Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 268 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13548Likes

post #8011 of 8994 Old 07-11-2019, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
I guess you have an audiophile quality amp you want to use for stereo?

Technically you still could, and just use preouts for fronts, use 5 of the 720s aps for other speakers, and then have a third cheaper amp for rear uppers.
Yes you are right.
I am using AVM60 with 5.2.4 at the moment and I want to simplify a bit using just a stereo amp + MRX.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8012 of 8994 Old 07-12-2019, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Kasey View Post
I don't think you can drive 4 heights only 2 on the internal amps. Someone correct me if I am wrong

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
This is correct - you can only drive 2 heights with the 720's internal amps.
post #8013 of 8994 Old 07-13-2019, 09:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Something odd is happening with Genesis and subwoofer measurements.

The first version of Genesis gave me 3rd order with low frequency extension at 24 Hz and minimum correction at 20 Hz.

This latest version sets me to 2nd order with low extension to 48 Hz an minimum correction at 40 Hz.

Everything else measure virtually identically.

Needless to say, that sounds very different. What gives?

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8014 of 8994 Old 07-13-2019, 10:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post

The first version of Genesis gave me 3rd order with low frequency extension at 24 Hz and minimum correction at 20 Hz.

This latest version sets me to 2nd order with low extension to 48 Hz an minimum correction at 40 Hz.

It seems for every changes made to the ARC Genesis, there is bound to have some changes esp with the subwoofer response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8015 of 8994 Old 07-15-2019, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post

I had a similar situation with a few Genesis runs when I first switched from ARC2. I have solid output down to upper teens with 3 sealed subs. ARC2 applied a 2nd order HPF and a low frequency extension of 19 Hz, while Genesis was applying a 6th order at around 44Hz with a minimum EQ correction around the same value. After looking closely at Genesis response graphs for the sub channel, several mic positions showed a response dip in the 50 Hz region that were not present in my ARC2 runs...probably because I changed mic locations compared to last ARC2 run. I believe Genesis saw these dips and chose a higher value for sub. After changing measurement mic positions and rerunning Genesis, it finally picked a much lower value and things sound better.

I would do a sub quick measure for all your selected measurement positions and see if a few of them show a null or large dip in the 30-50 Hz area. If they do, try to change mic positions where you see abnormal dips and recheck/adjust sub position and/or delay if you have multiple subs.

I have found that Genesis can provide vastly different EQ solutions/room gain claculations from run to run even when you think the mic locations are identical run to run.
Erod and Norris Kasey like this.

JVC DLA-X790R, Seymour AV Centerstage UF 2.40:1 tensioned electric screen w/ motorized masking, Anthem AVM 60, Jim Holtz Statements L/C/R, SVS SB-16 Ultra (X2), Oppo UDP-203, Parasound Halo A-21, Parasound Halo A-51, Bluesound Node 2i, miniDSP 2X4 HD, NVIDIA Shield 2015, QNAP 453Pro - In the on-deck circle: 3 completed Selah Audio Illuminismo for L/R/C
post #8016 of 8994 Old 07-15-2019, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I agree mic position makes a huge difference. Everytime I run it I measure my mic position and height to make sure it's the same height in every position and symmetrical distance. This gives me consistent results with my subwoofers

post #8017 of 8994 Old 07-15-2019, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I agree mic position makes a huge difference. Everytime I run it I measure my mic position and height to make sure it's the same height in every position and symmetrical distance. This gives me consistent results with my subwoofers

Anthem recommends that you adjust the height for different measurements.
Bleeding Edge likes this.

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #8018 of 8994 Old 07-15-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittermidget View Post
I had a similar situation with a few Genesis runs when I first switched from ARC2. I have solid output down to upper teens with 3 sealed subs. ARC2 applied a 2nd order HPF and a low frequency extension of 19 Hz, while Genesis was applying a 6th order at around 44Hz with a minimum EQ correction around the same value. After looking closely at Genesis response graphs for the sub channel, several mic positions showed a response dip in the 50 Hz region that were not present in my ARC2 runs...probably because I changed mic locations compared to last ARC2 run. I believe Genesis saw these dips and chose a higher value for sub. After changing measurement mic positions and rerunning Genesis, it finally picked a much lower value and things sound better.

I would do a sub quick measure for all your selected measurement positions and see if a few of them show a null or large dip in the 30-50 Hz area. If they do, try to change mic positions where you see abnormal dips and recheck/adjust sub position and/or delay if you have multiple subs.

I have found that Genesis can provide vastly different EQ solutions/room gain claculations from run to run even when you think the mic locations are identical run to run.
Seems odd that everyone seems to be getting that same null in the same area. Sounds more like a problem with the software than our subs.

I re-ran it with mic positions closer to the MLP (two in front of the MLP 6 inches lower, and two behind the MLP 6 inches higher), and I got 24 for minimum EQ and 28 for extension. Frankly, it seems like you can adjust these if you want to. ARC-2 usually chose 16 and 20, or 20 and 24, with typically a 4th order.

And I still don't understand why everything is so hot after calibration. With my SPL meter, the speakers are usually around 77-78 dB, and the subs are around 85 dB after running Genesis. Why is that?

Sounds great, but quirky no doubt.

post #8019 of 8994 Old 07-15-2019, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:

My first ARC experience was not very good, and the problem was related to the 1st mic position. Since I wanted to use mic positions at my wife's chair and mine in the first row and the 3 seats in the second row, I decided to use a virtual MLP for 1st mic position between and in front of our front 2 chairs. ARC lowered my reference level to 65 dB and I couldn't understand why, since my sub had 3000 watts available, until I used the curve viewer and saw that the 1st mic position had a huge dip at 40 Hz. Any measurement taken on the centerline of the room is likely to have the same problem. If that is where your MLP actually is, OK, but think about your choices.
Bleeding Edge likes this.

SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, HDFury Integral 2, Oppo UDP 203, Panasonic DP-UB820, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers.
post #8020 of 8994 Old 07-15-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shs1234 View Post
My first ARC experience was not very good, and the problem was related to the 1st mic position. Since I wanted to use mic positions at my wife's chair and mine in the first row and the 3 seats in the second row, I decided to use a virtual MLP for 1st mic position between and in front of our front 2 chairs. ARC lowered my reference level to 65 dB and I couldn't understand why, since my sub had 3000 watts available, until I used the curve viewer and saw that the 1st mic position had a huge dip at 40 Hz. Any measurement taken on the centerline of the room is likely to have the same problem. If that is where your MLP actually is, OK, but think about your choices.
Yeah I don't have a theater room so this works for me. Wish I had the space for it.

post #8021 of 8994 Old 07-15-2019, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Resonances

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittermidget View Post
II would do a sub quick measure for all your selected measurement positions and see if a few of them show a null or large dip in the 30-50 Hz area. If they do, try to change mic positions where you see abnormal dips and recheck/adjust sub position and/or delay if you have multiple subs.

Yes. This frequency range contains the length scales (i.e. half-wavelengths) of typical rooms (8-20'). So, it is very easy to set up resonances (standing waves) which can allow the room to absorb the acoustic energy (i.e. make holes in the spectrum).

If there are standing waves there will also be bright and dark spots in different places and so microphone (and sub-woofer) position will matter. YOne should try to avoid big differences within the broad MLP area, but that can probably only be done with multiple subs that can be moved. If the individual subs can be EQ'd to fill those holes that should be done before ARC.

Its all a bit of an art. The good news is that HT tends to have a broad spectrum down there and the holes will not be so noticeable as they will be compensated for by near-by peaks. e.g. when the rocket takes off you won't notice any problems.

====
MRX1120, Oppo 203, LG & Samsung HDR, XboneS, Xfinity X1, Harmony
post #8022 of 8994 Old 07-15-2019, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
I'm running into an unexpected clipping issue on my Polk CSi5 and RTi10 with my new Anthem MRX1120. I am unable to approach reference volumes without nasty distortion in spoken dialog. This still occurs with ARC off but I never had this on my Marantz SR7009.

Similarly, I'm running into very harsh high end causing me to tweak the treble down to -4dB to take the edge off at high volumes - another thing I didn't experience on my previous AVR - but even lowering the treble doesn't solve the distortion issue. I've heard it said that some amps and AVRs are colored slightly brighter or warmer than each other - maybe it's true? Is it time for me to replace these 12+ year old towers and center?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #8023 of 8994 Old 07-16-2019, 01:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I've just picked up a demo MRX-520 for a good price from an authorised dealer.

However, I am having a few HDMI/HDCP issues with Apple TV 4K.

HDMI input 1 doesn't seem to be working for a start. So that is a dealer issue.

But there is also flickering on HMI Input 3.

I've plugged the Apple TV in HDMI 2 and it plays OK. When I turn on my projector into the second HDMI output both outputs downscale to 1080P, as expected. However, when I turn the projector off the output to my TV stays at 1080P. I have to physically unplug the cable to return it to 4K.

Even my POS Emotiva MC700 didn't require physically unplugging the cable.

Is this normal for Anthem?

I have the latest firmware.
post #8024 of 8994 Old 07-16-2019, 06:37 AM

What cable are you unplugging? The Apple TV or the projector hdmi

post #8025 of 8994 Old 07-16-2019, 09:59 AM

Unhappy Careful with Comcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
Thank you very much! Now if I could only find Xfinity remote codes.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
For whatever reason Xfinity does not have Anthem listed as AVR they carry codes for. In any case the Xfinity remotes are not learning remotes.

If, however, the power and volume codes are the same as one of the many manufacturers they do list, one could get the key functionality back.
Does anyone know?

While a Universal remote (e.g. Harmony hub) can solve this, one loses the benefits of Xfinity remote (e.g voice control) making Anthem-Xfinity a poor match

====
post #8026 of 8994 Old 07-16-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1190 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by vodil View Post
For whatever reason Xfinity does not have Anthem listed as AVR they carry codes for. In any case the Xfinity remotes are not learning remotes.

If, however, the power and volume codes are the same as one of the many manufacturers they do list, one could get the key functionality back.

Does anyone know?

While a Universal remote (e.g. Harmony hub) can solve this, one loses the benefits of Xfinity remote (e.g voice control) making Anthem-Xfinity a poor match

True...just saw arcam listed and wondered why no Anthem. Anyway, I normally use the Anthem or Xfinity apps and can control the AVR volume and cable box with the Xfinity remote. I also have a harmony remote but rarely use it.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-203, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #8027 of 8994 Old 07-16-2019, 12:05 PM

Question Xfinity App

Quote:
True...just saw arcam listed and wondered why no Anthem. Anyway, I normally use the Anthem or Xfinity apps and can control the AVR volume and cable box with the Xfinity remote...
I am confused. What Xfinity App or remote allows you to control the AVR volume?

====
post #8028 of 8994 Old 07-16-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers

Quote:
I am confused. What Xfinity App or remote allows you to control the AVR volume?

The Xfinity TV Remote app and the X1 remote controls the Anthem’s sound via ARC on Panasonic TV.

post #8029 of 8994 Old 07-16-2019, 02:28 PM

Question

Quote:
The Xfinity TV Remote app and the X1 remote controls the Anthem’s sound via ARC on Panasonic TV.
Do you mean that you control the TV sound with the X1 remote and then listen to the TV with the Anthem via the Audio Return Channel (or I suppose the digital audio would work too.) That would not get the Anthem turned on or off, I suppose.
Does that mean you connect the Xfinity STB directly to the TV?

====
post #8030 of 8994 Old 07-16-2019, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
What cable are you unplugging? The Apple TV or the projector hdmi

To get 4K back I have to unplug the cable going to my projector (1080P).
post #8031 of 8994 Old 07-16-2019, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you mean that you control the TV sound with the X1 remote and then listen to the TV with the Anthem via the Audio Return Channel (or I suppose the digital audio would work too.) That would not get the Anthem turned on or off, I suppose.

Does that mean you connect the Xfinity STB directly to the TV?

I have to turn the Anthem AVR on using the Anthem remote but once on, I can control the Anthem’s volume with the Xfinity cable remote. Also, when I turn the TV off, the Anthem turns off as well. The Xfinity cable remote controls the TV which controls the Anthem AVR via ARC, that’s the only way I can think of it working.

post #8032 of 8994 Old 07-16-2019, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dodds View Post
You should be able to either turn your display or AVR off and then back on again to reestablish the handshake. I wrote a macro for my universal remote to do this when having a similar problem. But since I have a HDFury Integral 2 in the chain this has not been a problem.

SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, HDFury Integral 2, Oppo UDP 203, Panasonic DP-UB820, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers.
post #8033 of 8994 Old 07-16-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
It could be your HDMI cable. Sometimes I have to unplug the HDMI from my Sony TV to get 4k back. It happens to me about twice a year.

post #8034 of 8994 Old 07-16-2019, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 3149 Post(s)
Liked: 1932
Quote:
When I turn on my projector into the second HDMI output both outputs downscale to 1080P, as expected. However, when I turn the projector off the output to my TV stays at 1080P. I have to physically unplug the cable to return it to 4K.
Hi Steve,

I have two displays, one accepts 4k, the other 2k. I bought a relatively inexpensive splitter from Gofanco that outputs both resolutions simultaneously. The AVM 60 is quite happy with it -- staying in 4k mode whenever the source permits, regardless of which display is on.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #8035 of 8994 Old 07-17-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
I have to turn the Anthem AVR on using the Anthem remote but once on, I can control the Anthem’s volume with the Xfinity cable remote. Also, when I turn the TV off, the Anthem turns off as well. The Xfinity cable remote controls the TV which controls the Anthem AVR via ARC, that’s the only way I can think of it working.
That must mean you have CEC turned on. I have avoided that.

====
post #8036 of 8994 Old 07-17-2019, 03:30 PM
NMG

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
It could be your HDMI cable. Sometimes I have to unplug the HDMI from my Sony TV to get 4k back. It happens to me about twice a year.

I get the odd handshake issue with my Apple TV 4K and MRX 720 as well. It used to happen all the time, but since switching cables it's rare now. When it does happen, I just restart the Apple TV and all is good. I think this particular combo is just finicky with cables.
post #8037 of 8994 Old 07-17-2019, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Dual monitor out issues

Hi folks

Using Anthem 1120, one monitor out to Sony Tv, one monitor out to N7 projector using 50 ft active fibre HDMI cable...when projector in standby, I get no video on tv...if I unplug the projector HDMI monitor out from the Anthem, boom, tv appears...any ideas? Thanks folks

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b, 25s, Dual SVS SB3000
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820, Triple black velvet batcave
125" 2.35 Stewart ST100 Tab Tensioned Electric
post #8038 of 8994 Old 07-17-2019, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Hi folks

Using Anthem 1120, one monitor out to Sony Tv, one monitor out to N7 projector using 50 ft active fibre HDMI cable...when projector in standby, I get no video on tv...if I unplug the projector HDMI monitor out from the Anthem, boom, tv appears...any ideas? Thanks folks

Nothing wrong with your Anthem. This is the way it is constructed. I already gave up on this. Just make sure you use a switch or some sort preferably with power on/off button to switch on the 2nd display when u need it. This is likely due to the “active” hdmi signal been sent out even in dormant stage.

I just sold off my 1120, waiting for Anthem to release Gen 4 which will be more up to date with specs like HDMI 2.1 and better video output connectivity.

post #8039 of 8994 Old 07-17-2019, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2045 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by desray2k View Post
Nothing wrong with your Anthem. This is the way it is constructed. I already gave up on this. Just make sure you use a switch or some sort preferably with power on/off button to switch on the 2nd display when u need it. This is likely due to the “active” hdmi signal been sent out even in dormant stage.

I just sold off my 1120, waiting for Anthem to release Gen 4 which will be more up to date with specs like HDMI 2.1 and better video output connectivity.

Thanks, so if it wasn’t an “active” 50 ft fibre cable from 1120 to projector but a “normal” HDMI cable, would it work the way it is supposed to?

Edit: I have a wall switch for the projector that completely kills power so the pj isn’t even in standby...I can just leave this off when I don’t want to use the pj and watch tv, I guess 😳

Video:JVC N7 Sony 85” 900F Sony 55” 900F
Audio: Paradigm Prestige 95, 55C, 15b, 25s, Dual SVS SB3000
Receiver/Amp: Anthem 1120, Emotiva XPA-11 Gen 3 Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2
Source: Panasonic UB820, Triple black velvet batcave
125" 2.35 Stewart ST100 Tab Tensioned Electric

Last edited by asharma; 07-17-2019 at 05:10 PM.
post #8040 of 8994 Old 07-17-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asharma View Post
Thanks, so if it wasn’t an “active” 50 ft fibre cable from 1120 to projector but a “normal” HDMI cable, would it work the way it is supposed to?

Edit: I have a wall switch for the projector that completely kills power so the pj isn’t even in standby...I can just leave this off when I don’t want to use the pj and watch tv, I guess

Active or passive hdmi cable also makes no difference in this case. Already tested.

As long as there is a “kill-off” switch to one of the display (usually the projector), you are fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page