Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 275 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13245Likes

post #8221 of 8388 Old 08-29-2019, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Thanks, I will stick with the AVM 60. I was intrigued by there 64 bit eq.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard71 View Post
I can manually EQ down to 15hz on my A2070

One of my fears is that I use a lot the DSP “9ch Stereo” for music, which is superb. Not sure if Anthem has something similar
It has an All Channel mode which seems similar to the Yamaha 9ch Stereo mode. It also has other modes where all speakers are driven like AnthemLogic Music, Dolby Surround, etc. I think the Dolby Surround with center spread sounds pretty good for music

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8222 of 8388 Old 08-30-2019, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What settings have I overlooked with my MRX 1120?

Hi All,

I recently purchased an MRX 1120 & it's wonderful! I have configured a 5.1.4 system & used ARC mobile for calibration.

1) I did not calibrate with Dolby volume "on". Should this be on post-calibration? I'm not quite sure what this does for me.

2) After calibration, the volume seemed low to me @ -20dB which is where I usually have it. Reviewing settings, all speakers had been set to -12dB except the sub at -7dB. I don't have an SPL meter, but is this common? I want to reset the levels to -0, but wouldn't that just be the same as turning the volume to -8db (from -20?). Any guidance here will be helpful.

Thanks to all in advance.

Happy Labor Day Weekend.

Regards,

Herk

The 411:
LG OLED55C7P, OPPO BDP-203
Anthem MRX 1120
Paradigm Studio 60v2 (x2), Studio CC, Seismic 110, Studio 20s v5 (x2), KEF Q50a (x4)
post #8223 of 8388 Old 08-30-2019, 06:39 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5836 Post(s)
Liked: 8325
^ Dolby Volume is Dolby's take on "loudness" control. I recommend you leave it off for any critical listening. On or Off it won't change your ARC calibration.

However, Dolby Volume typically imposes a -10dB drop in volume (which you can compensate for using the regular Volume setting). So turn Dolby Volume OFF and see if your volume doesn't go back to what you were expecting.

--------------------------

Speaker levels of -12dB are pegged at the low end of the available range. This is generally not good. Did you do anything to level match the volume setting on your Sub against the other speakers before running your ARC setup?
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8224 of 8388 Old 08-30-2019, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
^ Dolby Volume is Dolby's take on "loudness" control. I recommend you leave it off for any critical listening. On or Off it won't change your ARC calibration.

However, Dolby Volume typically imposes a -10dB drop in volume (which you can compensate for using the regular Volume setting). So turn Dolby Volume OFF and see if your volume doesn't go back to what you were expecting.

--------------------------

Speaker levels of -12dB are pegged at the low end of the available range. This is generally not good. Did you do anything to level match the volume setting on your Sub against the other speakers before running your ARC setup?
--Bob
@Bob : Thanks for your reply. Dolby Volume is not "on" at all, so I'll leave it off.

I did *not* do anything with the sub (other than leave it bypassed) prior to calibration. Should I have taken some other action(s) before the calibration?

Thanks!

Herk

The 411:
LG OLED55C7P, OPPO BDP-203
Anthem MRX 1120
Paradigm Studio 60v2 (x2), Studio CC, Seismic 110, Studio 20s v5 (x2), KEF Q50a (x4)
post #8225 of 8388 Old 09-01-2019, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Mrx720 power AMp config

Just Baught mrx720 and would like to USE my ATI 3 Channel amp for LCR and internal for surround LR, center back and 4 high (atmos).

I cant Find config in setup for using internal lcr for different channels

any tips or tricks?
post #8226 of 8388 Old 09-01-2019, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 70
You just use the outputs for LCR no need to set anything. But you can't use internal amplification for 4 atmos speakers only 2. You can only run a 5.1.2 setup. You do have to assign the back channels on the 720 to front or rear heights.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #8227 of 8388 Old 09-01-2019, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 70
If you want to run full 7.1.4 you need more external amplification. If you get the 1120 you will be ok with amping the LCR and using internal for the rest of your speakers.

post #8228 of 8388 Old 09-02-2019, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Kasey View Post
Anyone have issues with there wifi not connecting or dropping connection. I can get it to work on playfi but not ARC 2 or Genesis. IP control is on.

I had lots of issues. The process below fixed it, it I ended up hardwiring the unit to be safe. Originally I had to hardwire my laptop and the anthem.

Unplug power. Press power button a few times. Turn it back on. Install newest firmware. Update Play-Fi...if this doesn’t work you might need to run a cat 5 or use a $15 WiFi repeater with a cat5 connector so you can hardwire the anthem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8229 of 8388 Old 09-08-2019, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hi All

I apologize if this topic has been discussed elsewhere - my search results came up blank

So I have my tv cable box plugged into the 720 hdmi 1 input, and my blu-ray plugged into the cdmi 2 input. Unfortunately, the 720 apparently only allows for one hdmi pass-through, which is set for hdmi 1 so my wife can watch tv without turning on the AVR. I would like to set both hdmi 1 and 2 to allow pass-through, otherwise I have to turn the 720, go through the menus to switch inputs, etc. which is a real pain for her. And then switching back to tv is also beyond her

So, is a way to have both inputs pass through the 720? My old Yamaha would automatically switch to blu-ray when it detected a signal from it, even when turned off. Very convenient!

Any assistance will be appreciated and thanks in advance!
post #8230 of 8388 Old 09-08-2019, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwatterson View Post
Hi All

I apologize if this topic has been discussed elsewhere - my search results came up blank

So I have my tv cable box plugged into the 720 hdmi 1 input, and my blu-ray plugged into the cdmi 2 input. Unfortunately, the 720 apparently only allows for one hdmi pass-through, which is set for hdmi 1 so my wife can watch tv without turning on the AVR. I would like to set both hdmi 1 and 2 to allow pass-through, otherwise I have to turn the 720, go through the menus to switch inputs, etc. which is a real pain for her. And then switching back to tv is also beyond her

So, is a way to have both inputs pass through the 720? My old Yamaha would automatically switch to blu-ray when it detected a signal from it, even when turned off. Very convenient!

Not sure about the pass through, but I understand the issue with the wife . Have you considered a smart remote control? Harmony makes a good one. I use the URC brand and it is wife and even mother-in-law proof. No more calls when I’m traveling asking how to turn on the TV. BTW, I have the 1120 and just switched over from Yamaha. Good luck.

Mark
post #8231 of 8388 Old 09-09-2019, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2661 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
Quote:
Hi All

Pretty sure what you seek is not possible, but I would agree 100% with knmlee.....buy a universal remote. I think the Harmony 650 is less than $50. Problem solved.
post #8232 of 8388 Old 09-09-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 547
^Hopping on the universal remote bandwagon, too. FWIW the Harmony 650 isn't bad but for a little more the Harmony Companion is less busy / is simpler. We have both in our home and the Companion is the favorite.

post #8233 of 8388 Old 09-09-2019, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 36
The audio store I went to suggested a $500 universal remote. When I looked it up on Amazon, it looked like it was $350, so I called the store to inquire. They said that that they were two similar models, but the one he was selling me had rechargeable batteries built in that charges on the stand. He said he'd match the $350 amazon price. I don't think it's worth $350 for a universal remote though. They don't have all the DVR buttons on the FIOS remote (i.e. 30 second skip, 10 second rewind, etc.) and even if you could program certain buttons, my muscle memory would rather deal with one type of TV remote no matter which room I'm in. I don't think it's a big deal to change remotes depending on what I'm watching. I'd rather use the Fios remove for TV, Apple remote for the Apple TV, etc...
post #8234 of 8388 Old 09-09-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blSwagger View Post
The audio store I went to suggested a $500 universal remote. When I looked it up on Amazon, it looked like it was $350, so I called the store to inquire. They said that that they were two similar models, but the one he was selling me had rechargeable batteries built in that charges on the stand. He said he'd match the $350 amazon price. I don't think it's worth $350 for a universal remote though. They don't have all the DVR buttons on the FIOS remote (i.e. 30 second skip, 10 second rewind, etc.) and even if you could program certain buttons, my muscle memory would rather deal with one type of TV remote no matter which room I'm in. I don't think it's a big deal to change remotes depending on what I'm watching. I'd rather use the Fios remove for TV, Apple remote for the Apple TV, etc...
Thanks All - I am pretty sure my wife won't want to use the universal remote. Unfortunately she has dementia and can barely use the regular tv remote....I will keep working on it
post #8235 of 8388 Old 09-09-2019, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Thanks All - I am pretty sure my wife won't want to use the universal remote. Unfortunately she has dementia and can barely use the regular tv remote....I will keep working on it

Use stickers on the remotes and have a short instruction sheet for her to reference. The most difficult thing is probably knowing how to change the inputs.
post #8236 of 8388 Old 09-09-2019, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by blSwagger View Post
Use stickers on the remotes and have a short instruction sheet for her to reference. The most difficult thing is probably knowing how to change the inputs.
This may be a rabbit hole, as I've not tried it with the Anthem, just on my upstairs old Onkyo, but if you have it setup for that HDMI CEC starting the player can start everything upstream and select the input. I have it like that for my PS3 etc so I just use the onkyo remote to start the ps3 (in CEC mode) and it starts the AVR, selects the input, and puts on the TV.
post #8237 of 8388 Old 09-10-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
This may be a rabbit hole, as I've not tried it with the Anthem, just on my upstairs old Onkyo, but if you have it setup for that HDMI CEC starting the player can start everything upstream and select the input. I have it like that for my PS3 etc so I just use the onkyo remote to start the ps3 (in CEC mode) and it starts the AVR, selects the input, and puts on the TV.
Huh well that is a thought. My LG TV is sufficiently old that it doesn't recognize the anthem using the simplink system, but for some reason it does recognize the blu-ray player...I will have to experiment and see if I can get that to work. Alternatively, I can simply plug both the cable box and blu ray directly into the tv and connect the tv to the anthem using an optical cable...the tv "should" be able to recognize the live input, if the cable box is off and the blu ray player is on, and vice versa. that will severely limit the audio options in the anthem, tho

I greatly appreciate the assistance!
post #8238 of 8388 Old 09-11-2019, 07:07 PM

Liked: 3
Hi there, a quick question about hooking up height speakers to my 1120.

I just connected Atlantic Technology IC-6 Object Based Dolby Atmos In-Ceiling Speakers.

However, I'm not getting sound.

The wiring is fine as when I plug the wiring for the height into the rear of the 1120 in the front, surround or rear slots, I'm getting sound through them.

However, when I plug the wiring into Height 1 or 2 at the rear of the 1120, no sound is produced.

I selected Height 1 within the on-screen settings and selected Front, Middle or Rear In-ceiling to see if anything would make it work.

In calibration > Test, there is a test noise for all the speakers except for Height 1 or 2 which read 0db.

I then connected the ARC to see if that would make a difference. The test did produce the ARC sound out of the Height speakers, and I uploaded the ARC settings which changed the In-ceiling settings in calibration to 3db.

However, when I go back to calibration and noise test it again, no sound comes out of it.

Also, playing Black Hawk Down or other height audio mixes doesn't seem to pick it up.

Any advices appreciated please.

Last edited by manutd123; 09-11-2019 at 07:10 PM.
post #8239 of 8388 Old 09-11-2019, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manutd123 View Post
Hi there, a quick question about hooking up height speakers to my 1120.

I just connected Atlantic Technology IC-6 Object Based Dolby Atmos In-Ceiling Speakers.

However, I'm not getting sound.

The wiring is fine as when I plug the wiring for the height into the rear of the 1120 in the front, surround or rear slots, I'm getting sound through them.

However, when I plug the wiring into Height 1 or 2 at the rear of the 1120, no sound is produced.

I selected Height 1 within the on-screen settings and selected Front, Middle or Rear In-ceiling to see if anything would make it work.

In calibration > Test, there is a test noise for all the speakers except for Height 1 or 2 which read 0db.

I then connected the ARC to see if that would make a difference. The test did produce the ARC sound out of the Height speakers, and I uploaded the ARC settings which changed the In-ceiling settings in calibration to 3db.

However, when I go back to calibration and noise test it again, no sound comes out of it.

Also, playing Black Hawk Down or other height audio mixes doesn't seem to pick it up.

Any advices appreciated please.
Very odd. So when you run arc, you can hear sound from the heights?

Could possibly the input you are testing with be not configured for heights? Eg it is using a different profile?
post #8240 of 8388 Old 09-12-2019, 01:31 PM

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
Very odd. So when you run arc, you can hear sound from the heights?

Could possibly the input you are testing with be not configured for heights? Eg it is using a different profile?
So it turned out to be something as simple as turning off Dolby Volume.

Once I did that, wow, Atmos-based in-ceiling speakers are amazing. That is a game changer for sound in my set-up!
dlinsley, MOberhardt and GeekWave like this.
post #8241 of 8388 Old 09-12-2019, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Once I did that, wow, Atmos-based in-ceiling speakers are amazing. That is a game changer for sound in my set-up!
You aren’t the first guy to trip over that situation.
manutd123 likes this.
post #8242 of 8388 Old 09-12-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I hope when this IMAX enhanced forware comes out later this year, it fixes the DTS:X HRA support issue. And given the IMAX enhanced update is for a lossy DTS format, I hope they remember to test it this time...
post #8243 of 8388 Old 09-13-2019, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Good to know!...I'm surprised they keep such features active while in the level testing menu/mode... weird!
Glad you got to the bottom of it.... 👍

Sources: NVidia Shield TV - Allo DigiOne Roon Endpoint - Panasonic UB-900
Audio: Anthem MRX-720 - Emotiva UPA1's - KEF R900's - Dual SVS-PB2000's (via MiniDSP 2x4)
Video: Panasonic TH-65DX900
FYI - I have NO affiliation with the media player 'Geek Wave' (cant change stupid name)
post #8244 of 8388 Old 09-13-2019, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Kasey View Post
You just use the outputs for LCR no need to set anything. But you can't use internal amplification for 4 atmos speakers only 2. You can only run a 5.1.2 setup. You do have to assign the back channels on the 720 to front or rear heights.

So you can't reassign the amplifiers in the 720?
So if I have my 5 channel amp power the usual 5 of a 5.1, but then wanted the internal amps to power the atmos (4) and rear (2) speakers? I couldn't?
post #8245 of 8388 Old 09-13-2019, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
^Hopping on the universal remote bandwagon, too. FWIW the Harmony 650 isn't bad but for a little more the Harmony Companion is less busy / is simpler. We have both in our home and the Companion is the favorite.
You all have $2000 to $3000 receivers and going to use a 650. Just get an Elite you cheap o's!
sigpig and vollans like this.
post #8246 of 8388 Old 09-13-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum7 View Post
So you can't reassign the amplifiers in the 720?
So if I have my 5 channel amp power the usual 5 of a 5.1, but then wanted the internal amps to power the atmos (4) and rear (2) speakers? I couldn't?
NO, you can't as you have been told before. Sucks, but that's the way it is..
post #8247 of 8388 Old 09-13-2019, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipca204 View Post
You all have $2000 to $3000 receivers and going to use a 650. Just get an Elite you cheap o's!
Too funny!

And fair enough. Actually, my preference is for a remote that can be operated by touch rather than looking at any kind of display, so the 650 failed that part. The Companion has been great but YMMV. It's likely a personal preference thing.

post #8248 of 8388 Old 09-13-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
Too funny!

And fair enough. Actually, my preference is for a remote that can be operated by touch rather than looking at any kind of display, so the 650 failed that part. The Companion has been great but YMMV. It's likely a personal preference thing.
all remotes are a personal thing! I have a friend who LOVES using his massive contrast killing blinding ipad as a remote in his theater. I cringe every time a commercial comes up and he want to fast forward! :-)
Legairre and Bill-99 like this.
post #8249 of 8388 Old 09-14-2019, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Hello. I’m thinking of buying Bluesound Node 2i streamer to decode the MQA files from Tidal. I have a MRX 720 receiver. I have several questions how to connect both devices.
1. If I connect the Bluesound with the Anthem using analog out I’ll get the full hi-res quality of the MQA file but I’ll lose the bass management and ARC from the receiver. Is that correct?
2. If I connect the devices with optical cable I’ll retain the bass management and ARC but what quality of the MQA file will I get?
Thank you
post #8250 of 8388 Old 09-14-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctuary View Post
Hello. I’m thinking of buying Bluesound Node 2i streamer to decode the MQA files from Tidal. I have a MRX 720 receiver. I have several questions how to connect both devices.
1. If I connect the Bluesound with the Anthem using analog out I’ll get the full hi-res quality of the MQA file but I’ll lose the bass management and ARC from the receiver. Is that correct?
2. If I connect the devices with optical cable I’ll retain the bass management and ARC but what quality of the MQA file will I get?
Thank you
You won’t lose BM or ARC by going analog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page