Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 280 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14036Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8371 of 10196 Old 11-09-2019, 02:41 PM
Senior Member
 
flyinrazrback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ft. Smith AR
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 209
What is the best way to set up dual subs with the 1120 since you cannot EQ them separately? Just hook both up and then run ARC or is there a better way? Or is a mini dsp going to be required? I bought the 1120 because I had planned on running a single sub but now running duals and thinking about another receiver that will EQ dual subs. I have one sub 5' behind my main listening area and the other one 11' in the front right corner of the room. So in this case what distance do you tell ARC for the subwoofer?

Last edited by flyinrazrback; 11-09-2019 at 04:39 PM.
flyinrazrback is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8372 of 10196 Old 11-09-2019, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 12,173
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3480 Post(s)
Liked: 2207
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinrazrback View Post
What is the best way to set up dual subs with the 1120 since you cannot EQ them separately? Just hook both up and then run ARC or is there a better way? Or is a mini dsp going to be required? I bought the 1120 because I had planned on running a single sub but now running duals and thinking about another receiver that will EQ dual subs. I have one sub 5' behind my main listening area and the other one 11' in the front right corner of the room.
If the subs are the same model, placed symmetrically with respect to the room center line, just make sure they each produce the same SPL when used alone, then let ARC treat them as one.

With the subs at different locations, as in your case, you could do the same and see what you get subjectively and in the report. Might get lucky.

If you want to dig in, use REW (or the like) and see what each sub does, and how they combine. Based on that, individual gains, delays, phase and EQ might be useful, and then a MiniDSP would indeed help. I went that route. But before spending money, spend time.
mbroadus and MOberhardt like this.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #8373 of 10196 Old 11-09-2019, 05:52 PM
Senior Member
 
flyinrazrback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ft. Smith AR
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinrazrback View Post
What is the best way to set up dual subs with the 1120 since you cannot EQ them separately? Just hook both up and then run ARC or is there a better way? Or is a mini dsp going to be required? I bought the 1120 because I had planned on running a single sub but now running duals and thinking about another receiver that will EQ dual subs. I have one sub 5' behind my main listening area and the other one 11' in the front right corner of the room.
If the subs are the same model, placed symmetrically with respect to the room center line, just make sure they each produce the same SPL when used alone, then let ARC treat them as one.

With the subs at different locations, as in your case, you could do the same and see what you get subjectively and in the report. Might get lucky.

If you want to dig in, use REW (or the like) and see what each sub does, and how they combine. Based on that, individual gains, delays, phase and EQ might be useful, and then a MiniDSP would indeed help. I went that route. But before spending money, spend time. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
OK thanks, will get a SPL meter, check them individually then run ARC. Are you changing the volume output on the sub itself or in the receiver to match SPL?
flyinrazrback is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8374 of 10196 Old 11-09-2019, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 12,173
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3480 Post(s)
Liked: 2207
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinrazrback View Post
OK thanks, will get a SPL meter, check them individually then run ARC. Are you changing the volume output on the sub itself or in the receiver to match SPL?
The receiver cannot do it -- there's just one control for both outputs. Use the controls on the sub's amps.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #8375 of 10196 Old 11-09-2019, 06:23 PM
Senior Member
 
flyinrazrback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ft. Smith AR
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinrazrback View Post
OK thanks, will get a SPL meter, check them individually then run ARC. Are you changing the volume output on the sub itself or in the receiver to match SPL?
The receiver cannot do it -- there's just one control for both outputs. Use the controls on the sub's amps.
Do I need to set the phase manually or will ARC do that? I read when checking and setting SPL to select the pink noise and set the volume to about 72db, does that sound right?
flyinrazrback is online now  
post #8376 of 10196 Old 11-09-2019, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 857
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinrazrback View Post
Do I need to set the phase manually or will ARC do that? I read when checking and setting SPL to select the pink noise and set the volume to about 72db, does that sound right?
You are over thinking it. Just run ARC, set sub distances and speaker distances, and listen. It will sound amazing as is, and you can fine tune later.
Contuzzi is offline  
post #8377 of 10196 Old 11-09-2019, 06:30 PM
Senior Member
 
flyinrazrback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ft. Smith AR
Posts: 381
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contuzzi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinrazrback View Post
Do I need to set the phase manually or will ARC do that? I read when checking and setting SPL to select the pink noise and set the volume to about 72db, does that sound right?
You are over thinking it. Just run ARC, set sub distances and speaker distances, and listen. It will sound amazing as is, and you can fine tune later.
Doesn't ARC ask for the distance from the subwoofer but only give you one option? If you have 2 subs that are different distances from the seating position would you just take the average of the 2 distances and input that value?
flyinrazrback is online now  
post #8378 of 10196 Old 11-09-2019, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 12,173
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3480 Post(s)
Liked: 2207
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinrazrback View Post
Doesn't ARC ask for the distance from the subwoofer but only give you one option? If you have 2 subs that are different distances from the seating position would you just take the average of the 2 distances and input that value?
Solve each problem as it comes along. Start simple.

If you run ARC (or maybe the quick measure) 3 times, once with each sub then both together, you will see a lot of useful info. From there, there are many forks in the road.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #8379 of 10196 Old 11-09-2019, 06:39 PM
Senior Member
 
wyld0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinrazrback View Post
Doesn't ARC ask for the distance from the subwoofer but only give you one option? If you have 2 subs that are different distances from the seating position would you just take the average of the 2 distances and input that value?
I used a MiniDSP, set the distance to the furthest sub, then inserted the delay of the difference to the closer sub to sync them up.

Alternatively you can just run quick measure and playing with the distance until the response looks best with your sub placements. For me, a distance higher than my furthest sub ended up being great before I got the Mini DSP. You can also play with the controls on your sub to get good SPL. Then when you run ARC, it will flatten the combined curve.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
wyld0 is offline  
post #8380 of 10196 Old 11-10-2019, 05:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 857
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Dude is selling his anthem because he doesn’t understand that his dual subs shouldn’t be calibrated individually. Oh well, he will learn eventually.
Contuzzi is offline  
post #8381 of 10196 Old 11-10-2019, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MOberhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,187
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
If the subs are the same model, placed symmetrically with respect to the room center line, just make sure they each produce the same SPL when used alone, then let ARC treat them as one.

With the subs at different locations, as in your case, you could do the same and see what you get subjectively and in the report. Might get lucky.

If you want to dig in, use REW (or the like) and see what each sub does, and how they combine. Based on that, individual gains, delays, phase and EQ might be useful, and then a MiniDSP would indeed help. I went that route. But before spending money, spend time.
How do you bypass ARC for the subwoofers? I'm trying to figure this out. I am wanting to use REW for the subwoofers so I can use Crowsons with no forced curve.
MOberhardt is offline  
post #8382 of 10196 Old 11-10-2019, 01:44 PM
Member
 
leehan76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
How do you bypass ARC for the subwoofers? I'm trying to figure this out. I am wanting to use REW for the subwoofers so I can use Crowsons with no forced curve.
You can set the minimum correction frequency for your subs in the settings within ARC Genesis, ie, at 90hz, 100hz, or whichever you want for the MiniDSP to do its thing. I got ARC to calibrate my subs’ frequency response to a corrected curve which was exceptionally flat on the computer screen. But when I used REW to verify the “corrected” response of my subs they didn’t match what ARC was showing. Ie, ARC had botched the output down low quite a bit! So I found using a MiniDSP 2x4 HD gave a much more accurate reading of what my subs are doing in their frequencies. Is that what you’re going for as well?

Speakers: KEF R300 (R,L), KEF R600C (C), JBL 306p mkII (Surrounds), KEF Ci160QR (In-Ceiling) Subs: JTR Captivator S1 x2 Processor/Amps: Anthem AVM60, ATI AT4003, Rotel RB985 mkII Video: BenQ HT2050, 100” Screen Misc: ATV 4k, Sony PS4, Samsung K8500, MiniDSP 2x4HD, Crowson MA x2 Room: GIK treated 2500 cu sq. ft. sealed room on a suspended floor
leehan76 is online now  
post #8383 of 10196 Old 11-10-2019, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 12,173
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3480 Post(s)
Liked: 2207
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
How do you bypass ARC for the subwoofers? I'm trying to figure this out. I am wanting to use REW for the subwoofers so I can use Crowsons with no forced curve.
Like @leehan76 said.

After you create such curves, you can verify exactly what EQ is being applied by ARC if you use the Genesis program's curve viewer to display the EQ. Should look like a flat line.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"

Last edited by Roger Dressler; 11-10-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #8384 of 10196 Old 11-10-2019, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MOberhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,187
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by leehan76 View Post
You can set the minimum correction frequency for your subs in the settings within ARC Genesis, ie, at 90hz, 100hz, or whichever you want for the MiniDSP to do its thing. I got ARC to calibrate my subs’ frequency response to a corrected curve which was exceptionally flat on the computer screen. But when I used REW to verify the “corrected” response of my subs they didn’t match what ARC was showing. Ie, ARC had botched the output down low quite a bit! So I found using a MiniDSP 2x4 HD gave a much more accurate reading of what my subs are doing in their frequencies. Is that what you’re going for as well?
Yes, exactly what I'm trying to do. And I'm really thinking that ARC is messing my subwoofer as well. The curve looks nuts (I've justa pair of PB2000s and the curve ARC gives is so beyond flat it isn't funny. It doesn't look real.

I will email anthem about the inability to bypass (especially for Crowsons, BOSS, Bxxkickers or the like). It would be nice to add that as a feature.
leehan76 likes this.
MOberhardt is offline  
post #8385 of 10196 Old 11-10-2019, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 12,173
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3480 Post(s)
Liked: 2207
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
Yes, exactly what I'm trying to do. And I'm really thinking that ARC is messing my subwoofer as well. The curve looks nuts (I've justa pair of PB2000s and the curve ARC gives is so beyond flat it isn't funny. It doesn't look real.

I will email anthem about the inability to bypass (especially for Crowsons, BOSS, Bxxkickers or the like). It would be nice to add that as a feature.
In the meantime, I hope you caught the point that you can 100% defeat ARC EQ in the subwoofer. I did exactly that so the MiniDSP is the only EQ applied.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #8386 of 10196 Old 11-10-2019, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MOberhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,187
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
In the meantime, I hope you caught the point that you can 100% defeat ARC EQ in the subwoofer. I did exactly that so the MiniDSP is the only EQ applied.
Yes I will try that. I haven't actually figured out how to do the REW yet. I take it that I turn ARC off on the Anthem somehow to do the REW, select a new profile with no ARC?

I can see in ARC you can up the min freq to 200. It is still on mine doing correction above it.
MOberhardt is offline  
post #8387 of 10196 Old 11-10-2019, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 12,173
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3480 Post(s)
Liked: 2207
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
Yes I will try that. I haven't actually figured out how to do the REW yet. I take it that I turn ARC off on the Anthem somehow to do the REW, select a new profile with no ARC?

I can see in ARC you can up the min freq to 200. It is still on mine doing correction above it.
200 Hz is high enough. With LFE limited to 120 Hz, and bass management usually lower than that, there's no signals >200 Hz to worry about.

You can leave ARC on for REW tests. There's no EQ in the subwoofer path, so it will not make any difference to turn it off.
MOberhardt likes this.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #8388 of 10196 Old 11-10-2019, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MOberhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,187
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
200 Hz is high enough. With LFE limited to 120 Hz, and bass management usually lower than that, there's no signals >200 Hz to worry about.

You can leave ARC on for REW tests. There's no EQ in the subwoofer path, so it will not make any difference to turn it off.
Ah right, so do you do the REW by connecting the PC to the miniDSP. I guess I need another cable for that.

I was actually getting confused with all the REW setup for connecting to the AVR with HDMI

Edit: I found this - I guess similar to this but 0.1! So I can just connect direct to the minidsp with USB (or maybe wireless via the WIDG?) and bypass the AVR altogether
https://www.minidsp.com/applications...n-with-minidsp

Last edited by MOberhardt; 11-10-2019 at 06:22 PM.
MOberhardt is offline  
post #8389 of 10196 Old 11-11-2019, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MOberhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,187
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
200 Hz is high enough. With LFE limited to 120 Hz, and bass management usually lower than that, there's no signals >200 Hz to worry about.

You can leave ARC on for REW tests. There's no EQ in the subwoofer path, so it will not make any difference to turn it off.
OK I was able to get the laptop connected to minidsp via USB for audio!

Regards the timing signal, were you able to do this? I'm trying to figure how to do this without having to rewire stuff. I guess I pull out another amp and say hook minidsp to amp to my center channel. I wonder if I can find some cheapo desk speaker with an rca input...
MOberhardt is offline  
post #8390 of 10196 Old 11-11-2019, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 12,173
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3480 Post(s)
Liked: 2207
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
I was actually getting confused with all the REW setup for connecting to the AVR with HDMI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
OK I was able to get the laptop connected to minidsp via USB for audio!

Regards the timing signal, were you able to do this? I'm trying to figure how to do this without having to rewire stuff. I guess I pull out another amp and say hook minidsp to amp to my center channel. I wonder if I can find some cheapo desk speaker with an rca input...
Not sure why you want REW's the timing signal, it is not important for looking at subwoofer response.

If your PC has HDMI output, then REW can feed LFE directly or it can feed, say, L channel. If bass management is turned on, the bass will come out the subwoofer. If you want to see what the response is like above a nominal 80 Hz crossover, you can change it to 150 or maybe 200 if the unit allows. Feeding left channel means the REW timing trigger will be audible to REW, if you really need it.

If your PC does not have HDMI, you can feed the analog output of the soundcard into the processor, say, left channel, that way.
MOberhardt likes this.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #8391 of 10196 Old 11-11-2019, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MOberhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,187
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Not sure why you want REW's the timing signal, it is not important for looking at subwoofer response.

If your PC has HDMI output, then REW can feed LFE directly or it can feed, say, L channel. If bass management is turned on, the bass will come out the subwoofer. If you want to see what the response is like above a nominal 80 Hz crossover, you can change it to 150 or maybe 200 if the unit allows. Feeding left channel means the REW timing trigger will be audible to REW, if you really need it.

If your PC does not have HDMI, you can feed the analog output of the soundcard into the processor, say, left channel, that way.
OK so I don't need to worry about the timing signal. I thought from another thread that you need to cater for additional delay with the miniDSP.

I'm still trying to figure out REW. It is a bit to complicated, all it can do. I found the default sound levels (-12dB) very loud. I was worried I'd blow the subs, even though I'm just running them at normal levels (which i set using ARC)
MOberhardt is offline  
post #8392 of 10196 Old 11-12-2019, 11:13 AM
Senior Member
 
lifeisbeautiful's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Complete video drop-off with Anthem MRX720

Hi all-
I have my Panasonic BluRay player and Apple TV connected to my Anthem MRX720, and my Anthem connects to my 65" Samsung 8 series connector hub.
I use an external Emotiva amplifier for all channels.
When I'm playing BluRay or movies from HDD connected to my BluRay player, after a few mins (like 15 minutes or so), the TV turns itself off. But, the audio is still fine. I have to power on my TV again. The problem does not seem to happen when playing DVDs though. Nor I see the problem with my AppleTV streaming.
I've made sure the following:
1. No sleep timer set on TV.
2. The Auto-Off in Anthem is set to "Never".
3. My MRX720 has the latest firmware.

Any idea what could be going on? I never had this problem with my Emotiva UMC-1 with the same setup.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by lifeisbeautiful; 11-12-2019 at 11:17 AM.
lifeisbeautiful is offline  
post #8393 of 10196 Old 11-12-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 7,022
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisbeautiful View Post
Hi all-
I have my Panasonic BluRay player and Apple TV connected to my Anthem MRX720, and my Anthem connects to my 65" Samsung 8 series connector hub.
I use an external Emotiva amplifier for all channels.
When I'm playing BluRay or movies from HDD connected to my BluRay player, after a few mins (like 15 minutes or so), the TV turns itself off. But, the audio is still fine. I have to power on my TV again. The problem does not seem to happen when playing DVDs though. Nor I see the problem with my AppleTV streaming.
I've made sure the following:
1. No sleep timer set on TV.
2. The Auto-Off in Anthem is set to "Never".
3. My MRX720 has the latest firmware.

Any idea what could be going on? I never had this problem with my Emotiva UMC-1 with the same setup.

Thanks for your time.
What HDMI inputs are the BD player and Apple TV connected to? HDMI7 is MHL which is for phones and tablets so it doesn't have the bandwidth as the others. The front HDMI input is MHL too.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is offline  
post #8394 of 10196 Old 11-12-2019, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MOberhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,187
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1253
Anyone heard any more news on the firmware update that was supposed to come out in October? I'm getting sick of waiting for a patch for the DTS-X HRA affecting the two Fast and Furious movies. Hobbs and Shaw is out now, and my interrupted run of watching the Fast and Furious series is really starting to tick me off.
MOberhardt is offline  
post #8395 of 10196 Old 11-12-2019, 02:20 PM
Senior Member
 
vollans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 441
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 247
It has some oddities with non-DTS-X DTS-HR 5.1 as well, with some odd burping sounds when I watch "All About Evil".
MOberhardt likes this.

New Home Cinema: Sony VPL-VW760, Anthem MRX 1120, Q Acoustics 30x0 series speakers fronts, SVS Prime Elevation surround, Proficient C791 Atmos, SVS PB2000 subs, Panasonic DMP-UB820, Sony UBP-X700, Apple TV, Pioneer CLD-D5V laserdisc, FetchTV, Radiance XD-3D and ScreenTechnics Hi Contrast 130" screen
vollans is offline  
post #8396 of 10196 Old 11-12-2019, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MOberhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,187
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1606 Post(s)
Liked: 1253
Quote:
Originally Posted by vollans View Post
It has some oddities with non-DTS-X DTS-HR 5.1 as well, with some odd burping sounds when I watch "All About Evil".
Hmm.

I am pretty hopeful this new release will fix up all the lossy DTS issues - as the firmware update is for IMAX Enhanced which from the avr perspective means a new lossy DTS format, hopefully they'll fix the rare old DTS HR ones.
vollans likes this.
MOberhardt is offline  
post #8397 of 10196 Old 11-12-2019, 09:15 PM
Senior Member
 
lifeisbeautiful's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
What HDMI inputs are the BD player and Apple TV connected to? HDMI7 is MHL which is for phones and tablets so it doesn't have the bandwidth as the others. The front HDMI input is MHL too.
The Apple TV is connected to HDMI1, BluRay player to HDMI2. The HDMI1 (ARC) output is connected to the TV.
Also, the CEC is turned off in Anthem.

Thanks.
lifeisbeautiful is offline  
post #8398 of 10196 Old 11-13-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 7,022
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisbeautiful View Post
The Apple TV is connected to HDMI1, BluRay player to HDMI2. The HDMI1 (ARC) output is connected to the TV.
Also, the CEC is turned off in Anthem.

Thanks.
Then it could be an HDMI handshake or cable issue. Try turning on the MRX first and then the BD player and Apple TV. If that doesn’t work try turning on the the BD player and Apple TV first and then the MRX.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is offline  
post #8399 of 10196 Old 11-13-2019, 10:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Quattro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bloomington, MN
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 38
One of the features I use on my Emotiva unit is called "last video." This simply allows me to change the audio, but keep the video feed on (usually a sporting event). I can change the audio to any input marked as audio only. Can I do the same thing on the Anthem AVR? If it's not to complicated, how do you do it (what steps)?

One other question: In the manual I see on page 32 "Process Analog Audio Input" if you change this to "no" digital conversion and signal processing are by passed. Is this referring to RCA inputs? I'll have a DAC I like to use that will have RCA connections into the AVR. I don't want the AVR to reprocess the DAC. So, I'm assuming I'd select "no." However, does this negate the ARC (and bass management) settings as well? If yes, I guess I need to decide if my DAC is more important than the ARC settings. In other words, if you want to use ARC, an external DAC is basically worthless. Is this also the case with selecting listening modes like Anthem Logic? Have others dealt with this decision?
Quattro is offline  
post #8400 of 10196 Old 11-13-2019, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Legairre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 7,022
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
One of the features I use on my Emotiva unit is called "last video." This simply allows me to change the audio, but keep the video feed on (usually a sporting event). I can change the audio to any input marked as audio only. Can I do the same thing on the Anthem AVR? If it's not to complicated, how do you do it (what steps)?
You can do it, just create an input in the Input Setup menu and assign the “Video Input” to the HDMI input you want for display then assign the “Audio Input” to any audio device you’d like to listen to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
One other question: In the manual I see on page 32 "Process Analog Audio Input" if you change this to "no" digital conversion and signal processing are by passed. Is this referring to RCA inputs? I'll have a DAC I like to use that will have RCA connections into the AVR. I don't want the AVR to reprocess the DAC. So, I'm assuming I'd select "no." However, does this negate the ARC (and bass management) settings as well? If yes, I guess I need to decide if my DAC is more important than the ARC settings. In other words, if you want to use ARC, an external DAC is basically worthless. Is this also the case with selecting listening modes like Anthem Logic? Have others dealt with this decision?
Yes it will work with the RCA inputs. It really means use the DACS in the MRX or “no” means use the DACS in the device connected to the MRX. ARC and bass management are still active even if you select “no”. The only time ARC and bass management would be off is if you turned off ARC(Anthem Room correction) in the Input Setup menu.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Legairre is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off