when only using an MRX 720)? If so, that makes sense. In that case, it appears like most of my power accrual due to the MCA 525 is coming in the top parts of the volume gain (i.e., when I move from -20 db in volume gain to -10db and to 0). I have actually not tried to up the volume beyond -15db in my new setup. I should try that. But is it really advisable to do so, given that my PSB front are rated at 200W max (the center and the surrounds are actually 150W)? I know these are nominal numbers, but still...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7684 of 8179 Old 05-26-2019, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Thank you for your explanation, but I must confess to being confused by your answer. Especially the last sentence. Are you saying that given the logarithmic nature of gain calculations, the volume (SPL) increases drastically from my listening levels to when I increase by the same amount on the MCA 525 (i.e., as compared to the same when only using an MRX 720)? If so, that makes sense. In that case, it appears like most of my power accrual due to the MCA 525 is coming in the top parts of the volume gain (i.e., when I move from -20 db in volume gain to -10db and to 0). I have actually not tried to up the volume beyond -15db in my new setup. I should try that. But is it really advisable to do so, given that my PSB front are rated at 200W max (the center and the surrounds are actually 150W)? I know these are nominal numbers, but still...
This article may be of help.
https://geoffthegreygeek.com/amplifier-power/
If I understand this correctly, doubling the amp power gives an additional 3 dB.

So going from the internal MRX 720 140W to an external MCA 525 may not be all that different. I don't recall seeing the number in the MCA 525 specs but if it's like the A5, the amp may be producing 180W all channels driven.

If your system isn't loud enough, it might be worthwhile to take a look at the sensitivity of your speakers. What specific model speakers are you driving and what is their sensitivity rating?

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
post #7685 of 8179 Old 05-26-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your explanation, but I must confess to being confused by your answer. Especially the last sentence.

Quote:
Are you saying that given the logarithmic nature of gain calculations, the volume (SPL) increases drastically from my listening levels to when I increase by the same amount on the MCA 525 (i.e., as compared to the same when only using an MRX 720)?
No.

When you apply a signal to a power amp, it produces a certain SPL. As the amp's input signal is increased by advancing the volume, the SPL will increase and continue to do so until a) it becomes too loud for comfort, b) the amplifier starts clipping and sounds horrible, or c) the speaker makes a funny smell.

When a more powerful amplifier is used, the certain SPL starting point is the same (volume sounds the same). As the volume is increased, a) and c) will be the same, but b), clipping, will happen at a higher SPL.

Quote:
I have actually not tried to up the volume beyond -15db in my new setup. I should try that. But is it really advisable to do so, given that my PSB front are rated at 200W max (the center and the surrounds are actually 150W)? I know these are nominal numbers, but still...
Yes, feel free to advance the volume until it's loud enough. If a), b), or c) occur, act accordingly.
JDEATON likes this.

Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs

Last edited by Roger Dressler; 05-27-2019 at 10:26 AM.
post #7686 of 8179 Old 05-27-2019, 04:47 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5795 Post(s)
Liked: 8267
Quote:
Originally Posted by desray2k View Post
HDMI outputs to 2 different Displays - causing an issue

Discovered an issue with the way Anthem manage its HDMI outputs. I have one Projector (JVC DLA-N7) and a Samsung 4K monitor. Both display accepts UHD signal but ONLY the projector have HDR processing capability. One of the HDMI cable is an active Optic fibre cable (10m) connecting to my Samsung 4K monitor for casual viewing whenever I don't feel like watching it on a big-screen using my Projector. There is no problem sending 4K signal to BOTH displays but whenever I play a 4K UHD with HDR content, my Projector "refused" to play HDR (because the color gamut has automatically reverted to SDR 709 although the bit depth accepts 10/12-bit. For HDR content to be played, it require a BT2020 colorimetry profile.

Solution: I literally have to unplug the active fibre optic HDMI cable connecting to my Samsung 4K monitor for the Projector to work.

Comments: The 2 HDMI Outputs on my Anthem MRX-720 seems to take in a 4K signal based on the lowest display denominator - which in this case is my Samsung 4K UHD monitor which allows 4K signal to pass through (with HDCP 2.2) but not HDR capable and because of that, my JVC Projector will NOT allow HDR to be processed even when my monitor is turned off (presumably without any signal been pass through)! I thought this is kind of odd?!

My question now is whether to send Anthem a support ticket on this HDMI output issue or is there a workaround solution to my woes? I can't possibly be plugging/unplugging the my active fibre HDMI out whenever I want to watch 4K UHD with HDR content. That's not the solution.

Anyone have any experience with this HDMI output issue or is this a universally "known" AV industry fact that whenever you mix-and-match 2 "different" displays, the more "incapable" display will take precedence over the more capable display (in this case, my JVC projector)? Why when I shut down the monitor (powered off literally), my MRX-720 still have a "lock-in" to the EDID of my Samsung 4K monitor?!

The problem you are having is due to two things. First the Anthem only has ONE HDMI output signal -- fanned out to the two HDMI outputs. So if both HDMI outputs are "live", it has to create an output signal which both receiving devices will accept -- a problem if those two devices don't allow the same signals.

Second, your Samsung is keeping its HDMI input socket "live" even when the TV is turned "Off". This is becoming more and more common and is a real nuisance. The usual suspects are HDMI ARC (TV audio sent back out of the TV to the AVR on the HDMI cable normally used to feed video into the TV) and HDMI CEC (remote control commands over the HDMI cable). The TV keeps its HDMI socket live so that things like power on commands and whether the AVR itself is powered on can be detected.

For some suggestions on how to address this see the section on "Zombie" HDMI connections in my Blog post here:

Quick Tip: Avoiding HDMI Topology Problems, OR Loops, Dual Paths, and ZOMBIES!

With a few TVs the solution is as simple as telling the TV to use a different HDMI input socket (perhaps one not even cabled) before you turn the TV Off -- something you can likely automate if you are using a programmable remote to turn the Samsung off and on.

--Bob
GeekWave likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #7687 of 8179 Old 05-27-2019, 04:52 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5795 Post(s)
Liked: 8267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
. . . .

or c) the speaker makes a funny smell.

. . . .
Ah yes, the recipe for making toast: Heat until it smokes, and then 30 seconds less.

--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #7688 of 8179 Old 05-27-2019, 08:08 AM
pau

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Ok guys happy customer here, i think im done till next MRX receivers and HDMI 2.1 & 4k120Hz TV's are mainstream.

Have finally come agreement with the Genesis about curves and hours & hours of moving the new PC-4000 around the house. Could'nt really know why the front spot has so much better curve and subwoofer has around 8db less level in calibrations if placed nearfield on backwall but thats another story. The sound image having subwoofer front is really 3d like and i dont want to miss that. Allso for my Gallo setup i think the MRX520 is a bit pushing it for 75db all channels and i never really push the system that high volume, so i just reduce all channel levels by -11 db to bring overall calibration to 64db. That for me is a better choise (no + signals send to subwoofer for clipping/distortion and my typical volume in movies never no more than -20 main volume) so have headroom left if want to push more. For subwoofer i have Dolby Volume On allways so that boost's the low rumble a lot.

Only tricky is the Center channel as i have sofa table in front and depending of what bottles / whatnot is on it. the response differences so much. for that i reduced the correction range of all front channels & back for it not to bother with them reflections.

Really have it nailed i think for now. Enjoy the Receiver so much. It has made the audio a blast even after all these years of owning it!

Cheers And big thumbs for Anthem!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GeneX.pdf (660.7 KB, 26 views)

HTPC - MRX 520 - Gallo Reference 3.1 & Strada - SVS PC4000 - Sony 65" 4k TV 8505C
post #7689 of 8179 Old 05-27-2019, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikola Tesla View Post
My personal ranking of height speaker configurations would put on-wall ahead of ceiling because they can be directed at the MLP for optimum performance via articulated brackets.

For Atmos in ceiling is Nirvana. For Auro 3 height speakers may be better bet.
post #7690 of 8179 Old 05-27-2019, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 51
So I have a weird problem my 1120 won't connect to WiFi anymore. But it's a weird problem. When I go to the network/control menu and go to wireless setup and click select it won't load the next screen it just stays on main menu and won't access the sub menu where it shows all the networks that are local. I have attached a photo of where it is stuck. So just to do a rundown when I click select on the wireless setup it won't load the sub menu where it shows all your networks any solutions

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #7691 of 8179 Old 05-28-2019, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi!

I have the opportunity to buy a Martin Logan Electromotion ESL system. I know that in long therm its recommended for me to add a power amp, but it could be months or more, until i get one. My question is, can i hope my Anthem MRX500 will be able to handle it ? I'm not looking for reference levels tough... In theory it will be a pair of Electromotion ESL, a pair of FX2 with a Stage Center. Already have 2 active subs... My room is 17' x 14'
post #7692 of 8179 Old 05-28-2019, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajtarp View Post
Hi!

I have the opportunity to buy a Martin Logan Electromotion ESL system. I know that in long therm its recommended for me to add a power amp, but it could be months or more, until i get one. My question is, can i hope my Anthem MRX500 will be able to handle it ? I'm not looking for reference levels tough... In theory it will be a pair of Electromotion ESL, a pair of FX2 with a Stage Center. Already have 2 active subs... My room is 17' x 14'
The thing with ML ESL's are spacing and angles. The downside with ESL's in HT is they must be out in space, away from the walls; thus, no putting them behind the screen. Anyway, once you get the spacing and angles right, they will sound very good. The more power you give them, the better they will sing.

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-105, ANTHEM MRX-1120, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 4.
MartinLogan speakers and subs. M/ASlim5 Rack, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast/C6 meter.

Last edited by bigdogaxis; 05-28-2019 at 07:07 AM.
post #7693 of 8179 Old 05-29-2019, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am considering getting the Anthem MRX 1120 because of the ARC, but my dealer hasnt taken the time to set it up.
For those that have implemented ARC, how much of a difference did it make to your MUSIC listening both in 2-channel and Multi-channel???
How difficult was it to properly implement, especially for those using the new ARC Genesis??
post #7694 of 8179 Old 05-29-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshu View Post
I am considering getting the Anthem MRX 1120 because of the ARC, but my dealer hasnt taken the time to set it up.

For those that have implemented ARC, how much of a difference did it make to your MUSIC listening both in 2-channel and Multi-channel???

How difficult was it to properly implement, especially for those using the new ARC Genesis??

Huge difference. Overall more spacious soundstage and more transparent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toshu likes this.
post #7695 of 8179 Old 05-29-2019, 09:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophizee View Post
So I have a weird problem my 1120 won't connect to WiFi anymore. But it's a weird problem. When I go to the network/control menu and go to wireless setup and click select it won't load the next screen it just stays on main menu and won't access the sub menu where it shows all the networks that are local. I have attached a photo of where it is stuck. So just to do a rundown when I click select on the wireless setup it won't load the sub menu where it shows all your networks any solutions

Have you tried a factory reset followed by network configuration? If it refuses to let you reconfigure the network, it could be that your network / Play-Fi card isn't working. That's how mine failed with an AVM 60.

post #7696 of 8179 Old 05-29-2019, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophizee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
Have you tried a factory reset followed by network configuration? If it refuses to let you reconfigure the network, it could be that your network / Play-Fi card isn't working. That's how mine failed with an AVM 60.
I'd suggest doing a factory reset only as a last resort because that will also wipe out your uploaded ARC profile and you might not be able to load it back if you truly have a network hardware issue. Try an AC reboot first. Unplug the Anthem, hit the main power button 4 or 5 times to drain all the residual power, plug it back in, then power it back up and give it a try again.
desray2k likes this.

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVR 60 | 5.2.4 Config: MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL X FL/FR, ESL C Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Motion 4i Atmos | Subs: Velodyne DD-15, Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x | Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 FL/C/FR, Emotiva A-700 Surrounds and Atmos

Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #7697 of 8179 Old 05-29-2019, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyRider View Post
I'd suggest doing a factory reset only as a last resort because that will also wipe out your uploaded ARC profile and you might not be able to load it back if you truly have a network hardware issue. Try an AC reboot first. Unplug the Anthem, hit the main power button 4 or 5 times to drain all the residual power, plug it back in, then power it back up and give it a try again.
Agreed. Soft reset is the first step. If that fails, then factory reset with caveats. Is your unit still under warranty? If so, factory reset may be the only way to confirm that there's a bad card. You might also enlist the help of your dealer.
desray2k likes this.

post #7698 of 8179 Old 05-29-2019, 01:35 PM
NMG

Liked: 39
Quote:
I only listen to music in 2.1, but the improvement with Genesis is, quite frankly, unbelievable. Better depth, greater clarity and wider soundstage. As noticeable as those improvements are, the improvement in bass performance is even more shocking. Response is pretty much flat right down the lowest limit of my sub. Bass pitch and definition is way more accurate and extension is far superior. It pretty much takes all room issues out of the equation and leaves you with what is on the recording.
post #7699 of 8179 Old 05-29-2019, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 228
For those still on the fence deciding whether to take the plunge to try out the new ARC Genesis, I’ll say just go for it! With so many positive user reviews, there is really no need to worry.

Legairre and OzHDHT like this.
post #7700 of 8179 Old 05-29-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG View Post
I only listen to music in 2.1, but the improvement with Genesis is, quite frankly, unbelievable. Better depth, greater clarity and wider soundstage. As noticeable as those improvements are, the improvement in bass performance is even more shocking. Response is pretty much flat right down the lowest limit of my sub. Bass pitch and definition is way more accurate and extension is far superior. It pretty much takes all room issues out of the equation and leaves you with what is on the recording.
I listened to a LINN Audio demo a few weeks ago and was amazed at the clarity of the sound with their RC as compared to WO....but at around $24,000 forget about it... Hence I am looking for something that will significantly improve my current system in my new home in AZ which is not friendly to my old system due to angles, tile and glass. My concern is that i hate to loose the sweet sound of my B&K AVR 507 run through my Krell KAV 300i, which I would be replacing. Listened to a Anthem MRX 520 in a dealer and he didnt even bother setting up the ARC......and hence it didnt sound any better than my system at home.

Current system is>>
JMLAB ELECTRA 920
JMLAB ELECTRA CC 900
JMLAB ELECTRA SR 30
JMLAB REARS
PARADIGM SUB SERVO 15A
B&K AVR 507
KRELL KAV 300
ENLIGHTENED AUDIO DESIGNS (EAD) ULTRADISC 2000
SONY UBP X800
OPPO DV970HD
TOPPING DX7S DAC/AMP
post #7701 of 8179 Old 05-29-2019, 04:33 PM
NMG

Liked: 39
Quote:
I listened to a LINN Audio demo a few weeks ago and was amazed at the clarity of the sound with their RC as compared to WO....but at around $24,000 forget about it... Hence I am looking for something that will significantly improve my current system in my new home in AZ which is not friendly to my old system due to angles, tile and glass. My concern is that i hate to loose the sweet sound of my B&K AVR 507 run through my Krell KAV 300i, which I would be replacing. Listened to a Anthem MRX 520 in a dealer and he didnt even bother setting up the ARC......and hence it didnt sound any better than my system at home.

Current system is>>
JMLAB ELECTRA 920
JMLAB ELECTRA CC 900
JMLAB ELECTRA SR 30
JMLAB REARS
PARADIGM SUB SERVO 15A
B&K AVR 507
KRELL KAV 300
ENLIGHTENED AUDIO DESIGNS (EAD) ULTRADISC 2000
SONY UBP X800
OPPO DV970HD
TOPPING DX7S DAC/AMP
For what it's worth, I went from an old Rotel RSX-1056 receiver with a Rotel RB-1080 amp for the mains, to just the MRX-720. Speakers didn't change (B&W 703s up front and a Paradigm Sub 12 for the low end).

The Rotel wasn't a bad sounding receiver, but it didn't have digital inputs so it was time to upgrade. Just comparing the two setups in straight 2 channel without any sub or room correction, it was close. I'd definitely give the edge to the Anthem, but it wasn't a "wow" difference.

Throwing the room correction on the Anthem into the mix and comparing them in a 2.1 setup, and it's night and day. The Anthem trounces the old Rotel. Same with 5.1. No comparison. The overall integration, clarity, and presentation with the Anthem is far superior.

Suffice to say I'm absolutely sold on the benefits of room correction.
toshu likes this.
post #7702 of 8179 Old 05-29-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 357
I have an MRX 720, and have just recently finished installing an Atmos system. It appears that my AppleTV 4k is streaming in Atmos, as the logo is appearing on the status screen of the AppleTV, but on the 720 it's displaying as "muti PCM 3/4". I'm assuming this is, in fact, Atmos audio since the heigh speakers are clearly engaged, and when the upmixer codecs (Dolby Surround, DTS Neural) are engaged, it usually will indicate that. I'm curious as to why it's showing on the 720 as PCM instead of displaying Dolby Atmos.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks
post #7703 of 8179 Old 05-29-2019, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
For those still on the fence deciding whether to take the plunge to try out the new ARC Genesis, I’ll say just go for it! With so many positive user reviews, there is really no need to worry.

100% agree.
OzHDHT and Franin like this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
post #7704 of 8179 Old 05-29-2019, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
I have an MRX 720, and have just recently finished installing an Atmos system. It appears that my AppleTV 4k is streaming in Atmos, as the logo is appearing on the status screen of the AppleTV, but on the 720 it's displaying as "muti PCM 3/4". I'm assuming this is, in fact, Atmos audio since the heigh speakers are clearly engaged, and when the upmixer codecs (Dolby Surround, DTS Neural) are engaged, it usually will indicate that. I'm curious as to why it's showing on the 720 as PCM instead of displaying Dolby Atmos.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks
Actually Atmos is decoded in the receiver via Bitstream and if you're seeing PCM then you are not receiving Atmos. Your AppleTV is sending PCM when it should be set to Send Bitstream. For your AppleTV input in the 720 if you have your surround mode set as "Dolby Surround" your height speakers will be used for all content because the Dolby Surround upmixer uses all speakers available.

In your AppleTV you have to set it to send Atmos other wise you'll get PCM. Once you set your AppleTV correctly you'll see Atmos when using Atmos content.

I don't have AppleTV but I was able to find this on setting up Atmos on it:
Quote:
On your Apple TV 4K, go to Settings > Video and Audio and select Audio Format. Under Immersive Audio, check that Dolby Atmos is on.
Summa likes this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"

Last edited by Legairre; 05-29-2019 at 05:06 PM.
post #7705 of 8179 Old 05-29-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Actually Atmos is decoded in the receiver via Bitstream and if you're seeing PCM then you are not receiving Atmos. Your AppleTV is sending PCM when it should be set to Send Bitstream. For your AppleTV input in the 720 if you have your surround mode set as "Dolby Surround" your height speakers will be used for all content because the Dolby Surround upmixer uses all speakers available.

In your AppleTV you have to set it to send Atmos other wise you'll get PCM. Once you set your AppleTV correctly you'll see Atmos when using Atmos content.

Hmm...those are the steps I went through on the ATV after updating the firmware. (The Immersive Audio option wasn't initially present, but once updated, it showed up.) I'm getting the logo on the actual movie, so perhaps I need to change the surround mode on the 720 itself? I was assuming it would automatically see Atmos, but I notice that sometimes I need to actually select the format when it's a non-Atmos stream...so perhaps Atmos will show up as an option on the 720? I'll have to check after work. The Apple should be set up to send Atmos though, so I guess the plot thickens. Sure sounded good, whatever it was lol.
post #7706 of 8179 Old 05-29-2019, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Quote:

100% agree.
me too. ran genesis (beta) for the first time today. didn’t have alot of time for critical listening but initial impressions better than Arc2. as mentioned previous, speakers set a few db higher than arc 2. will listen/tweak more when back home
simpjr likes this.
post #7707 of 8179 Old 05-29-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMG View Post
For what it's worth, I went from an old Rotel RSX-1056 receiver with a Rotel RB-1080 amp for the mains, to just the MRX-720. Speakers didn't change (B&W 703s up front and a Paradigm Sub 12 for the low end).

The Rotel wasn't a bad sounding receiver, but it didn't have digital inputs so it was time to upgrade. Just comparing the two setups in straight 2 channel without any sub or room correction, it was close. I'd definitely give the edge to the Anthem, but it wasn't a "wow" difference.

Throwing the room correction on the Anthem into the mix and comparing them in a 2.1 setup, and it's night and day. The Anthem trounces the old Rotel. Same with 5.1. No comparison. The overall integration, clarity, and presentation with the Anthem is far superior.

Suffice to say I'm absolutely sold on the benefits of room correction.
Thanks for that feedback. I really appreciate it. I wouldnt be considering this unit due to my hearing loss and tinitus, but since I heard the LINN demo, it makes sense to consider some RC. I do have the Audessey on my Denon bedroom system and its okay, primarily timing the speakers. Obviously looking for more. So I am considering the ARC or perhaps the Dirac Live RC.

What I may do is buy the unit while the 20% off deal is going on from Crutchfield that has a 60 day return policy....this way I can compare....my local dealer certainly wont allow me to do that.
post #7708 of 8179 Old 05-29-2019, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

From what I've read so far, AppleTV 4k doesn't actually have the ability to bitstream Atmos...it uses something called "MAT" over HDMI, and then it shows up as LPCM on the receiver end. This is really getting ridiculous. It's incredibly difficult to tell where the problem lies, or if there even is a problem. I'm just going to call Anthem in the morning and let them figure it out.
post #7709 of 8179 Old 05-29-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazpri View Post
anybody knows what the Differential-Output D/A of 32bit & 768kHz would be good for?
Is that necessary for some sort of signals of the new multichannel types?
we all like big numbrs - don't we...
Here is a link to the AKM DAC that is used on the MRX...
https://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/d...artno=AK4458VN

In diufferent applications those specs could be used but I dont know if the MRX does....I am guessing that the limit is 24/192
post #7710 of 8179 Old 05-30-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
From what I've read so far, AppleTV 4k doesn't actually have the ability to bitstream Atmos...it uses something called "MAT" over HDMI, and then it shows up as LPCM on the receiver end. This is really getting ridiculous. It's incredibly difficult to tell where the problem lies, or if there even is a problem. I'm just going to call Anthem in the morning and let them figure it out.
Dolby MAT 2.0 is a container for multichannel LPCM audio, including Atmos. So you're getting the correct payload. Here's more info from Dolby:

Quote:
Dolby Atmos in Dolby MAT

In the past, the Dolby MAT encoder existed in a Blu-ray player to pack the variable bitrate
Dolby TrueHD bitstreams for transmission over the fixed bitrate HDMI. A MAT decoder is
subsequently used in an AVR to unpack the Dolby TrueHD bitstreams. With the introduction
of Dolby Atmos, we have expanded this technology to support encoding of Dolby Atmos
content as lossless pulse-code modulation (PCM) audio.

A key benefit of Dolby MAT 2.0 is that Dolby Atmos object audio can be live encoded and
transmitted from a source device with limited latency and processing complexity. Among
the possible sources are broadcast set-top boxes and game consoles. The Dolby MAT 2.0
decoder in an AVR outputs the object-based audio and object audio metadata for further
processing. The Dolby MAT 2.0 container is scalable and leverages the full potential of the
HDMI audio pipeline.

Not sure what is supposed to be displayed on the Anthem, though.
Summa and GeekWave like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page