Owner's Thread for Anthem 60, 720 and 1120 Receivers - Page 75 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13548Likes

post #2221 of 8994 Old 10-21-2016, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by hery19 View Post
I am using these & they are great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They look very similar to the GLS Audio plugs and cheaper! Thanks!!
I paid 27.99 so the price came down!

Marantz AV7705, EMOTIVA MPS-2 with 7 EMP 300 200WPC modules, SVS Prime Tower & Ultra Center, Klipsch R-5650-S II, HSU VTF-15H MK2, Sony XBR 75X940D & 75X910C, Apple TV HD 64gb, Panasonic DP-UB820, Sony UBP-X800, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, OPPO BDP-93, HTPC, Technics SL-BD22D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2222 of 8994 Old 10-21-2016, 04:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30cabrio View Post
I posted the link to the newest review.

Here it is is again.

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/r...ceiver-review/
I need to pick up the sound and vision magazine. The secrets to home theater review seems to be as much an appreciation of atmos as the anthem, though the reviewer comments on great bass regularly.
post #2223 of 8994 Old 10-21-2016, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by designmule View Post
I need to pick up the sound and vision magazine. The secrets to home theater review seems to be as much an appreciation of atmos as the anthem, though the reviewer comments on great bass regularly.
It's odd, the Onkyo & Arcam reviews are live online but not Anthem.

http://www.soundandvision.com/catego...ceiver-reviews

They gave it a great review, I am watching Total Recall 2012 right now, sounds great. The 720 is a great unit.

Marantz AV7705, EMOTIVA MPS-2 with 7 EMP 300 200WPC modules, SVS Prime Tower & Ultra Center, Klipsch R-5650-S II, HSU VTF-15H MK2, Sony XBR 75X940D & 75X910C, Apple TV HD 64gb, Panasonic DP-UB820, Sony UBP-X800, Samsung UBD K8500, Roku Ultra, OPPO BDP-93, HTPC, Technics SL-BD22D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2224 of 8994 Old 10-21-2016, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Very true.

But not applicable to me. I do not appreciate being mistreated and have no problem asserting myself.
Is your unit for sale yet??? And perhaps you aren't the only one that "feels" they were mistreated in this scenario. An employee responding to questions about products on his own time should be given more leeway. And what exactly was your question anyway.
post #2225 of 8994 Old 10-21-2016, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
...I am being called out to beg nick to come back and kiss his a**. Additionally I have gotten unreasonable PM(s) from angry people.
I'm surprised, shocked and totally flabbergasted...all at the same time! How on earth could such a thing happen ?!?
post #2226 of 8994 Old 10-21-2016, 05:19 PM

No issue with reading comprehension, did quite well at it in school, believe it or not. Look forward to your reviews on your next piece of gear, any idea what you are moving to?? The 720 is something I am seriously considering at this time. And what was your question again, was it about DTS:X, the lack of response from basically a volunteer, or was it something to do with the review that seemed to have the WPC not to your liking??
post #2227 of 8994 Old 10-21-2016, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I have other adjectives for you.

If as you say you can read & retain the data then you already know.
Nope, but ever since I took the Evelyn Woodhead sped ridin course, my ridin has im-PRO-v'd won-der-FULL-y. I ricommend these Evelyn Woodhed Speed Riddin Courses to all my frens out there and you tell 'em that you heard it here first... on Roller Derby.

So no, I don't know what your question is, was or meant to be. Good luck with your new receiver.
post #2228 of 8994 Old 10-21-2016, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Getting a bit sick of some of the misinformation here (sorry to everyone else):

Let's get something straight here @e30cabrio you asked David Vaughn from S&V for a response (who hasn't responded I believe) NOT @Nick @ Anthem . Nick did not take 2 days to reply to you, because you never asked him.

Quote:
I got my S&V and see the specs that were referred to. Seems low, I wonder if David Vaughn can chime in as he did the review.
It was @HeffeMusic that asked Nick for an opinion on what you posted to which Nick promptly (within an hour and 3 minutes and replies to all subsequent questions directed to him were prompt as well) replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post
Hello Nick,
I hope all is well. Any comments on the S&V MRX1120 test results?
You do say you talked to someone at Anthem (Support?) who made comment about whatever it is you told him and reportedly said that Nick would respond after they do some investigation, but that would be highly irregular for an official support channel to refer you to an unofficial forum which is sometimes frequented by an employee in their own time. Seems pretty clear that for whatever reason he was just trying to get you off of the phone (I assume you called them). If anyone should have been reported to the Anthem CEO then it should have been this person.

In Nick's first post he answered the question(s). He provides HeffeMusic with his view on the power drop when more than 2 channels are driven and rightly enough doesn't want to go into specifics about the possible reason for the differences between the test results for two different model AVRs more than 2 years apart and likely performed by different people. So while you have assumed the test conditions are the same it is highly unlikely as even ambient air temperature will be a factor. Nick does however offer that it might be to do with the load monitoring in the AVR.

The problem is you didn't like his answer. If you want more details or speculation about the reasons there are differences in test results between the two AVR's then you should be contacting Sound & Vision as they (if anyone) will have the best understanding of the complete test conditions in both instances. I don't see you hounding David Vaughn because he never responded to you request for input. lol... sorry for dragging you in since it seems you have had the good sense to stay out of it.

Let's not forget in real world terms the difference in Wattage is a non issue since you won't hear the difference for the reasons explained previously.
I can fully understand why Nick would not provide the spec's as the industry standard nowadays is to only report on 2 channels driven and to provide spec's not formally published would most likely end up being taken out of context and create more problems that refusing to publish them even if they do have higher numbers than S&V. Not to mention it would start a whole debate about why the manufacturer ones are different to the S&V ones.

Here is Nick's initial reply to HeffeMusic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick @ Anthem View Post
Not knowing how the measurements were conducted at the two different times, and because there is nothing unusual about an AVR having around half the power output per channel with many driven compared to one or two driven, I don't have much to say except that it's possible for the protection circuit, which uses time and temperature as variables, to be behind this impression of a conflict. I've yet to hear of any real-world issue with the MRX 1120 amplification.
In summary:

The first person who started to make the whole discussion adversarial is you by accusing Nick why it took him 2 days to respond to a post you didn't ask him to respond to and he responded to in less then 1 1/2 hours when HeffeMusic quoted your original post that you address to David Vaughn asking Nick for his opinion.

Quote:
I would think it reasonable that the specs were derived using the same method, making it odd the 710 has more power.

What were your findings, at 1, .01%, @ 4/8 ohms etc 2, 5, 7, 11 channels driven?

Of more import why did your non answer take two days?
If Nick was smart would have stopped replying to posts after he made this reply to HeffeMusic making his position clear he would not look into it, but unfortunately he tried to initially lighten the tone with humour when he tried to point out to you that "you did not ask him for his opinion" Heffe Music did.

In post 2147 & 2148 it is clearly you that is being very rude, derogatory and making personal attacks by saying "Nick is too lazy" and calling him "[email protected]". Really at that point he should have ignored you and reported you to the moderators if you persisted:

Quote:
Maybe I wasn't clear enough but said that the load monitoring and protection systems decide how much output is safe under given conditions. This applies to previous MRX too, not just the latest. I do not have time nor inclination to perform detective work on the conditions under which independent measurements spanning several years occurred for the sake of this discussion. If symptoms of your system being underpowered are exhibited, please contact tech support. If they aren't but you're concerned regardless, external amplification may provide peace of mind.
post #2229 of 8994 Old 10-21-2016, 11:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Just need to say a few things, then sign off again until who knows when.

First and foremost, thank you to all who have taken it upon yourselves to make good of this situation. It is unexpected to say the least.

Second, not to prolong misery but to convey that there's been a simple misunderstanding of the type that inspired countless comedy sketches since movies were invented, to go along with the saying about there being three sides to every story: Did a tech rep really "promise" a response through an unofficial channel on someone else's behalf? On Monday afternoon I asked around. Fortunately, none of the reps were aware of this blow-up, therefore had nothing to hide, and the one who took the call the preceding Wednesday said he only mentioned in it that, "forums are Nick's thing, if he sees the post chances are he'll respond" which I have no reason to doubt. In other words, this time vampire began with a bit of everyday miscommunication.

Lastly, and this doesn't change anything previously said about dtsX availability: Estimates are just that, and provided only upon request. There's nothing more that anyone knows regarding release date, therefore nothing else that can be put into the answer except maybe what the attached recent photos of decoding in action (and to my ears, doing what it's supposed to) have to show with the caveat that it's still a work in progress not quite ready to be sent for certification. The trip to the finish line still has a few stops and the next release on our site, v62 maybe next week, predates dtsX decoding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	display.png
Views:	1305
Size:	471.4 KB
ID:	1728265  
Mikedit, Legairre, cargen and 12 others like this.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #2230 of 8994 Old 10-21-2016, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Thanks, Nick. Your help and time spent on these forums (your own personal time, no less) is a testament to your own love for AV. Thanks for answering questions (often the same ones over and over) and providing information to the best of your knowledge regarding Anthem products/updates, etc. I know for myself I will continue to regularly check this thread and help others the best I can to voice my opinions and share the great experiences I've had with this great product. I'm looking forward to the time when you decide to come back and re-join the conversation. Cheers.

Gear: The Brains: Anthem MRX 720. The Brawn: Outlaw 7700. The Fun: Custom PC w/ Logitech 27 & reverse mount pedals, Nintendo Switch, Playstation PS4 Pro. The Visuals: Oppo 203, Darbee Darblet, Optoma HD3300, Panamorph UH480, DIY 138" Curved screen using Semour Centerstage XD AT material. The Audio: 7.1.4: LCR: Tannoy DC12i. Sides: Tannoy IW63DC. Rears: Tannoy DC8i. Ceilings: Tannoy CMS 603/601 DCBM. Subs: 3X Micro Marty and 1X Full Marty.

Last edited by blastermaster; 10-22-2016 at 12:19 AM.
post #2231 of 8994 Old 10-22-2016, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Well, its the wrong person thats leaving the forum...thats all im gonna say.

Thanks [email protected] for you input in this forum about everything Anthem, hope you return soon and the break is not for long.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
post #2232 of 8994 Old 10-22-2016, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2389
Quote:
DTS X was promised in the summer. It is WINTER. I have not asked for it here or from phone support & don't care except it's availability was a feature I needed as I did not plan on replacing this unit for years (when I bought it) so if people are asking it is because it is overdue.

When I buy anything I expect to be treated respectfully. When I buy a premium niche item I demand it. Nick was extremely disrespectful.

Everyone has an opinion, mine differs from yours.
Quote:
Possibly but seeing as I am the customer who was told the mechanism of response would be here perhaps he might have not responded with an assume video and whining about his pay status.
To be clear, I'm not arguing whether or not you should feel slighted, or insulted, or whether or not your feelings were justified. My one and only argument is that your responses were entirely unnecessary, and served only one possible purpose, to make the situation go downhill. Taking a combative stance "asserting" yourself on an internet forum that is not an official support outlet was guaranteed to produce no positive result.

Quote:
IMO I have answered this again & again and I am done. I suggest you pay Anthem 2500 for a unit and accept no answers to your questions 1 year!
I understand the frustration, I've got an MRX1120, quite a bit more expensive than $2500, but I've been a beta tester (not for Anthem) before, and I've seen these things from the other side too. Situations like this are a no win for the developer/manufacturer. If they provide an estimated date an don't make it, they're crucified for breaking their promises, if they don't provide a date at all, they're strung up for not saying anything. Responses like yours (again, not arguing if your feelings are justified) are why most companies will not say anything at all.

Unfortunately it seems in this case Anthem has been at the mercy of their decoder supplier and it seems like that supplier has been missing dates. I'm sure Anthem was told summer when the new line was released, and then fall, and so on. I'm sure Anthem is just as frustrated with the delays as we are.
post #2233 of 8994 Old 10-22-2016, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked: 2389
Quote:
Great to see you're back, hope you stick around and don't let a few frustrated folks on the internet ruin your day. You're one of the reasons I keep buying Anthem products, the support is just second to none.

Quote:
Lastly, and this doesn't change anything previously said about dtsX availability: Estimates are just that, and provided only upon request. There's nothing more that anyone knows regarding release date, therefore nothing else that can be put into the answer except maybe what the attached recent photos of decoding in action (and to my ears, doing what it's supposed to) have to show with the caveat that it's still a work in progress not quite ready to be sent for certification. The trip to the finish line still has a few stops and the next release on our site, v62 maybe next week, predates dtsX decoding.
Awesome! Sounds like you've got what you needed from your decoder supplier, I look forward to checking it out when you guys finish with your development/QC.
studlygoorite likes this.
post #2234 of 8994 Old 10-22-2016, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
[...]
...and this doesn't change anything previously said about dtsX availability: Estimates are just that, and provided only upon request. There's nothing more that anyone knows regarding release date, therefore nothing else that can be put into the answer except maybe what the attached recent photos of decoding in action (and to my ears, doing what it's supposed to) have to show with the caveat that it's still a work in progress not quite ready to be sent for certification. The trip to the finish line still has a few stops and the next release on our site, v62 maybe next week, predates dtsX decoding.
Thanks for the DTS:X update @Nick @ Anthem and for your time at the forums, it is much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My equipment: JVC RS-55, SI Performance 120" 1.3 gain, OPPO BDP-105, ANTHEM MRX-1120, QNAP 469L NAS, ROKU 4.
MartinLogan speakers and subs. M/ASlim5 Rack, CalMAN 5 Enthusiast/C6 meter.
post #2235 of 8994 Old 10-22-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
I was on the call and was told you would respond, had he said wait for a response that may not come I would have said no, that is unacceptable, I am willing to wait but get an answer.

He may think that was what he said but it was not.

As far as DTS X I am in no hurry for it and never brought it up, just responded to someone that did.
So now this has boiled down to a "he said, she said" scenario. Something that nobody can win or prove either way. I am about to take the plunge on one of their receivers and hope Nick finds the time to rejoin the forum and provide the valuable input I have seen in reading this thread. Looks like DTS:X is getting close as well.
post #2236 of 8994 Old 10-22-2016, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The 1120 is still not live on S&V's site

The other units reviewed are there, maybe they are checking their math?

post #2237 of 8994 Old 10-22-2016, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
The 1120 is still not live on S&V's site

The other units reviewed are there, maybe they are checking their math?
They usually don't put them up till the next issue is out, so non-hardcopy readers are lucky this month. I think I paid around $25 for a 3 year subscription, good value as there's always something I haven't heard about here at AVS.
post #2238 of 8994 Old 10-22-2016, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Another Review

This review came out on October 19. for the MRX 1120 http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/r...ceiver-review/
dlinsley likes this.
post #2239 of 8994 Old 10-22-2016, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
They usually don't put them up till the next issue is out, so non-hardcopy readers are lucky this month. I think I paid around $25 for a 3 year subscription, good value as there's always something I haven't heard about here at AVS.
I have had a sub since they were Stereo Review, I am in the third year of a 3 year sub, I think I paid 30 and will renew for as many years as I can when it's time. It's a great mag & I always find something in every issue, frequently I buy something that is in there. That can be a problem!
dlinsley likes this.

post #2240 of 8994 Old 10-22-2016, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
To E30CP3O......just shut up and listen to your unit or get rid of it. I don't care! Nick has been a wonderful resource for all the rest of you guys. However, I am a dealer and can get Nick whenever I need him. He has helped us on many occasions and by his posts, many of you. You guys here have lost an extremely valuable resource. I have been in business 44 years and as Anthem/Paradigm dealer over 30 years and their support has been 10 levels better than any other manufacturer I have ever dealt with.
Nick, I'll be talking to you soon and I WILL send my own email to your CEO!!!!
Now, let's drop it! Maybe one day Nick will be back?
Tom
Mr Toads Stereo/Video
Kingsport, TN
post #2241 of 8994 Old 10-22-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I have said my peace (constitutionally protected btw) and have let it go until attacked.

Thanks for the warning, I'll avoid you for my future purchases.
I tremble at the thought.
TJG
post #2242 of 8994 Old 10-22-2016, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
I'd think it ill advised to be unpleasant while advertising your business. Is that allowed by vendors that aren't sponsors?
Why don't you just give it up, we've all heard enough.
Nugget likes this.
post #2243 of 8994 Old 10-22-2016, 02:07 PM
pau

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
How is your post helpful?
Im sick and tired of reading you mate. Get a shrink if things bother u so much. Else just swallow & continue and have a good day.

HTPC - MRX 520 - Gallo Reference 3.1 & Strada - SVS PC4000 - Sony 65" 4k TV 8505C
post #2244 of 8994 Old 10-22-2016, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pau View Post
Im sick and tired of reading you mate. Get a shrink if things bother u so much. Else just swallow & continue and have a good day.
I have not brought this up in days, if people keep attacking me, I will respond.

I find it interesting the bulk of the attacks are from people with no prior or few prior posts in this thread.

Prior to this I have offered helpful responses and answers to questions based on owning the unit. Considering this is your first post in this thread what have you posted that was helpful in this thread?

Last edited by e30cabrio; 10-22-2016 at 02:20 PM.
post #2245 of 8994 Old 10-22-2016, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1089
Quote:
I have said my peace (constitutionally protected btw) and have let it go until attacked.
FYI, Not true. This is a private forum and the moderators can delete any post or terminate any members thy wish.

I do wish everyone would get back on the topic of this thread instead of the banter and I do hope Nick will continue to participate.
post #2246 of 8994 Old 10-22-2016, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
FYI, Not true. This is a private forum and the moderators can delete any post or terminate any members thy wish.

I do wish everyone would get back on the topic of this thread instead of the banter and I do hope Nick will continue to participate.
The thread was on topic until someone brought this back up.

I was back to recommending banana plugs & offered a link to a review until new attacks occurred.

Can we stay back on topic?

Again, the 720 is a great unit and I like & can't recommend it highly enough.

post #2247 of 8994 Old 10-22-2016, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked: 774
Quote:
Come on back Nick. There are so many of us that appreciate you and all the help knowledge and information you provide. You've been helping me since the MRX 300 and then MRX 710 threads and I look forward to all your insight and knowledge as I get an MRX 720. If there is someone you don't wish to interact with just put them in your ignore list and you can still help the rest of us.

Legairre

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #2248 of 8994 Old 10-22-2016, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Come on guys, can't we just let e30cabrio have the final word on this.
post #2249 of 8994 Old 10-22-2016, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 1423
Just make peace like civilised human beings and move on. Is that too hard for either party?

JVC RS620/X9500 in bat cave Anthem MRX-720 + 3xpower amps = 7.1.4, Martin Logan Motion 60XT fronts, ML FX rears, ML Motion 50XT centre, 4 x ML Motion 2 on ceiling Atmos, ML Balanced force 210 as the beast. Panasonic UB900, STAX-3170 earspeakers, HTPC, PS4, PS3, Amiga 500 etc..Epson LS10000 calibration and WCG SDR settings: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-dig...l#post50298297
post #2250 of 8994 Old 10-22-2016, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2967 Post(s)
Liked: 1938

Sorry......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	716.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	1729433  
nickbuol likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
24bit/192kHz , 24bit/96khz , Anthem , anthem mrx720 , anthem triad in-wall subwoofer , atmos , firetv , hi res audio , mrx 1120 mrx 720 mrx 520 , MRX720 , [email protected] , Xbox

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page