Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13153Likes

post #1111 of 8067 Old 04-04-2016, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
When you have blinking every couple of seconds it is an HDCP issue. It can be caused by a number of things including if the source has enough keys. Every source has a number of keys between 1-128. A key is the number of displays or devices that can be downstream of the source. Some cable boxes only have one key because they don't want you to split the signal to multiple TVs forcing you to get a cable box for every display. I think most of the PS4 units that I have seen have 16 keys so this shouldn't be the problem.

When you connect two displays, both displays have to authenticate with the source. My guess is the PS4 is not liking the different capabilities of each display. Theoretically, it should default to the greatest common settings between the two displays. Connect just one display and set the PS4 settings manually. Take off auto on many of the selections for video. Set range to limited (proper for video) not full (proper for PC). Turn off deep color. Turn off 24 frames per second. Try many of these and see if they work with booth displays.

Thanks Ellebob. I didn't clarify but I'm actually connecting to be same display. I'm using an HDMI for movies and the other HDMI is a specific port for low latency gaming via consoles/pc.

I'll check the settings for the video output. Most I left as 'auto' but I'll play with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 8067 Old 04-04-2016, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post

1. Has anyone measured the power draw of the 720 when used solely as a preamp? If the front 5 amps aren't being used, I'd hate to be burning say 300W with no load.
I have a 520, at idle it draws 140W. I imagine the 720 would be ever so slightly more.
post #1113 of 8067 Old 04-05-2016, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by lairpost View Post
I have a 520, at idle it draws 140W. I imagine the 720 would be ever so slightly more.
Thanks! I actually ended up ordering an 1120, that I pick up from my dealer later today, so it will be interesting to plug into my kill-a-watt. The AVM60 is rated as 60W active, so the amps in the 520 are burning quite a lot of quiescent current it would seem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1114 of 8067 Old 04-05-2016, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post
Half the story is missing here and everything would have gone a lot more smoothly if your dealer was local and/or had contacted tech support prior to appearing, unit in hand, at our parts and service dept which does not have the role of exchanging units.
Thanks [email protected] for clarifying as this makes sense of the events. This is a prime example of how problems and delays arise by not following procedures.

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-105, ANTHEM MRX-1120, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 4.
MartinLogan speakers and subs. M/ASlim5 Rack, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast/C6 meter.
post #1115 of 8067 Old 04-05-2016, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
Thanks! I actually ended up ordering an 1120, that I pick up from my dealer later today, so it will be interesting to plug into my kill-a-watt. The AVM60 is rated as 60W active, so the amps in the 520 are burning quite a lot of quiescent current it would seem.
I don't mind burning ~60W to use it as a pre-pro to drive my Outlaw 755 (90lbs. 5x200w monster that burns 300W at idle, made by ATI circa 2001) that I arguably rarely get into db levels that 'require' it but it sure it nice to have for those high res dynamics!

Enjoy the 1120, my 520 fully setup/fine tuned with ARC it sounds amazing!
post #1116 of 8067 Old 04-05-2016, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I ran arc and it set my sunwoofer at +11. Is it because my subwoofer volume level is to low. I have a Hsu vtf 3 mk5 at the 9:00 oclock position on the volume knob. My sub is in the second best spot that i can place it according to the quick measure .
post #1117 of 8067 Old 04-05-2016, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT-Eman View Post
I ran arc and it set my sunwoofer at +11. Is it because my subwoofer volume level is to low. I have a Hsu vtf 3 mk5 at the 9:00 oclock position on the volume knob. My sub is in the second best spot that i can place it according to the quick measure .
Trying moving it closer to 12 o'clock position then and see what ARC does. I'd be worried leaving it at +11 and someone accidentally turning the knob on the back of the sub.
post #1118 of 8067 Old 04-05-2016, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
Or better yet, if you've got an SPL meter, go the Level Calibration section, make sure your sub is set to 0dB, turn on the test "Noise", and select your sub. Then adjust the knob on your sub until it reads 75dB at your listening position.
HT-Eman likes this.
post #1119 of 8067 Old 04-05-2016, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelahi View Post
Trying moving it closer to 12 o'clock position then and see what ARC does. I'd be worried leaving it at +11 and someone accidentally turning the knob on the back of the sub.
Hello,
Always set your sub to 12:00. and crossover at highest setting.
maxfli44 likes this.
post #1120 of 8067 Old 04-05-2016, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Not for Hsu subs. The 9:00 - 10:00 position is like the 12:00 position for others subs. When I had a svs sub , the recommended position was 12:00. The noon position for a Hsu sub is way to high. I will try the spl meter way and see what I end up with. Thank you all for responding.
If you set you volume to 12:00 like others have suggested and let ARC do its thing you will be just fine, it won't be louder than anyone else's at that setting. Your HSU isn't magically louder at 9 than anyone else's at 12 with ARC run. That is what ARC does sets the volume across the board. That is why it has set your setting to +11 to compensate for the 9 setting.
HT-Eman likes this.
post #1121 of 8067 Old 04-05-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfli44 View Post
If you set you volume to 12:00 like others have suggested and let ARC do its thing you will be just fine, it won't be louder than anyone else's at that setting. Your HSU isn't magically louder at 9 than anyone else's at 12 with ARC run. That is what ARC does sets the volume across the board. That is why it has set your setting to +11 to compensate for the 9 setting.
Ok , got it .
post #1122 of 8067 Old 04-05-2016, 09:20 PM

Meet the next Anthem MRX-1120 owner

The MRX-1120 replaces a 2010 Denon 4311ci 9-channel AVR. First impressions are good packaging, well organized back panel, clean display, and simple remote. I wanted to hear the amp as-is so I made the connections, balanced the channels with a SPL meter, and auditioned several well known Atmos scenes and music tracks.

Immediately I noticed the uncalibrated highs, not harsh, but I will definitely be calibrating. The 1120 has much more punch than my old Denon. Uncalibrated music sounds decent, but I hear gaps in Atmos scenes. It's likely the bass management crossovers.

Well, I like what I hear so far, now to explore the functionality. The manual suggests wired Ethernet for the network because the 1120 is in my metal equipment rack. I cross my fingers and plug in the network cable...ip address populates automatically, nice. I then installed the latest firmware and downloaded ARC2.

Setting up the stand and mic is straightforward. I plug in the mic to the laptop and start ARC2 for a quick calibration. Oops, need mic calibration file, hmm. I can't remember how, but I downloaded the mic cal file and started a 5 point calibration. At this point I'm not concerned over a dead nuts calibration as I only want to get a feel for how ARC works.

Surprisingly, the calibration did not take long and the file uploaded to the 1120 as expected. The results were interesting and unexpected. Audyssey would set the FLR to 40, C to 60 and the surrounds at 80, then I would reset all crossovers to 80Hz. ARC set FLR to 80, C to 110, and all surrounds to 100Hz. It may have to do with mic positioning, but for now I will use the results.

Revisiting the same scenes and tracks, I must say I am impressed with the calibration. The plane engines and various gun calibers rang true in Unbroken. Everything sounded authentic, balanced. Dialog is clear and natural. The Insurgent scene where Tris attacks Janine is more detail than I ever heard before. The opening scene in Mad Max Fury Road is realistic from the engines to the dirt.

The unique way ARC does bass management is so different than Audyssey. I expected more bass, but what I got is bigger, natural sound. I am looking forward to really dialing in ARC in the coming days.
countryWV likes this.

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-105, ANTHEM MRX-1120, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 4.
post #1123 of 8067 Old 04-05-2016, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 845
Nice write up @bigdogaxis

I only had a couple of hours with the replacement 1120 and it was a MUCH better experience. OK. That is a lie. The original 1120 was amazing minus the "popping" sound when changing inputs and the really loud "CLICK" when powering down, but the replacement doesn't have those issues.

I too experienced sort of what you did. It has a definitely different sound that the Audyssey on my previous Onkyo. I actually liked the "pre-ARC" version of the sound too, but post-ARC it was, as you mentioned a much more finely tuned experience. Atmos demo material was super smooth throughout the listening space.

One difference for me is that it set all 11 speakers to 80Hz, where Audessey would set the front L/C/R to 40Hz, and the surrounds to 60Hz (no overheads at the time), so I was concerned about LFE and low end punch, but it really wasn't lacking at all. I could still get a tactile feeling in my seats without having the sound cranked up and without my bass-shakers turned on... NICE!

Like I said, the setup went smoothly, but I did notice one thing that I need to look closer at.... It set all of the speakers to 12 feet away. While this would be pretty close for the front 3, the side surrounds would be closer to 7 feet, the rear surrounds about 10 feet, and the overheads somewhere between 5 and 9 feet away depending on the mic positioning.

I will have to look into that. There are 2 trains of thought with distance settings. 1) Ignore what the system comes up with and manually enter them because they must be wrong, or 2) assume that they are correct from what the system/mic picked up from an acoustical perspective. ("just because they are X feet away, doesn't mean that the mic doesn't hear them as Y feet away acoustically")

Those both assume that the system even tried to get distance measurements. I don't know what the factory default distance is, so I don't know if it measured/calculated 12 feet for everything (odd), or just didn't change them at all.

But, after just an hour to 90 minutes of setup, calibration, and a bit of testing, I had to quit for the night (last night) and now I am out of town for work... Can't wait to get home in a couple of days and try some more material. Unfortunately, my media server also crapped a hard-drive, so I will also need to get that at least repairing the RAID 5 drive before I really get time to play with the receiver. Good thing that I have discs too.
post #1124 of 8067 Old 04-05-2016, 10:31 PM

The default speaker distance is 12 feet. I manually entered Audyssey distance rather than physical just because I remember them and didn't have a tape measure with me. I will read up on ARC and try to better understand how to use the tool. Sucks about your hard drive :/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
nickbuol and soren like this.

post #1125 of 8067 Old 04-06-2016, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Use ARC Quick meassurement , select sub then run and increase sub volume level until the SPL profile average reach 75 db.

Sugget evrybody try different sub room gain in ARC target setting, sounds much difference by room gain from 0db to +3 db.
HT-Eman likes this.

MyAv [email protected]
Anthem AVM60/QSC DCA 1644*3/BDP-S780/Viewsonic pro8200/Klipsch UltraII/Rythmik FV15HP

Last edited by Edward Chen; 04-06-2016 at 02:53 AM.
post #1126 of 8067 Old 04-06-2016, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogaxis View Post
The default speaker distance is 12 feet. I manually entered Audyssey distance rather than physical just because I remember them and didn't have a tape measure with me. I will read up on ARC and try to better understand how to use the tool. Sucks about your hard drive :/

@nickbuol and bigdogaxis , arc doesn't measure distance. You have to manually measure and enter it in the avr .
bigdogaxis likes this.
post #1127 of 8067 Old 04-06-2016, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@nickbuol and bigdogaxis , arc doesn't measure distance. You have to manually measure and enter it in the avr .
Thanks for the tip... It does seem a bit archaic to have to enter them manually when even cheap receivers have been doing the distance calculations for at least a decade and a half, but again, there is that debate I mentioned above about how accurate those were anyway. Won't take but 3-5 minutes to measure them and put them in manually, so not a big deal...

Thanks again for letting me (us) know.
bigdogaxis and HT-Eman like this.
post #1128 of 8067 Old 04-06-2016, 08:00 AM

I found some good information on ARC from an interview of Dr. Peter Schuck and Nick Platsis (@[email protected] I presume): https://www.audioholics.com/room-aco...m-eq-interview

This quote by Nick applies to a 50Hz problem null in my room:
Audioholics: Does ARC utilize multi-point measurements? Why or why not? If so, how many measurement points are available?
Nick Platsis: The default is five measurement positions though for large listening areas up to ten may be used. Response changes considerably even when changing position by as little as the distance when moving one's head side to side, therefore multiple mic positions are always needed. At bass frequencies, multiple positions also prevent peaks and nulls at any one position from becoming the basis for all correction in the range or for determining crossover frequency.
I have two subs, so I will use the quick measure to see about minimizing the 50Hz null for a smoother bass response.
nickbuol and HT-Eman like this.

post #1129 of 8067 Old 04-06-2016, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglist1319 View Post
I recently purchased the MRX-520. Love the sound but I'm having a bit of an issue with the video outputs and hoping someone may help me here.

Current setup/plan:
  • I'd like to send the PS4 bluray signal output signal to the TV (corresponding TV input has optimal picture settings for video). I'd like to use my PS4 as my blu-ray player until I purchase an UHD player (timing depends on how the Panasonic looks or when Oppo releases their player).
  • Multiple gaming consoles are plugged into the MRX.
  • When gaming I'd like to use the MRX to switch between the sources and use the second HDMI output from the MRX to the low latency input of the TV.

I have this all set up but when I use the PS4 to watch blu rays the signal flickers on and off every 2 seconds. When I unplug the second output then the flickering stops.

I contacted Anthem support and tried using an HDMI to HDMI connector on the second output without any luck. I sent a follow-up but figured I'd check here since it's probably something simple I'm overlooking. This is the first AVR I'm using that had dual HDMI outputs so it's possible that it just isn't designed to be used in this way.

Thanks for any help.
Please tell me OPPO isn't coming out with a new unit .... I just bought the 105D ...... And it's on it way here .....

Video: Sony - Bravia KDL-60EX700 LCD
AVR: Anthem - MRX720
Speakers: JM Labs - Electra 915.1 (FL/FR), Polk Audio - CS10 Center, 2 PSW505 Subs, Definitive Technologies - BP-8 (RL/RR)
Other Components: OPPO - 105D, HA-2, Sony - Playstation 4, Nintendo - WII U
post #1130 of 8067 Old 04-06-2016, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
It's assumed/expected they'll have an UltraHD Blu-ray player this year.
post #1131 of 8067 Old 04-06-2016, 12:11 PM

I believe OPPO has a 30 day return policy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #1132 of 8067 Old 04-06-2016, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy Steve View Post
Please tell me OPPO isn't coming out with a new unit .... I just bought the 105D ...... And it's on it way here .....
I believe they confirmed a UHD player but it's not expected until late this year.
post #1133 of 8067 Old 04-07-2016, 05:09 AM

Post 27925 in the OPPO BDP-93 Owners Forum is by Jim Shaw about OPPO's response to a new player release:

[Quote:]
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
You can at least call OPPO. They'll almost certainly give you faster, better, more on point feedback about what you're experiencing.

And where did you hear that OPPO's 4k players will debut in "6 months or so"? I think a year to 18 months is more realistic.
---
Yes, I agree. Calling Oppo would be the best thing to do BUT that will be on Monday and I have two days to go without watching a movie. I was hoping someone had an easy fix for now. If not, I'll plug in a cheap Blu to get me by until Monday.

Regarding Oppo taking 18 months:

I asked Oppo if they were going to be at CES because if they were going to introduce their 4K player, I wanted to go.

Here is their response:

------------------------------

Jim,

We will be attending CES but not exhibiting at CES. We plan on having a new player released sometime in mid-to-late 2016, however, that will meet the new UHD specifications.

Best Regards,
Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
[email protected]
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119
[/end quote]

post #1134 of 8067 Old 04-07-2016, 04:29 PM

Anyone experiencing lip-sync issues? I had to adjust SW:Force Awakens to 40ms. The chain is OPPO 105 to MRX-1120 to JVC RS-55 projector.

post #1135 of 8067 Old 04-07-2016, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post
Thanks for the tip... It does seem a bit archaic to have to enter them manually when even cheap receivers have been doing the distance calculations for at least a decade and a half, but again, there is that debate I mentioned above about how accurate those were anyway. Won't take but 3-5 minutes to measure them and put them in manually, so not a big deal...

Thanks again for letting me (us) know.

The reason ARC doesn't set distances is because it can't. Since the ARC measurements are being taken via USB on a computer and since there is no way to determine the USB bus delays in every model of PCs out there, Anthem requires the user to manually enter the distances. This is also why it doesn't set Phase.
Or at least, that's what I've been told.
Would love [email protected] to jump in here and confirm/deny this.

Raj
post #1136 of 8067 Old 04-07-2016, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdawar View Post
The reason ARC doesn't set distances is because it can't. Since the ARC measurements are being taken via USB on a computer and since there is no way to determine the USB bus delays in every model of PCs out there, Anthem requires the user to manually enter the distances. This is also why it doesn't set Phase.
Makes sense. Only control what you can control, and since that isn't the computer used, or even potentially the USB cable, I can see why it isn't set. Many of those other tools were hit or miss on accuracy anyway. It would be interesting to know though... just for curiosity sake.
post #1137 of 8067 Old 04-09-2016, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajdawar View Post
Guess it is more about variance of USB bus delay on various PC setups, rather than on amount of delay.
I.e. a fixed delay can be measured and taken in account by sw, a variable one would give wrong values.

Last edited by ebr9999; 04-10-2016 at 10:15 AM.
post #1138 of 8067 Old 04-10-2016, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hi Nick @ Anthem, im from Singapore and contacted my local dealer here and asked about price & availability of Anthem Mrx1120, he told me that Anthem Mrx1120 actually failed a safety test and thus is not available for sale in Singapore YET?? May i know is this indeed true?? What was the issue and when will it be sorted and be made available in Singapore. Hoping for a response from you. Thank you.
post #1139 of 8067 Old 04-10-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampsy View Post
Hi Nick @ Anthem, im from Singapore and contacted my local dealer here and asked about price & availability of Anthem Mrx1120, he told me that Anthem Mrx1120 actually failed a safety test and thus is not available for sale in Singapore YET?? May i know is this indeed true?? What was the issue and when will it be sorted and be made available in Singapore. Hoping for a response from you. Thank you.
BLASPHEMY! I am joking. FWIW my 1120 is perfect. I hope you are able to procure one as it is simply the best audio experience I have had to date.
lampsy likes this.

post #1140 of 8067 Old 04-10-2016, 10:12 AM

ARC2 Experiment
Audyssey and a SPL meter were my only previous experiences with room correction. Over the years, Audyssey frustrated me with various issues. I got to the point where I used a very small pattern at the MLP to improve sound stage and imaging which satisfied me for movies, but music was still bland. Ultimately, I used RCA stereo outs from the OPPO 105 to CD in for music and RCA 7.1 outs to 7.1 EXT. IN and put the Denon 4311 in Pure Direct mode. Finally, I achieved the sound I wanted, but at a price: no PLIIz heights.

Hearing Atmos tracks in 7.1 was quite amazing. The surround back channels were active and there were instances of intoxicatingly immersive audio. This lead me to the MRX-1120 as I had my HT pre-wired for 11.2 (heights, wides, 2 subs) so a 7.1.2 was an easy transition. I chose the 1120 for the 11 internal amps, 2 sub outputs, ARC, and a solid reputation. I am very happy with my choice.

The intent of this post is to share my Anthem Room Correction (ARC) trials. My Audyssey experience caused me to measure ARC in a concentrated area, about 8" less than the 2' minimum Anthem suggests. The resulting sound was much better than Audyssey as I suspected it would: different mic and room correction method proved different output. The bass definitely is more powerful. As I researched ARC, I learned my concentred mic positioning was limiting the effectiveness of ARC.

Currently, I do not have room treatments other than carpet and blankets to cover the leather chairs. My walls and ceiling are sheet rock with orange peel texture. So I need to adjust speaker and listening position to address the nulls until I research treatments. I could easily see nulls and peaks from my first calibration. Quick Measure (QM) is a valuable tool. My goal was to use QM to bring the peaks closer to the nulls to help ARC with correction. QM allowed me to "EQ" each sub, then dial them in as an unit. It also showed me moving my ML Source fronts out to about 1 meter from the back wall for best response.

Upon dialing in the 20Hz - 120Hz range, I decided to follow Anthem's mic position instructions, placing the mic in each of my six seats. The result was much different crossover settings and improved bass, sound stage, and imaging - IN EVERY CHAIR! The Eagles Farewell Tour I in Melbourne is my favorite concert video. I've watched it for years and am quite familiar with it. There were multiple instances where I heard "new" details: percussion and horn section. I knew they were there visually, just not audibly. Timothy B. Schmidt's bass playing is much more complex than than I heard before. I could discern each guitar not just visually, but by tonally. As a guitarist, I appreciate the fact every guitar has its own tone and is manipulated by the player. Additionally, I could now pick out individual voices as they harmonized each chorus.

Look at all the wonderful things I am hearing now thanks to ARC. I do not know anything about the room measurement, changing target curves or the other advanced options found in ARC, but it seems as though I can adjust these in the ARC file and save it as a different file for experimentation purposes while keeping the "good" file. At this point, I don't think I will unless I can find additional information on these tools. Until then, I look forward to treating my room and find what else I am not hearing.
countryWV likes this.

Last edited by bigdogaxis; 04-10-2016 at 11:24 AM. Reason: sp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page