Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 266 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13156Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7951 of 8083 Old 06-25-2019, 12:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
Delija's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NS
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatterson View Post
Hi All

New 720 owner here. So I ran the Genesis software with the attached results. As you can see, the native bass response, especially on the front left speaker, is quite high. Ditto for the center and surround left. For some reason, the >5K response for the front speakers is also naturally elevated. Unfortunately, the speaker positions are pretty much fixed.

When I activate the genesis corrections and listen to some music, although the room gain remains elevated, the bass level and character sound completely washed-out - like the bass setting is turned completed off.

So listening to the uncorrected speakers obviously provides too much bass, while the genesis settings removes too much. Is there a way to adjust the genesis parameters to reach a "happy medium"? It is not obvious how to accomplish this but if a guide is available, I will appreciate the reference

Also, as noted by other posters, for some reason the high frequency sounds are also "washed out", ie they have last their sparkle and ambience. Not sure why this is happening because the software hasn't affected those frequencies and/or doesn't go that high, but the difference in sound is noticeable

Finally, I do not understand the references to a subwoofer in the specs as I do not have a subwoofer attached....

Any insights will be appreciated!

Thanks!
I'm affraid without subwoofer(s) it will be hard to accomplish what you want.
Obviously you have a lot of room gain in your room (with current speaker positioning) + some pretty significant room modes. ARC does what's expected to do - cuts all that and leaves very significant room gain - 6dB.
Without subwoofers(s) you cannot create appropriate house curve.
Maybe you could try with 'Deep Bass Boost' in combination with appropriate high-pass filter to "mimic" some of the natural (for your room) speaker response, but be careful not to boost too much parts of the FR which don't have so high room "boost" - e.g. around 70 Hz.

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
Delija is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7952 of 8083 Old 06-25-2019, 06:49 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,214
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5786 Post(s)
Liked: 8259
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatterson View Post
Hi All

New 720 owner here. So I ran the Genesis software with the attached results. As you can see, the native bass response, especially on the front left speaker, is quite high. Ditto for the center and surround left. For some reason, the >5K response for the front speakers is also naturally elevated. Unfortunately, the speaker positions are pretty much fixed.

When I activate the genesis corrections and listen to some music, although the room gain remains elevated, the bass level and character sound completely washed-out - like the bass setting is turned completed off.

So listening to the uncorrected speakers obviously provides too much bass, while the genesis settings removes too much. Is there a way to adjust the genesis parameters to reach a "happy medium"? It is not obvious how to accomplish this but if a guide is available, I will appreciate the reference

Also, as noted by other posters, for some reason the high frequency sounds are also "washed out", ie they have last their sparkle and ambience. Not sure why this is happening because the software hasn't affected those frequencies and/or doesn't go that high, but the difference in sound is noticeable

Finally, I do not understand the references to a subwoofer in the specs as I do not have a subwoofer attached....

Any insights will be appreciated!

Thanks!
The Subwoofer line for your Fronts is simply showing the low frequency roll off Genesis is using for your "full range" Front speakers.

The Subwoofer line for your Center and Surrounds is showing "Send Bass to Subwoofer". Since you do not have a Subwoofer configured in your setup, what that is SUPPOSED to do is send the bass (via Crossover processing) to your "full range" Front speakers.

However Genesis is new, and there may be a bug in that. The way to check is to temporarily disconnect the Center speaker wiring (so it stays silent) and then send a bass test tone to Center and see if you get output on the Front speakers. If not, then you are losing quite a lot of bass content -- extracted from Center and Surrounds but not actually being played anywhere else.
--Bob
gbreda likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!

Last edited by Bob Pariseau; 06-25-2019 at 06:52 AM.
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #7953 of 8083 Old 06-25-2019, 09:45 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Vernon, BC
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
The Subwoofer line for your Fronts is simply showing the low frequency roll off Genesis is using for your "full range" Front speakers.

The Subwoofer line for your Center and Surrounds is showing "Send Bass to Subwoofer". Since you do not have a Subwoofer configured in your setup, what that is SUPPOSED to do is send the bass (via Crossover processing) to your "full range" Front speakers.

However Genesis is new, and there may be a bug in that. The way to check is to temporarily disconnect the Center speaker wiring (so it stays silent) and then send a bass test tone to Center and see if you get output on the Front speakers. If not, then you are losing quite a lot of bass content -- extracted from Center and Surrounds but not actually being played anywhere else.
--Bob
Wow - this is great stuff! thank you all for the information! Now all I need to do figure out time to play with it. I hope I can get it to work - because although the 720 is a marvelous-sounding AVR, I am not sure it is approximately 4X the cost better than my previous AVR, a Yamaha RXV577. I bought the Anthem because of the Genesis software, if I can't get it to accommodate my crappy room situation, it is a bit overkill
dwatterson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7954 of 8083 Old 06-26-2019, 05:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Henry Lambert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I received my new 720 a week ago. I hooked it up to give it a quick try. I only had a couple of hours to test it out.
I had to go out of town for work and this is the first time that I have had internet service since then.
I connected an Oppo BDP 83, a Sony Ubp-x800, and an old PS3 to it.
At first the 720 would not power up. I thought that it was DOA. I found out that the problem was with the power cord. If I put my hand behind the unit and held the power cord in place it would power up. Take your hand away and the unit shuts down.
The power cord does not fit very well. I used the one from my old receiver and it worked fine.
I did not get any sound or video out of the receiver from any of the connected devices. The OSD comes on fine and the test tones will play so I did setup the speakers.
I tried all of the inputs. I can get nothing from any of them.
I had to give up at this point and get some sleep. By this time it was 2:00 am and I had to be up at 4:30 am and drive for 4 hours to get to my work site.
To say that I am not impressed with this receiver would be an understatement.
I will get home for this weekend and will hope for better luck.
Henry Lambert is offline  
post #7955 of 8083 Old 06-27-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,594
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked: 651
I'm thinking of purchasing an MRX 720 for a 5.1.4 Atmos setup.
Since the 720 only has 7 amplified channels, what would be a half-decent 2-channel amp (100W/c) that I would need for the 2 extra Atmos channels?
I have Paradigm Prestige 85F, 55C, and 15B speakers, with a pair pf PSB Alpha A1s for front heights, and probably NHT SuperZero 2.1s for rear heights. The sub will be a Mini Marty with an SI 18D2 driver powered by a NU3KDSP amp.
sigpig is offline  
post #7956 of 8083 Old 06-27-2019, 04:47 PM
Member
 
madrac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
I'm thinking of purchasing an MRX 720 for a 5.1.4 Atmos setup.
Since the 720 only has 7 amplified channels, what would be a half-decent 2-channel amp (100W/c) that I would need for the 2 extra Atmos channels?
I have Paradigm Prestige 85F, 55C, and 15B speakers, with a pair pf PSB Alpha A1s for front heights, and probably NHT SuperZero 2.1s for rear heights. The sub will be a Mini Marty with an SI 18D2 driver powered by a NU3KDSP amp.
you could consider a classD audio 2 or emotiva basx series. i recall also seeing some reasonably priced 2 channel amps on parts express
madrac is offline  
post #7957 of 8083 Old 06-30-2019, 03:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Henry Lambert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I have had some time to try setting up my 720.
I can get sound from all three of the devices I have hooked up to it.
I can get video from the Oppo BDP 83 using any of the HDMI cables with any of the inputs.
I do not get any video using either the Sony UBP-X800 or the PS3 with any of my cables on any of the inputs. When I turn on the x-800 the Sony emblem will flash on the screen for a second and then I will get a no device connected warning. The TV is a 1080p Samsung.
I do not have any other cables to try. I do not see how new cables could fix this because the oppo will work with any of the cables I have.
Any idea on what I should try next.
Thanks.
Henry Lambert is offline  
post #7958 of 8083 Old 06-30-2019, 08:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Norris Kasey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Lambert View Post
I have had some time to try setting up my 720.

I can get sound from all three of the devices I have hooked up to it.

I can get video from the Oppo BDP 83 using any of the HDMI cables with any of the inputs.

I do not get any video using either the Sony UBP-X800 or the PS3 with any of my cables on any of the inputs. When I turn on the x-800 the Sony emblem will flash on the screen for a second and then I will get a no device connected warning. The TV is a 1080p Samsung.

I do not have any other cables to try. I do not see how new cables could fix this because the oppo will work with any of the cables I have.

Any idea on what I should try next.

Thanks.
Pull HDMI cord from TV plug it back up see if that helps.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Norris Kasey is offline  
post #7959 of 8083 Old 06-30-2019, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
rwheelwright's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 611
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Lambert View Post
I have had some time to try setting up my 720.
I can get sound from all three of the devices I have hooked up to it.
I can get video from the Oppo BDP 83 using any of the HDMI cables with any of the inputs.
I do not get any video using either the Sony UBP-X800 or the PS3 with any of my cables on any of the inputs. When I turn on the x-800 the Sony emblem will flash on the screen for a second and then I will get a no device connected warning. The TV is a 1080p Samsung.
I do not have any other cables to try. I do not see how new cables could fix this because the oppo will work with any of the cables I have.
Any idea on what I should try next.
Thanks.
I can't speak for the PS3 but did you try resetting the x800?

Try these step.

1.Using the supplied remote control, press the HOME button.

2.Select Setup or the suitcase icon located on the top right corner of the menu.

Press the ENTER button.

3.Scroll down to the last icon Resetting icon or Resetting.

Press the ENTER button.

4.Select the first option or Reset to Factory Defaults Settings.

Press the ENTER button.

5.Scroll down to the last icon or All Settings.

Press the ENTER button.



NOTE: Start will appear on the left side while Cancel is on the right side.



Select the first option or Start.

NOTE: The reset to the default settings will now start.

Also, maybe connecting directly to your TV to see if you get video then try a reset if you do.
rwheelwright is offline  
post #7960 of 8083 Old 07-01-2019, 03:01 AM
Senior Member
 
Henry Lambert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Thanks for the help.
I connected the 800 directly to the TV and the video worked fine. The video resolution was set to auto. I set this to 1080p and connected it back up to the 720 and the video is working through the receiver now.
Thanks.
Henry Lambert is offline  
post #7961 of 8083 Old 07-02-2019, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
Delija's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NS
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 269
New official release.
https://www.anthemarc.com/downloads/index.php

Version 1.1.0.9006
- added audio capture entitlement when signing macos version to prevent crash on macos 10.14.5
- request audio capture permission when first entering the microphone selection screen
- Added Spanish translations
- Added official Anthem MDX-8 and MDX-16 support
- fixed issue where the demo mode was using duplicate curves for position 1 and position 2 (1169)
- improved handling of changes to the speaker / measurement mapping (1455)
- prevent -0.0 from being selecte as a test tone level during the auto level sequence (1427)
- further improvements to always release exclusive control as soon as possible (1376)
- further refinements to calibration file download
- fixed Defiance X10/X12/X15 don't work over USB connections (1397)
- fixed issue where windows versions incorrectly required the user to have the vs2012 redistributable installed (1432)
- fixed auto phase adjust sweep output for STR Integrated R and L subs (1406)
- improved handling for when phase adjust needs arc upload (1333)
- decreased phase adjust sweep volume (1334)
- added cancel button to the auto phase screen (1439)
- improved audio error handling on windows
- improved handling of usb errors (mac and windows)
- added automatic check for new ARC Genesis updates, prompts with option to open browser and download manually
- added option to enroll for beta releases (in preferences screen)
- increased STR profile name to allow up to 9 characters (maximum currently supported by STR IP commands)
- added notarization for mac OS builds to support mac os 10.14.5 or later
- added support for many older Paradigm Subwoofers (8872): DSP-3100, DSP-3200, DSP-3400, Signature SUB 25, Monitor SUB 10, Monitor SUB 12, Monitor SUB 8, SE Sub, SUB 1, SUB 2, SUB 12, SUB 15, UltraCube 10, UltraCube 12, X-300
- fixed Defiance X10/X12/X15 don't work (1397)
- MacOS: fixed an issue where microphones with serial number less than roughly 308000 would incorrectly measure at the maximum microphone volume (1410)
- fixed issue where ARC Genesis would measure 3 dB lower than ARC2 (1410)
- fixed an issue where ARC Genesis would not release exclusive control when leaving quick measure (1376)
- fixed an issue where ARC would claim to have downloaded the microphone calibration file, but it actully failed. (1405)
- MacOS: minor correctness fix in the face of errors when enumerating usb devices (650 and 800)
- MacOS: improved robustness of USB device support (650 and 800)
- fixed clicking cancel in the open file screen causes the app to crash (1392)
- fixed Tilt Start Frequency displays incorrect information in the PDF report (1418)
- fixed an app crash that occured if you clicked 'cancel' after getting communication errors durring the connecting screen (1424)
- fixed issue where app could crash after audio errors during measurment and the user went back to the home screen (1331)
- fixed an issue where scrollbars where not always showing in dropdowns (1411)
- fixed an issue where the 'Resume' was displayed instead of 'Start' in the measurement screen (1370)
- fixed typo correction "Currected" to "Corrected" (1409)
- added a loading indicator for quick measure initialization & removed visiblitly of unused graph title (1383)
- increased visibility of no microphone message
- info popup centered below info icon
- open file screen clears previous device image (1393)
- back button from mic selection screen returns to configure screen (1372)
- red error text fix for measurement screen
- fixed possible clipping in MRX x10/x20 when ARC is turned on (content dependent) (1415)

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
Delija is online now  
post #7962 of 8083 Old 07-02-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
BGLeduc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 5,735
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2553 Post(s)
Liked: 2388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
New official release.
https://www.anthemarc.com/downloads/index.php

Version 1.1.0.9006
- added audio capture entitlement when signing macos version to prevent crash on macos 10.14.5
- request audio capture permission when first entering the microphone selection screen
- Added Spanish translations
- Added official Anthem MDX-8 and MDX-16 support
- fixed issue where the demo mode was using duplicate curves for position 1 and position 2 (1169)
- improved handling of changes to the speaker / measurement mapping (1455)
- prevent -0.0 from being selecte as a test tone level during the auto level sequence (1427)
- further improvements to always release exclusive control as soon as possible (1376)
- further refinements to calibration file download
- fixed Defiance X10/X12/X15 don't work over USB connections (1397)
- fixed issue where windows versions incorrectly required the user to have the vs2012 redistributable installed (1432)
- fixed auto phase adjust sweep output for STR Integrated R and L subs (1406)
- improved handling for when phase adjust needs arc upload (1333)
- decreased phase adjust sweep volume (1334)
- added cancel button to the auto phase screen (1439)
- improved audio error handling on windows
- improved handling of usb errors (mac and windows)
- added automatic check for new ARC Genesis updates, prompts with option to open browser and download manually
- added option to enroll for beta releases (in preferences screen)
- increased STR profile name to allow up to 9 characters (maximum currently supported by STR IP commands)
- added notarization for mac OS builds to support mac os 10.14.5 or later
- added support for many older Paradigm Subwoofers (8872): DSP-3100, DSP-3200, DSP-3400, Signature SUB 25, Monitor SUB 10, Monitor SUB 12, Monitor SUB 8, SE Sub, SUB 1, SUB 2, SUB 12, SUB 15, UltraCube 10, UltraCube 12, X-300
- fixed Defiance X10/X12/X15 don't work (1397)
- MacOS: fixed an issue where microphones with serial number less than roughly 308000 would incorrectly measure at the maximum microphone volume (1410)
- fixed issue where ARC Genesis would measure 3 dB lower than ARC2 (1410)
- fixed an issue where ARC Genesis would not release exclusive control when leaving quick measure (1376)
- fixed an issue where ARC would claim to have downloaded the microphone calibration file, but it actully failed. (1405)
- MacOS: minor correctness fix in the face of errors when enumerating usb devices (650 and 800)
- MacOS: improved robustness of USB device support (650 and 800)
- fixed clicking cancel in the open file screen causes the app to crash (1392)
- fixed Tilt Start Frequency displays incorrect information in the PDF report (1418)
- fixed an app crash that occured if you clicked 'cancel' after getting communication errors durring the connecting screen (1424)
- fixed issue where app could crash after audio errors during measurment and the user went back to the home screen (1331)
- fixed an issue where scrollbars where not always showing in dropdowns (1411)
- fixed an issue where the 'Resume' was displayed instead of 'Start' in the measurement screen (1370)
- fixed typo correction "Currected" to "Corrected" (1409)
- added a loading indicator for quick measure initialization & removed visiblitly of unused graph title (1383)
- increased visibility of no microphone message
- info popup centered below info icon
- open file screen clears previous device image (1393)
- back button from mic selection screen returns to configure screen (1372)
- red error text fix for measurement screen
- fixed possible clipping in MRX x10/x20 when ARC is turned on (content dependent) (1415)
You can't make this stuff up. :-)

- fixed typo correction "Currected" to "Corrected" (1409)

#JB17
BGLeduc is online now  
post #7963 of 8083 Old 07-02-2019, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Is the above a new update?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
mbroadus is offline  
post #7964 of 8083 Old 07-02-2019, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
Delija's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NS
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Obviously, it is

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
Delija is online now  
post #7965 of 8083 Old 07-02-2019, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
Newbie789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Does it fix the +12 speaker level issue? I can’t translate


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Newbie789 is offline  
post #7966 of 8083 Old 07-02-2019, 10:23 PM
Member
 
Gradenko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie789 View Post
Does it fix the +12 speaker level issue? I can’t translate
I'm not sure, but this might make a difference:

Quote:
- fixed issue where ARC Genesis would measure 3 dB lower than ARC2 (1410)

Panasonic PT-AE8000 | OZTS 150" 2.35:1
Anthem MRX-720 | FP10000Q x 3
Intel Nuc w/JRiver | Beyonwiz | PS4 | Wii U | Switch
Ascension C1503DAMTL x 3, C812AVTL x 4, Mach5 UXL-18 x 2 (17Hz tune)
Gradenko is offline  
post #7967 of 8083 Old 07-03-2019, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,643
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Anthem say to rerun the Genesis calibration

I'm posting this in a the three Anthem threads just in case someone doesn't frequent all of them. I was wondering if we must run a complete calibration every time a new version of Genesis is released or if we can just upload our old ARC file into the new version. I wrote Anthem and they replied saying we should rerun a complete calibration with the new version and get a new ARC file instead of uploading our old file into the new version.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is offline  
post #7968 of 8083 Old 07-03-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
Obviously, it is

The reason I ask is because it’s the same # that’s already installed on my MacBook. Do they do automatic updated now?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
mbroadus is offline  
post #7969 of 8083 Old 07-03-2019, 09:04 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,214
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5786 Post(s)
Liked: 8259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
I'm posting this in a the three Anthem threads just in case someone doesn't frequent all of them. I was wondering if we must run a complete calibration every time a new version of Genesis is released or if we can just upload our old ARC file into the new version. I wrote Anthem and they replied saying we should rerun a complete calibration with the new version and get a new ARC file instead of uploading our old file into the new version.
For at least the next few releases of Genesis, you should expect you will need to re-do your Measurement pass every time to take advantage of the goodness of the new fixes and improvements.

Eventually it will settle down and you will only need to do an "Auto Detect" on your current Measurements (existing file) to get the new goodness. This will happen once they stop making changes in how Measurement, itself, actually works, and what gets written into the file.
--Bob
BGLeduc likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #7970 of 8083 Old 07-03-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,643
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
For at least the next few releases of Genesis, you should expect you will need to re-do your Measurement pass every time to take advantage of the goodness of the new fixes and improvements.

Eventually it will settle down and you will only need to do an "Auto Detect" on your current Measurements (existing file) to get the new goodness. This will happen once they stop making changes in how Measurement, itself, actually works, and what gets written into the file.
--Bob
Thanks Bob, yeah as long as they are making changes to the measurements we'll have to run a a complete calibration. Like you said once things settle down we can just upload our current file. I guess we'll just have to keep an eye on the install log and as long as the changes are cosmetic or minor we don't need to run a calibration.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is offline  
post #7971 of 8083 Old 07-03-2019, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
Delija's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NS
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
The reason I ask is because it’s the same # that’s already installed on my MacBook. Do they do automatic updated now?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
1.1.0.9006?
That's strange...

Did you use beta version?
Do you have install file of your current version?

In Windows version of Genesis I don't see an option for update. It has to be done manually.

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
Delija is online now  
post #7972 of 8083 Old 07-03-2019, 09:16 AM
Read the FAQ!
 
Bob Pariseau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 35,214
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5786 Post(s)
Liked: 8259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Thanks Bob, yeah as long as they are making changes to the measurements we'll have to run a a complete calibration. Like you said once things settle down we can just upload our current file. I guess we'll just have to keep an eye on the install log and as long as the changes are cosmetic or minor we don't need to run a calibration.
Even after they stop making changes in Measurements, you should expect the procedure for getting the best from a prior file will include doing a global Auto Detect for levels and speaker settings on that file, followed by any personal tweaks you want to make away from the settings Genesis chooses for you during that Auto Detect.

--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Bob Pariseau is online now  
post #7973 of 8083 Old 07-03-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,643
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Even after they stop making changes in Measurements, you should expect the procedure for getting the best from a prior file will include doing a global Auto Detect for levels and speaker settings on that file, followed by any personal tweaks you want to make away from the settings Genesis chooses for you during that Auto Detect.

--Bob
Thank Bob, couldn't agree more.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is offline  
post #7974 of 8083 Old 07-03-2019, 09:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Norris Kasey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 228
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
1.1.0.9006?

That's strange...



Did you use beta version?

Do you have install file of your current version?



In Windows version of Genesis I don't see an option for update. It has to be done manually.
Genesis can notify you of updates but you have to do the install manually if I recall. I think it will download the update but you have to install it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Norris Kasey is offline  
post #7975 of 8083 Old 07-03-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
1.1.0.9006?

That's strange...



Did you use beta version?

Do you have install file of your current version?



In Windows version of Genesis I don't see an option for update. It has to be done manually.

No, I did not have the beta version. I installed Genesis when Anthem made the announcement.






Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro

Last edited by mbroadus; 07-03-2019 at 10:23 AM.
mbroadus is offline  
post #7976 of 8083 Old 07-03-2019, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member
 
Delija's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: NS
Posts: 601
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Then you have the latest version.

This release/update is from 06/28/2019.

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
Delija is online now  
post #7977 of 8083 Old 07-03-2019, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
Then you have the latest version.



This release/update is from 06/28/2019.

Cool...must update automatically because my last visit to the arc website was several weeks ago to download Genesis.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
mbroadus is offline  
post #7978 of 8083 Old 07-03-2019, 11:51 AM
Senior Member
 
HarleyRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Far north Chicago suburbs
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Cool...must update automatically because my last visit to the arc website was several weeks ago to download Genesis.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Must be unique to the Mac version. In the Windows version, prior to this latest release of 1.1.0.9006, there wasn't even a "Check for updates" option.

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVR 60 | 5.2.4 Config: MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL X FL/FR, ESL C Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Motion 4i Atmos | Subs: Velodyne DD-15, Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x | Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 FL/C/FR, Emotiva A-700 Surrounds and Atmos

Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
HarleyRider is offline  
post #7979 of 8083 Old 07-03-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mbroadus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 3,340
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyRider View Post
Must be unique to the Mac version. In the Windows version, prior to this latest release of 1.1.0.9006, there wasn't even a "Check for updates" option.

I hope so...I bought a cheap windows laptop a couple years ago to run ARC and rip FLAC. So happy I can use my MacBook Pro now.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro

Last edited by mbroadus; 07-03-2019 at 02:09 PM.
mbroadus is offline  
post #7980 of 8083 Old 07-04-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,590
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2798 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyRider View Post
Must be unique to the Mac version. In the Windows version, prior to this latest release of 1.1.0.9006, there wasn't even a "Check for updates" option.
It does not exist in 1.0.1(8867) for Mac either. It must be only in the latest version. Kinda surprising given how common it is for applications to have an update path. At least it's there now.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off