Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 271 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13212Likes

post #8101 of 8255 Old 07-30-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2956 Post(s)
Liked: 1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpig View Post
I should be getting a 720 on Monday.
I have an amp (for the Top Rear Atmos speakers) that has a 12V trigger port.
I know that a mono 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable is recommended, but would a stereo cable work as well?
Yes. The tip and sleeve terminals are the same in either case. Ignore the "ring" terminal between them.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win7 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8102 of 8255 Old 07-30-2019, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Does anyone know a good way for me to measure of my MRX1120 amp is clipping? Anthem support has not been responsive and I'm kind of at my wits end considering a return...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #8103 of 8255 Old 07-30-2019, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyld0 View Post
Does anyone know a good way for me to measure of my MRX1120 amp is clipping? Anthem support has not been responsive and I'm kind of at my wits end considering a return...
I'd leave it hooked up as normal and connect oscilloscope probes to the speaker terminals as well, then play a sine wave and see if the tops are flattened.

I'd be sure to set the probes to 10x as my scope only has a 20v range, and I think high volumes could exceed that, but it's a cheap scope.

Without an oscilloscope you could do something with a sound card and a pair of resistors (create a voltage divider to reduce the speaker level voltage to about 0.5v and connect it in parallel with the speakers), but there's a very real risk of damaging electronics. I wouldn't recommend this unless you're comfortable with electronics.

Subjectively, you could play loud sine waves and see if they sound "wrong". For a reference, you could use earphones connected to a known good piece of equipment (such as a laptop).

Have you tried doing a hard reset to clear any funky gain settings on your MRX1120? I think when you run Genesis it sets up the speaker gains, and turning ARC back off doesn't set the levels back to defaults. Maybe it bumped all your speaker gains up really high...

I'm surprised Anthem support hasn't been responsive - that's quite the opposite of my experience - they do take a couple of days to reply to email, but getting a person on the phone is purportedly to be quick.
Bleeding Edge likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8104 of 8255 Old 07-30-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMower View Post
I'd leave it hooked up as normal and connect oscilloscope probes to the speaker terminals as well, then play a sine wave and see if the tops are flattened.

I'd be sure to set the probes to 10x as my scope only has a 20v range, and I think high volumes could exceed that, but it's a cheap scope.

Without an oscilloscope you could do something with a sound card and a pair of resistors (create a voltage divider to reduce the speaker level voltage to about 0.5v and connect it in parallel with the speakers), but there's a very real risk of damaging electronics. I wouldn't recommend this unless you're comfortable with electronics.

Subjectively, you could play loud sine waves and see if they sound "wrong". For a reference, you could use earphones connected to a known good piece of equipment (such as a laptop).

Have you tried doing a hard reset to clear any funky gain settings on your MRX1120? I think when you run Genesis it sets up the speaker gains, and turning ARC back off doesn't set the levels back to defaults. Maybe it bumped all your speaker gains up really high...

I'm surprised Anthem support hasn't been responsive - that's quite the opposite of my experience - they do take a couple of days to reply to email, but getting a person on the phone is purportedly to be quick.
I hadn't thought about an oscilloscope. Any recommendations on a good one that is reasonably priced?

I had been avoiding a reset since I have finally gotten everything set up like I wanted, but I saw there was a backup and restore option. I will back up first, do the reset and test before restoring.

I forgot that I had tried running the preout to the in on my old receiver and still got clipping so I am thinking it's the processor, not the amp. That seems right?

I will attempt to call Anthem later this week when I am at home during work hours. Thanks for your suggestions.

post #8105 of 8255 Old 07-30-2019, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
I hadn't thought about an oscilloscope. Any recommendations on a good one that is reasonably priced?

I had been avoiding a reset since I have finally gotten everything set up like I wanted, but I saw there was a backup and restore option. I will back up first, do the reset and test before restoring.

I forgot that I had tried running the preout to the in on my old receiver and still got clipping so I am thinking it's the processor, not the amp. That seems right?

I will attempt to call Anthem later this week when I am at home during work hours. Thanks for your suggestions.
There's no such thing as a good reasonably priced oscilloscope.
That said, we're talking about audio signals, so "good enough" is actually not too bad. If you're a Windows person, https://www.amazon.ca/Hantek-Digital.../dp/B009H4AYII is probably good enough - I don't know if USB oscilloscopes work on macs. I have a similar, older model from the same company and it's been quite handy.

The pre-out test is interesting, as it doesn't rule out simple configuration problems, which is really the best case outcome.

My guess is Anthem's first recommendations will be a hard reset, and then a magical unreleased firmware image to test. So I'd definitely do that backup first.
wyld0 likes this.
post #8106 of 8255 Old 07-30-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMower View Post
There's no such thing as a good reasonably priced oscilloscope.

That said, we're talking about audio signals, so "good enough" is actually not too bad. If you're a Windows person, https://www.amazon.ca/Hantek-Digital.../dp/B009H4AYII is probably good enough - I don't know if USB oscilloscopes work on macs. I have a similar, older model from the same company and it's been quite handy.

The pre-out test is interesting, as it doesn't rule out simple configuration problems, which is really the best case outcome.

My guess is Anthem's first recommendations will be a hard reset, and then a magical unreleased firmware image to test. So I'd definitely do that backup first.
Thanks! That scope looks like it'll do the trick - I have windows and Mac and even looks like it'll work with Android with a USB OTG cable. I added it to cart but will do the hard reset first before pulling the trigger.

The magical unreleased firmware comment made me chuckle. I really hope it's something simple - it's really been bugging me.

post #8107 of 8255 Old 07-31-2019, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are the Bugs finally worked out of the ARC Genesis software???

I told my dealer, who was going to install the unit and set up calibrate it that I didnt want them to bother doing it until they felt comfortable that the Genesis software was robust enough to work properly
post #8108 of 8255 Old 07-31-2019, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1202 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshu View Post
Are the Bugs finally worked out of the ARC Genesis software???

I told my dealer, who was going to install the unit and set up calibrate it that I didnt want them to bother doing it until they felt comfortable that the Genesis software was robust enough to work properly
Genesis has been working great. Sure there were a few bugs like any software but nothing that was going to brick your Anthem or anything. The bugs were very minor. You're missing out on the great sound of Genesis. It's been stable since it was introduced and they fixed the bugs with it not finding the mic or .cal file a long time ago. You've been missing out on the benefits of Genesis since the 2nd release at the end of May if you're worried about bug.
OzHDHT and Bleeding Edge like this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #8109 of 8255 Old 07-31-2019, 03:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Genesis has been working great. Sure there were a few bugs like any software but nothing that was going to brick your Anthem or anything. The bugs were very minor. You're missing out on the great sound of Genesis. It's been stable since it was introduced and they fixed the bugs with it not finding the mic or .cal file a long time ago. You've been missing out on the benefits of Genesis since the 2nd release at the end of May if you're worried about bug.
He may be referring to the numerous posts where Genesis is setting gains of +12 db (or more)? I've run Genesis (2nd release) a few times. I've seen results ranging from -6 db to +7db, so not as extreme as others. Mic and/or sub gain were not necessarily the same for each run. I plan to try the 3rd release in near future. I'd like to get the gains a bit closer to 0, be it still negative or slightly positive.
wyld0 likes this.
post #8110 of 8255 Old 07-31-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrac View Post
He may be referring to the numerous posts where Genesis is setting gains of +12 db (or more)? I've run Genesis (2nd release) a few times. I've seen results ranging from -6 db to +7db, so not as extreme as others. Mic and/or sub gain were not necessarily the same for each run. I plan to try the 3rd release in near future. I'd like to get the gains a bit closer to 0, be it still negative or slightly positive.
Yep - I'm having some weird behavior with distortion and clipping but it's taking like nearly two weeks to even get a dialog going with Anthem support so I don't blame them curiosity. I will have to go ahead and call them tomorrow and try to work through it.

post #8111 of 8255 Old 07-31-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks! That scope looks like it'll do the trick - I have windows and Mac and even looks like it'll work with Android with a USB OTG cable. I added it to cart but will do the hard reset first before pulling the trigger.
Room EQ Wizard has a scope mode. It's free.

Still would have to deal with the interface and resistor scaling.

Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
post #8112 of 8255 Old 07-31-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Room EQ Wizard has a scope mode. It's free.

Still would have to deal with the interface and resistor scaling.
Oh interesting. I've used sweeps but the biggest problem I've had with trying to use REW is it only supports L, R, or L+R and not any of the other channels. I'm having issues on C channel.

post #8113 of 8255 Old 07-31-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Oh interesting. I've used sweeps but the biggest problem I've had with trying to use REW is it only supports L, R, or L+R and not any of the other channels. I'm having issues on C channel.
If you set REW to L+R, and turn on Dolby Surround, the center output will be used.

Or, if your PC has HDMI output, you can hit any of 5.1 channels with REW.

post #8114 of 8255 Old 07-31-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
If you set REW to L+R, and turn on Dolby Surround, the center output will be used.

Or, if your PC has HDMI output, you can hit any of 5.1 channels with REW.
Odd - I do have it connected via HDMI and my sound output to the Anthem is set to 7.1 but still only shows L, R, L+R. I will double check everything.

post #8115 of 8255 Old 07-31-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Odd - I do have it connected via HDMI and my sound output to the Anthem is set to 7.1 but still only shows L, R, L+R. I will double check everything.
You might need to install ASIO4all. Do a search or check the official REW website.
wyld0 and GeekWave like this.

post #8116 of 8255 Old 08-01-2019, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrac View Post
yes, there have been multiple posts here about folks having problems and getting strange results with the Genesis software, as well as revisions to the software fixing many bugs and issues.
post #8117 of 8255 Old 08-04-2019, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Does anyone have any idea when Anthem will update the mrx 1120 to include eARC and HDMI 2.1? I'd love support for Apple AirPlay, but it's not a deal breaker. I'm planning on buying an all new 5.2.4 system with a 77" OLED later this year (probably not until December), but I'm trying to decide if I should wait a couple months to get a 2020 OLED and/or an updated 1120. Financially, it would also help to wait the extra couple months.
post #8118 of 8255 Old 08-07-2019, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 14
MRX-1120- Is there way to reduce the amount of time the volume box is displayed when changing the volume? If so, how do I change it?
post #8119 of 8255 Old 08-08-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan944 View Post
MRX-1120- Is there way to reduce the amount of time the volume box is displayed when changing the volume? If so, how do I change it?
The on screen one? You can just turn off on screen notifications. That is what I do, so it just pops up on the AVR display.
post #8120 of 8255 Old 08-08-2019, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
Quote:
The on screen one? You can just turn off on screen notifications. That is what I do, so it just pops up on the AVR display.
Yes, the on screen one. Not the one on the receiver. Sorry, I should have made that clear. I'd like to keep the on screen notifications, just want to turn the duration down from whatever the default is (maybe 5 seconds) to 1 second.

Sound: Anthem MRX-1120. Triad Silver speakers with Atmos and SVS PB-2000 subwoofers in 5.2.2. Sony UBP-X800. Roku Ultra. Amazon Fire TV. Micca Speck G2. ViewTV AT-263.
Picture: Epson 6040UB. Seymour Enlightor 4K 140 inch screen. Audioquest Forest HDMI.
Automation: Control4
Space: Dedicated theater room. Two Jerome's Challenger sofas.
post #8121 of 8255 Old 08-08-2019, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Since fiddling with the volume with the OSD active can be distracting for some viewers, I will sometimes resort to the Anthem app on my phone if I want to check or change the volume without bothering others.

SONY VPL-VW385ES, Da-Lite 92" 0.9 HD progressive 16x9 screen, Apple TV 4K, HDFury Integral 2, Oppo UDP 203, Panasonic DP-UB820, Anthem AVM 60, D-Sonic 4000 (800x3, 400x4) for bed layer, 2 Crown XLS 1002 (225x4) for Atmos; Speakers: Polk LSiM 705s, 703 front, 4 702F/X surround, 4 Polk TL3 (Atmos), Dual Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers.
post #8122 of 8255 Old 08-08-2019, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1202 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
No there isn't a way to change the amount of time the volume is displayed on screen.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #8123 of 8255 Old 08-14-2019, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Do speaker distances mean anything if using ARC?

I was reading Bob Pariseau's web site about how to set phase correctly for a sub and I got to the part where it says to play a specific track from the AIX calibration disk, measure the output level, and gradually increase the configured sub distance until the loudest playback volume is found. And that identifies the correct setting for phase. I think.

I decided to give it a try. After mounting an old Radio Shack sound level meter on a stand just in front of the MLP, I played the recommended AIX test track, wrote down the decibel level, and then increased the sub distance in the AVM 60 config by 1 foot, repeating the process until the sub distance had increased 15 feet. The result? All measurements came back the same. Nuts.

If ARC is enabled, are speaker distances meaningful or are they ignored? If they are meaningful, any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

EDIT
Here's a link to Bob's blog.
https://bobpariseau.com/blog/2018/9/...bass-part-deux

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
post #8124 of 8255 Old 08-14-2019, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 283
For subwoofer distance - it does exactly what it should do and I can easily measure it around the crossover frequency.
kinglm likes this.

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
post #8125 of 8255 Old 08-14-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delija View Post
For subwoofer distance - it does exactly what it should do and I can easily measure it around the crossover frequency.
Interesting. How do you do the measurement? Obviously I'm doing something different.

post #8126 of 8255 Old 08-14-2019, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I use XTZ Room Analyzer.

Changing the subwoofer distance reflects the measurements the same way as the changing of the phase. I don't remember the matching values, but once I've changed (increased) the distance, I had to change the phase on subwoofers to compensate.

Anthem MRX 720 | Parasound Halo A21
Dynaudio Contour 60 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
LG OLED65C7V
post #8127 of 8255 Old 08-14-2019, 12:22 PM

The salesman I spoke to this week said he spoke to his contact person at Anthem who said Anthem might be coming out with new receivers in the 2nd half of '20. They might be announced in April 2020. Based on this news, I'll probably hold off buying in December. I don't want to spend $3k on a receiver only for it to be updated 6 months later. As I said above, I hope eArc, HDMI 2.1, and Apple AirPlay are features in the updated model.
Bill-99 and Deckard71 like this.
post #8128 of 8255 Old 08-14-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^Adding to the wish / hope list:
- 8K passthru
- support for more than 4 configurations
- independent configuration of multiple subs
- connections for at least 4 subs

post #8129 of 8255 Old 08-14-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
^Adding to the wish / hope list:
- 8K passthru
- support for more than 4 configurations
- independent configuration of multiple subs
- connections for at least 4 subs

How about room correction that can calculate speaker distance? I like the idea of better sub support!
Bill-99 likes this.
post #8130 of 8255 Old 08-14-2019, 09:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by blSwagger View Post
How about room correction that can calculate speaker distance? I like the idea of better sub support!
I was hoping arc would at least allow you to set the distance manually in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page