Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 36 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13156Likes

post #1051 of 8084 Old 03-22-2016, 06:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroalonso View Post
Interesting about the pop/clipping sound issues. I get a pop sound on occasion when navigating The Apple TV 4. Anyone else have Apple TV 4 and the anthem x20 series? I just ordered new hdmi cables to test that. But now that I see others have pop noises perhaps it's the receiver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have apple TV 4, I use it with my AVM open ,( not passthrough) for music and youtube. No clipping or poping issues

Music can move you "with enough bass"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 8084 Old 03-22-2016, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Thanks. AVM uses different firmware than the x20 lineup right? Anyone have a 720 and see this issue with Apple TV 4?

post #1053 of 8084 Old 03-22-2016, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Finally

I finally got it to work . I manually enter the ip address that i found on the xfinity administrative login . Once I entered the ip address the sub net mask automatically entered . I went to arc 2 software and it found the anthem. Now i can finally calibrate my system. Just doing a few test runs to get use to arc.

Update : I ran arc and completed the calibration process. When I try to upload the arc file to the anthem i get a popup notice saying " Lost connection with system , failed to receive data from target device." I will try again in the morning.

Last edited by HT-Eman; 03-23-2016 at 03:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1054 of 8084 Old 03-23-2016, 04:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
Have you guys contacted Anthem about it? My 50V has a setting for "Muting", Low/Med/High which is supposed to address that, however I couldn't find anything similar in the 60/1120 manual.
post #1055 of 8084 Old 03-23-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Have you guys contacted Anthem about it? My 50V has a setting for "Muting", Low/Med/High which is supposed to address that, however I couldn't find anything similar in the 60/1120 manual.

Re: the pop/clipping issue:
I've not contacted anthem yet about this issue with my 720. I was going to test switching hdmi cables first. Then was going to reach out if it persisted.
What does low muting vs high muting do?

post #1056 of 8084 Old 03-23-2016, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 61
No issues here with any popping of clicking noises at all with any source.
post #1057 of 8084 Old 03-23-2016, 09:19 AM

Anthem new Receiver and Processor support Dolby Atmos and DTS:X

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post

Just read about this muting option on the 50V.
"In the case of digital, a given input can be set to use short, medium, or long muting, this referring to the mute all processors apply while waiting for and locking onto bit streams. This used to be a much more critical feature when things like “DTS CDs” or the inefficient DTS 24/96 were still in circulation, as processors tended to exhibit a significant pop or squeal at the start of the bit stream, but the option to tailor it to each input is still a useful option today because not only does it extend the mute, but also the length of time the processor will stick with a given format (very useful when channel surfing digital TV)."

It does sound like a setting that could help with my pop/clipping issue. It only happens on the sound effect while moving around from app to app before selecting an app on the ATV4. Doesn't happen always but with enough app to app swiping around I can get the pop. The pop happens at the initiation of the sound effect. Pausing for a bit and re-engaging increases the chance of the pop/clip happening.
If swapping my hdmi cable does not do the trick I'll reach out to Anthem and also inquire about this setting.

post #1058 of 8084 Old 03-23-2016, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1650 Post(s)
Liked: 501
DTS Play-fi play lists

Hi folks...does anyone know if u can create playlists in the iOS version of this app? How do you do it? Thanks folks
post #1059 of 8084 Old 03-25-2016, 09:45 AM

Microphone positions !

When looking at the diagram in the arc 2 calibrations for microphone placement , how do you guys look at it ? We all know that position 1 is in the middle , but where do you place position 2 , 3 , 4 , and 5 ? The reason why I asked is because i've seen 2 different videos where one guy placed position 2 to the left front of position 1 ( the middle ). The other video the guy placed position 2 to left rear of position 1 ( the middle ). It all depends on how the person views the diagram but which one is the right way ?
post #1060 of 8084 Old 03-25-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT-Eman View Post
When looking at the diagram in the arc 2 calibrations for microphone placement , how do you guys look at it ? We all know that position 1 is in the middle , but where do you place position 2 , 3 , 4 , and 5 ? The reason why I asked is because i've seen 2 different videos where one guy placed position 2 to the left front of position 1 ( the middle ). The other video the guy placed position 2 to left rear of position 1 ( the middle ). It all depends on how the person views the diagram but which one is the right way ?
I did mine this way MLP then all other listening positions. They are all fairly close together and I use 6 positions. Not saying this is the right way to do it but the way I have done it.
post #1061 of 8084 Old 03-25-2016, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question to you Atmos users out there,

does ARC correct the height speakers? And does it work with two subwoofers?

TIA
post #1062 of 8084 Old 03-25-2016, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 294
ARC does correct all the speakers including the heights. It treats multiple subwoofers as a single unit.
post #1063 of 8084 Old 03-26-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfli44 View Post
I did mine this way MLP then all other listening positions. They are all fairly close together and I use 6 positions. Not saying this is the right way to do it but the way I have done it.
The question i'm asking is after you do the MLP which way do you move your microphone for position 2 ? Is position 2 to the left or right side of the MLP ?
post #1064 of 8084 Old 03-26-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
The question i'm asking is after you do the MLP which way do you move your microphone for position 2 ? Is position 2 to the left or right side of the MLP ?
I got to the right after the MLP.
HT-Eman likes this.
post #1065 of 8084 Old 03-26-2016, 06:14 PM

Anthem new Receiver and Processor support Dolby Atmos and DTS:X

If anyone has an Apple TV 4 and an MRX 720 with 5.1 setup could you test playing a show on Netflix with the volume somewhat on the louder side. I've been using season 1 episode 21 of x files. When I do this I hear a loud sharp clipping sound right at the start. I've got my Apple TV 4 set to auto for both the audio options in settings.

I also get some crackle and less severe pops at the home screen when scrolling over apps. Those seem to be random but the loud clipping noise happens pretty much every time I select a show in Netflix.

I'm going to have my Apple
Tv 4 replaced Monday. I really hope it's the apply tv and not my receiver that has the issue.

post #1066 of 8084 Old 03-27-2016, 08:44 AM

So I've got an MRX1120 on the way, and I'm working on programming my MX880 in anticipation. On my AVM50V you could send an input command immediately on power up and the AVM would switch to that input, does the MRX work the same way? Or do I need to program delays to wait for the MRX to complete startup?
post #1067 of 8084 Old 03-27-2016, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
To answer your question it doesn't matter if you go to the right or the left either way is fine. The MLP is the most important reading. Just make sure the mic is at ear level for the front speakers.

Regards,
HT-Eman likes this.
post #1068 of 8084 Old 03-27-2016, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 383
MRX720 power draw and amp assignment

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on either an MRX720 or the AVM60 but had a couple of questions that hopefully someone can answer:

1. Has anyone measured the power draw of the 720 when used solely as a preamp? If the front 5 amps aren't being used, I'd hate to be burning say 300W with no load.

2. Although full assignment isn't possible, the manual mentions that the amps can be reassigned from 7 to 5.2 or 5 + zone 2. Has anyone confirmed this? I'd probably do assignment to zone 2 and then just use a 4 channel amp for Atmos.

It may turn out to be false economy to go with the 720, but my active speakers and subs only have RCA input and so I gain no advantage today from the balanced output of the AVM60. If only they cut the price rather than offer the free amp/speaker I wouldn't be having this dilemma!

Cheers,
David.
post #1069 of 8084 Old 03-28-2016, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
520 First Impressions

Just received the 520 direct from Anthem and set it up.
Beautiful sound OOTB listening to a CD through the Oppo BluRay player.

[I'm replacing an Emotiva Fusion 8100 that previously blew me away with SQ compared to a mid range Yamaha.
Speakers are Goldenear Triton Two's, Supercenter X, SuperSats for surround in a 5.1 setup.]

Harmony remote didn't work at first and I tried many things. Only thing that worked was learning raw commands. Eventually I upgraded to firmware v0035 and everything started working.

By this time I had not tried any Dolby/DTS sources. When I did, I was surprised to find that I needed to turn up the volume quite a bit more and everything sounded a bit tinny. I went back to the CD and it sounded fine (and lovely) at about -40 level which is comparable to the Emotiva's volume at the half way mark. The Bluray, DVR, AppleTV sources needed to be at -25 and the sound is still significantly 'off' and strained in a way I cannot yet describe in more detail. I was not expecting it to be perfect by any means, but it sounds like something is wrong here. Perhaps a difference between a PCM source vs Dolby/DTS.

Has anyone encountered anything like this with the any of the Anthem receivers?

I have not yet run ARC etc, set distances or levels and do intend to do so. I have reached out to Anthem support as well. But wanted to check here and see if perhaps I have a bad unit, setting, or firmware issue.

Thanks for any pointers.
post #1070 of 8084 Old 03-28-2016, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaajar View Post

[I'm replacing an Emotiva Fusion 8100 that previously blew me away with SQ compared to a mid range Yamaha.
Speakers are Goldenear Triton Two's, Supercenter X, SuperSats for surround in a 5.1 setup.]

Harmony remote didn't work at first and I tried many things. Only thing that worked was learning raw commands. Eventually I upgraded to firmware v0035 and everything started working.

By this time I had not tried any Dolby/DTS sources. When I did, I was surprised to find that I needed to turn up the volume quite a bit more and everything sounded a bit tinny. I went back to the CD and it sounded fine (and lovely) at about -40 level which is comparable to the Emotiva's volume at the half way mark. The Bluray, DVR, AppleTV sources needed to be at -25 and the sound is still significantly 'off' and strained in a way I cannot yet describe in more detail. I was not expecting it to be perfect by any means, but it sounds like something is wrong here. Perhaps a difference between a PCM source vs Dolby/DTS.

I have not yet run ARC etc, set distances or levels and do intend to do so. I have reached out to Anthem support as well. But wanted to check here and see if perhaps I have a bad unit, setting, or firmware issue.

Thanks for any pointers.

before and after arc the typical volumes were similar (but i think i did set distances right away). anything PCM for me is typically -40db, for DD/DTS material it's in the low 30s, high 20s with HD audio.
never felt like my 720 was strained or whatnot.

my speakers sounded good before arc and great after.

hopefully running arc and inputting all settings will help you.

Sony XBR75X850C, Anthem MRX720, KEF R500 (x2), KEF R200C, KEF R100 (x2), JTR Cap 118HT (Echo 18 1400w is a myth)
post #1071 of 8084 Old 03-28-2016, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1650 Post(s)
Liked: 501
Quote:

Thanks for any pointers.
On my 1120 I listen to movies at around minus 22 and that's with an Anthem MCA 30 external amp...different movies are recorded at different levels...watched Bridge of Spies last night at minus 17!
post #1072 of 8084 Old 03-28-2016, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Thanks for any pointers.
I have a 720 and these are my typical listening levels. I also have to turn it up a bit more when listening to HD audio.

Everyday Cable TV (DD 5.1): -30 to -45
Spotify Connect (Premium high-res audio): -20 to -35
HD audio: -12 to -20

I have MA Silver 8 towers and silver centre and sit about 12 feet away from the TV.

You should definitely set your distances and run ARC but it's not going to make it seem "louder" all of a sudden.

By the way running your Anthem at -25 is not putting any strain on it at all.
post #1073 of 8084 Old 03-28-2016, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the responses. It helps to get the perspective from all of you. One of my concerns was indeed the question of 'headroom'. The other was the reason for the volume difference between audio formats. This was not what I experienced with Emotiva or the Yamaha before that.
post #1074 of 8084 Old 03-28-2016, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 233
When i was using my mrx 720 with external amps i had the volume slightly higher to get the same level as with my marantz. I think it may just be from the arc settings. I like it loud and will typically watch movies at around -12

Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 Yamaha CX-A5200 Gemstone 200x7 Emotiva upa-500 amps
Oppo 103 panasonic ub820 Ultra HD Blu-ray Jvc RS520 projector
silver ticket 125 2.35 screen Golden Ear Triton 5 L&R
super center XXL triton 7's sides Emotiva T1 rears
4 RSL C34 in ceiling SVS PB2-plus sub SVS PC13 ultra sub
post #1075 of 8084 Old 03-28-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. It helps to get the perspective from all of you. One of my concerns was indeed the question of 'headroom'. The other was the reason for the volume difference between audio formats. This was not what I experienced with Emotiva or the Yamaha before that.
In theory....

Movies, are mastered to defined specs, 105dB peak level (115dB peak for the LFE channel). Dolby defines the "normal" level for dialog to be -31dB via their "Dialnorm" metadata, most movies I've noticed seem to be set at -27dB (my AVM50V would report -4dB Dialnorm when it locks on to most Dolby sources). Movies are mastered to have a large dynamic range from the normal/nominal dialog level to the effects:
http://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_...on-6-2000.html

In stark contrast, most music these days is mastered for almost no dynamic range, it's mastered to sound as loud as possible all the time, specifically on the radio but this convention has infected CDs as well.
http://dynamicrangeday.co.uk/about/

So it's not surprising that CDs are much louder than movies.
post #1076 of 8084 Old 03-29-2016, 07:29 AM

I did further experiments and listening last night.

I can now report that the CD vs BluRay volume difference may not be as big as I initially thought. I've not done measurements with an SPL meter, however, to my ears they sounded equally loud. CD volume was between -30 and -25, BluRay volume was between -27 and -24. I think I have a preference for listening to movies louder. Also stanger89's comments provide the perspective on dynamic range between the two.

I played Lord of the Rings - Fellowship, especially the Morya scene, and I found it to be satisfyingly loud with plenty of 'headroom' (no clipping/distortion). I also listened to David Chesky's sampler CD, Christian McBride and a few other goto favorites and they all sounded quite good. I do perceive a slightly bloated mid bass and a few attenuated frequencies around 1K (pure guess). The sound signature is different from Emotiva - perhaps more expansive in a way that appeared to fill the room. This is likely what caused me previously to comment on the sound being strained and tinny. The sound is definitely neither strained nor tinny.

The only change I made was to increase my surround crossover to 120Hz and put in speaker distances. No ARC yet.

There IS however, a difference of about 5db with a DVR source playing Dolby Digital at around -20. I need to do further testing with AppleTV and determine if this is an aspect of the format or the source.

Last edited by gaajar; 03-29-2016 at 08:09 AM.
post #1077 of 8084 Old 03-29-2016, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Finally off the fence!

It feels good to just be thinking about receiving the unit now, rather than second guessing every little thing. My dealer should have tracking for my MRX-1120 tomorrow, for delivery next week
post #1078 of 8084 Old 03-30-2016, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
It feels good to just be thinking about receiving the unit now, rather than second guessing every little thing. My dealer should have tracking for my MRX-1120 tomorrow, for delivery next week
You will be a very happy camper! Congrats! What speakers are you using with it?
post #1079 of 8084 Old 03-30-2016, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post
You will be a very happy camper! Congrats! What speakers are you using with it?
I'm going to be using a very heterogeneous system. My current system is a Meridian G68 processor with Meridian DSP speakers for my LCR and then analog actives (all Meridian, M33) for the side and rear surrounds, but Meridian have not announced an Atmos upgrade yet and even when they do I'm a buyer in the used market there due to price and so it would be years till I could upgrade. So like some others, I'm going to feed the Meridian's 5.1 in with the LCR preouts from the Anthem and set the Meridian to effectively bypass mode (zero delays - the Meridian has a fixed latency of 8ms without any other adjustments so quite low - and unity gain) like the HT bypass mode many stereo pre/integrated have. The subs and actives will connect directly to the Anthem. My ceiling speakers and patio will then be powered from the Anthem's amps, set to 5.2.4 + zone 2 mode (for a combined 7.2.4 system + patio zone 2). In future I may use the Anthem's main amps, but for now they will be dormant.

BTW I had planned on a MRX720 + an external amp (like an Outlaw 7125) but the opportunity for an 1120 helps reduce box count.

Forgot to mention, for ceiling speakers I'm planning on Kef Ci160QS or Ci200QS.

Last edited by dlinsley; 03-30-2016 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Added speaker types
post #1080 of 8084 Old 03-30-2016, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Initially, the MXR 1120 piqued my interest with its 11 internal channels and ARC. Then I started thinking about the 720 because I would be moving from a Denon 4311 simply for immersive audio and updated HDMI2.0a/HDCP2.2 video. I could use a combination of the 720 amps with the 4311 amps for 7.1.4 audio. This saves me $1k over the 1120 which pays for the rear heights.

I never combined two AVRs in this manner. Does anyone know how to match and then manage the volume in this type of setup?

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-105, ANTHEM MRX-1120, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 4.
MartinLogan speakers and subs. M/ASlim5 Rack, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast/C6 meter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page