Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13153Likes

post #811 of 8066 Old 02-03-2016, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahltech View Post
A couple of question for the group.

If one would want only a 5.2 setup with the Anthem MRX and the best stereo sound for music listening, would it be better to get the MRX 520 with the MCA 225 to power the fronts or the AMV60 with the MCA 525.

On these receivers is the analogue direct mode the "none" mode.
I guess I will answer one of my questions, I have ordered the AMV 60 and the MCA 525.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 8066 Old 02-04-2016, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by amt View Post
Are all PCM signals up-sampled to 768KHz? Does ARC also make use of this higher sampling rate potential when applying correction?
The 768k part is just a way of saying that the DAC is the latest. There's no sample rate conversion although the size gets converted to 32-bit.

ARC, bass management and AnthemLogic operate at the incoming rate, in other words 192k sources, the highest possible, do not get downsampled by these processes, including when all three are on at the same time.
dlinsley and nadyn like this.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #813 of 8066 Old 02-04-2016, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 765
So I've had a few weeks now to test out the 720. I continue to love this thing more every day. I went and watched Quantum of Solace which I've seen numerous times and I'm picking up sounds that just weren't there before with my previous receiver. I'm not sure if it's the clarity of sound coming from the 720 or if it's attributable to the upmixer, but it's so much better than before. The neat thing I'm finding about the Dolby upmixer is that the ceiling speakers add real depth to the musical score and ambient noises, but the vocals still remain set to the front sound stage. There has been the odd time where that hasn't been the case and it's sounded weird (like a voice in a hollow chamber in front of the screen), but that's been few and far between. I think I'm starting to get used to sounds coming from my ceilings so it seems subtle unless I'm paying attention to it, but I think that if I were to go to back to 7.1 I'd switch back right away. As I typed that I decided I should probably go and set my config 4 to just 7.1 and switch back and forth between that and 7.1.4. I'll post back but ,seriously, Atmos and DSU is the real deal.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Oppo 203, Darbee Darblet, Optoma HD3300, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of 8066 Old 02-04-2016, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I have had my eye on an Anthem receiver for quite some time now but have not pulled the trigger. I have narrowed my choices down to the Denon x6200w and the MRX 720. The Denon is attractive because of the HD radio. But the manual is a whopping 363 pages! Seems like just too many sound options and configurations. Most pre-pros and receivers today seem very complicated, and for this reason I have hung onto my pre-hdmi receiver (Yamaha RX v2500) Aside from adding the latest hdmi inputs, does anyone have an opinion on whether or not a new AVR will have better two channel performance?

I just noticed Anthem has changed the specs of the MRX720 on their web-site to 140 watts per channel.
post #815 of 8066 Old 02-04-2016, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by music first View Post
I have had my eye on an Anthem receiver for quite some time now but have not pulled the trigger. I have narrowed my choices down to the Denon x6200w and the MRX 720. The Denon is attractive because of the HD radio. But the manual is a whopping 363 pages! Seems like just too many sound options and configurations. Most pre-pros and receivers today seem very complicated, and for this reason I have hung onto my pre-hdmi receiver (Yamaha RX v2500) Aside from adding the latest hdmi inputs, does anyone have an opinion on whether or not a new AVR will have better two channel performance?

I just noticed Anthem has changed the specs of the MRX720 on their web-site to 140 watts per channel.

Well, the manual for the 720 is scant to say the least. That said, I personally have no need for that many extras. I just want great sound, and that's where Anthem delivers. After getting ARC up and running, there's not much to do but fire it up. The 720 does have Play-fi, but if you need HD radio, the Denon may be your best bet.
toddman36 likes this.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Oppo 203, Darbee Darblet, Optoma HD3300, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.
post #816 of 8066 Old 02-04-2016, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I have an ARC question. ARC seems to do a great job of measuring and plotting pre-EQ'ed speaker performance as well as theoretical post EQ'ed performance. Is it possible to have ARC measure and plot the actual speaker performance after the ARC-calculated EQ is applied?
post #817 of 8066 Old 02-04-2016, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, it's the green line:

[IMG][/IMG]

post #818 of 8066 Old 02-04-2016, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1286 Post(s)
Liked: 823
I thought the green line was the predicted response after ARC applies its EQ
post #819 of 8066 Old 02-04-2016, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That makes more sense, actually. I'm not sure, then if you can test it after the fact. I'll look at it tonight. Good question.
post #820 of 8066 Old 02-04-2016, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
That makes more sense, actually. I'm not sure, then if you can test it after the fact. I'll look at it tonight. Good question.
No It Can't. Currently ARC turns off all correction when sending the test tones.
post #821 of 8066 Old 02-04-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Well, the manual for the 720 is scant to say the least. That said, I personally have no need for that many extras. I just want great sound, and that's where Anthem delivers. After getting ARC up and running, there's not much to do but fire it up. The 720 does have Play-fi, but if you need HD radio, the Denon may be your best bet.
The manual is sparse on details, compared to what yamaha offers, even the app. I would say the Yamaha has one of the best apps out there.

Sure all the options that the Yamaha has is nice (DSP,s) adjustability in the sound fields. But after 2 weeks you dont use them anymore.
charlypittsburgh likes this.
post #822 of 8066 Old 02-04-2016, 09:08 PM
amt
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 25
OK, current processor is now sold. I just now need to pick between the 720 and the AVM60. Having a hard time seeing how the AVM 60 is "better" than the MRX 720. Seems unlikely that the different power supply would make a audible difference (would anyone honestly think they could blind test and ID one from the other?). Other than saying I own a pre/pro instead of a receiver, is there any reason to get the AVM 60?
turbojohngt likes this.
post #823 of 8066 Old 02-05-2016, 02:41 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
I thought the green line was the predicted response after ARC applies its EQ
Correct. It is the predicted(calculated), nothing more.
post #824 of 8066 Old 02-05-2016, 04:20 AM

Q

Quote:
OK, current processor is now sold. I just now need to pick between the 720 and the AVM60. Having a hard time seeing how the AVM 60 is "better" than the MRX 720. Seems unlikely that the different power supply would make a audible difference (would anyone honestly think they could blind test and ID one from the other?). Other than saying I own a pre/pro instead of a receiver, is there any reason to get the AVM 60?
My guess would be that it would depend on which amp you use with the AMV 60. But I could be wrong, this will be my first pre/pro setup.

I was told that the AMV would be better then the 1120 alone by tech support. ( but not in which way )
post #825 of 8066 Old 02-05-2016, 07:03 AM
amt
Advanced Member

I can see a combination of AVM60 + higher power external amp being better then either 1120 or 720 when using internal amplification, if your speakers and room require more wattage. However, if in both situations, one would be using external amplification, I am having trouble rationalizing a sonic difference between the two. Seems like I would be paying $500 extra to have amplification removed.
turbojohngt likes this.
post #826 of 8066 Old 02-05-2016, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
I can see a combination of AVM60 + higher power external amp being better then either 1120 or 720 when using internal amplification, if your speakers and room require more wattage. However, if in both situations, one would be using external amplification, I am having trouble rationalizing a sonic difference between the two. Seems like I would be paying $500 extra to have amplification removed.
Exact same dilemma I'm in. I use my 510 as a prepro, ARC seems to be the same and I'm wondering the same as you. How much of a diff is there going to be between the two?
post #827 of 8066 Old 02-05-2016, 07:10 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Exact same dilemma I'm in. I use my 510 as a prepro, ARC seems to be the same and I'm wondering the same as you. How much of a diff is there going to be between the two?
post #828 of 8066 Old 02-05-2016, 07:20 AM

I think the problem this time around is the AVM 60 is not 8000$. If it was, many of us would just just get the MRX and use an amp as needed.

Im sure at higher volumes the sound would be better with the AMV due to using more powerful amps. But at medium volume I dont think it would be that much of a difference, if any.
post #829 of 8066 Old 02-05-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
I am not totally convinced I need HD radio. I do love the Anthem approach to AVRs. I notice you have Emotiva amps, are you using your 720 as a preamp? Can you describe the sound of the MRX720 compared to say a Denon or a Yamaha? Would you call it "warm", "crisp" "neutral"? Can't seem to find a dealer in my area that has one for audition.
Thanks for any comments.
post #830 of 8066 Old 02-05-2016, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Anthem just added the new firmware update on the website. All functions now work including macros.
smellyfungus and mkohman like this.

Last edited by maxfli44; 02-05-2016 at 10:23 AM. Reason: new info
post #831 of 8066 Old 02-05-2016, 11:14 AM
amt
Advanced Member

Visited my local dealer and ordered the AVM60. My only rationalization in picking this over the MRX720 is that perhaps it could be more reliable in the long term given it has no heat generating amps. That and I already have XLR cables
Nugget, turbojohngt and maxfli44 like this.
post #832 of 8066 Old 02-05-2016, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
I am not totally convinced I need HD radio. I do love the Anthem approach to AVRs. I notice you have Emotiva amps, are you using your 720 as a preamp? Can you describe the sound of the MRX720 compared to say a Denon or a Yamaha? Would you call it "warm", "crisp" "neutral"? Can't seem to find a dealer in my area that has one for audition.
Thanks for any comments.
I just went from a Denon 4520CI to the MRX 720 (was also considering the x6200). It takes a little bit to get used to the different menus and I'm dealing with getting my Harmony Remote back if full order with the new system.

Sound wise I did briefly use the Yamaha 3020 before returning it. On my KEFs using each respective units EQ system, Yamaha was definitely the most forward and bright sounding of the group. Movies sounded great and very dynamic but music was a bit too in my face (had been using a Denon 1909 before). Went to the Denon 4520CI which has a very similar sound to my previous 1909. Much more laid back everything kinda comes easy, but with movies there wasn't quite as much dynamics.

Now moving on the the Anthem, I'm still getting situated, have only tried calibrating once so far using 5 measuring points. i very much enjoy the balance i get with anthem. things sound dynamic and slightly forward without being too in my face. the biggest difference is the default eq for the bass integrated well and gave me satisfactory impact. the denon i had to adjust things up a bit to get the full effect.

imaging and detail is a step up and anthems dsps sound pretty good.

there's some ways the denon functioned that were easier for me but once i get used to the Anthem I think it will be the overall better choice, especially since sound quality is the main reason for my purchase.

so on a warm/laid back to bright scale it would be something like... denon < < neutral < anthem < < yamaha
keep in mind this is with my speakers and with eq on.
music first likes this.

Sony XBR75X850C, Anthem MRX720, KEF R500 (x2), KEF R200C, KEF R100 (x2), JTR Cap 118HT (Echo 18 1400w is a myth)
post #833 of 8066 Old 02-05-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfungus View Post
I just went from a Denon 4520CI to the MRX 720 (was also considering the x6200). It takes a little bit to get used to the different menus and I'm dealing with getting my Harmony Remote back if full order with the new system.

Sound wise I did briefly use the Yamaha 3020 before returning it. On my KEFs using each respective units EQ system, Yamaha was definitely the most forward and bright sounding of the group. Movies sounded great and very dynamic but music was a bit too in my face (had been using a Denon 1909 before). Went to the Denon 4520CI which has a very similar sound to my previous 1909. Much more laid back everything kinda comes easy, but with movies there wasn't quite as much dynamics.

Now moving on the the Anthem, I'm still getting situated, have only tried calibrating once so far using 5 measuring points. i very much enjoy the balance i get with anthem. things sound dynamic and slightly forward without being too in my face. the biggest difference is the default eq for the bass integrated well and gave me satisfactory impact. the denon i had to adjust things up a bit to get the full effect.

imaging and detail is a step up and anthems dsps sound pretty good.

there's some ways the denon functioned that were easier for me but once i get used to the Anthem I think it will be the overall better choice, especially since sound quality is the main reason for my purchase.

so on a warm/laid back to bright scale it would be something like... denon < < neutral < anthem < < yamaha
keep in mind this is with my speakers and with eq on.
Thank you for your great insight. Excellent information! I am currently using an older Yamaha (RX v2500) which of course doesn't have hdmi. It is powering a pair of Ascend Acoustics towers with ribbon tweeters. My source is the Oppo BDP105. I had a brief experience with a denon amp last year and returned it because my findings were similar to yours. I did audition the denon 6200 in a local store with a pair of B&W cm10s. It sounded fine but it didn't stand out as being great. I didn't hear any problems with it though. Of course the store probably didn't run Audyssey. The ribbon tweeters in my speakers are detailed but smooth, definitely not in your face, so I am thinking the Anthem might be a good match. Thanks again.
post #834 of 8066 Old 02-05-2016, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for any comments.
Yep, I'm simply using the 720 as a preamp. I love the Emotiva/Outlaw setup I've got and there's plenty of headroom for my speakers which seem to call for a lot of power. I've never owned a Denon or Yamaha, but I can say that the sound is definitely more crisp than my Onkyo and a bit more forward sounding if that makes sense. I can't really give you much more as I haven't tested other receivers.

post #835 of 8066 Old 02-06-2016, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Has anyone replaced their pioneer elite receiver with a new anthem? If so, what did you think? Big difference ? I currently have the 97 and have ways wanted an anthem and would probably buy the 1120 if their was difference in sound quality.

Thanks
post #836 of 8066 Old 02-06-2016, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Yep, I'm simply using the 720 as a preamp. I love the Emotiva/Outlaw setup I've got and there's plenty of headroom for my speakers which seem to call for a lot of power. I've never owned a Denon or Yamaha, but I can say that the sound is definitely more crisp than my Onkyo and a bit more forward sounding if that makes sense. I can't really give you much more as I haven't tested other receivers.
Makes perfect sense. Thanks man!
post #837 of 8066 Old 02-06-2016, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hi everyone. I purchased the AVM 60 earlier this week and I have a question. Does the "STANDBY HDMI BYPASS" mode allow you to send a signal through the processor even if it is not on? For example I have my cable box connected to the AVM via HDMI. I have the AVM connected to my TV via HDMI. Everything works fine if I have all units turned on. But if I turn off the AVM the signal does not pass through even though I have selected HDMI 1-7 in the standby mode.

Maybe I just have the wrong idea as to what this mode does. Thanks guys
post #838 of 8066 Old 02-06-2016, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbob View Post
Hi everyone. I purchased the AVM 60 earlier this week and I have a question. Does the "STANDBY HDMI BYPASS" mode allow you to send a signal through the processor even if it is not on
From page 31 of the owner's manual that you have sitting right there...

STANDBY HDMI BYPASS

This option allows use of an HDMI source without turning on the AVM/MRX. Select HDMI 1-7, Front HDMI, or Last Used. The standby LED on the front panel changes to red. Your TV may need setup to allow the sound to come from its speakers – check its manual.

Is the standby LED red on your device?

I like cars, airplanes, running, and coding || current gear: two eyes, two ears, one brain, and some other junk.
post #839 of 8066 Old 02-06-2016, 08:48 AM

Yes, it is red.
post #840 of 8066 Old 02-06-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
From page 31 of the owner's manual that you have sitting right there...

STANDBY HDMI BYPASS

This option allows use of an HDMI source without turning on the AVM/MRX. Select HDMI 1-7, Front HDMI, or Last Used. The standby LED on the front panel changes to red. Your TV may need setup to allow the sound to come from its speakers – check its manual.

Is the standby LED red on your device?
Hi Nugget, yes I read the those instructions on page 31. In fact I read most of the manual. My standby LED is red when the AVM is turned off but still no love. I have selected HDMI 1-7 in the setup menu and in this case I am using HDMI 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page