Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 327 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13986Likes

post #9781 of 10055 Old 05-25-2020, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2778 Post(s)
Liked: 2686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Yes. For further discussion see this recent post and the half dozen that follow.
So, being that this is an Anthem thread and that there has been a promise of a firmware update to add the DTS/IMAX thing, I wonder if DSU Center Spread is going to be nuked at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9782 of 10055 Old 05-25-2020, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked: 2192
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
So, being that this is an Anthem thread and that there has been a promise of a firmware update to add the DTS/IMAX thing, I wonder if DSU Center Spread is going to be nuked at the same time.
The reply Gene received from D&M was:

"Center Spread feature has been eliminated by Dolby in ALL licensed products from 2020 and beyond."

That to me means it is gone from any products made after that point. I do not take that to mean any existing products are required to issue updates to remove it. Not even the DTS/IMAX update would trigger it. The only possibility would be if Dolby issues an update to their decoders that requires new FW in existing products, e.g. a bug fix, then the Center Width change would tag along for the ride.

It should be understood that neither Dolby nor the product makers like pushing updates to the field. It causes a lot of issues. Something as innocuous as Center Width would never justify an update on its own.

I'm not sure why they are taking this step, but it was a half-hearted implementation from the start. First, it was just on/off, no other adjustment. Not so bad, really, but they also failed allow the products to identify it as a unique mode as was done with Movie/Music. That prevented users from presetting Spread on for music sources and off for movie/TV sources. Had to fiddle the menu each time. Getting rid of the mode "solved" that problem.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win10 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
post #9783 of 10055 Old 05-25-2020, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Addition of a power AMP...MCA 525

Hi all,

I was initially looking to add an external 2 channel amp to run my extra side surrounds and almost pulled the trigger on a cheap mono price amp/ then looked at the Dayton.

Then I thought, why not add a 5 channel amp, take the load off my MRX 1120, power up my front 3 while powering up my additional side surrounds. Too much, overkill? As it is now, I usually listen at -22 to -24db. Room is 15.5 x 27 my 8'2"...fully treated room.
I'm able to pick up an MCA525 at a fantastic price, which would match my current set up. Also found a real bargain on a Marantz MM7055 5 channel amp. Might not be as good but I'm sure would do the trick.

Anyone here experiment with a similar set up, adding an MCA 525 or maybe even the 325 or something similar? I'm trying to determine if it's worth the investment, at the levels I listen to, no where near reference. So I know I have plenty of head room left in my current set up. I just have that itch and with the deal now, add a 5 channel vs a cheap 2 channel?

Thoughts, opinions, is appreciated.
thanks

CineMoe 3.0 Atmos 9.2.4
JVC RS540 | EluneVision Reference 4K Audioweave 150" 2.35:1 | Anthem MRX-1120 | Emo BasX A-150 | OPPO UDP-203 | Definitive Tech BP8060ST, CS8060HD, 4x SR8040BP, 2x SR9080BP, 4x Atmos DI 6.5R | Dual HSU VTF-3 MK5 subs | Ultralink HDC-150RM power conditioner | Harmony Elite | 8x Sonos Connect Amps| Monoprice 12AWG speakerwire, certified HDR HDMI |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9784 of 10055 Old 05-25-2020, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
Sorry to hear that! I'm at a loss for what could be the problem in that case.
Yeah me too. Thinking it's a Netflix problem since it happens with the ATV and Oled TV but only when using Netflix. Guess I'll just switch to PCM when I want to watch something in Atmos on Netflix until I find a workaround.
post #9785 of 10055 Old 05-25-2020, 09:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear that! I'm at a loss for what could be the problem in that case.
Played around with the settings on the Anthem tonight and solved my problem. Needed to set the multi channel option in sound settings for the ATV to DTS X and then direct instead of indirect. Once I did that not only did Atmos show up on the receiver but sound came out of it too!
mbroadus likes this.
post #9786 of 10055 Old 05-26-2020, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3034 Post(s)
Liked: 2128
Glad it worked. That's super weird you have to set the Anthem to DTS in order to get Atmos...... Maybe it was the "direct" versus "indirect" setting that you also adjusted that was the key?

My current setup.
Recommended podcasts: The Next Picture Show, the /filmcast, AV Rant.
post #9787 of 10055 Old 05-26-2020, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Glad it worked. That's super weird you have to set the Anthem to DTS in order to get Atmos...... Maybe it was the "direct" versus "indirect" setting that you also adjusted that was the key?
Back to the drawing board after about 20 minutes audio went out again. Switched over to PCM. Have no idea what the issue is now.
post #9788 of 10055 Old 05-26-2020, 04:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Getting audio but no video with Apple TV connected to Anthem MRX 720

Hi All - Recently purchased an Apple TV 4K and can't seem to get anything other than audio from it. Some troubleshooting steps I've taken:

* Connected the ATV to several different HDMI ports on the back of the receiver (I always get audio but no video). The front of the receiver shows 4K.
* Connected the ATV to the HDMI port on the front of the receiver. In this case I get both audio and video but at 1080 per the front of the receiver.
* Verified that the input settings are configured correctly in the setup menu.
* Deleted and re-created a new input in the setup menu.
* Tried several different HDMI cables and verified that they support 4K.
* Changed the ATV output to 1080.
* Verified the receiver has the latest firmware.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by guru_ck; 05-26-2020 at 04:24 PM.
post #9789 of 10055 Old 05-26-2020, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2492 Post(s)
Liked: 1629
What TV do you have? You didn't mention in your post. Make sure you have a certified premium HDMI cable from AVR to TV capable of 18Gbps.

Afro GT
post #9790 of 10055 Old 05-26-2020, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
What TV do you have? You didn't mention in your post. Make sure you have a certified premium HDMI cable from AVR to TV capable of 18Gbps.
Thanks! I did try connecting the Apple TV directly to the HDMI cable that normally runs from the AVR to the TV and didn't have any issues getting a picture, so suspect it's not the cable?
post #9791 of 10055 Old 05-26-2020, 06:23 PM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
I'll mention a couple of things that might help.

Timing could be crucial. I use a Harmony remote on the main system (in the signature) and everything works there. A second system in an exercise room has an MRX 520 and a Sony 900E TV. Every morning it's the same drill:
- Turn on the system early in the morning for the first time. TV takes too long to come up from a cold start and reverts to built-in speakers, ignoring the audio return channel.
- Power down. Wait 10 seconds. Power back up. TV detects external AVR and uses it with the audio return channel.

I used the 520 in the main system for about a month while the AVM 60 was having a network card replaced. It never missed a beat. My opinion is that it's the Sony TV. It's annoying and there doesn't seem to be a work-around, so I live with it. It's probably no surprise that this will be my last Sony TV.
Thanks, so I did this again but didn't give up as quickly, and turned everything off then on, and it worked. Having said that, when I switched back to "cable" I lost sound from my STB, and had to turn everything off and on again.

So definitely quirky!
Bill-99 likes this.

My DIY Subs ... https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #9792 of 10055 Old 05-26-2020, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post
Thanks, so I did this again but didn't give up as quickly, and turned everything off then on, and it worked. Having said that, when I switched back to "cable" I lost sound from my STB, and had to turn everything off and on again.

So definitely quirky!
Are you changing inputs using multiple factory remotes? That can be a useful step in exposing the quirks as you work toward more consistent system operation. Also, I use a Harmony remote. It was informative to see what setup command sequences they used, which I had to tweak.

Which STB are you using? Maybe others on this thread can offer specific suggestions.

5.2.4 System: Anthem AVM 60 | Anthem Statement A5 | ATI AT526NC | Revel F208, C208, M106, C763L | Rythmik F12 | Oppo UDP-203 | Roku Premiere+ | DIY HTPC | Samsung UN65KS800DF
3.1 System: Anthem MRX 520 | Revel M106, C205 | Velodyne FSR-12 | Sony XBR-49X900E
post #9793 of 10055 Old 05-28-2020, 03:34 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Anthem Customer Support

Has anyone heard anything from Anthem customer support?

I sent them an enquiry about a week ago and havent heard anything back...
post #9794 of 10055 Old 05-28-2020, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1569 Post(s)
Liked: 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awrence View Post

From being on this thread, I'm guessing indirectly pandemic related.
nathan_h likes this.
post #9795 of 10055 Old 05-28-2020, 07:26 AM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:

Try calling. I called the week before last and spoke to a guy (think his name was Chris) in a matter of maybe 5 minutes.
Jonas2 likes this.

My DIY Subs ... https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #9796 of 10055 Old 05-28-2020, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3314 Post(s)
Liked: 2196
Quote:

Quote:
Try calling. I called the week before last and spoke to a guy (think his name was Chris) in a matter of maybe 5 minutes.

Yes, call! I've always had excellent experience calling in. Rarely on hold for more than a few minutes.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #9797 of 10055 Old 05-28-2020, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Yup, good advice! Connected straight away and told me what I needed to know
pbc and Jonas2 like this.
post #9798 of 10055 Old 05-28-2020, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1417 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Glad to hear you got them on the phone. Anthem has this at the top of their site. Even though they suggest emailing it sounds like a phone call works better.

Quote:
During the unprecedented impact of COVID-19 we have reduced both staff and hours of operation. Because of this, all calls may not be answered. For all technical support related inquires we encourage you to email [email protected] Please expect a slightly longer response time than usual. Thank you for your understanding during this time.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #9799 of 10055 Old 05-28-2020, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legairre View Post
Glad to hear you got them on the phone. Anthem has this at the top of their site. Even though they suggest emailing it sounds like a phone call works better.
As someone who's done a lot of tech support, I find that bizarre - and of bad use for a lot international customers. I mean phone is a constant interruption, but support emails and tickets are easier to manage and can be done offline.
post #9800 of 10055 Old 05-28-2020, 11:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2517 Post(s)
Liked: 1609
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
As someone who's done a lot of tech support, I find that bizarre - and of bad use for a lot international customers. I mean phone is a constant interruption, but support emails and tickets are easier to manage and can be done offline.
I've been in that area for a loong time running a few businesses. What you are saying makes sense if you are looking at a larger corporation however Anthem is different, their support is a more friendly, family type of approach hence they are using the phone a lot. They are not script readers like most large companies with mostly useless first rounds attempts often repeating through multiple personnel wasting time. Saying that I've been in contact with them on a few occasions via email/tickets and they were more then efficient once started to action a ticket. In these times we should be grateful they still attend to customers even on the phone.

On the phone you can also expect a more friendly and personal approach.
mbroadus and Jonas2 like this.

EPSON TW-9300 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, DIY Subs 18" 24hz tune and 12" 17hz tune Panasonic UB900, HTPC, etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post50298297
post #9801 of 10055 Old 05-28-2020, 11:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandyka View Post
I've been in that area for a loong time running a few businesses. What you are saying makes sense if you are looking at a larger corporation however Anthem is different, their support is a more friendly, family type of approach hence they are using the phone a lot. They are not script readers like most large companies with mostly useless first rounds attempts often repeating through multiple personnel wasting time. Saying that I've been in contact with them on a few occasions via email/tickets and they were more then efficient once started to action a ticket. In these times we should be grateful they still attend to customers even on the phone.

On the phone you can also expect a more friendly and personal approach.
I'm in a small company, and when I was primary tech support, it was maybe 8 people in the company, and my support was so spread to other tasks like development and deployments etc. And email was so much easier to deal with as it was asynchronous. Having to take the phone was just like getting someone slap you at the back of the head and interrupt work...
post #9802 of 10055 Old 05-29-2020, 01:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2517 Post(s)
Liked: 1609
Quote:
I'm in a small company, and when I was primary tech support, it was maybe 8 people in the company, and my support was so spread to other tasks like development and deployments etc. And email was so much easier to deal with as it was asynchronous. Having to take the phone was just like getting someone slap you at the back of the head and interrupt work...
I am talking about from the customer point of view and when an employer gets you to do multiple roles that's the result as you just said, nothing is worse then having a frustrated support person on the phone counting every second to get rid of you and emailing back and forth can be rather slow and painful form the customer's perspective but let's not go there.

EPSON TW-9300 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, DIY Subs 18" 24hz tune and 12" 17hz tune Panasonic UB900, HTPC, etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...l#post50298297

Last edited by Bandyka; 05-29-2020 at 01:39 AM.
post #9803 of 10055 Old 05-29-2020, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, international customers of course can still use email, but phones remain a great mechanism for at least North Americans. It's my go-to. I personally hate using email for pretty much everything, so impersonal, and I find it often (like texts) wastes more time than a single (hopefully), simple phone call that just gets it all out there. I've had too many emails (just in general) where parts were overlooked or ignored, and a back and forth had to ensure.

Still, emails do have their place when documenting is needed or handy. It's just nice Anthem has both tools available. It is interesting, at least in my case, that phone contact is vastly superior to email with Anthem, in this *modern* era in which younger folks might not even know how to make a phone call....

Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #9804 of 10055 Old 05-29-2020, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3034 Post(s)
Liked: 2128
I've had great luck with Anthem/Paradigm using their email/form on their web site.

Case in point, I had a question about IR control of one of their devices this morning. They got back to me within an hour with the answer.

Last week I had a different question, and heard back about 24 hours after contacting them, again by email, and that was a multipart inquiry with room for confusion.

In short: They explicitly asked that I use email, on their web site, because it helps them manage support more efficiently, and it appears to be working.

My current setup.
Recommended podcasts: The Next Picture Show, the /filmcast, AV Rant.
post #9805 of 10055 Old 05-29-2020, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Well, international customers of course can still use email, but phones remain a great mechanism for at least North Americans. It's my go-to. I personally hate using email for pretty much everything, so impersonal, and I find it often (like texts) wastes more time than a single (hopefully), simple phone call that just gets it all out there. I've had too many emails (just in general) where parts were overlooked or ignored, and a back and forth had to ensure.

Still, emails do have their place when documenting is needed or handy. It's just nice Anthem has both tools available. It is interesting, at least in my case, that phone contact is vastly superior to email with Anthem, in this *modern* era in which younger folks might not even know how to make a phone call....
Yeah, I won't answer my phone at all unless it is my wife or I'm expecting it.

Email is so much better. No misremembering, unclarity, etc I can put in screenshots, URLs for additional info, videos.

Anyhow, anthem not bothering answering email support in favor of North America phone support is just poor poor form.
post #9806 of 10055 Old 05-29-2020, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked: 12763
Tonight I am planning on watching my first 4K disc, with DTS-HD Master Audio, using my MRX 720. What should be the MRX 720 input settings and what should I see on the MRX display? When I watch any of the LG built in apps it displays PCM.

LG Oled65E6P, Anthem MRX 720, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4, Samsung DVR, Rega P3 turntable, Bellari VP130 Phono Pre Amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Fronts, Vienna Acoustic Maestro Center, Vienna Acoustic Bach Rears, Rel T7i Sub, Bluesound Vault 2
post #9807 of 10055 Old 05-29-2020, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1417 Post(s)
Liked: 835
Quote:
It may inconvenience you as a support person, but as a customer who wants help and doesn't want to go back and forth for days with emails, a phone call can't be beat. With email a support person may not even reply for days. With a phone call you get a human being right away to answer your questions.
Jonas2, Bandyka and Tsender like this.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #9808 of 10055 Old 05-30-2020, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I won't answer my phone at all unless it is my wife or I'm expecting it.
Me too! But, I don't provide phone support for a company, so I find it extremely frustrating when companies do not offer phone contact. In the course of what I do for a living, sometimes I need a FAST answer, and don't have time to waste. I know this is a bit different, but I've steered countless thousands of company dollars away from companies that have a "Contact Form" only, to companies that actually answered their phones, and my questions, on the spot. I know, it's cheaper to not pay people to answer phones, but it doesn't do end users justice. Just my opinion... Some companies are very prompt in email/contact form responses, some are not.

Quote:
Email is so much better. No misremembering, unclarity, etc I can put in screenshots, URLs for additional info, videos.
Well, email is different. Like I said, it has its place and purpose, and yes, can be quite useful! But nice to have both options. It's great to be able to email graphs to support and get feedback on them, no way to do that with a phone call really...

Quote:
Anyhow, anthem not bothering answering email support in favor of North America phone support is just poor poor form.
It's not that they don't respond to NA emails, it's just that the response times are variable. I don't think they favor phones over emails, it's just they are able to tend to their phones, and I applaud them for that.
Legairre likes this.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #9809 of 10055 Old 05-30-2020, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1427 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by gprace View Post
Tonight I am planning on watching my first 4K disc, with DTS-HD Master Audio, using my MRX 720. What should be the MRX 720 input settings and what should I see on the MRX display? When I watch any of the LG built in apps it displays PCM.

Use the mode button on the remote, it should say, DTS-HD Master Audio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gprace likes this.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Naim Uniti Nova, Vintage Marantz Model 22, Oppo UDP-203, Bluesound Node 2i, TEAC A-4070 Tape Deck
Focal Aria 936/CC900, B&W M-1, SVS SB-3000, MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #9810 of 10055 Old 05-30-2020, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Has anyone gone from running just a 1120 to a separate amp for the front 3 channels and surrounds and noticed any improvement in sound quality? Considering something like an Emotiva XPA-5 to running my front 3 and 2 surrounds and then keeping my 4 atmos speakers on the 1120 but if the sound quality is negligible probably not worth it.

Last edited by flyinrazrback; 05-30-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page