Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 276 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13223Likes

post #8251 of 8320 Old 09-14-2019, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
You won’t lose BM or ARC by going analog.
Thank you for the reply. In that case what’s going to happen with the decoding of the MQA file? Will it be decoded second time in the Anthem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8252 of 8320 Old 09-14-2019, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2652 Post(s)
Liked: 2521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctuary View Post
Thank you for the reply. In that case what’s going to happen with the decoding of the MQA file? Will it be decoded second time in the Anthem?
If you connect analog, it is being decoded by your Bluesound box. In the Anthem to use BM and/or ARC, the Anthem will re-digitize the input. You can chose not to allow processing of an analog input, but you lose BM and ARC.
post #8253 of 8320 Old 09-14-2019, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
If you connect analog, it is being decoded by your Bluesound box. In the Anthem to use BM and/or ARC, the Anthem will re-digitize the input. You can chose not to allow processing of an analog input, but you lose BM and ARC.
What connection would you recommend analog or optical? I want to stream MQA files with minimum loss of quality.
Thanks again for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8254 of 8320 Old 09-14-2019, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What connection would you recommend analog or optical? I want to stream MQA files with minimum loss of quality.
Thanks again for the help.
I really don't know anything about MQA or how the Bluesound deals with it, so I can’t really give you an informed suggestion.the Anthem does make it easy to connect both to the same virtual input. I would connect both and see what you prefer.
Sanctuary likes this.

Last edited by BGLeduc; 09-14-2019 at 07:17 PM.
post #8255 of 8320 Old 09-15-2019, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Hello. I’m thinking of buying Bluesound Node 2i streamer to decode the MQA files from Tidal. I have a MRX 720 receiver. I have several questions how to connect both devices.
1. If I connect the Bluesound with the Anthem using analog out I’ll get the full hi-res quality of the MQA file but I’ll lose the bass management and ARC from the receiver. Is that correct?
2. If I connect the devices with optical cable I’ll retain the bass management and ARC but what quality of the MQA file will I get?
Thank you
BGLaduc is correct that you do not lose ARC or Bass Management. You do however introduce an additional analog-to-digital conversion in the Anthem by connecting the Node2i via analog RCAs. Whether you will notice any difference in sound by this extra processing is something you'll have to judge.
Sanctuary likes this.

JVC DLA-X790R, Seymour AV Centerstage UF 2.40:1 tensioned electric screen w/ motorized masking, Anthem AVM 60, Jim Holtz Statements L/C/R, SVS SB-16 Ultra (X2), Oppo UDP-203, Parasound Halo A-21, Parasound Halo A-51, Bluesound Node 2i, miniDSP 2X4 HD, NVIDIA Shield 2015, QNAP 453Pro
post #8256 of 8320 Old 09-17-2019, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quick question, looking at a 720 for my HT. How long is the microphone wire for Arc setup?) I will have my receiver in a closet outside of my HT room and want to make sure the mic is long enough to do the calibration and if not is there an aftermarket mic that can be used?
post #8257 of 8320 Old 09-17-2019, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinrazrback View Post
Quick question, looking at a 720 for my HT. How long is the microphone wire for Arc setup?) I will have my receiver in a closet outside of my HT room and want to make sure the mic is long enough to do the calibration and if not is there an aftermarket mic that can be used?
ARC runs on a laptop / PC. The microphone is USB - it does not plug into the receiver.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #8258 of 8320 Old 09-17-2019, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyld0 View Post
Quote:
ARC runs on a laptop / PC. The microphone is USB - it does not plug into the receiver.

Thanks!
post #8259 of 8320 Old 09-17-2019, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
I think it is about 12ft. It is pretty long. But yes, it is connected to your computer
post #8260 of 8320 Old 09-18-2019, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all,
I just did a calibration with ARC genesis this weekend. Before doing it, i checked ail speaker channel including the subwoofer and they were all at 75db ( all channel level =0) Then i run ARC and consult the results. Each level channel as a least a +5 increase and the subwoofer +12 So i checked with a spl meter and each channel were at least at 80db but the subwoofer was 88db. Is this normal ? Did i forget to do something before running ARC ? I thought after ARC all the channel must be at 75db. I have to keep my master volume not higher than -35db or else it’s too loud. Thank in advance im a newbie Ben
post #8261 of 8320 Old 09-18-2019, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendiesel View Post
Hi all,

I just did a calibration with ARC genesis this weekend. Before doing it, i checked ail speaker channel including the subwoofer and they were all at 75db ( all channel level =0) Then i run ARC and consult the results. Each level channel as a least a +5 increase and the subwoofer +12 So i checked with a spl meter and each channel were at least at 80db but the subwoofer was 88db. Is this normal ? Did i forget to do something before running ARC ? I thought after ARC all the channel must be at 75db. I have to keep my master volume not higher than -35db or else it’s too loud. Thank in advance im a newbie Ben
What version of Arc Genesis are you using? If it's them most current I suggest you go into the level settings and turn on the pink nosie on. Use your spl meter and adjust each speaker to 75db

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #8262 of 8320 Old 09-19-2019, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Anyone using Play-fi?

How do you find the SQ compares to a CD?

I have been listing to amazon music through play fi and there seems to be a very large disparity in quality of recordings....
post #8263 of 8320 Old 09-19-2019, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball05 View Post
Anyone using Play-fi?

I have been listing to amazon music through play fi and there seems to be a very large disparity in quality of recordings....
I tried it but the anthem network stuff is so buggy I gave up. And I'm an IT tech that works on networks...
post #8264 of 8320 Old 09-19-2019, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Anyone using Play-fi?

I’m using it and it is working well. Mostly have been playing Qobuz through the Play-Fi app at CD quality and it sounds really good. Just signed up for the free trial for Amazon Music HD today and playing that through Play-fi. Trying to figure out how to play the hi-res recordings on Amazon. I don’t have CDs anymore, so can’t compare directly. I do have some FLAC files on my Mac that I ripped back in the day and Play-fi sounds as good or better than those. The Play-Fi app does not have as nice of a user interface as the native apps (Qobuz or Amazon), but it is not bad.

I also have a free Pandora account and a SiriusXM account and both of these stream at lower bit rates. For fun, I’ve done a few tests playing a song on one of these and then playing the same song on Qobuz through Play-Fi. The difference is pretty dramatic.

Count me as a happy user. No network problems.

Mark
post #8265 of 8320 Old 09-20-2019, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Kasey View Post
What version of Arc Genesis are you using? If it's them most current I suggest you go into the level settings and turn on the pink nosie on. Use your spl meter and adjust each speaker to 75db

Hello,

Thanks for your answer i will try this

Im using the most recent version of ARC Genesis.

Maybe this version is not stable yet ? Hehe

Best regards,

Ben
post #8266 of 8320 Old 09-20-2019, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Anyone using Play-fi?

Play-fi so far has been underwhelming for me. Sound quality wise there's no issue. Hhowever I trried using it to access a local network server, which is a bit hit and miss. Playback sometimes stops abrubtly, and there's quiten often large gaps between songs (and no gapless support anyhow, which is bad e.g. for classical music. Not sure though in how far that's rather related to Anthems somewhat shaky network or Play-fi

Spotify Coneect though works fine for me.
MOberhardt likes this.
post #8267 of 8320 Old 09-20-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 View Post
Play-fi so far has been underwhelming for me. Sound quality wise there's no issue. Hhowever I trried using it to access a local network server, which is a bit hit and miss. Playback sometimes stops abrubtly, and there's quiten often large gaps between songs (and no gapless support anyhow, which is bad e.g. for classical music. Not sure though in how far that's rather related to Anthems somewhat shaky network or Play-fi

Spotify Coneect though works fine for me.
"Somewhat shaky network" is an understatement!
jepsp2 likes this.
post #8268 of 8320 Old 09-21-2019, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

PSA: if you happen to use the Anthem remote control app, you may not want to upgrade to iOS 13 just yet. Looks like the update to iOS 13 broke the app. I have not tried mobil ARC, so I don’t know if that is also broken.

I would hope Anthem will update it soon. Although I do use a Harmony, I find the app handy to use from time to time.
post #8269 of 8320 Old 09-22-2019, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Flipped on my Anthem 1120 to find color bars/bands (see image) across the bottom half of my screen. Appears across all inputs and is definitely introduced by the receiver (as they don’t appear when I use the TVs apps directly as a test). I’ve tried hard and soft resets. Unplugging all HDMI inputs. Any other fixes before opening a case with Anthem? The device is about 10 months old.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C2DBEA4E-C306-4036-8655-9D0880C27490_1569181253841.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	2618760  
post #8270 of 8320 Old 09-22-2019, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Network connection problems

I had my 1120 delivered, installed and calibrated by my dealer last week and need some help.

My installer did not update the firmware. As a result, I did that the other day and although it appeared to be successfully done, I do NOT have any network connection. I have cycled the power 4-5 times by unplugging the power cord.

My unit is plugged into an ethernet cable through a local switch and has both antennas connected. All my other AV components connected to the same ethernet switch have network access.

When I enter Setup and go to Network, the first lines shows Network-Not connected. When I select that nothing happens.
If I scroll down to Wireless setup and select that...nothing happens...in fact it seems to freeze up and my only way out to to press the Setup button again.

I did have connection to the network(set up by installer) before I did the firmware update. I had tried to use DTS Play-Fi and it worked stutteringly, which led me to the FW update as a potential solution for the stuttering.

Last edited by toshu; 09-22-2019 at 05:34 PM.
post #8271 of 8320 Old 09-22-2019, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehoc19 View Post
Flipped on my Anthem 1120 to find color bars/bands (see image) across the bottom half of my screen. Appears across all inputs and is definitely introduced by the receiver (as they don’t appear when I use the TVs apps directly as a test). I’ve tried hard and soft resets. Unplugging all HDMI inputs. Any other fixes before opening a case with Anthem? The device is about 10 months old.
Might want to try an HDMI source plugged directly to the TV to make sure it's not the HDMI board on the TV. Also check cables.

post #8272 of 8320 Old 09-22-2019, 02:24 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5833 Post(s)
Liked: 8309
Quote:
Try running an HDMI source device directly to the TV (bypassing the Anthem). Using the TV's internal apps is not a good test since of course they don't use the HDMI inputs on the TV. The type of problem in the photo is more likely to be a TV failure. If it still shows when the source is directly connected to the TV, try a full reset of the TV.

If the problem goes away when you bypass the Anthem, then the Anthem will need Warranty service.
--Bob
MOberhardt likes this.

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #8273 of 8320 Old 09-22-2019, 04:03 PM

Try to unplug the HDMI to the TV then plug it back up.

post #8274 of 8320 Old 09-23-2019, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the feedback. Didn’t think to test this way.
Interestingly enough, went to try the direct HDMI source, bypassing the anthem device, and the problem seems to have resolved itself (which is still somewhat concerning).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau View Post
Quote:
Flipped on my Anthem 1120 to find color bars/bands (see image) across the bottom half of my screen. Appears across all inputs and is definitely introduced by the receiver (as they don’️t appear when I use the TVs apps directly as a test). I’️ve tried hard and soft resets. Unplugging all HDMI inputs. Any other fixes before opening a case with Anthem? The device is about 10 months old.
Try running an HDMI source device directly to the TV (bypassing the Anthem). Using the TV's internal apps is not a good test since of course they don't use the HDMI inputs on the TV. The type of problem in the photo is more likely to be a TV failure. If it still shows when the source is directly connected to the TV, try a full reset of the TV.

If the problem goes away when you bypass the Anthem, then the Anthem will need Warranty service.
--Bob
post #8275 of 8320 Old 09-23-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Didn’t think to test this way.
Interestingly enough, went to try the direct HDMI source, bypassing the anthem device, and the problem seems to have resolved itself (which is still somewhat concerning).
If the bar only display when a source is sent through the AV you may have a issue with the board. Give anthem a call for support. Another easy test is to just use your smart tv to play content. If local netflix app on the tv runs fine you know its not the tv. If using say a PS4 to play a blue ray through the anthem runs fine but say apple tv doesnt. Swap inputs to see if that changes it. If a device that worked on another input has a issue on different one its the av. If all inputs show that line then it might the the out all together. Either way if its resulting in issues you would need to have anthem take a look at it I think.

That said hows the sound?

"we need more power" - My Wife.

Theater Build Thread - Wartooth
post #8276 of 8320 Old 09-23-2019, 08:45 AM

I occasionally get handshake issues with my fire tv 4k and the display will be stretched out with static. Sometimes my oppo 203 4k Blu-ray player displays 1080 on the anthem. If I unplug the HDMI to the tv and plug it back up it fixes it. Only happens about twice a year.

post #8277 of 8320 Old 09-23-2019, 12:15 PM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 5833 Post(s)
Liked: 8309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Kasey View Post
I occasionally get handshake issues with my fire tv 4k and the display will be stretched out with static. Sometimes my oppo 203 4k Blu-ray player displays 1080 on the anthem. If I unplug the HDMI to the tv and plug it back up it fixes it. Only happens about twice a year.

You'll get 1080p from the OPPO if the HDMI handshake does not conclude your video path (including the TV) is capable of 4K -- including the newer Copy Protection imposed on 4K. Unplugging and replugging the cable forces a new HDMI handshake -- which is evidently producing the correct result. So it is ALMOST working.

If the problem is happening when you power up your system, then there is likely an easy fix: The cause would be that the HDMI handshake is happening before the TV is awake enough to respond properly. The fix, then is to power things up in the reverse order of the signal path -- TV first, then Anthem, then OPPO -- waiting at each step for the device to fully boot up before powering up the next device. If you are using a programmable Remote to power up your system, you can likely build in the necessary delays.
--Bob

Need personal consultation/training? Or just curious about my Blog? Check out my web site!
post #8278 of 8320 Old 09-23-2019, 06:36 PM

I use a harmony remote. Maybe I need to make sure the TV turns on first. Thanks for the tips

post #8279 of 8320 Old 09-24-2019, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 533
^It seems like some TVs have these issues more than others.

My main system has a Samsung UN65KS800DF TV connected to an AVM 60. It's very stable and virtually always operates correctly and predictably. By contrast, a second system in an exercise room has a Sony XBR-49X900E connected to an MRX 520. About 1/3 of the time it fails the audio return channel handshake and turns on the TV speakers. Power down / power back up it typically works correctly sending TV audio to the MRX 520. Seems to be some kind of warm start / power up / timing issue. Not sure.

Another data point. This Spring my AVM 60 network card failed. While it was out for service, the 520 was plugged into the main system and it worked flawlessly.

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
post #8280 of 8320 Old 09-24-2019, 07:31 AM

Yeah I have the xbr65x900e it sux with handshake and the wifi constantly disconnects from my Harmony remote

Bill-99 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page