The "OFFICIAL" Yamaha 1050/2050/3050 Owner's thread. - Page 305 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23016Likes

post #9121 of 10591 Old 02-23-2017, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2204 Post(s)
Liked: 2705
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon3_16 View Post
Can anyone tell me if the 2050 will pass dolby vision through the system? Trying to pick a uhd blu ray player and this will be a determinin factor.
Nobody can tell you definitively if the x050 series can pass-through DV. In any case, any player you get that can do DV will have dual HDMI outputs which renders the issue somewhat moot (unless you have a system that just makes it a PITA to run a second HDMI cable to the display). Consider that the only HDMI source device that currently "supports" DV (and I use that term loosely based upon reports) is the Chromecast Ultra there is little testing that can be done on DV via HDMI at the moment. Of course this will change by around the end of March when the Oppo 203 is supposed to get the DV update and also the launch of the LG player (although rumor has it the LG player won't support DV out the gate). So bottom line, until April at the earliest...we have no clear idea if any AVR will pass-through DV. The manufacturers are taking a "safe" approach saying they don't...but again how can they know when the source devices aren't out there yet?

-Jeff-
Man cave: Sony XBR75Z9D, Marantz SR8012, and OPPO UDP-203
Living room: Sony XBR75X950G, Denon x4500, and Sony UBP-X800M2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9122 of 10591 Old 02-24-2017, 04:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTech1 View Post
When I stream Spotify,it shows the Artist and Song. But when I'm watching tv or a movie, it does not tell you on the receiver in the middle where you can see it,DTS/DD ect.. It just says what ever DSP mode your in. I don't like looking at the front of the receiver and see Straight or Through, I want it to say the mode its in. How is saying straight or through informative? I want to know what codec its playing in without having to hit display and see it on my tv..
I just got the A760, and I'm sure you've figured it out by now, but you can toggle the front. There is a button on the remote (I think it's called info?) where you can cycle through what is displayed on the screen. So it can either say "Xbox One" or "Dolby Digital" or whatever.
post #9123 of 10591 Old 02-24-2017, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
I own a 3050, 2050, and 3 1050s (all in different systems of course), and the biggest difference that I can tell between them is the number of channels supported (I don't use zones, just lots of systems ). Since my systems are all quite different from one another in different rooms and with very different speakers I can't really do a fair comparison between the AVRs. I am happy with them all though.

My main room has a cx-a5100 paired with Outlaw amps and that room sounds the best, by far, of them all. It's a much larger room with high (10ft) ceilings and lots of sub woofers (4 Deftech BP8080STs with built in subwoofers and 2 Trinity Signature subwoofers).
Well with that CXA-5100 paired to the Outlaw 7900 and 7700, it better sound the best! That is some serious gear! What kind of speakers do you run in that system?

I am sure I would be very pleased with the 1050 but decided to send it back. I talked to Outlaw Tech support and decided to do a package through them. It's a ridiculous deal for me. I am getting the 975 for the pre, the Model 5000 for the amp and an Oppo UDP-203. All for $1399! I am sending back the Yamaha which I paid $699 for and returning my current Oppo 203 to the local store I purchased it from for $549. So that equals out to $1248! So by going this route, I am only paying an extra $151 for and amazing 5 channel amp! I would say that is a pretty good deal and decision on my end. I know the Yamaha has a lot of features and DSP modes, processing and so on but I honestly don't want any of that. I try to KISS. Keep it stupid simple. My last set up was as simple as it got and sounded the best I have ever had. It was a 2 channel set up. And I know the 975 doesn't process 4K. Another thing I don't care about right now. I went the 4K route for a bit and wasn't that impressed. Went back to a top of the line plasma which I still think has the best picture quality I have ever seen. But I will keep you all posted.

Phone number color definitions:
Purple = Phone number is not in BETTI
Red = Phone number is in BETTI on an existing SP or Consumer
Green = Phone number is a metered number owned by HomeAdvisor
HA Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9124 of 10591 Old 02-24-2017, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiJeffy View Post
Well with that CXA-5100 paired to the Outlaw 7900 and 7700, it better sound the best! That is some serious gear! What kind of speakers do you run in that system?
My main system's speaker configuration:

Front L&R and surround L&R: Def Tech BP8080STs
Center: Def Tech CS-8080HD
Rear Surrounds: 2 NHT Classic 3s
Presence (Heights): 4 NHT Classic 2s
Subwoofers: 2 Def Tech Trinity Signatures

The Outlaw 7900 powers the 7 bed channels and I'm using 4 channels in the 7700 to drive the Presence channels.

Good luck with your new system. I've been really happy with my Outlaw amps in my main system. However, I will say that I tried pairing another Outlaw amp that I have, a 7140, with my 3050 system and didn't have such good luck. With that setup I was getting pops from most changes in the AVR (channels, DSP modes, etc) that weren't there when using just the 3050's amps. I wound up removing the 7140 and using a couple of Outlaw 2200s that I had for just the front L&R channels on the 3050 system and no more pops. Never did pursue the issue after that so I don't no what was causing the pops.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra

Last edited by bwillcox; 02-24-2017 at 12:27 PM.
post #9125 of 10591 Old 03-01-2017, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin4730 View Post
I have some similar issues with HDMI handshake/screen flicker using the 3050 with a Panny VT60.

Did this fix the problem @AbbyDaddy ?
Honestly, it's been so long since I have been on here, i don't even remember what the issue was....

Yamaha RX-3050A Receiver (Powering C, R L/R, S L/R, FH L/R, and RH L/R) + (2) Emotiva XPA-100 (Powering F L/R)
(2) BIC Acoustech PL-980II,(4) BIC Acoustech PL-89II,BIC Acoustech PL-28II (C),(4) BIC Acoustech HT-8C (Ceiling/Atmos),(2) PL-200 subs
Samsung UN65F8000 1080P
Sony PS4 as Blu-Ray Player + Nvidia Shield for Kodi/Various Streaming
post #9126 of 10591 Old 03-01-2017, 04:51 AM

So, I have read the area of the manual as far as connecting bluetooth devices, but does anyone have an issue, or easy way of connecting your phone via bluetooth? I can see the phone listed in the menu, but cannot connect to it no matter what I do.

Yamaha RX-3050A Receiver (Powering C, R L/R, S L/R, FH L/R, and RH L/R) + (2) Emotiva XPA-100 (Powering F L/R)
(2) BIC Acoustech PL-980II,(4) BIC Acoustech PL-89II,BIC Acoustech PL-28II (C),(4) BIC Acoustech HT-8C (Ceiling/Atmos),(2) PL-200 subs
Samsung UN65F8000 1080P
post #9127 of 10591 Old 03-01-2017, 05:08 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyDaddy View Post
Honestly, it's been so long since I have been on here, i don't even remember what the issue was....

Lol yeah I realized after I replied this was a way old post. I got my issue figured out too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TV: Panasonic 60" VT60 Plasma Surround: Yamaha RXA3050 5.1.2 Definitive Technology BP7006 (front), DefTech studio 350's (rear), Def Tech Di6.5r (ceiling) Players: Raspberry Pi running OpenElec/Kodi, Roku, Sony Blu-ray Control: Control4, whole house automation
post #9128 of 10591 Old 03-01-2017, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey All, I picked up a a1050 for a great price to replace my Marantz SR7002. I've been running 5.2 with all infinity IL's(40/30/36c) and two Klipsch 12" subs. I would like to move to either 7.2 or 5.1.2(dont think I can go 5.2.2 unless I split something down the line and im guessing that would be bad juju.) This is for an approximately 22x18 room with my rear seats up against the wall. I have access to the ceiling, would you recommend either....
...Getting rears backs for 7.2.
...Going 5.1.2 ( can I use my second sub?)
...Selling both the a1050 and Marantz, ( have an old pioneer elite with a blown LFE I could get rid of too) and putting money towards a 2050/2060?
...other ideas?

Mainly I use this room for Movies as I have another system downstairs for whole house audio.
post #9129 of 10591 Old 03-01-2017, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1064 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon3_16 View Post
Can anyone tell me if the 2050 will pass dolby vision through the system? Trying to pick a uhd blu ray player and this will be a determinin factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon737 View Post
Nobody can tell you definitively if the x050 series can pass-through DV. In any case, any player you get that can do DV will have dual HDMI outputs which renders the issue somewhat moot (unless you have a system that just makes it a PITA to run a second HDMI cable to the display). Consider that the only HDMI source device that currently "supports" DV (and I use that term loosely based upon reports) is the Chromecast Ultra there is little testing that can be done on DV via HDMI at the moment. Of course this will change by around the end of March when the Oppo 203 is supposed to get the DV update and also the launch of the LG player (although rumor has it the LG player won't support DV out the gate). So bottom line, until April at the earliest...we have no clear idea if any AVR will pass-through DV. The manufacturers are taking a "safe" approach saying they don't...but again how can they know when the source devices aren't out there yet?

Currently Yamaha AVRS do not pass dolby vision. This information is due to my testing with the only device currently available. And from calling Yamaha and them stating no they do not and will not support it.

Im still hopefull they will fix this via firmware.

And bluemoon you say any system that supports it will have dual HDMI out. Currently the only system that supports it is Chromecast ultra which not only does not have dual HDMI but has no audio out at all besides the main HDMI connection.

This device does not pass dolby vision when connected to the Yamaha 3050. But I can't be sure where the fault lies. I can tell you that the Chromecast is not even trying to send Dolby Vision when connected to the AVR. The way it is currently reading EDID from the Yamaha it is only reading the device as HDR-10 capabale and not dolby vision. I am hoping either Yamaha or Google can fix this. But I don't expect much being Yamaha told me they wouldn't.
post #9130 of 10591 Old 03-01-2017, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
Currently Yamaha AVRS do not pass dolby vision. This information is due to my testing with the only device currently available. And from calling Yamaha and them stating no they do not and will not support it.

Im still hopefull they will fix this via firmware.

And bluemoon you say any system that supports it will have dual HDMI out. Currently the only system that supports it is Chromecast ultra which not only does not have dual HDMI but has no audio out at all besides the main HDMI connection.

This device does not pass dolby vision when connected to the Yamaha 3050. But I can't be sure where the fault lies. I can tell you that the Chromecast is not even trying to send Dolby Vision when connected to the AVR. The way it is currently reading EDID from the Yamaha it is only reading the device as HDR-10 capabale and not dolby vision. I am hoping either Yamaha or Google can fix this. But I don't expect much being Yamaha told me they wouldn't.

Sorry, was speaking to UHD BD players in terms of dual outs. I am still not convinced that the Ultra is the ultimate true test. DV support in general on that device is sketchy at best. Again, time will tell once we have UHD BD DV players out there and TVs that have been "proven" to reliably accept a DV input via HDMI. Not saying with certainty that the x050 series WILL pass it, just saying that IMHO it is too early to tell for sure.

And as with most CE companies...never trust something you were told by a support rep as gospel. Until there is a press release or something is in black and white on their website, it isn't true.

-Jeff-
post #9131 of 10591 Old 03-01-2017, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
So, I have read the area of the manual as far as connecting bluetooth devices, but does anyone have an issue, or easy way of connecting your phone via bluetooth? I can see the phone listed in the menu, but cannot connect to it no matter what I do.

I have no problems connecting my phone or tablet. Do you see the name of the Yamaha on your phone?
post #9132 of 10591 Old 03-01-2017, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm considering upgrading my Pioneer SC-81 to a Yamaha 2060 when the new models come out later this year. However, yesterday I was told by a Magnolia rep that the makers of the Pioneer app also make the Yamaha app. I was wondering if there are a lot of issues with the app? That is a big reason why I'm looking to upgrade. The Pioneer app has regular issues where it won't work, plus Pandora issues.

Sony XBR70 850
Pioneer SC-81
Martin Logan Motion 40's
Martin Logan Motion 8
Rythmik LVX12
post #9133 of 10591 Old 03-01-2017, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, was speaking to UHD BD players in terms of dual outs. I am still not convinced that the Ultra is the ultimate true test. DV support in general on that device is sketchy at best. Again, time will tell once we have UHD BD DV players out there and TVs that have been "proven" to reliably accept a DV input via HDMI. Not saying with certainty that the x050 series WILL pass it, just saying that IMHO it is too early to tell for sure.

And as with most CE companies...never trust something you were told by a support rep as gospel. Until there is a press release or something is in black and white on their website, it isn't true.
Oh I agree, I am hoping they fix something to allow Dolby Vision to work. It is annoying because it does not need any added hardware for Dolby Vision, they just have to have the receiver know to know how to read it in the EDID and pass it.
post #9134 of 10591 Old 03-01-2017, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh I agree, I am hoping they fix something to allow Dolby Vision to work. It is annoying because it does not need any added hardware for Dolby Vision, they just have to have the receiver know to know how to read it in the EDID and pass it.
Way off topic here but...

Weellllll...that's assuming that is the hang up with the Ultra. Still not convinced the Ultra is working correctly at all WRT DV. I find it pretty suspicious that the only TV that supports DV from the Ultra is the Vizio. Funny thing...the Vizio OS is Googlecast. Vizio turned over all internal functionality of the P series (and as a follow on the 2016 M series) to Google. Watch the video of Matt McRea discussing how the P series was developed...Google "owns" the operation of that set. Sooooo...it would not surprise me if Google was doing something "behind the scenes" that makes things work with the Vizio but that method doesn't pass via "normal" HDMI communications.

I suspect the Ultra is the culprit which is why I said to hold off until the UHD BD players are on line before we make a definitive statement of DV pass-through (regardless of what Yamaha is saying at the moment).

(as a side note, I suspect Vizio is just the fall guy on the whole "data collection" thing and it is obviously Google that was doing it but since Vizio's name is on the TV they are taking the fall for it)

-Jeff-
post #9135 of 10591 Old 03-01-2017, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Way off topic here but...

Weellllll...that's assuming that is the hang up with the Ultra. Still not convinced the Ultra is working correctly at all WRT DV. I find it pretty suspicious that the only TV that supports DV from the Ultra is the Vizio. Funny thing...the Vizio OS is Googlecast. Vizio turned over all internal functionality of the P series (and as a follow on the 2016 M series) to Google. Watch the video of Matt McRea discussing how the P series was developed...Google "owns" the operation of that set. Sooooo...it would not surprise me if Google was doing something "behind the scenes" that makes things work with the Vizio but that method doesn't pass via "normal" HDMI communications.

I suspect the Ultra is the culprit which is why I said to hold off until the UHD BD players are on line before we make a definitive statement of DV pass-through (regardless of what Yamaha is saying at the moment).

(as a side note, I suspect Vizio is just the fall guy on the whole "data collection" thing and it is obviously Google that was doing it but since Vizio's name is on the TV they are taking the fall for it)
Apparently they will be updating it to fix dolby vision not working on the LG tvs soon.
But it is possible that you are correct about the problem being with the Chromecast.

Problem is we are probably pretty far off from any other device being available. Oppo said they would update their player to play Dolby Vision but also said that App support is not guarenteed or even likely. And there are currently not UHD discs that include Dolby Vision. So currently the only way to get it is via streaming. Dolby did release that SDK info so devices could be updated to send dolby vision so can only hope other players will get updated to support it and then we can test for sure if it is the AVR or the Chromecast Ultra.
post #9136 of 10591 Old 03-01-2017, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Apparently they will be updating it to fix dolby vision not working on the LG tvs soon.
But it is possible that you are correct about the problem being with the Chromecast.

Problem is we are probably pretty far off from any other device being available. Oppo said they would update their player to play Dolby Vision but also said that App support is not guarenteed or even likely. And there are currently not UHD discs that include Dolby Vision. So currently the only way to get it is via streaming. Dolby did release that SDK info so devices could be updated to send dolby vision so can only hope other players will get updated to support it and then we can test for sure if it is the AVR or the Chromecast Ultra.
The current timeline as we know it (taken with a BIG grain of salt ), is that the DV update for the 203 is supposed to be out by the end of the month. DV discs are also slated to hit the streets first of April (granted only in Germany as of right now but since UHD BDs are not region locked I know many have already placed pre-orders as they are actually English versions of the last two Harry Potter movies I believe). Soooo...by early April we should know...maybe.
shortyg83 likes this.

-Jeff-
post #9137 of 10591 Old 03-01-2017, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The current timeline as we know it (taken with a BIG grain of salt ), is that the DV update for the 203 is supposed to be out by the end of the month. DV discs are also slated to hit the streets first of April (granted only in Germany as of right now but since UHD BDs are not region locked I know many have already placed pre-orders as they are actually English versions of the last two Harry Potter movies I believe). Soooo...by early April we should know...maybe.

I, unfortunately, will probably not be able to test them though since I doubt my Z9D will see the DV update before then.

-Jeff-
post #9138 of 10591 Old 03-01-2017, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime74 View Post
I'm considering upgrading my Pioneer SC-81 to a Yamaha 2060 when the new models come out later this year. However, yesterday I was told by a Magnolia rep that the makers of the Pioneer app also make the Yamaha app. I was wondering if there are a lot of issues with the app? That is a big reason why I'm looking to upgrade. The Pioneer app has regular issues where it won't work, plus Pandora issues.
Funny you bring the yamaha app topic up. As of yesterday my phone app no longer works. Don't now what's going on. I really enjoyed using it and haven't had any problems since I downloaded it 6 months back.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled it and know when I put the IP address of my 1050 into the app it keeps kicking the last number to 0. Go figure. Strange thing is when I turn my phone off and back on my 1050 comes on by itself. But still app doesn't work. It keeps going into demo mode.
Edit:: I have no issues using pandora and connecting bluetooth. Never have. Hope this helps.

Sony xbr 940d
Klipsch RP260F
Klipsch RP450C
Klipsch RP240S
Paradigm pdr12
Yamaha rx-a1050

Last edited by bcovish; 03-01-2017 at 05:37 PM.
post #9139 of 10591 Old 03-01-2017, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcovish View Post
Funny you bring the yamaha app topic up. As of yesterday my phone app no longer works. Don't now what's going on. I really enjoyed using it and haven't had any problems since I downloaded it 6 months back.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled it and know when I put the IP address of my 1050 into the app it keeps kicking the last number to 0. Go figure. Strange thing is when I turn my phone off and back on my 1050 comes on by itself. But still app doesn't work. It keeps going into demo mode.
Edit:: I have no issues using pandora and connecting bluetooth. Never have. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the response, I also see that I'm in the 50 model. Anyways, my Pioneer has some type of issue at least every few days. Either with Pandora or unable to connect. Sometime it won't recognize the IP, but usually it recognizes the IP but won't connect for whatever reason.

Sony XBR70 850
Pioneer SC-81
Martin Logan Motion 40's
Martin Logan Motion 8
Rythmik LVX12
post #9140 of 10591 Old 03-01-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime74 View Post
Thanks for the response, I also see that I'm in the 50 model. Anyways, my Pioneer has some witype of issue at least every few days. Either with Pandora or unable to connect. Sometime it won't recognize the IP, but usually it recognizes the IP but won't connect for whatever reason.
Well I'm kinda embarrassed to admit this....just realized my wifi was turned off on my phone. So couldn't connect using the yamaha app. I was confused since my pandora was working and realized that I didn't need wifi(on phone) to stream music to the 1050. Turned on my wifi and bam. All good. Feeling like a newb or just getting old. So the answer to your question never had a problem with the app or using bluetooth.
muzz, bluemoon737 and primetime74 like this.

Sony xbr 940d
Klipsch RP260F
Klipsch RP450C
Klipsch RP240S
Paradigm pdr12
Yamaha rx-a1050
post #9141 of 10591 Old 03-02-2017, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPlay View Post
I have no problems connecting my phone or tablet. Do you see the name of the Yamaha on your phone?

I see the phone on the Yamaha, but not the Yamaha on the phone. I tried with my LG V10, and two Samsung tablets. Even when it says that it is supposedly in discovery mode, I cannot connect.

Does anyone know the steps to do this? It shouldn't be so difficult, and not a noobie...

Samsung UN65F8000 1080P
post #9142 of 10591 Old 03-02-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I see the phone on the Yamaha, but not the Yamaha on the phone. I tried with my LG V10, and two Samsung tablets. Even when it says that it is supposedly in discovery mode, I cannot connect.

Does anyone know the steps to do this? It shouldn't be so difficult, and not a noobie...
On the phone app..have you tried the I icon on the top right corner? It will run you through a few steps to connect. You also might want to call yamaha support. They have been extremely helpful when used them in the past. It also depends which tech you get.

Sony xbr 940d
Klipsch RP260F
Klipsch RP450C
Klipsch RP240S
Paradigm pdr12
Yamaha rx-a1050
post #9143 of 10591 Old 03-02-2017, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Hmmm. . .I have never used the Yamaha app on my phone or tablet. I just turn on the Bluetooth on the Yamaha and the phone/tablet. The phone/tablet brings up the list of all Bluetooth devices it "found" before and I just select the Yamaha to connect.
bcovish likes this.
post #9144 of 10591 Old 03-02-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Hmmm. . .I have never used the Yamaha app on my phone or tablet. I just turn on the Bluetooth on the Yamaha and the phone/tablet. The phone/tablet brings up the list of all Bluetooth devices it "found" before and I just select the Yamaha to connect.
You should give it a try. The phone app comes in handy when watching a movie or listening to music in darker rooms. Since the remote is not backlit I can make adjustments on the fly with out fumbling around with pop up menus on the tv or turning on a light. I find it a very nice tool for the home theater. Also fun to play around with.
EPlay likes this.

Sony xbr 940d
Klipsch RP260F
Klipsch RP450C
Klipsch RP240S
Paradigm pdr12
Yamaha rx-a1050

Last edited by bcovish; 03-02-2017 at 05:40 PM.
post #9145 of 10591 Old 03-02-2017, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Quote:

Hi i had the same issue with my Yamaha Cx a5100. What worked for me was to unplug the Yamaha for 10 minutes and then plug it back in. After that I was able to connect with my phone.
post #9146 of 10591 Old 03-03-2017, 03:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 180
I too use the app a lot. Especially because the remote labels are so friggin' tiny!
bcovish likes this.

LG OLED 65C7P • Apple TV 4K • Roku Ultra 2018 • Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray • LG UP970 UHD BD
Denon X3400H AVR • Paradigm Cinema 110 CT Speaker System
post #9147 of 10591 Old 03-04-2017, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey all, I started out with just two towers hooked up to my a2050 with manual speaker setup (2.0). I recently finally bought a center channel (slowing building my setup) for a 3.0 setup, so I went into the manual speaker setup and turned the center speaker on as small (in Configuration) and get no sound. On the display of the receiver it still just shows L and R only. The center is showing up in the speaker setup display on the TV, with the L/R towers set as large and center as small. The test tone does identify and produce sound from the center, and the center C shows up on the receiver display and flashes during the test tone, so this eliminates a speaker wire/connection issue. I have tried all of the speaker default setups in Power Amp Assign like the 7.1, 9.1, 7.1 + Zone, etc and none produce sound from the center. There is NOT a box around the center in any of the Power Amp Assign options, and don't know how to change that. Finally, I also tried the automatic speaker setup using YPAO and still nothing. What am I missing? I think since there is no box around the center in the Power Amp Assign, that this may be the issue. I would have thought changing the center from Off to Small in the Configuration section that it would recognize it in the Power Amp Assign section.
post #9148 of 10591 Old 03-04-2017, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by buening View Post
Hey all, I started out with just two towers hooked up to my a2050 with manual speaker setup (2.0). I recently finally bought a center channel (slowing building my setup) for a 3.0 setup, so I went into the manual speaker setup and turned the center speaker on as small (in Configuration) and get no sound. On the display of the receiver it still just shows L and R only. The center is showing up in the speaker setup display on the TV, with the L/R towers set as large and center as small. The test tone does identify and produce sound from the center, and the center C shows up on the receiver display and flashes during the test tone, so this eliminates a speaker wire/connection issue. I have tried all of the speaker default setups in Power Amp Assign like the 7.1, 9.1, 7.1 + Zone, etc and none produce sound from the center. There is NOT a box around the center in any of the Power Amp Assign options, and don't know how to change that. Finally, I also tried the automatic speaker setup using YPAO and still nothing. What am I missing? I think since there is no box around the center in the Power Amp Assign, that this may be the issue. I would have thought changing the center from Off to Small in the Configuration section that it would recognize it in the Power Amp Assign section.
I'll ask the obvious question: is your source > 2.0? If not, you would need to have a (movie) DSP setting engaged to get sound out of the center channel.
Leave the Power Amp assign on "basic".

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.25.70]
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]
post #9149 of 10591 Old 03-04-2017, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Well that obvious question was indeed the issue. The DVD that I tried as well as the Xfinity cable show must have been only 2.0 sound. I put in a new release bluray and it immediately recognized the center, then went back to cable tv and again it played through the center. Thanks!
post #9150 of 10591 Old 03-05-2017, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by buening View Post
Well that obvious question was indeed the issue. The DVD that I tried as well as the Xfinity cable show must have been only 2.0 sound. I put in a new release bluray and it immediately recognized the center, then went back to cable tv and again it played through the center. Thanks!
Try some of the Yamaha DSPs. They will take your 2.0 sources and make them 3.0. I'm always using the SURROUND DSP to make 5.1 sources 7.1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
scenes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page