Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 325 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13866Likes

post #9721 of 9794 Old 05-23-2020, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Guys where is the option to enable a second subwoofer in the AVM60 menu? I just got this processor and do not see a way to enable my second subwoofer. I am just hearing one play while watching movies. I have not used ARC to calibrate yet but have both subs powered on and connected through XLR on the AVM60. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9722 of 9794 Old 05-23-2020, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 3399 Post(s)
Liked: 2153
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStorm View Post
I got the brand new Anthem AVM60 today and fired it up. It said no signal and it turned out my new 7 channel Monoproce monolith amplifier is dead on arrival...
While the amp may be DOA, I do not understand about the "no signal" notice. The AVM 60 has no idea if the power amp is working or not -- unless you mean when you were trying to run Genesis calibration and the mic was unable to pick up the test signals. Is that what happened?

Quote:
Can you guys please tell me the proper way to setup dual subs with this new processor? I don't understand the whole "parallel" instead of independent thing. I want to use Anthems ARC to calibrate my system but I'm unsure how to go about the new pb16 ultras I just got. I was reading an article where it said that I will adjust the phase on both subs and use an SPL meter. I am used to Audyssey from my Denon receiver and just one sub where Audyssey calibrated it for me. I also always set the one sub to 0 degrees on the phase knob.
The AVM 60 is only capable of creating one unique subwoofer output signal, even though it has two output jacks. It's same as a Y splitter.

How are your 2 subs arranged in the room wrt seating area? If the room is enclosed, symmetrical, MLP in the middle, and the subs are also symmetrically placed, in advantageous locations, ARC will do a good job with EQ. But yes, setting the distances for all speakers is left up to you, unfortunately.

Quote:
Also, how do I calculate the subwoofer distance for this processor since I have to do it manually? Do I measure each subwoofer distance in feet to the MLP and then do an average of the 2 distances?
No. Physical distance from a sub is not really relevant because most subs introduce latency due to internal DSP. You might need to add 5-15' to the actual distance. It can be done with some test tones and SPL meter, but it will be a lot better to use REW. Hence the video @Bandyka linked.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #9723 of 9794 Old 05-23-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Guys where is the option to enable a second subwoofer in the AVM60 menu? I am just hearing one play while watching movies.
Both outputs should be live at same time -- there is no separate control.

Try swapping the output connections. Does the other sub play instead, or does the same sub continue to play? If the latter, check the silent sub settings and connections.

Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9724 of 9794 Old 05-23-2020, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
While the amp may be DOA, I do not understand about the "no signal" notice. The AVM 60 has no idea if the power amp is working or not -- unless you mean when you were trying to run Genesis calibration and the mic was unable to pick up the test signals. Is that what happened?

Hi, on the AVM60 every time it powers on it says "no signal" on the LCD screen. Once it gets a signal from a movie, it goes from no signal to showing the DTS audio then every time a black screen happens (like when viewing previews on a bluray disc) it goes back to no signal and then once it detects the next preview it will show DTS again. I got the amp working by the way. The trigger wire was loose on the Anthem causing the amp not to power on.

The AVM 60 is only capable of creating one unique subwoofer output signal, even though it has two output jacks. It's same as a Y splitter.

This is unfortunate since even cheap denon receivers have independent subwoofer calibration with xt32 audyssey.

How are your 2 subs arranged in the room wrt seating area? If the room is enclosed, symmetrical, MLP in the middle, and the subs are also symmetrically placed, in advantageous locations, ARC will do a good job with EQ. But yes, setting the distances for all speakers is left up to you, unfortunately.

I currently have one sub in the corner wall next to the left tower speaker and the other one in the right corner next to my theater chair and right surround (that's on the wall of course).

No. Physical distance from a sub is not really relevant because most subs introduce latency due to internal DSP. You might need to add 5-15' to the actual distance. It can be done with some test tones and SPL meter, but it will be a lot better to use REW. Hence the video

So if I just measure to each subwoofer in feet and then divide by 2, that won't be good enough for the manual distance setting in the AVR? What about setting phase on the subs. Do I just leave them to 0 phase before running ARC? I have an SPL meter but do not have a calibrated REW mic. I only have the one included with this new processor (the ARC one).

@Bandyka linked.
Please see my replies above. Thank you for your help!

Quote:
Both outputs should be live at same time -- there is no separate control.

Try swapping the output connections. Does the other sub play instead, or does the same sub continue to play? If the latter, check the silent sub settings and connections.
I'm going to try this and report back. Maybe it is a wake feature on my other sub. They should both be playing since this processor utilizes them as the y splitter you mentioned.
post #9725 of 9794 Old 05-23-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Please see my replies above. Thank you for your help!
You can make it easier to separate your answers if you wrap the quoted text -- Highlight the text you want to quote, then click the "text balloon" tool.

Quote:
I currently have one sub in the corner wall next to the left tower speaker and the other one in the right corner next to my theater chair and right surround (that's on the wall of course).

So if I just measure to each subwoofer in feet and then divide by 2, that won't be good enough for the manual distance setting in the AVR?
Try it. It's free and will serve as a good baseline for any other adjustments you make.

Quote:
What about setting phase on the subs. Do I just leave them to 0 phase before running ARC?
Until you can capture responses, no point in changing them.

Quote:
I have an SPL meter but do not have a calibrated REW mic. I only have the one included with this new processor (the ARC one).
Try using the ARC mic with REW. IIRC will work, and for these bass measurements, that's all you need.

post #9726 of 9794 Old 05-23-2020, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You can make it easier to separate your answers if you wrap the quoted text -- Highlight the text you want to quote, then click the "text balloon" tool.

Try it. It's free and will serve as a good baseline for any other adjustments you make.

Until you can capture responses, no point in changing them.

Try using the ARC mic with REW. IIRC will work, and for these bass measurements, that's all you need.
Would it better to have both of my subs in similar placements for this processor? Like if I had both in the rear corners of the room so it is more symmetrical versus diagonally as I have them now?

Both Subs are playing now.

For the distance do I just divide the 2 distances by 2 or something else?

Thanks!
post #9727 of 9794 Old 05-23-2020, 02:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
To hear it "faithfully" the best bet is to use Dolby Surround. Dolby Stereo soundtracks were mixed in the presence of a surround decoder (like Pro Logic) and meant to be heard that way. The Lt/Rt (stereo mix) was of course designed to be compatible with stereo reproduction when that's all one has available, but then you are missing out on the benefits of surround playback.

Dolby Surround decodes these mixes very well and properly in your 5.1 system. I'd say the same for 7.1 systems. If there are users who have full Atmos kit and want to suppress the ambience Dolby Surround places in the overhead speakers, create a speaker profile without the overhead speakers. I have such a "7.1" profile but use it only for TV programs. YMMV.

Enjoy!

Thanks! That’s what I wanted to know. So it sounds like the Dolby Surround mode can perform dual functions. Not only does it upmix by figuring out how to artificially “create” channels that don’t exist in the source (e.g. upmixing a 5.1 source to Atmos), it properly decodes and plays back these Lt/Rt mixes without possibly taking creative license to “remix” the original Lt/Rt mix on the fly. I guess Dolby Surround is able to somehow differentiate when to perform which function.

Out of curiosity, do you happen to know how the Anthem is able to automatically do this matrix decoding for DTS 2.0 sources? When I mentioned to someone on the Blu-ray.com forum (someone who seems to certainly know what he’s talking about on this topic) that my Anthem automatically does it for DTS-HD MA 2.0, he sounded surprised because as far as he knows, DTS 2.0 (lossy or lossless) doesn't carry any surround flags to tell the AVR to do this decoding. Therefore, one would need to manually turn on an upmixer on their AVR to do this decoding, regardless of whether the source is LPCM 2.0, DTS 2.0, or Dolby 2.0. It appears that the Anthem requires manual intervention for LPCM 2.0 (turning on Dolby Surround) but not DTS 2.0 (as evidenced by having listening mode "None" and still decoding). Haven't tested out yet with Dolby 2.0, so not sure what happens there.
post #9728 of 9794 Old 05-23-2020, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does this AVM60 processor say No signal on the screen a lot? Even when I pause a bluray movie it says no signal. Then I'll resume the movie and it says the audio track DTS HD MSTR 3/2. Thanks
post #9729 of 9794 Old 05-23-2020, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I’m trying to check out an external DAC with the 1120. From everything I have read and experienced it seems the subwoofer outputs won’t work with analog inputs in use and analog input processing deactivated, which then routes through the 1120 DACs.

Is there a menu option I may be missing to get the sub outs working with analog inputs, while not activating the internal DACs?

Thanks!

Last edited by RPNYC; 05-23-2020 at 04:19 PM.
post #9730 of 9794 Old 05-23-2020, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Have a question about Atmos. Recently bought a 720 and added Atmos speakers. Set it up using ARC. When I play an Atmos disc the Atmos light comes on and everything sounds fine. If I switch over to Netflix either thru the app on my Oled TV or thru the app on Apple TV I still get the Atmos light on the front panel lighting up but I get no sound at all. If I toggle the mode on the remote to PCM I get sound. My question is two fold, is there a setting I missed for streaming and if not what am I missing, if anything by going PCM? Thanks
post #9731 of 9794 Old 05-23-2020, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1404 Post(s)
Liked: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post
Have a question about Atmos. Recently bought a 720 and added Atmos speakers. Set it up using ARC. When I play an Atmos disc the Atmos light comes on and everything sounds fine. If I switch over to Netflix either thru the app on my Oled TV or thru the app on Apple TV I still get the Atmos light on the front panel lighting up but I get no sound at all. If I toggle the mode on the remote to PCM I get sound. My question is two fold, is there a setting I missed for streaming and if not what am I missing, if anything by going PCM? Thanks
Does 720 display say Atmos when you play a disc? Also Atmos only works if the sending/source device is set to bitstream because bitstream sends the packet for decoding and Atmos must be decoded in the receiving/target device like the 720. So if you use PCM (which decodes in the appletv/source device) you will not get Atmos at the receiver/720.

Check and play a disc with atmos and see if the display on the 720 says Atmos first.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread

Last edited by Legairre; 05-23-2020 at 03:23 PM.
post #9732 of 9794 Old 05-23-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmoney View Post
Thanks! That’s what I wanted to know. So it sounds like the Dolby Surround mode can perform dual functions. Not only does it upmix by figuring out how to artificially “create” channels that don’t exist in the source (e.g. upmixing a 5.1 source to Atmos), it properly decodes and plays back these Lt/Rt mixes without possibly taking creative license to “remix” the original Lt/Rt mix on the fly. I guess Dolby Surround is able to somehow differentiate when to perform which function.
In the case of Pro Logic II, it used the same core algorithm regardless of the source. I'm pretty sure the same is true for DSU.

The main difference between upmixing and surround decoding is how the source was prepared, not how the decoder works. Upmixing is applied to content in its finished form, 2.0, 5.1; decoding applies to content encoded a certain way for the purpose of being decoded. Encoder tools can offer the mix engineer specific ways to encode audio signals to evoke a specific result. This has to do with phase shifters for surround panning.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, do you happen to know how the Anthem is able to automatically do this matrix decoding for DTS 2.0 sources? When I mentioned to someone on the Blu-ray.com forum (someone who seems to certainly know what he’s talking about on this topic) that my Anthem automatically does it for DTS-HD MA 2.0, he sounded surprised because as far as he knows, DTS 2.0 (lossy or lossless) doesn't carry any surround flags to tell the AVR to do this decoding. Therefore, one would need to manually turn on an upmixer on their AVR to do this decoding, regardless of whether the source is LPCM 2.0, DTS 2.0, or Dolby 2.0. It appears that the Anthem requires manual intervention for LPCM 2.0 (turning on Dolby Surround) but not DTS 2.0 (as evidenced by having listening mode "None" and still decoding). Haven't tested out yet with Dolby 2.0, so not sure what happens there.
I just did some testing with "Dave" Blu-ray which has 2.0 tracks in both DTS and Dolby.

When the DD track (alt language) plays, the "None" option is absent, but when I select "Dolby Digital" as the mode instead of an upmixer, it plays in straight 2-ch stereo.

Switching to the DTS track offers a "DTS-HD Master" mode, but as we've seen it is still being upmixed. That's a question for Anthem.

Aside from that, I can confirm that DTS 2.0 bitstreams are able to carry an Lt/Rt flag. (See Part 3 of Blu-ray Disc spec.) Whether it does or not is something for MediaInfo to say. If there's no flag, Anthem is just assuming that 2.0 encoded audio ought to be upmixed -- rather presumptuous.

post #9733 of 9794 Old 05-23-2020, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Does 720 display say Atmos when you play a disc? Also Atmos only works if the sending/source device is set to bitstream because bitstream sends the packet for decoding and Atmos must be decoded in the receiving/target device like the 720. So if you use PCM (which decodes in the appletv/source device) you will not get Atmos at the receiver/720.

Check and play a disc with atmos and see if the display on the 720 says Atmos first.
I did say in my post that when I play a disc the 720 lights up Atmos. Problem is not with discs but with Oled and AppleTV when watching Netflix and trying to use Atmos. Trying to determine if the problem is with Netflix or the 720/receiver. Thanks
post #9734 of 9794 Old 05-23-2020, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2438 Post(s)
Liked: 1524
Quote:
Thank you for the reply! Will this long video cover the way to set dual subwoofer distances when using a processor like this Anthem AVM60 I just got? I know it can be trickier since this processor doesn't have independent subwoofer outputs (it has parallel instead so they act as 1 instead of 2 separate). Thanks!
This video might be lengthy but if you don't watch it you could be spending a lot longer guessing and asking questions otherwise you wouldn't
Just watch it, even if there is no specific answer to your question in it you will be a lot closer to a good understanding and basics to setup multiple subs properly.

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
post #9735 of 9794 Old 05-23-2020, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Can anyone that has a Anthem AVM60 sit by their LCD display screen for a few minutes and tell me if theirs does a slight flicker on the screen? My brand new Anthem AVM60 screen flickers randomly and in random spots on the screen? I really hope this isn't a defective unit please help.
post #9736 of 9794 Old 05-23-2020, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post
I did say in my post that when I play a disc the 720 lights up Atmos. Problem is not with discs but with Oled and AppleTV when watching Netflix and trying to use Atmos. Trying to determine if the problem is with Netflix or the 720/receiver. Thanks
Sorry for misunderstanding, but you actually said "When I play an Atmos disc the Atmos light comes on". So I assumed you meant a light on your BD player because the 720 doesn't have an Atmos light, it has a display that says Atmos.

If you are getting Atmos from your BD player and not from other devices then the 720 is not the problem it's the other devices.

Last edited by Legairre; 05-23-2020 at 07:53 PM.
post #9737 of 9794 Old 05-23-2020, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can anyone that has a Anthem AVM60 sit by their LCD display screen for a few minutes and tell me if theirs does a slight flicker on the screen? My brand new Anthem AVM60 screen flickers randomly and in random spots on the screen? I really hope this isn't a defective unit please help.
I don't have the 60 but I do have 720 which is the same platform as the 60 and the display does not flicker one bit. Your 60's display should be rock solid and not flicker.
Jonas2 likes this.

post #9738 of 9794 Old 05-23-2020, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Edge View Post
FAT32 for the win!

Thanks Bleed, I finally got a drive to work and loaded the beta firmware and the AVM60 is working again. Turns out I had a bad USB (2 in fact, cheapo amazon crap) that I had originally tried which formatted with fat32. My samsung drives were too big and the only options were exfat and NTSF, but I found partition assistant and formatted the samsung drive to fat32 and the new fw loaded. Thanks for all the help, anthem never did respond.
Bleeding Edge likes this.
post #9739 of 9794 Old 05-23-2020, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
In the case of Pro Logic II, it used the same core algorithm regardless of the source. I'm pretty sure the same is true for DSU.

The main difference between upmixing and surround decoding is how the source was prepared, not how the decoder works. Upmixing is applied to content in its finished form, 2.0, 5.1; decoding applies to content encoded a certain way for the purpose of being decoded. Encoder tools can offer the mix engineer specific ways to encode audio signals to evoke a specific result. This has to do with phase shifters for surround panning.

I just did some testing with "Dave" Blu-ray which has 2.0 tracks in both DTS and Dolby.

When the DD track (alt language) plays, the "None" option is absent, but when I select "Dolby Digital" as the mode instead of an upmixer, it plays in straight 2-ch stereo.

Switching to the DTS track offers a "DTS-HD Master" mode, but as we've seen it is still being upmixed. That's a question for Anthem.

In this case, isn’t the DTS track being decoded (rather than upmixed), given the difference between the two processes and since Dave does have an Lt/Rt mix? In any case, that’s interesting because it sounds like you’re saying that the Anthem isn’t automatically decoding the matrixed 2.0 mix for DD without engaging an upmixer, whereas for DTS it is being automatically decoded without one. That’s curious indeed.

Quote:
Aside from that, I can confirm that DTS 2.0 bitstreams are able to carry an Lt/Rt flag. (See Part 3 of Blu-ray Disc spec.) Whether it does or not is something for MediaInfo to say. If there's no flag, Anthem is just assuming that 2.0 encoded audio ought to be upmixed -- rather presumptuous.
I don't think the Anthem is upmixing all DTS 2.0 encoded audio. I just tested two different discs:

1. The Easy Rider 4K UHD has a DTS-HD MA 2.0 mono track (dual mono). Without engaging any upmixer (so just using "DTS-HD Master" mode), it outputs to only the Left and Right speakers (dual mono). When I turn on Dolby Surround, it collapses to just the center channel.
  2. The Birth of a Nation (1915) Blu-ray (from Twilight Time) has a DTS-HD MA 2.0 track that's a 2-channel stereo mix (silent movie music score). In "DTS-HD Master" mode, it outputs to only the Left and Right speakers. Turning on Dolby Surround upmixes to all 5 channels.

But maybe the Anthem is smart enough to figure out if DTS 2.0 tracks with Lt/Rt mixes need to be decoded whether it has an Lt/Rt flag or not.
post #9740 of 9794 Old 05-23-2020, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry for misunderstanding, but you actually said "When I play an Atmos disc the Atmos light comes on". So I assumed you meant a light on your BD player because the 720 doesn't have an Atmos light, it has a display that says Atmos.

If you are getting Atmos from your BD player and not from other devices then the 720 is not the problem it's the other devices.
I suspect Netflix is the problem just do not know what the solution is as I do have the AppleTV set for Dolby Atmos. Was hoping someone had run across the same issue. Will try posting in the ATV threads. Thanks.
post #9741 of 9794 Old 05-23-2020, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2962 Post(s)
Liked: 2083
The ATV does a different kind of Atmos than just about any other device.

Disks typically use Dolby TrueHD to transport it and the meta data makes it Atmos.

Streaming typically uses Dolby Digital Plus, with meta data.

The ATV uses PCM with a layer of Atmos meta data.

But it should still say Atmos on the receiver in all three cases.

My current setup.
Recommended podcasts: The Next Picture Show, the /filmcast, AV Rant.
post #9742 of 9794 Old 05-23-2020, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't have the 60 but I do have 720 which is the same platform as the 60 and the display does not flicker one bit. Your 60's display should be rock solid and not flicker.
Thanks for confirming this. I have had a really bad strand of bad luck lately and this just adds to it. If the display is dim it almost looks like a small lightning strike in different areas. It seems to do it quite often. Sometimes as frequently as every 15 seconds or so. It sounds like I might have to get a replacement unit since I just purchased this a week ago .
post #9743 of 9794 Old 05-24-2020, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmoney View Post
In this case, isn’t the DTS track being decoded (rather than upmixed), given the difference between the two processes and since Dave does have an Lt/Rt mix? In any case, that’s interesting because it sounds like you’re saying that the Anthem isn’t automatically decoding the matrixed 2.0 mix for DD without engaging an upmixer, whereas for DTS it is being automatically decoded without one. That’s curious indeed.
I did not make a note at the time, but when selecting the DD soundtrack the Anthem is already in DSU mode -- perhaps because that is the default mode I have set for stereo audio. I did not try settinf the default to None to see what would happen -- maybe the Lt/Rt flag would intervene? Yes, somehow the DD track can be heard in 2-ch stereo if one wants, but the DTS track refuses to allow that.

Quote:
I don't think the Anthem is upmixing all DTS 2.0 encoded audio. I just tested two different discs:
  1. The Easy Rider 4K UHD has a DTS-HD MA 2.0 mono track (dual mono). Without engaging any upmixer (so just using "DTS-HD Master" mode), it outputs to only the Left and Right speakers (dual mono). When I turn on Dolby Surround, it collapses to just the center channel.
  2. The Birth of a Nation (1915) Blu-ray (from Twilight Time) has a DTS-HD MA 2.0 track that's a 2-channel stereo mix (silent movie music score). In "DTS-HD Master" mode, it outputs to only the Left and Right speakers. Turning on Dolby Surround upmixes to all 5 channels.

But maybe the Anthem is smart enough to figure out if DTS 2.0 tracks with Lt/Rt mixes need to be decoded whether it has an Lt/Rt flag or not.
Maybe it's that Dave and other such movies actually carry the Lt/Rt flag. That's the only way I can reconcile what we're seeing.

Just to add to the mystery, when I apply either Neural:X or DSU to these Dave tracks, there is nothing from the height speakers. But if I set the player to output 2.0 PCM, then these modes both create height speaker signals -- the difference is not subtle. From this very limited test, the presumed presence of Lt/Rt flags appear to activate a decoding mode more in keeping with the theatrical result -- no height outputs -- than one would get when doing standard upmixing. Clever!

I had not realized that these "immersive" upmixers have a special "surround decoding" mode activated by the Lt/Rt flag that better suits the intent of the original mix.
nathan_h and edmoney like this.

post #9744 of 9794 Old 05-24-2020, 01:56 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Thanks for confirming this. I have had a really bad strand of bad luck lately and this just adds to it. If the display is dim it almost looks like a small lightning strike in different areas. It seems to do it quite often. Sometimes as frequently as every 15 seconds or so. It sounds like I might have to get a replacement unit since I just purchased this a week ago .

Which HDMI cables are you using? Have you tried replugging them or different cables?
Bill-99 likes this.

LG OLED65E6P, Anthem MRX720, Rogue Atlas Magnum II, UPA7, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL, Luna Duo center, Sierra 2 surrounds, and HTM200SE front & rear heights, Rythmik E15HP (1, but plan on adding a 2nd), VPI Classic 1+ (VTA Tower, 3D arm), VAS NOVA and Soundsmith Paua cartridges, Manley Chinook, Oppo 103D, Oppo 203. Audio Sensibility and Blue Jeans cabling, Symposium & Isoacoustics isolation products
post #9745 of 9794 Old 05-24-2020, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bezoar View Post
Thanks Bleed, I finally got a drive to work and loaded the beta firmware and the AVM60 is working again. Turns out I had a bad USB (2 in fact, cheapo amazon crap) that I had originally tried which formatted with fat32. My samsung drives were too big and the only options were exfat and NTSF, but I found partition assistant and formatted the samsung drive to fat32 and the new fw loaded. Thanks for all the help, anthem never did respond.
I'm so happy the story ended happily. Bummer that Anthem didn't respond.

LG OLED65B6P-U, Vizio M658-G1, Revel B15a (2), SVS Ultra Towers, Anthem MRX 720, TiVo Roamio OTA, Apple TV 4K, Tivo Stream 4K, Sony PS3, LG UP870, Panamax MAX 5500
post #9746 of 9794 Old 05-24-2020, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1070 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrac View Post
Which HDMI cables are you using? Have you tried replugging them or different cables?
Great point that people frequently encounter. Page 10 of the manual says "Use only certified High Speed cables..." and it's important to do so. They're cheap from places like Monoprice, a bit more from Blue Jeans Cables.

Also note that HDMI cables can be damaged, sometimes pretty easily. A couple of years ago I was doing something at the AV rack and didn't realize I'd stepped on an HDMI cable that runs from the AVM 60 to the TV. It apparently fractured the cable in some way. Non-4K content played without issues but 4K from blu ray resulted in periodic video blackouts and flickers... typically ranging from 5 to 20 seconds. Drove me a bit crazy tracking it down since I had a lot of new equipment at the same time and it wasn't clear where the problem originated.
hery19 and Jonas2 like this.

5.2.4 System: Anthem AVM 60 | Anthem Statement A5 | ATI AT526NC | Revel F208, C208, M106, C763L | Rythmik F12 | Oppo UDP-203 | Roku Premiere+ | DIY HTPC | Samsung UN65KS800DF | Logitech Harmony Companion | Amazon Echo Dot
post #9747 of 9794 Old 05-24-2020, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 12522
Using Monoprice Select Metallic Series High Speed HDMI Cable - [email protected], HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YUV 4:4:4, 6ft, Red. Used with MRX 720. Connected to Oppo 203, AppleTV4K and Samsung cable box. TV is LG Oled (2016). No issues. Excellent price.
hery19 likes this.

LG Oled65E6P, Anthem MRX 720, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4, Samsung DVR, Rega P3 turntable, Bellari VP130 Phono Pre Amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Fronts, Vienna Acoustic Maestro Center, Vienna Acoustic Bach Rears, Rel T7i Sub, Bluesound Vault 2
post #9748 of 9794 Old 05-24-2020, 07:39 AM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Hey guys, my android box doesn't seem to work well with Prime Video (video is dark), while my LG OLEDB6 looks fine with Prime using its own smart TV app.

So when I watch any of the SmartTV options on my LG (Netflix or Prime), I'd like to send the audio via the ARC channel to my AVM60. But for the life of me, I can't get it to work. Right now I have the Main Display Out with ARC going to my TV's HDMI 2 (which is the one with ARC). In the TV's menu I've turned on CEC and the audio out is set to HDMI.

On my AVM60, I've also turned on CEC control. But I am not sure what to do as it relates to the input section of the AVM60. My HDMI 1 through 3 are used for my Cable box, Android Box and BlueRay player.

If I select say an unused input and select "Audio" as HDMI Arc, I am unable to select a Video Input, which I think makes sense since I assume that the AVM60 assumes the video is coming from the TV itself and therefore the Dislplay Out with ARC. But no picture or audio comes up on the LG.

I've tried a few different things, but either can't get video or can't get audio, or both. Is there something simple I'm missing here?

My DIY Subs ... https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #9749 of 9794 Old 05-24-2020, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrac View Post
Hi, my post is referring to the small LCD screen on the actual processor itself. The AVM60 small screen has random lines that appear like lightning strikes. I would say that if anything it would be the power cable but not HDMI related. An HDMI cable would be issues with my OLED TV screen and I don't have any issues there.
post #9750 of 9794 Old 05-24-2020, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked: 2158
Quote:

Yeah, that's a bummer. Did you buy locally? Probably the fastest way to take care of it - take it back to the dealer so they can confirm, then likely Anthem will ship them a replacement unit. If you contact Anthem, they'll more than likely have them ship it back to them, and it'll take longer.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page