Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13225Likes

post #61 of 8329 Old 08-13-2015, 10:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneill View Post
Is ARC version updated on these models?
Same ARC 1M mic kit, modified ARC 2 software to support 11.1, wireless connection and new DSP hardware. As well, two speaker profile memories have been added for a total of four to allow, primarily, ceiling speaker vs Dolby-enabled vs no-height comparative demos.
sneill likes this.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 8329 Old 08-14-2015, 06:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10 View Post
I'd be shocked if this were not the case. I'm sure that in the 1120 you can externally amplify any or all of the 11 main channels.

Now, I think [email protected] confirmed here or elsewhere that on the 720, the AVR amps cannot be assigned to the "height" speakers. So I assume that you need at least four channels of external amplification for the heights on that one. And undoubtedly you can add any number of additional channels of external amplification beyond that.

I would only consider the 1120 if the internal amps can be assigned to the "height" speakers. I already have 7 channels worth of Bryston amplification in a 7 channel setup and was thinking that the 1120 might be an interesting option when I renovate my HT for an 11 channel setup. If this is not possible, then I might as well go with the AVM60.

My current AV processor is an AVM50. I wonder if the AVM60 would be a sonic downgrade from the AVM50 for 7 channel source material.

Does anybody know if the AVM60 will offer video switching for 4K source material. I assume this would require the AVM60 to have HDCP 2.2.
post #63 of 8329 Old 08-14-2015, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post
Same ARC 1M mic kit, modified ARC 2 software to support 11.1, wireless connection and new DSP hardware. As well, two speaker profile memories have been added for a total of four to allow, primarily, ceiling speaker vs Dolby-enabled vs no-height comparative demos.
Will ARC be able to calculate the level and phase of dual subwoofers separately similar to sub eq ht?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 8329 Old 08-14-2015, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Just a general question, I haven't used an Anthem receiver yet. Is there a way to keep two profiles in the receiver? I would like to keep one profile with the rear surrounds turned down and the center turned up for times when I have a second row of listeners.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
post #65 of 8329 Old 08-14-2015, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
I would only consider the 1120 if the internal amps can be assigned to the "height" speakers.
I wouldn't imagine there's any "assignment" to do with the 1120. Presumably all preouts are always hot, as that is the general AVR convention. On the 1120 all processed channels have amplification, so just hook up your Bryston to the preouts of choice* and power the other 4 speakers with the internal amp.

*While it seems the convention is LCR + side + rear on separate amp and FH + RH on lower power, I can see a case for doing LCR + FH + side on the separate amp and rear + RH on the AVR as well.

Quote:
My current AV processor is an AVM50. I wonder if the AVM60 would be a sonic downgrade from the AVM50 for 7 channel source material.
Measured downgrade, probably. One reason the AVM/D have managed to hang around for so long is that Anthem did a spectacular job on the analog hardware. Sonic downgrade, you don't mention if you currently use ARC or Dolby Volume's modeler. If you do, then it's probably a wash on legacy content. If you don't use ARC and DVM, the new one should be better if you do on the new one. We're at a point where, in terms of audible differences, software has a lot more impact than hardware, IMO.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 

Last edited by DS-21; 08-14-2015 at 08:17 AM.
post #66 of 8329 Old 08-14-2015, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
I wouldn't imagine there's any "assignment" to do with the 1120. Presumably all preouts are always hot, as that is the general AVR convention. On the 1120 all processed channels have amplification, so just hook up your Bryston to the preouts of choice* and power the other 4 speakers with the internal amp.

*While it seems the convention is LCR + side + rear on separate amp and FH + RH on lower power, I can see a case for doing LCR + FH + side on the separate amp and rear + RH on the AVR as well.

Measured downgrade, probably. One reason the AVM/D have managed to hang around for so long is that Anthem did a spectacular job on the analog hardware. Sonic downgrade, you don't mention if you currently use ARC or Dolby Volume's modeler. If you do, then it's probably a wash on legacy content. If you don't use ARC and DVM, the new one should be better if you do on the new one. We're at a point where, in terms of audible differences, software has a lot more impact than hardware, IMO.

Good to know about the amplifier assignment for the 1120. I suspect the 1120 is the AVM60 with built-in amplifiers. If that's the case, then the 1120 would make sense since it would provide 4 perfectly adequate amplifier channels for the height speakers. I am using ARC with the AVM50 and would plan on doing so with the AVM60 or 1120.
post #67 of 8329 Old 08-14-2015, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
Is there a way to keep two profiles in the receiver?
Yes, current gen has two memory banks for speaker profile which consists of level calibration, listener position, bass management, and ARC curve. Next gen will have four profile memories, with each assignable to inputs as before. There are 20 input setup memories so for example, you can insert a new Blu-ray input configuration by cloning the existing one except using a different speaker profile.
nadyn likes this.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #68 of 8329 Old 08-14-2015, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaucom View Post
Will ARC be able to calculate the level and phase of dual subwoofers separately similar to sub eq ht?
would be nice if splintered threads were merged - please see post 6:

www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2004562-official-anthem-avm-60-thread.html

post #69 of 8329 Old 08-14-2015, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would only consider the 1120 if the internal amps can be assigned to the "height" speakers.
That's the default. A pair of heights may be reassigned to zone 2.

Quote:
Does anybody know if the AVM60 will offer video switching for 4K source material.
Curent-gen switches from and scales to 4K24 / 4K30. Next-gen adds 4K50 / 4K60 switching but there's no scaling of any sort. The scaling chip is still there on the side as a source of OSD graphics which the new HDMI interface can blend with the input. The following are supported - keep in mind this is preliminary info but I see nothing to stop these features:

HDMI 2.0a
HDCP 2.2
On-Screen Display with UHD 4K 50/60
4:4:4 Chroma Subsampling at 4K60 (18.2 Gbps)
High Dynamic Range (HDR) - unverified, test spec pending
21:9 Aspect Ratio
BT.2020 Color

post #70 of 8329 Old 08-14-2015, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes, current gen has two memory banks for speaker profile which consists of level calibration, listener position, bass management, and ARC curve. Next gen will have four profile memories, with each assignable to inputs as before. There are 20 input setup memories so for example, you can insert a new Blu-ray input configuration by cloning the existing one except using a different speaker profile.
Awesome, thanks for the reply, how quickly can you flip between these profiles, is it assignable on something like a harmony? This may be a redundant question, does the things listed above included everything for a full calibraiton, so I do a full ARC calib for 1 row of seats, store it, then a full ARC profile for 2 rows of seats and store it, then swap when needed?
post #71 of 8329 Old 08-14-2015, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1215 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
would be nice if splintered threads were merged - please see post 6:

www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2004562-official-anthem-avm-60-thread.html
Nick since there is an MRX1120 and MRX720, will there also be an MRX520 and MRX320 coming soon too?

Thanks
Legairre

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #72 of 8329 Old 08-14-2015, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendelrt View Post
how quickly can you flip between these profiles
Just change input. For the two profiles you can run two measurements with different mic positions, for example mic position 1 between the two rows instead of the money seat for the second profile, or you can just clone a single measurement into second profile then change levels manually in the setup menu.

Ways to change input in MRX x10 and MRX x20 / AVM 60:

1. Use the left/right buttons then Select to go to previous/next input - you can set them up in any order, giving each a name up to 8 characters long.

2. Press Input and select from the on-screen list, similar to a TV's except only assigned inputs are displayed so you don't get a list of twenty when you're only using three.

3. Use discrete input codes in aftermarket remotes including Harmony. The new series uses the same remote and commands as the current series except that the Last button doubles as the Home button for MHL sources.

post #73 of 8329 Old 08-14-2015, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just change input. For the two profiles you can run two measurements with different mic positions, for example mic position 1 between the two rows instead of the money seat for the second profile, or you can just clone a single measurement into second profile then change levels manually in the setup menu.

Ways to change input in MRX x10 and MRX x20 / AVM 60:

1. Use the left/right buttons then Select to go to previous/next input - you can set them up in any order, giving each a name up to 8 characters long.

2. Press Input and select from the on-screen list, similar to a TV's except only assigned inputs are displayed so you don't get a list of twenty when you're only using three.

3. Use discrete input codes in aftermarket remotes including Harmony. The new series uses the same remote and commands as the current series except that the Last button doubles as the Home button for MHL sources.
This is a totally awesome feature, thanks for all the info Nick =)
post #74 of 8329 Old 08-14-2015, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Curent-gen switches from and scales to 4K24 / 4K30. Next-gen adds 4K50 / 4K60 switching but there's no scaling of any sort. The scaling chip is still there on the side as a source of OSD graphics which the new HDMI interface can blend with the input. The following are supported - keep in mind this is preliminary info but I see nothing to stop these features:

HDMI 2.0a
HDCP 2.2
BT.2020 Color

Thanks Nick. That's very promising.
post #75 of 8329 Old 08-14-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:

HDMI 2.0a
HDCP 2.2
BT.2020 Color
Currently I'm using a projector that has a vertical stretch feature since I have an anamorphic lens. Are you saying that the next gen receivers/pre-pros will have a similar feature? This would be a plus for those who have lenses but don't want to be limited to buying a projector that has this feature.
post #76 of 8329 Old 08-14-2015, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone know if there will be an MRX520 and MRX320 in the near future?

Thanks
Legairre

post #77 of 8329 Old 08-15-2015, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
Are you saying that the next gen receivers/pre-pros will have a similar feature?
It's HDMI 2.0 support for 21:9 flat panels which seem to be gone just as quickly as they appeared. For scope projection, motorized zoom is another option.

www.tlvexp.ca/2012/06/2-35-lens-versus-zoom-fight/

post #78 of 8329 Old 08-15-2015, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Anyone know if there will be an MRX520 and MRX320 in the near future?
The info presented at the HK show is all that's available.

post #79 of 8329 Old 08-15-2015, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The info presented at the HK show is all that's available.
Thanks Nick. I'm wondering because this site shows coming soon for the AVM 60 and MRX720 on page one and the link at the bottom for page two shows coming soon for the MRX520 and MRX320. While I understand it's not an official Anthem site, they are correct about the AMV60 and MRX720 so it makes me wonder if they are also correct about the MRX520 and MRX320.

http://avex.by/catalog/~catsearch/@e...iew/producer=1

post #80 of 8329 Old 08-15-2015, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
It's HDMI 2.0 support for 21:9 flat panels which seem to be gone just as quickly as they appeared. For scope projection, motorized zoom is another option.
Thanks, Nick. I am in the "anamorphic lens is best" camp.

Unfortunately, that article seemed biased. It made no mention of the fact that when you zoom, you have to account for image spillover above and below the screen, so you need a super dark velvet in order to not see it (which you still can in bright scenes). Also, I've never had any issues with rainbow and moire issues, and I have an acoustically transparent screen. Get a good anamorphic lens, and the differences in clarity of the image are nonexistent.

But I digress. Now my debate is if I should get the AVM 60 or MRX1120. Does having balanced XLR inputs really make that much of a difference? My RCA cables would only need to be a few feet long since my gear is stacked next to each other...

Last edited by blastermaster; 08-15-2015 at 10:18 AM.
post #81 of 8329 Old 08-15-2015, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 310
So question for you, Nick. How does ARC handle the calibration of the overhead speakers? Seeing as how the mic is calibrated for grazing incidence (90 degrees), more or less. Previously even the surrounds weren't far from being 90 degrees to the pointed-upward mic, but in/on ceiling speakers would be much closer to on-axis with the mic than any others. The simple solution is to pause the calibration at each position to reorient the mic before the overhead speakers are measured. There are also some obvious problems with doing this. Just wondering if this was looked into and if grazing incidence is important enough to change the the routine to maintain it for the overhead speakers.

The other question is whether the calibration takes into account the head-related transfer function frequency response profile essential to the effectiveness of the upfiring "Atmos-enabled" speakers if they are in use. I am confident the answer is yes, but just checkin'

Thanks.
post #82 of 8329 Old 08-15-2015, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ ARC always worked with ceiling speakers. (The ears are still on the sides of the head.)

Existing eq methods work with Dolby-enabled speakers as long as the profile they require isn't flattened. For simplicity the usual curve will appear in Targets with the Dolby part working behind the scenes. The room gain part already takes enough work to explain but it's displayed because it varies by room, and affects sub level.

post #83 of 8329 Old 08-15-2015, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post
Does having balanced XLR inputs really make that much of a difference?
Depends who you ask, and I'm sticking with it can if the cable is really long. It's a matter of which problem needs fixing.

post #84 of 8329 Old 08-15-2015, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
so it makes me wonder if they are also correct about the MRX520 and MRX320.
They aren't.

post #85 of 8329 Old 08-15-2015, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^ ARC always worked with ceiling speakers. (The ears are still on the sides of the head.)
<br />
<br />
I had assumed that the microphone's response would be quite different on-axis than it would be at 90 degrees, in the higher frequencies at least.<br />
<br />
Quote:
Existing eq methods work with Dolby-enabled speakers as long as the profile they require isn't flattened. For simplicity the usual curve will appear in Targets with the Dolby part working behind the scenes. The room gain part already takes enough work to explain but it's displayed because it varies by room, and affects sub level.
<br />
<br />
So the the HRTF-related notch in the desired FR of those speakers is implemented in the receiver independent of what ARC does then?
post #86 of 8329 Old 08-15-2015, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ Yes and no - if ARC is not in use, HRTF is applied as it appears on paper. If ARC is in use, HRTF is applied in conjunction with room eq which in this case targets HRTF instead of flat response. In other words if measured response doesn't match HRTF, ARC makes it match.

post #87 of 8329 Old 08-15-2015, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's what I thought, and as I understand it that's how other room EQ devices handle it as well.

Is the ARC mic so indifferent to angle of incidence that a speaker can fire at it anywhere from 90 degrees to 0 degrees and the resulting correction will be virtually the same?
post #88 of 8329 Old 08-16-2015, 12:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10 View Post
Is the ARC mic so indifferent to angle of incidence that a speaker can fire at it anywhere from 90 degrees to 0 degrees and the resulting correction will be virtually the same?
I'd worry more about how the speakers perform over such a wide angle of incidence than I would be concerned about the ARC mike, which should be a fairly decent omnidirectional variant.

Primary (2.1): Thiel CS 1.2 / Velodyne F1000 sub / Adcom GFA-555 Mk2 / Rotel 970BX / Sony CDP-CA9 ES
Secondary (5.1): Paradigm Mini-Monitor v.3 / CC270 v.3 center / ADP-170 v.2 surrounds /
SVS SB1000 sub / Marantz SR-6010 / AppleTV + Win7 PC / BenQ BL3200PT

Last edited by cswiger; 08-27-2015 at 08:53 PM. Reason: typo ordering
post #89 of 8329 Old 08-16-2015, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 713
FWIW, here are grazing and axial incidence calibration curves for a microphone (Dayton EMM-6) that uses a similar capsule to the Anthem ARC mike. (I never got my ARC mike calibrated, because for anything other than ARC a mike connected to a 2-channel sound card for loopback correction is a better way to go.)

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #90 of 8329 Old 08-16-2015, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's not bad really. Less than 1 dB variaton from 5 kHz on down, and 5 kHz is the maximum EQ frequency for ARC on the MRX. I guess I can stop worrying about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page