Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 47 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13148Likes

post #1381 of 8039 Old 05-20-2016, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcupka View Post
Anyone else out there still having network connectivity issues? I've read most of the posts on the subject and have tried everything. Currently , I have beta FW 45 and cannot connect in any way. I've powered router/MRX-720 on off, reset everything.....tried Play Fi, manual wireless and Ethernet connections and always get an IP address of 000.000.000.000 BTW, my router is a Actiontec /Verizon FIOS.

I really enjoy the sound of the Anthem but one of the main reasons for buying it was ARC2. Every other device we have on our network integrates seamlessly.
I know little about this topic but I was recently having network issues. I bought an 8-port Netgear switch and have been making my own ethernet cables for all of my stuff but was having inconsistencies with everything working. My problem came down to mixing cross-over cables with straight-thru cables within the same system. The ethernet cables I was making were straight-thru (T-568A or T-568B on both ends). The cable that came with my 1120 was a cross-over cable (T-568A on one end and T-568B on the other). I also found another cross-over cable in my system. Replaced both of those with my straight-thrus and everything works now. Again, I don't know much about this and it may not make sense for anyone who understands electrical better but it worked for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 8039 Old 05-20-2016, 10:06 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgallagh View Post
I know little about this topic but I was recently having network issues. I bought an 8-port Netgear switch and have been making my own ethernet cables for all of my stuff but was having inconsistencies with everything working. My problem came down to mixing cross-over cables with straight-thru cables within the same system. The ethernet cables I was making were straight-thru (T-568A or T-568B on both ends). The cable that came with my 1120 was a cross-over cable (T-568A on one end and T-568B on the other). I also found another cross-over cable in my system. Replaced both of those with my straight-thrus and everything works now. Again, I don't know much about this and it may not make sense for anyone who understands electrical better but it worked for me.
Interesting...I have not used the Anthem supplied network cable as I already had a good cable in my rack. No troubles to date with my connectivity.

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-105, ANTHEM MRX-1120, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 4.
MartinLogan speakers and subs. M/ASlim5 Rack, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast/C6 meter.
post #1383 of 8039 Old 05-20-2016, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Got my MRX 720 set up. After a speed bump in getting on my network and calls to Anthem I got it done. The support was great and the unit blows my HK AVR3700 away.

Looking forward to years of great use. Anyone know a code that works with TiVo remote? the only one TiVo has is 1004 which does not work.
nickbuol likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1384 of 8039 Old 05-21-2016, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

CEC is not turning the unit off/on. I have all enabled & was using the TV (Sharp) to turn off the Harman.

I read the manual, it said to r&r the HDMI cable which I have done several times.

Any input gratefully accepted.
soren likes this.
post #1385 of 8039 Old 05-26-2016, 03:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Any new info on the dts-x firmware upgrade ?
post #1386 of 8039 Old 05-26-2016, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT-Eman View Post
Any new info on the dts-x firmware upgrade ?
(Waiting for the "sometime in summer" response.)
post #1387 of 8039 Old 05-26-2016, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's sometime in summer!

lol

They sent me 046 last week when I couldn't get on my network, it was 044 on the site. I tried Deus EX Machina but did not get DSX-X on the display.
post #1388 of 8039 Old 05-26-2016, 08:29 PM

IIRC, it is the chip manufacturer and DTS working on coding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-105, ANTHEM MRX-1120, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 4.
post #1389 of 8039 Old 05-26-2016, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I only have a 5.2 system currently so the Atmos & DTS X are not that big of a deal. I have a 14+ foot open ceiling so doing the height speakers are going to be challenging.
post #1390 of 8039 Old 05-26-2016, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 845
I would rather wait and have a good DTS:X experience than rush it to get it sooner and have issues like some other equipment manufacturers did, plus there aren't many worthwhile DTS:X titles yet... Although I hear that the DTS Neural:X upmixer is really REALLY good that comes with the DTS:X firmware.
bigdogaxis likes this.
post #1391 of 8039 Old 05-27-2016, 07:54 AM

I agree, DTS titles sound very good through the DSU anyway. I don't feel I'm missing out...yet lol

post #1392 of 8039 Old 05-29-2016, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 64
No sound with Dolby Volume

I don't know if its suppose to be like this but when I have Dolby Volume turned on there is no sound coming from the TF/TR speakers. I was watching 13 hours secret soldiers of benghazi the other day and noticed that the sound could've been better . Better meaning that I thought the use of atmos effects wasn't good with all the gun fights and rpgs. Well come to find out that my ceiling atmos speakers was turned off because I had Dolby Volume turned on. So I turned it off and now everything sounds better. I can hear bullets zip pass , shell droppings , and whever else the mixer used for objects.
vodil likes this.
post #1393 of 8039 Old 05-29-2016, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Dolby Volume may be the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludeboy12 View Post
Sorry if its been posted but I've searched and haven't quite found anything. Might not be using the right terms.

Anyways. I have an 1120 here and I finally got around to adding some surrounds to my 5.1.2 setup. When I turn on the surrounds in the settings I no longer get any sound out of the height channels. Obviously they work again as soon as I turn off surrounds. Am I doing something wrong here? What am I missing??

Thanks
I just spent a day trying to figure out why I could not get any sound out of my 4 height speakers. I was using the test tone to make sure I had the wiring right etc. on my new 1120 and nothing was coming out of the heights. I switched around speakers and wires to be sure it was the AVR.

Long and the short of it is..if Dolby Volume was turned on for the input it was on before I went into setup, no test sound. Once I turned Dolby Volume off....perfecto!

Now I would like to use Dolby Volume but not if it shuts off the height speakers.
post #1394 of 8039 Old 05-29-2016, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Network squirrelyness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcupka View Post
Anyone else out there still having network connectivity issues? I've read most of the posts on the subject and have tried everything. Currently , I have beta FW 45 and cannot connect in any way. I've powered router/MRX-720 on off, reset everything.....tried Play Fi, manual wireless and Ethernet connections and always get an IP address of 000.000.000.000 BTW, my router is a Actiontec /Verizon FIOS.

I really enjoy the sound of the Anthem but one of the main reasons for buying it was ARC2. Every other device we have on our network integrates seamlessly.
I had some network weirdness when I first got it running. It would not connect right away, but I rebooted it twice sandwiched between a router reboot and it started working fine. If that did not work I was going to give it a fixed IP, but I didn't have to.
post #1395 of 8039 Old 05-30-2016, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2384
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT-Eman View Post
I don't know if its suppose to be like this but when I have Dolby Volume turned on there is no sound coming from the TF/TR speakers. I was watching 13 hours secret soldiers of benghazi the other day and noticed that the sound could've been better . Better meaning that I thought the use of atmos effects wasn't good with all the gun fights and rpgs. Well come to find out that my ceiling atmos speakers was turned off because I had Dolby Volume turned on. So I turned it off and now everything sounds better. I can hear bullets zip pass , shell droppings , and whever else the mixer used for objects.
Dolby Volume doesn't support heights yet (IIRC this is a limitation of the Dolby software, not the Anthem).
post #1396 of 8039 Old 06-02-2016, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 51
does anyone get a weird pop sometimes when first starting a show. i get a loud pop on certain shows/movies when using plex.

it's not too bad as things are fine after the initial pop but sometimes it's a bit much to hear when the volume is turned up.
post #1397 of 8039 Old 06-03-2016, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Replaced my Sharp, got a Sony XBR75X910C and now not only does turning off the TV turn off the 720 but volume on my TiVo remote controls the receiver volume.
post #1398 of 8039 Old 06-03-2016, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfungus View Post
does anyone get a weird pop sometimes when first starting a show. i get a loud pop on certain shows/movies when using plex.

it's not too bad as things are fine after the initial pop but sometimes it's a bit much to hear when the volume is turned up.

Yes. I do! I use an apple tv4 and get pops all the time before playing a video in Netflix, infuse etc... Depending on the volume that is set on the receiver it can be very loud. I've reported it to anthem support. Recorded the issue happening on video so they could hear it too. I'd recommend submitting this issue to support so they can have on record more people experiencing this issue. They believe it's do to the pause length when changing from for example two channels to 5.1.
They are supposedly working on it. But no fix yet.
This audio delay setting is configurable in some of anthems other receivers. Not the MRX series though. I hope they are considering adding this setting.

post #1399 of 8039 Old 06-04-2016, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello
I just ordered a avr1120 anthem and wanted to know for what or who listen to what he thinks and compare brands like Denon has onkyo yamaha pioneer is this really the top in terms of sound quality decoding and thank you
post #1400 of 8039 Old 06-04-2016, 10:33 AM

I have the old Denon flagship 4311 with Audyssey XT32. Once I auditioned the Anthem MRX-1120 with ARC engaged there was no question in my mind: the ARC provides better room correction than Audyssey. Big, full, powerful sound is what I wanted and what I got. The only complaint I have with the 1120 in my rig is lip sync. That said, I am still on FW v35 and it is not a big enough problem for me to mess with FW update until DTS:X is added.

nickbuol likes this.

post #1401 of 8039 Old 06-04-2016, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bylly View Post
Hello
I just ordered a avr1120 anthem and wanted to know for what or who listen to what he thinks and compare brands like Denon has onkyo yamaha pioneer is this really the top in terms of sound quality decoding and thank you
My Anthem MRX 1120 blows the socks off my old Onkyo 805, in relation to sound quality. Even my cheapo BIC of American speakers sound so much better now. For my Atmos channels, I'm currently using my front pair of KEF R50 up firing speakers, which are the best Atmos speakers to date. These puppies are extremely expensive, but worth every penny. As for non Atmos move sound tracks, the movies sound even better now and bring a whole new dimension to all my older Blu-Ray movies.

At least for myself, I consider the Anthem MRX-1120 one of the best AVR receivers on the market.

Thanks,
Randy
post #1402 of 8039 Old 06-04-2016, 12:18 PM

thank you for this information.
other reviews
post #1403 of 8039 Old 06-04-2016, 05:41 PM

Liked: 10
New 720 Setup Help

All,

Thank you to those who have already posted. Learned a lot already. I have having a few issues that seem simple, but have not found the solution yet, so any help this weekend before I can call tech support would be greatly appreciated.

1. System Update - The out-of-the-box version is 0.0.030. I have downloaded the current version (00044 2016 4 11) and copied the .fw file to the root directory of a USB drive and connected it to the BACK of the 720 and selected Update Via USB from the System Information Menu. It then displays "Checking for update..." then displays "No update found." What am I doing wrong?

2. Music Speaker Setup – I successfully created “Config 1 Speaker Profile” for 5.1 home theater. If I want to optimize music for 2 channel configuration in the same room, is the appropriate approach to go back into arc and create “Config 2 Speaker Profile” selecting the front two speakers and sub and then associate that profile when playing music? Is there anything else I should do to optimize two channel listening?

3. Zone 2 Speaker Setup – Similar to the above question, if I want to optimize 2 channel music in zone 2, do I repeat the process again in my second room and save it as Config 3?

4. Music Streaming - What is the best way to stream high quality music? I downloaded the Play-Fi iOS app and have connected to the receiver. First, based on prior posts and my own experience, it seems like the music is being streamed over my wireless phone connection as it cuts off if I turn off my phone wi-fi. Wouldn’t it be better to be hard wired and just control it from my phone? Of the streaming services, what provider provides the best quality? “Internet Radio” was poor and Amazon Music keep giving me errors when trying to log on (simply says “Error Error occurs. Please try again” when switching to the app.

I hope the answers to the above will be helpful to others.

Thanks,
post #1404 of 8039 Old 06-04-2016, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTWatts View Post
...connected it to the BACK of the 720...
You have to use the front port for firmware updates.

I like cars, airplanes, running, and coding || current gear: two eyes, two ears, one brain, and some other junk.
post #1405 of 8039 Old 06-04-2016, 10:26 PM

Liked: 10
Zone 2 ARC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTWatts View Post
2. Music Speaker Setup – I successfully created “Config 1 Speaker Profile” for 5.1 home theater. If I want to optimize music for 2 channel configuration in the same room, is the appropriate approach to go back into arc and create “Config 2 Speaker Profile” selecting the front two speakers and sub and then associate that profile when playing music? Is there anything else I should do to optimize two channel listening?

3. Zone 2 Speaker Setup – Similar to the above question, if I want to optimize 2 channel music in zone 2, do I repeat the process again in my second room and save it as Config 3?

I attempted to test the above tonight, but quickly realized that it didn't work.

My GOAL is to create two profiles: A) A home theater 5.1 profile in zone 1 and B) a 2 channel profile in zone 2.

Unfortunately I can't seem to separate zone 2 speakers and get them to play under any profile.

When selecting speakers for profile 1, I deselected "Backs" which is associated with zone 2 amplification. This works fine for the 5.1 profile but seems to disable any sound when trying to use profile, e.g. select config 1 for FM input.

When TRYING to select just the "Backs" (zone 2 speakers) for config #2 , I can't. It forces me to include the Fronts when all I want is the zone 2 Backs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
HTWatts
post #1406 of 8039 Old 06-06-2016, 04:52 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellyfungus View Post

Do you have Dolby volume enabled by any chance? I get a loud pop/static noise when watching Sky between adverts/channels but only occurs when using Dolby volume.

Not a deal breaker for me as Dolby volume is rubbish anyway - but frustrating when something doesn't quite work 100%.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #1407 of 8039 Old 06-06-2016, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2092 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Not sure if there is an official owners thread for the 520/720/1120 MRX receivers or if this is considered said thread, but I have a question/issue:

Recently upgraded to the Anthem MRX 520 as I am transitioning to 4k material. Tried watching my first UHD Bluray last night via the Samsung UBD-K8500 player (The Martian) but the MRX 520 would not hold onto the video signal. For 10 seconds it kept switching between 4k video input and no signal detected...severe handshake issue. Finally the Samsung downgraded to 1080p output automatically and the MRX held onto that signal just fine. I then connected the Samsung player directly to my EF9500 and 4k/HDR played perfectly (so it's not the HDMI cable). While I do not mind sending video to the TV and audio to the MRX via HDMI (since the Sammy has dual outputs), I also want to make sure there is not an issue I need to fix with my MRX.

Is there a known bug trying to watch UHD Blurays with the MRX's? Or certain settings I am overlooking?
I had the Sammy hooked up to HDMI 1 on the MRX and the EF9500 hooked up to the MRX via HDMI 2 out, with Deep Color enabled on the EF9500. MRX is upgraded to the latest 0044 firmware.

Thanks!
post #1408 of 8039 Old 06-06-2016, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Anthem new Receiver and Processor support Dolby Atmos and DTS:X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisGTL View Post
Do you have Dolby volume enabled by any chance? I get a loud pop/static noise when watching Sky between adverts/channels but only occurs when using Dolby volume.

Not a deal breaker for me as Dolby volume is rubbish anyway - but frustrating when something doesn't quite work 100%.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

For me the issue happens with Dolby Volume on or off. One of the options that was mentioned to me by support that might be considered is to use the Dolby volume setting to fix the issue by adjusting the pause between audio format changes to be slightly longer when Dolby volume is set to on. They have not confirmed that this is what they were going to do to fix this popping sound issue but did bring it up as an option.

As a side note, I've started recently using Dolby volume with leveler set to off and I'm liking the results for night time watching.
I originally didn't give this option a try. I did not know I could disable the leveler adjustments and just keep the frequency response adjustments.

Last edited by pedroalonso; 06-06-2016 at 03:01 PM.
post #1409 of 8039 Old 06-07-2016, 01:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Does ARC calibrate all the channels in a 7.2.4 setup?

post #1410 of 8039 Old 06-07-2016, 05:01 AM

Yes, ARC calibrates all 12 channels.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page