The "OFFICIAL" Yamaha 1050/2050/3050 Owner's thread. - Page 359 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23045Likes

post #10741 of 10747 Old 01-14-2020, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Atmos solved - YAY!

So finally I get to see the longed for 'Atmos' displayed on the front of the Yamaha RX-A3050, actually playing content from the AppleTV. Anyone guessing it was the AppleTV causing the problem can pat themselves on the back. But the solution was not what I would call obvious.

First of all, I totally failed to make any headway playing content from a USB stick in either the A3050 itself or my Blu-Ray player. Both have real problems with anything 'unusual' and simply refused to play ball.

As suggested, I swapped the HDMI cable from the AppleTV to the A3050 to a longer one from a Sky Q setup we no longer have. Since Sky Q can play 4K and Atmos, I figured it must be capable. But no difference. Still no Atmos.

So I swapped the Apple TV as I have another 4K one elsewhere and 2 of them cannot both be faulty. Well, faulty may be the wrong word, but they both exhibited the same problem - no Atmos. Until…

Looking at the Apple TV setup, in Audio and Video section, the Audio Format is set to Auto and in that main section screen, displays 'Auto', even when you enter that option and see 'Immersive Audio' is enabled.

Then while looking at the settings thinking I wish I could simply select 4K and be done with it, on a whim I tried changing the video from 1080P/50 SDR -> 1080P/50 HDR. I don't believe my Panasonic plasma is actually HDR, but what the hell, might as well try. If it doesn't work, it will revert back so no problem. However although it did actually produce a display on the TV, the AppleTV menus and screens look really washed out. Dreadful picture in fact, but not expecting much I tried the Dolby demos again…

Yay! The A3050 finally actually shows Atmos and all is working. I'm not sure if the picture quality is actually worse, like the AppleTV's own screens, but the all important Atmos is now functioning. So…

You may imagine from this that the AppleTV requires the video output set to HDR before Atmos will function and indeed when checking the Audio and Video section of Settings, Audio Format now shows 'Auto, Atmos available', so it has definitely now got its act together and all set to work with Atmos.

However, this was all with the other AppleTV that I was trying and that had to go back to another room with a TV that is definitely SDR, so I switched back to 1080P/50 SDR and was rather surprised to see that Audio Format still said 'Auto, Atmos available' (but much more clearly now set back to SDR) and when I again tried the Dolby demos, they still play perfectly with Atmos.

I then swapped back to the original AppleTV for that room and changed to 1080P/50 HDR resulting in the same washed out AppleTV screens and Audio Format now showing 'Auto, Atmos available'. But I then immediately switched back to 1080P/50 SDR and lo and behold Audio Format remains as 'Auto, Atmos available' and the Dolby demos play perfectly with Atmos.

Apart from my obvious joy and relief to get Atmos working, I am completely bemused by this. In order to actually play Atmos, the Apple TV 4K must have been switched to an HDR video mode, even though it can then be reset to SDR. This is totally bizarre. First of all, why in any way link those 2 features. The sound quality has NOTHING to do with any video format or quality setting. Secondly, why will it refuse to work on SDR until HDR has been selected, enabling Atmos but then still working once switched back to SDR.

Needless to say, thank you to all who assisted, but I'll bet NO-ONE expected this to be the cause. However, if anyone can shed any light on this bizarre AppleTV behaviour - please do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10742 of 10747 Old 01-14-2020, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1382 Post(s)
Liked: 1338
I'm glad you got it working.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ________________________
post #10743 of 10747 Old 01-15-2020, 01:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKenGB View Post
So finally I get to see the longed for 'Atmos' displayed on the front of the Yamaha RX-A3050, actually playing content from the AppleTV. Anyone guessing it was the AppleTV causing the problem can pat themselves on the back. But the solution was not what I would call obvious.

First of all, I totally failed to make any headway playing content from a USB stick in either the A3050 itself or my Blu-Ray player. Both have real problems with anything 'unusual' and simply refused to play ball.

As suggested, I swapped the HDMI cable from the AppleTV to the A3050 to a longer one from a Sky Q setup we no longer have. Since Sky Q can play 4K and Atmos, I figured it must be capable. But no difference. Still no Atmos.

So I swapped the Apple TV as I have another 4K one elsewhere and 2 of them cannot both be faulty. Well, faulty may be the wrong word, but they both exhibited the same problem - no Atmos. Until…

Looking at the Apple TV setup, in Audio and Video section, the Audio Format is set to Auto and in that main section screen, displays 'Auto', even when you enter that option and see 'Immersive Audio' is enabled.

Then while looking at the settings thinking I wish I could simply select 4K and be done with it, on a whim I tried changing the video from 1080P/50 SDR -> 1080P/50 HDR. I don't believe my Panasonic plasma is actually HDR, but what the hell, might as well try. If it doesn't work, it will revert back so no problem. However although it did actually produce a display on the TV, the AppleTV menus and screens look really washed out. Dreadful picture in fact, but not expecting much I tried the Dolby demos again…

Yay! The A3050 finally actually shows Atmos and all is working. I'm not sure if the picture quality is actually worse, like the AppleTV's own screens, but the all important Atmos is now functioning. So…

You may imagine from this that the AppleTV requires the video output set to HDR before Atmos will function and indeed when checking the Audio and Video section of Settings, Audio Format now shows 'Auto, Atmos available', so it has definitely now got its act together and all set to work with Atmos.

However, this was all with the other AppleTV that I was trying and that had to go back to another room with a TV that is definitely SDR, so I switched back to 1080P/50 SDR and was rather surprised to see that Audio Format still said 'Auto, Atmos available' (but much more clearly now set back to SDR) and when I again tried the Dolby demos, they still play perfectly with Atmos.

I then swapped back to the original AppleTV for that room and changed to 1080P/50 HDR resulting in the same washed out AppleTV screens and Audio Format now showing 'Auto, Atmos available'. But I then immediately switched back to 1080P/50 SDR and lo and behold Audio Format remains as 'Auto, Atmos available' and the Dolby demos play perfectly with Atmos.

Apart from my obvious joy and relief to get Atmos working, I am completely bemused by this. In order to actually play Atmos, the Apple TV 4K must have been switched to an HDR video mode, even though it can then be reset to SDR. This is totally bizarre. First of all, why in any way link those 2 features. The sound quality has NOTHING to do with any video format or quality setting. Secondly, why will it refuse to work on SDR until HDR has been selected, enabling Atmos but then still working once switched back to SDR.

Needless to say, thank you to all who assisted, but I'll bet NO-ONE expected this to be the cause. However, if anyone can shed any light on this bizarre AppleTV behaviour - please do.

Maybe the atv had cached, remembered the edid from the Yamaha before you configured atmos speakers and trying hdr caused it to reset the cache, reread the edid properly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10744 of 10747 Old 01-15-2020, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreNewman View Post
Maybe the atv had cached, remembered the edid from the Yamaha before you configured atmos speakers and trying hdr caused it to reset the cache, reread the edid properly?
I don't think so. I've had all the speakers connected since I first installed the 3050 and the exact same issue and solution occurred with TWO AppleTVs, so I very much doubt it was any caching.

I think it's sadly another case of Apple screwing up. Somewhere in TVOS there's something about SDR/HDR/Atmos that has not been fully thought through. As I said, daft if the audio and video qualities are linked in that way and nonsensical to require first setting to HDR but then still ok when reset to SDR. I think it just has to be an oversight. But I'm sick and tired of sending Apple reports on their products simply not doing what they're supposed to.

Just to clarify that, I'm not an Apple hater and use their products in preference to anything else, but these days they're rushing stuff to market with serious flaws and need to pull their collective socks up.
post #10745 of 10747 Old 01-15-2020, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
I don't think so. I've had all the speakers connected since I first installed the 3050 and the exact same issue and solution occurred with TWO AppleTVs, so I very much doubt it was any caching.

I think it's sadly another case of Apple screwing up. Somewhere in TVOS there's something about SDR/HDR/Atmos that has not been fully thought through. As I said, daft if the audio and video qualities are linked in that way and nonsensical to require first setting to HDR but then still ok when reset to SDR. I think it just has to be an oversight. But I'm sick and tired of sending Apple reports on their products simply not doing what they're supposed to.

Just to clarify that, I'm not an Apple hater and use their products in preference to anything else, but these days they're rushing stuff to market with serious flaws and need to pull their collective socks up.
Well, glad you got it sorted out, even if it doesn't really make much sense.

In recent years it really seems like Apple hired some Microsoft people... A good friend who develops software for Apple products has been muttering and moaning about some of their recent decisions.

My Apple TV has fallen out of use for anything other than Netflix and Airplay photo slide shows since setting up MadVR and Kodi, now I get good quality audio instead of " not quite sure what is wrong with this" PCM and no more jumps on 24p films.

Apple TV box is so close but not quite, weird behaviour doesn't help.
post #10746 of 10747 Old 01-15-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreNewman View Post
Well, glad you got it sorted out, even if it doesn't really make much sense.

In recent years it really seems like Apple hired some Microsoft people... A good friend who develops software for Apple products has been muttering and moaning about some of their recent decisions.

My Apple TV has fallen out of use for anything other than Netflix and Airplay photo slide shows since setting up MadVR and Kodi, now I get good quality audio instead of " not quite sure what is wrong with this" PCM and no more jumps on 24p films.

Apple TV box is so close but not quite, weird behaviour doesn't help.
Apart from this, the AppleTV has been brilliant. I've been using them since the Gen1 to enable whole house music and now they are the sole source of movies and TV in all the relevant rooms. Apart from any streaming services, I use Plex for music and video/movie storage. Everything is available through the AppleTV which never falters in its performance and makes it a superb piece of kit in my opinion. Just the one box does it all.

Mind you, I use wired Gigabit ethernet to everything that doesn't move as that's more robust and reliable than Wifi, great though that is for mobile devices. But if it doesn't move, wire it. I find that works for me.
post #10747 of 10747 Old 01-15-2020, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1791 Post(s)
Liked: 904
Quote:

Quote:

I totally agree with you (second quote)...and you have absolutely saved anyone who may ever encounter this problem a lot of trouble via your diligence (and post).

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.26.00]
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
lip sync , lipsync , scenes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page