Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 262 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13660Likes

post #7831 of 9240 Old 06-11-2019, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by fscottwhite1 View Post
I read your comment and, given that I'm still fairly new to my MRX, turned ARC off for my Play Fi input. I must agree with you in that music does sound much more lively. I've listened to various genres and it sounds much better to me. I'm leaving it off for 2 channel music. Thanks for the suggestion! Not sure if others have experimented with this.
Like you, madrac and others, I flip flop on whether 2 channel music sounds better with or without ARC. In some ways, the sound seems more "sorted out" with a little less edginess to it. On the other hand, this also tends to make the sound a bit restrained or polite, especially when listening to music with a lot of high hat detail and high frequency ambience like live jazz. I'm not a fan of some of ARC's effects on my main speakers, as I think in some ways, it is taking some of the natural character away and shooting for a generic mathematical best curve.

I've tried some comparisons with ARC on and off for music, and it is not easy to quickly compare due to level differences. I've also tried lowering max correction frequencies (particularly on the mains), and also turning the high frequency roll off to flat. The sound is different, but not necessarily the same as with ARC off.

For multichannel content like movies and TV, I do like to use ARC as it handles the multitude of crossover values well between 9 channels and 3 subs. In this case, I think ARC does a better job than I could do without a serious multichannel DSP device.

As I lower max EQ to around 500 or less for music, I start to question the need to even use room correction. If you have REW and a miniDSP to properly integrate subs/mains for music, I'm not sure everyone needs the assistance of ARC and the possible change in sound it applies, even with max EQ set very low. Much of this may depend on your room dimensions, how it is treated, your speakers and placement, etc. As we all know, if you get the room environment right first, then room correction's value is debatable.

I will continue to tweak ARC, upload and compare as new Genesis releases become available. Right now, I'm still on the ARC on/off fence when it comes to 2ch music.
mbroadus and Delija like this.

JVC DLA-X790R, Seymour AV Centerstage UF 2.40:1 tensioned electric screen w/ motorized masking, Anthem AVM 60, Jim Holtz Statements L/C/R, SVS SB-16 Ultra (X2), Oppo UDP-203, Parasound Halo A-21, Parasound Halo A-51, Bluesound Node 2i, miniDSP 2X4 HD, Topping D90 DAC, Rogue Audio RP-7 tube preamp, NVIDIA Shield 2015, QNAP 453Pro - In the on-deck circle: 3 completed Selah Audio Illuminismo for L/R/C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7832 of 9240 Old 06-11-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctuary View Post
Hello. I recently ran ARC Genesis in auto mode but couldn’t find the option to reduce the max eq frequency. Is there an option to do so in auto mode? Thank you.
If you run in Auto mode you don't get the flexibility to make changes. At the top left corner of Genesis is a dropdown menu labeled “ARC”. Got to Preferences and change from Auto to Professional mode and open your .arc file again and you’ll be able to make changes.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #7833 of 9240 Old 06-11-2019, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 309
In my case, the fronts are pretty well positioned and optimized for stereo listening + I did manual EQ of subs. The final result is really great.

On the other side, it's much harder to optimize the position (and thus the FR) of center and surround speakers since they are too close to the TV rack and/or the walls. In this case, the benefits of room correction are higher than the drawbacks.

But, in most cases people don't have the "luxury" to properly set their front speakers for stereo listening and don't have optimal rooms, so I understand that even for stereo, ARC (or some other room correction algorithm) provides satisfying results - better than without room correction.

Not to mention that in most cases people don't have enough knowledge or just don't want to "lose" time for manual optimization of the system, including speaker positioning and manual subwoofer integration and EQ. I expect that forum members are not among these people

Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7834 of 9240 Old 06-11-2019, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Genesis and AnthemLogic

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrac View Post
I found this to be the case with ARC 2, and now Genesis. 2-channel music sounds better w/o ARC/Genesis.
I see you have a 2.1 profile for stereo. Do you detect any difference with that versus multichannel & setting listening mode to "None" as per the manual pg 40?
I thought the whole point of AnthemLogic-Music was so that you did not have to disable your speakers in the profile?
Have people tried this?

====
MRX1120, Oppo 203, LG & Samsung HDR, XboneS, Xfinity X1, Harmony
post #7835 of 9240 Old 06-11-2019, 10:12 AM

Dolby Volume Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
- Experiment with Dolby Volume as it can help dialog quite a bit. I believe others have noted that using DV will turn off Atmos channels.
-
There were two problems with Dolby Volume and I was wondering if they have been fixed in recent updates.
-Dolby Volume would turn off Atmos
-Dolby Volume setting is sticky and does not change probperlywhen changing inputs.

I'd like to turn it on for my TV profile, but not if those things are still true.

====
post #7836 of 9240 Old 06-11-2019, 11:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
If you run in Auto mode you don't get the flexibility to make changes. At the top left corner of Genesis is a dropdown menu labeled “ARC”. Got to Preferences and change from Auto to Professional mode and open your .arc file again and you’ll be able to make changes.
Thank you very much for the reply. When I do this will it be possible to make changes to the calibration file so I don’t need to do a new calibration?
post #7837 of 9240 Old 06-11-2019, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctuary View Post
Thank you very much for the reply. When I do this will it be possible to make changes to the calibration file so I don’t need to do a new calibration?
Sure just make sure you re-open the file after changing from Auto to Professional mode and you can make all the changes you like without have to re-calibrate. It was nice of Anthem to let us calibrate in Auto mode and still switch to professional without having to re-calibrate.
Sanctuary likes this.

post #7838 of 9240 Old 06-11-2019, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by vodil View Post
I thought the whole point of AnthemLogic-Music was so that you did not have to disable your speakers in the profile?
Have people tried this?
Yes, AnthemLogic-Music is basically aa "enhanced" Stereo listening mode . Also whether ARC on or off sounds better typically has a lot to do with a. you room and b. you speakers. So for some it certainly sounds better on whereas others may like off better (for music).
For me personally on is the way to go - and one of the main reasons why I recently picked up an MRX.
post #7839 of 9240 Old 06-11-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post
Yes, AnthemLogic-Music is basically aa "enhanced" Stereo listening mode . Also whether ARC on or off sounds better typically has a lot to do with a. you room and b. you speakers. So for some it certainly sounds better on whereas others may like off better (for music).
For me personally on is the way to go - and one of the main reasons why I recently picked up an MRX.
Same here in my room ARC on sounds better,

post #7840 of 9240 Old 06-11-2019, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Have people tried this?
As I understand, AnthemLogic-Music adds ambience to your room by also sending sound to surrounds (not center to maintain imaging). I am not sure whether surrounds include ATMOS height/ceiling as not tried this.

Setting a 2.1 profile disables all but fronts & sub. Setting 2.0 listening mode to none means no processing, and thus only uses front speakers + sub. I was just wondering if one is better than the other (I've not experimented yet).
post #7841 of 9240 Old 06-11-2019, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Anthem logic music does include height as well as surrounds, no center. Anthem cinema includes all speakers. This applies as long as you setup the profile with all speakers.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #7842 of 9240 Old 06-11-2019, 06:47 PM
NMG

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
For me, the only way I can EQ my sub is through my 720. When I listen to music it's 2.1, so having it take care of that is critical. In my environment, the difference in bass performance between using Genesis and not is staggering.
Bleeding Edge likes this.
post #7843 of 9240 Old 06-11-2019, 07:14 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Analog inputs and ARC

From reading some of the recent posts I am getting the impression that IF I connect an outboard DAC to the MRX, I can allow the analog system to be converted to Digital....then back to Analog....in this case apparently ARC will control the sound..

But if I set the signal to pass thru and not be converted back to Digital, then ARC apparently cannot "correct" that signal???
Norris Kasey likes this.
post #7844 of 9240 Old 06-12-2019, 12:53 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5890 Post(s)
Liked: 8428
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshu View Post
From reading some of the recent posts I am getting the impression that IF I connect an outboard DAC to the MRX, I can allow the analog system to be converted to Digital....then back to Analog....in this case apparently ARC will control the sound..

But if I set the signal to pass thru and not be converted back to Digital, then ARC apparently cannot "correct" that signal???
ARC is Digital audio processing. If you don’t allow the Anthem to convert Analog audio input to Digital then *ALL* audio processing is bypassed for such input: No ARC, no Crossover, no speaker Distance adjustments, no surround sound Modes, nothing except basic Volume control. You’ve turned the Anthem into a “simple” Analog pre-amp / amp.
—Bob
toshu likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #7845 of 9240 Old 06-12-2019, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Kasey View Post
Anthem logic music does include height as well as surrounds, no center. Anthem cinema includes all speakers. This applies as long as you setup the profile with all speakers.

thanks for the clarification.
post #7846 of 9240 Old 06-12-2019, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Guys, need your help. My MRX-720 suddenly unable to get the Setup menu up. Everything else works like volume, Input selection etc...only the Setup Menu unable to invoke. As I cycle through the Info button. I discovered that there is an "error" on the OSD Version. I have tried re-install the firmware update but the problem persist. I have no idea what happened. Is there a way to do a factory reset or sort?

Anyway, I have already sent a support ticket to Anthem and await their response. Meanwhile, anyone who have similar problem in the past, do provide a resolution here for me to try. I will appreciate

Thanks!
post #7847 of 9240 Old 06-12-2019, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by desray2k View Post
Guys, need your help. My MRX-720 suddenly unable to get the Setup menu up. Everything else works like volume, Input selection etc...only the Setup Menu unable to invoke. As I cycle through the Info button. I discovered that there is an "error" on the OSD Version. I have tried re-install the firmware update but the problem persist. I have no idea what happened. Is there a way to do a factory reset or sort?

Anyway, I have already sent a support ticket to Anthem and await their response. Meanwhile, anyone who have similar problem in the past, do provide a resolution here for me to try. I will appreciate

Thanks!
First try a software reboot. That will reboot the system while keeping all your settings. Unplug the 720 and then press the Main power button 4 or 5 times to drain the residual power. Then plug back in and power on. See if that clears up the error. If not, then you can try the factory reset, but be aware that resets everything, including clearing out uploaded ARC profiles. You might want to try doing this reboot, then reloading the firmware one more time before trying factory reset.

To do a factory reset, power off the unit, then press and hold the front panel Select button while pressing the Main power button, then release both. Unit should turn on and revert to factory condition.

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVR 60 | 5.2.4 Config: MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL X FL/FR, ESL C Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Motion 4i Atmos | Subs: Velodyne DD-15, Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x | Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 FL/C/FR, Emotiva A-700 Surrounds and Atmos

post #7848 of 9240 Old 06-12-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyRider View Post
First try a software reboot. That will reboot the system while keeping all your settings. Unplug the 720 and then press the Main power button 4 or 5 times to drain the residual power. Then plug back in and power on. See if that clears up the error. If not, then you can try the factory reset, but be aware that resets everything, including clearing out uploaded ARC profiles. You might want to try doing this reboot, then reloading the firmware one more time before trying factory reset.

To do a factory reset, power off the unit, then press and hold the front panel Select button while pressing the Main power button, then release both. Unit should turn on and revert to factory condition.

Thanks already did the hard reset but to no avail. I don't know how the OSD display error (likely the main cause of the whole problem) occur in the first place. Waiting Anthem Support to see if there is anyway to get the OSD to work.
post #7849 of 9240 Old 06-12-2019, 09:34 AM

Input numbers lost in Setup

Quote:
Abit confused. You are not connecting your HDMI to one of the inputs on your Anthem AVR? Then how you get sound?
No; my physical inputs are HDMI, the part that can be confusing is that the AVR using the term "Input" for a logical input, which can use any of the physical inputs. The issue that I was addressing (albeit badly) is that the number of input exists only in the name on the AVR setup. If you change that to be a meaningful name (e.g. "Xbox") then there is no way to know the input number (that I can find in setup). On the other hand the Harmony remote only knows the input number not the name. I had to go back and figure out the input numbers (and add them to the name.)

====
post #7850 of 9240 Old 06-12-2019, 09:44 AM

Input number labeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittermidget View Post
No issue at all. I use a Harmony as well. Basically all the Harmony wants to know is what input number should the Anthem be set to for a given activity.

An example:

Anthem Input 4- In the Anthem menu, select the proper HDMI input (let's say HDMI1)
Anthem Input 5- In the Anthem menu, select the proper HDMI input (let's say HDMI1 again)
Anthem Input 6- In the Anthem menu, select the proper HDMI input (let's say HDMI1 again)

So now the Anthem has three separate Inputs that you can pick, but all 3 use the HDMI1 input on the back of the Anthem. (One cable from source to Anthem)

Now in the Harmony, just create 3 individual Activities and make sure each activity is programmed to set the Anthem to the correct input.

You're done!
This works great. Thanks.

One annoyance is that it can be hard to keep track of the input number, if you change the name in Setup to something meaningful. I have now taken to adding the input number to the name (e.g. FM-6). The HDMI input number is shown but not the label--which is important when using the Harmony as it only known the input numbers and not their names.

====
post #7851 of 9240 Old 06-12-2019, 09:48 AM

Everytime you rotate through the inputs they are numbered on the front display panel on the MRX. No need to put the number in the name

vodil likes this.
post #7852 of 9240 Old 06-12-2019, 09:48 AM

Pop goes weasel

I am quite happy with Genesis, but there is one issue that has arisen.
When I do things like fast forward over commercials on my DVR , there is now an annoying pop that happens when it stops.
I would not think this a Genesis issue, except that it only started happening since I updated the profiles with Genesis.
Anybody have this problem or suggestions?

====
post #7853 of 9240 Old 06-12-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Kasey View Post
Everytime you rotate through the inputs they are numbered on the front display panel on the MRX. No need to put the number in the name
Unless you can't see the screen and the front display at the same time

====
post #7854 of 9240 Old 06-12-2019, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliron View Post
Then I wired it up to the rest of a 7.1 channel all Focal system. Receiver goes into protective mode and shuts off when the volume is increased at all, either playing blu-ray or streaming. Also, no sound into the right side surround and very soft into the right rear bipolar surround, this channel distorts if increased. I haven’t had a chance to talk to Anthem support yet as they are only available when Im working. Suggestions?
Let's do some basic trouble isolation:

1) Disable all but the main L/R speakers in the speaker setup menu. Does that work normally? If so, go to 3).

2) If not, disconnect the speaker wires for all but the L/R speakers. Does that work normally? If so, go to 3).

3) Carefully inspect the surround speaker wiring. Use an ohmmeter to check for proper resistance between the speaker conductors. If no meter, move the known good L main speaker to a surround output. Re-enable the surround speakers in the menu. Does that work normally? If so, something fishy with the surround speakers or wiring.

4) If not, await your chat with Anthem. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/redface.gif[/IMG]
Here’s a follow up to this problem. So, after changing the speaker cables, the LCR worked fine, however I still was getting no sound into the right surround and low output with distortion into the right rear bipole speaker.

I was preparing to take a look at the wiring when the receiver suddenly stopped outputting any sound, not even the internally generated test tone. I called Anthem Support within business hours but got no response whatsoever. I returned it to my vendor.

Today I was advised that the unit had a bad amplifier board and was given a new MRX 720. This was a replacement for brand-new unit. Thus ends (or begins) the incredibly frustrating odyssey with this receiver.

I will say it’s the best sounding receiver I ever owned—when it worked. But this entire affair has been less than confidence-inspiring. Caveat emptor.
post #7855 of 9240 Old 06-12-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
This works great. Thanks.

One annoyance is that it can be hard to keep track of the input number, if you change the name in Setup to something meaningful. I have now taken to adding the input number to the name (e.g. FM-6). The HDMI input number is shown but not the label--which is important when using the Harmony as it only known the input numbers and not their names.
You can change the names in the MyHarmony software... Not at home, but I think it's under customize buttons.
post #7856 of 9240 Old 06-12-2019, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No; my physical inputs are HDMI, the part that can be confusing is that the AVR using the term "Input" for a logical input, which can use any of the physical inputs. The issue that I was addressing (albeit badly) is that the number of input exists only in the name on the AVR setup. If you change that to be a meaningful name (e.g. "Xbox") then there is no way to know the input number (that I can find in setup). On the other hand the Harmony remote only knows the input number not the name. I had to go back and figure out the input numbers (and add them to the name.)

Got you. Thanks for clarifying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7857 of 9240 Old 06-13-2019, 02:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks already did the hard reset but to no avail. I don't know how the OSD display error (likely the main cause of the whole problem) occur in the first place. Waiting Anthem Support to see if there is anyway to get the OSD to work.
Just a follow-up to my issue, I have sent in my unit for repair at the dealer's service centre...it is too unstable. First it works for a brief moment, then lock-up and freezes. I don't know what to make of it. Anthem Tech support only advised me to do hard reset and perform firmware update which I have already umpteen times with success...but the issues that cropped up are just too random and intermittent.

Can't take any chance, decide to sent in for diagnostics and repair. I doubt the tech people in service centre can do any miracle.
post #7858 of 9240 Old 06-14-2019, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I am quite happy with Genesis, but there is one issue that has arisen.
When I do things like fast forward over commercials on my DVR , there is now an annoying pop that happens when it stops.
I would not think this a Genesis issue, except that it only started happening since I updated the profiles with Genesis.
Anybody have this problem or suggestions?
I also get a pop when changing channels on my FIOS STB, which is connected directly to the TV (Sony 900F) and then audio sent to the Anthem 720 via ARC. I noticed this immediately after updating to the beta, but now it is an intermittent issue. I had popping last night but this morning no pop.

Anthem MRX 720 / Fronts: Paradigm Prestige 85f, 45c / Surround: Paradigm Atoms v7 / Defiance X12
Sony XBR 900F / Apple TV 4K / Sony X800
post #7859 of 9240 Old 06-14-2019, 11:27 AM

Popping sounds with STB

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambros View Post
I also get a pop when changing channels on my FIOS STB, which is connected directly to the TV (Sony 900F) and then audio sent to the Anthem 720 via ARC. I noticed this immediately after updating to the beta, but now it is an intermittent issue. I had popping last night but this morning no pop.
The behavior is intermittent for me; I think it depends on what is on the sound channels at transition. It can be mild or severe or inaudible. I have reproduced it changing channels, but it is far less often/severe than when using the DVR. I am not using the beta, but I am pretty sure this is not an ARC issue, but might be MRX software.

It only seems to happen for me when my DircTV STB is outputing multichannel audio. When the signal is stereo, I get no pops. This used to be a problem for DirecTV on 5.1 signals, but I thought it was fixed. But if it is happening with other providers then it might be an Anthem issue.

====
post #7860 of 9240 Old 06-14-2019, 03:02 PM

Anyone having a issue when you correct up to 20khz you get alot of distortion from high frequencies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page