The "Official" Yamaha CX-A5100 AVP Owners thread - Page 132 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4227Likes

post #3931 of 4417 Old 05-13-2018, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Hopefully you won't be able to tell any difference. Sending over HDMI is going to preferable.
Why would HDMI be preferable to the built in apps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3932 of 4417 Old 05-13-2018, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 244 Post(s)
Quoted: 5533 Post(s)
Liked: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post
Why would HDMI be preferable to the built in apps?
I mis-typed. HDMI is least preferred.
post #3933 of 4417 Old 05-15-2018, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 33
new firmware V2.56 just released and downloadable via network connection. no details on website support pages yet.
can't see anything glaringly obvious after update..

Matt Goldsmith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3934 of 4417 Old 05-15-2018, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoldsmith View Post
new firmware V2.56 just released and downloadable via network connection. no details on website support pages yet.
can't see anything glaringly obvious after update..
This firmware includes

1. To be compatible with MusicCast 2018 models
2. Stability Improvement
post #3935 of 4417 Old 05-15-2018, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis.ie View Post
@aeneas01 As I mentioned in an earlier post, from time to time the rear presence seem to get "confused" and running YPAO sorts them out.

You should now be able to switch between height and overhead with no issue. Keep an eye on them in case it happens again though.
yes, re-running ypao seemed to be the cure, thanks for your suggestion!

the first 5100 i purchased had issues, it couldn't get through ypao, something always caused it to fail, as a result i went around and around with it, including many troubleshooting calls with yamaha, and countless cable/wire changes, and cable/wire re-securing, etc., etc., nothing worked, it was a real pia... at the end of the day it was decided that i should just send it back and i would receive a replacement... the replacement worked out of the box, ypao motored through without a hitch, and yamaha let me know that they did indeed find a prob with the returned unit... anyway, when i think of having to run ypao again i always think of the pia it was the first time around, that's what has stuck in my mind, but it's really a snap now, i shouldn't be reluctant to just do it when needed!
post #3936 of 4417 Old 05-16-2018, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Both apps are built in, why not use them? Only use Pandora app myself so can not speak about the others.
as i mentioned, i was curious about sound quality, i.e. i wondered if hdmi offered a better sound experience than the built-in app, but it sounds like the opposite is true, that the app might actually offer better sound, or certainly isn't any worse than hdmi.

also, if hdmi was known to be the better option, i was prepared to go that route because of better sound, and because i like the simplicity of standalone music apps, and their gui... streaming any music source via hdmi, including google play, amazon music, is the same process, just open the individual music app and stream... but when using yamaha's apps it becomes a bit murkier - spotify can be connected directly to the 5100 through the spotify app/gui while deezer, tidal and others require launching the musiccast app as far as i can tell, which really is a less enjoyable gui experience than what their respective apps offer... then you have google play and amazon, which aren't available through the 5100 afaik...

anyway, i've been playing around with musiccast tonight, it might be better than i thought, looks like you can do some interesting things with it, including centralizing all of your playlists from different music services, altho i still much prefer the gui experience that the individual apps offer vs the musiccast gui experience...

btw, i've become hooked on the yamaha ip web setup feature, it's really a great tool... is there an android equivalent? the yamaha av controller app for android offers a lot of nice control features, but doesn't come close to the web setup offering (imo)....

EDIT: doh, i see that the web setup can be launched in android by just using a browser, awesome...

Last edited by aeneas01; 05-16-2018 at 12:22 AM.
post #3937 of 4417 Old 05-16-2018, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruser View Post
This firmware includes

1. To be compatible with MusicCast 2018 models
2. Stability Improvement
The only thing I can see is in the MusicCast app, you can choose to send the audio around to other MusicCast speakers with or without compression.
post #3938 of 4417 Old 05-16-2018, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas01 View Post
then you have google play and amazon, which aren't available through the 5100 afaik...
If you prefer mobile apps then look in the Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming section for the Chromecast Audio thread. You can add one of these to your 5100 and use many apps, including Amazon, to cast your favorite provider. I use a optical cable between the CCA and the 5100. One end of the optical cable needs to be a 3.5 mm type or use an adapter. The CCA is wireless but Google sells a power supply that can be used with CCA that allows the use of wired ethernet. Currently look at the end of the CCA thread where I posted a test and the best settings for the CCA.
post #3939 of 4417 Old 05-16-2018, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Forgot to mention the built in app called vTuner. Many, many radio stations and streaming services are available via vTuner. Their are several free (with ads) premium (paid with no ads) sources here.
aeneas01 likes this.
post #3940 of 4417 Old 05-16-2018, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you prefer mobile apps then look in the Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming section for the Chromecast Audio thread. You can add one of these to your 5100 and use many apps, including Amazon, to cast your favorite provider. I use a optical cable between the CCA and the 5100. One end of the optical cable needs to be a 3.5 mm type or use an adapter. The CCA is wireless but Google sells a power supply that can be used with CCA that allows the use of wired ethernet. Currently look at the end of the CCA thread where I posted a test and the best settings for the CCA.
you know what, after getting past a lot of of posts expressing dissatisfaction with the device in the cca thread, and reading the positive posts, along with watching a few product review vids, the cca seems to be exactly what i'm looking for, a simple "whatever app you've launched and are streaming on your android device will stream, via wifi, to the 5100" proposition.... i thought i might be close when i recently demoed a bunch of upnp and dlna apps, even closer when i revisited musiccast, but in the end they all have big gaps imo, forcing you to have a different music playing routine depending on the source you choose (directly from an app, launching musiccast to stream, etc...)... anyway, i just ordered one, thanks for the recommendation!

btw, do you have any issues with the 5100 going into standby when using cca? my first stab was a mini pc for music directly connected to my 5100 via hdmi, but when i stopped an app stream, spotify for example, the 5100 refused to go into standby... but if i launched the same app (spotify) in the mini pc, and instead used direct connect to the yamaha (as opposed to hdmi out), the 5100 would have no prob going into standby when i stopped the stream.
post #3941 of 4417 Old 05-17-2018, 12:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
you know what, after getting past a lot of of posts expressing dissatisfaction with the device in the cca thread, and reading the positive posts, along with watching a few product review vids, the cca seems to be exactly what i'm looking for, a simple "whatever app you've launched and are streaming on your android device will stream, via wifi, to the 5100" proposition.... i thought i might be close when i recently demoed a bunch of upnp and dlna apps, even closer when i revisited musiccast, but in the end they all have big gaps imo, forcing you to have a different music playing routine depending on the source you choose (directly from an app, launching musiccast to stream, etc...)... anyway, i just ordered one, thanks for the recommendation!

btw, do you have any issues with the 5100 going into standby when using cca? my first stab was a mini pc for music directly connected to my 5100 via hdmi, but when i stopped an app stream, spotify for example, the 5100 refused to go into standby... but if i launched the same app (spotify) in the mini pc, and instead used direct connect to the yamaha (as opposed to hdmi out), the 5100 would have no prob going into standby when i stopped the stream.
Since the only way to connect a PC via HDMI also includes video signals, as long as the PC is on, the A5100 won't go into standby mode. It's getting a continuous video feed, so keeps its cicruitry active. It doesn't matter that your intention is to send audio vid HDMI, because video gets sent too, even if no audio is being passed anymore. There's no workaround for that - that's how HDMI works. You'd need something like an Oppo blu-ray player to get HDMI audio w/o video (I believe they actually had a dedicated HDMI just for that purpose). I bet if you were to sleep the PC, then the A5100 would go into standby mode. But not as long as the PC is powered on and awake.

Now for my own question: Does anyone here know the power output specs for the headphone jack on the front of the A5100? Yamaha doesn't post any actual usable specs on that connector like they used to back in the HTR-5860 days. Would be nice to know the specs on that.

When a Priest says they're going to Flash you, it isn't for healing.

post #3942 of 4417 Old 05-17-2018, 02:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post
Since the only way to connect a PC via HDMI also includes video signals, as long as the PC is on, the A5100 won't go into standby mode. It's getting a continuous video feed, so keeps its cicruitry active. It doesn't matter that your intention is to send audio vid HDMI, because video gets sent too, even if no audio is being passed anymore. There's no workaround for that - that's how HDMI works. You'd need something like an Oppo blu-ray player to get HDMI audio w/o video (I believe they actually had a dedicated HDMI just for that purpose). I bet if you were to sleep the PC, then the A5100 would go into standby mode. But not as long as the PC is powered on and awake.
intuitively that makes sense... but i have two pcs connected to the 5100 via hdmi, one for music (which i'm in the process of replacing), and one for movies, i.e. av2 and av3... if i switch inputs to the movie pc, which is set up identically to the music pc, the 5100 has no prob going into standby when the movie is stopped.

fwiw, i have both pcs set up as follows: turn off display: never, put the computer to sleep: never... with these setups the 5100 won't go into standby when the music input is selected, but will go into standby when the movie input is selected... i also, as a test, set the power options, display and computer, to sleep for both pcs, and the 5100 still won't go into standby when the music input is selected.

and, finally, a few months back i also had a shield pro connected via hdmi, av 4, and the 5100 would go into standby when the input was selected, regardless if i set the shield to sleep or not.

as i mentioned earlier, the 5100 will go into standby when the music input is selected, if i use spotify connect, regardless if the power option is set to never or sleep, but the 5100 won't go into standby when i use the spotify app to stream through the pc.
post #3943 of 4417 Old 05-17-2018, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
intuitively that makes sense... but i have two pcs connected to the 5100 via hdmi, one for music (which i'm in the process of replacing), and one for movies, i.e. av2 and av3... if i switch inputs to the movie pc, which is set up identically to the music pc, the 5100 has no prob going into standby when the movie is stopped.

fwiw, i have both pcs set up as follows: turn off display: never, put the computer to sleep: never... with these setups the 5100 won't go into standby when the music input is selected, but will go into standby when the movie input is selected... i also, as a test, set the power options, display and computer, to sleep for both pcs, and the 5100 still won't go into standby when the music input is selected.

and, finally, a few months back i also had a shield pro connected via hdmi, av 4, and the 5100 would go into standby when the input was selected, regardless if i set the shield to sleep or not.

as i mentioned earlier, the 5100 will go into standby when the music input is selected, if i use spotify connect, regardless if the power option is set to never or sleep, but the 5100 won't go into standby when i use the spotify app to stream through the pc.
Which outputs are you using on the rear of the two computers? By that I mean on the GPU or the IGP? And on the computer that does sleep, are you using dual output, meaning GPU for display, but IGP for audio? I'd like to narrow down what's causing the issue with the 5100 not going into standby since all of its inputs should behave identically, which indicate it's a computer side cause. Since I do tech support for computers, this would be something new I could put in my knowledge cap.

I think I know why the 5100 goes into standby when regular spotify connect is used. When that's accessed, the 5100's built in spotify functionality is invoked, as it is a device that supports spotify natively. In that case, it receives data through network (hardwired or wifi). If you're connecting via wifi for the spotify connect, once that signal stops, the unit would be able to go into standby mode. But if streamed from the PC, because of the nature of how PCs constantly send out probes (basically network polling packets), the unit never goes to sleep because of LAN activity. Keep in mind that this assumes you're referring to the auto standby functionality as listed on page 142 of the user manual. If the music is stopped in the streaming app but the app itself is left open, it will continue to search for available devices until the app itself is completely closed, whereas using spotify connect, whatever device is the sender stops once the command is given to stop playback (since the devices connected are usually mobile, to save power these apps/devices usually kill network connections when not actively sending data).

Also, have you tried actually forcing your music computer to sleep and waiting for the auto-standby timer to kick in? I'm assuming you have yours set to 20 minutes, so it shouldn't be too hard to try this out. What I'm looking for here is whether or not something is keeping the LAN connection alive on the PC. Basically something akin to Apple's "power nap" mode, which can do things like search for updates when the computer is asleep and grab them in low power mode.

post #3944 of 4417 Old 05-17-2018, 09:16 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1992 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
Quote:
All HDMI audio is accompanied by a video signal so I am not sure the Oppo or any other HDMI Audio/Video splitter will address this problem.

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
post #3945 of 4417 Old 05-18-2018, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Roku Ultra issue

Okay, here is my system, then I will ask my question Roku Ultra, Yamaha CXA-5100 pre amp, Yamaha MXA-5000 AMP, JVC RS620 projector, control 4 control system/remote Issue is ROKU will not "turn on" when starting up with ROKU as first source. I get blank 'no input" screen. The only way to get ROKU up and running is to switch sources, for example to Appl TV, and then back to ROKU and its up and running. We thought maybe it was an "auto detect" issue with display type in ROKU. I change the ROKU to default to 4K 60hz HDR, which is what auto detect is detecting, which is correct. This not only does not solve the problem, but when I go back into ROKU, it reverts back to auto detect. It will not save any settings and reverts back to auto detect. I replaced the ROKU with a brand new one last night, same issue, so clearly not a dysfunctional ROKU unit. I am able to play everything correctly with ROKU once its up and running, including appropriate 4K and HDR source material without issue. would love some help on why display setting not storing and what may be preventing ROKU from starting up without having to switch input....My concern is a compatibility issue with either my Yamaha or my JVC projector. My installer of my system has similar setup with JVC and different pre amp, and they did not have issue.....
update——— when running roku directly to projector and bypassing cxa5100 everyth8ng works perfectly..... seems to be a Yamaha issue??
post #3946 of 4417 Old 05-18-2018, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewaw View Post
when running roku directly to projector and bypassing cxa5100 everyth8ng works perfectly..... seems to be a Yamaha issue??
Had issues with UHD switching with my combination of equipment so I procured a external switcher that solved my switching problems. The Oppo and Sony have two HDMI outs so using a external switcher does not present a problem. Do not have any problems with the 5100 switching 1080i or 1080p sources.
post #3947 of 4417 Old 05-18-2018, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Which outputs are you using on the rear of the two computers? By that I mean on the GPU or the IGP? And on the computer that does sleep, are you using dual output, meaning GPU for display, but IGP for audio? I'd like to narrow down what's causing the issue with the 5100 not going into standby since all of its inputs should behave identically, which indicate it's a computer side cause. Since I do tech support for computers, this would be something new I could put in my knowledge cap.

I think I know why the 5100 goes into standby when regular spotify connect is used. When that's accessed, the 5100's built in spotify functionality is invoked, as it is a device that supports spotify natively. In that case, it receives data through network (hardwired or wifi). If you're connecting via wifi for the spotify connect, once that signal stops, the unit would be able to go into standby mode. But if streamed from the PC, because of the nature of how PCs constantly send out probes (basically network polling packets), the unit never goes to sleep because of LAN activity. Keep in mind that this assumes you're referring to the auto standby functionality as listed on page 142 of the user manual. If the music is stopped in the streaming app but the app itself is left open, it will continue to search for available devices until the app itself is completely closed, whereas using spotify connect, whatever device is the sender stops once the command is given to stop playback (since the devices connected are usually mobile, to save power these apps/devices usually kill network connections when not actively sending data).

Also, have you tried actually forcing your music computer to sleep and waiting for the auto-standby timer to kick in? I'm assuming you have yours set to 20 minutes, so it shouldn't be too hard to try this out. What I'm looking for here is whether or not something is keeping the LAN connection alive on the PC. Basically something akin to Apple's "power nap" mode, which can do things like search for updates when the computer is asleep and grab them in low power mode.
both pcs use igp, no gpu in either, both are connected via hdmi to the 5100, the movie pc will allow the 5100 to go into standby, when power settings for display and computer are set never sleep...spent some time with yamaha tech this morning, apparently they're aware of this, was told the only "workaround" is setting standby to 2 hours, altho he did admit it wasn't much of a workaround... and as i mentioned, the music pc will allow the 5100 to go into standby when spotify connect is used, even when power options are set to never sleep, even tho it's still connected to the 5100 via hdmi, sending a video signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland
Had issues with UHD switching with my combination of equipment so I procured a external switcher that solved my switching problems. The Oppo and Sony have two HDMI outs so using a external switcher does not present a problem. Do not have any problems with the 5100 switching 1080i or 1080p sources.
i decided to do the same thing a couple of months ago, went with the "blackbird 4k pro 4x1 ultra slim hdmi switch, hdr, [email protected], hdcp 2" from monoprice, but shelved it after two weeks because changing inputs was grueling, painfully slow... in fact i haven't had any probs with the 5100 switching uhd, i was just looking for a quicker switch that made the process seem more seamless, was told i would get that from the blackbird, instead the blackbird made the 5100 seem lightning fast! so if anyone is interested in a very lightly used $100 4k switch at a discount, drop me a note!
post #3948 of 4417 Old 05-18-2018, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

@aeneas01 , is the music PC connected to the A5100 at all via wifi or LAN? That is, is it paired in any way with the prepro other than via the HDMI connection?

post #3949 of 4417 Old 05-18-2018, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
@aeneas01 , is the music PC connected to the A5100 at all via wifi or LAN? That is, is it paired in any way with the prepro other than via the HDMI connection?
both the movie pc and music pc are connected to my network via ethernet, as is the 5100, and both pcs are connected to the 5100 via hdmi (identical hdmi cables, brand/length)... anyway, it's moot now, i'm replacing the music pc with an android tablet (galaxy view), much snappier, jury is still out on whether or not i can get digital out from the 3.5mm jack, have a mini toslink to toslink cable on the way, if not i'll use usb out for audio to the 5100...
post #3950 of 4417 Old 05-20-2018, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

I kinda wish there was a way to assign the outputs like you can the amps on the AVR models. That is, on the AVR it lets you "bi-amp" by allowing you to select the surround back channels to connect the second set of binding posts. The equivalant would be allowing you to output the front L/R signals through the surround back channels, obviously negating them for actual surround usage of course. Would at least have meant I didn't need XLR splitter cables for those two channels. I know the MX-A5000 has a built in option for that, but I'm not going to be using that amp. I'll be using a Monolith M7X with no such option built in.

post #3951 of 4417 Old 05-21-2018, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Good day everyone. Having read through the entire thread and realizing my question is totally subjective(and I’m in the Yamaha forum), is the Yamaha CX A5100 still a viable processor? My specific concerns are the sound quality with/without ypao and ypao calibration and the process to get around the issue with bass eq. I’ve read the comparison posts with other products. I’m currently a Denon 7200 owner. I’m considering the Yamaha, new Marantz and Denon. Also, would you buy the 5100 again. Thank you.

Klipsch: RF-7III, RC64III, R-115SW(2)
Sony VPL HW40es....Coming Soon....JVC DLA RS540/X790👍
Marantz AV8805, Emotiva XPA-11
Panasonic UB820
PS4 and Xbox One X
post #3952 of 4417 Old 05-21-2018, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Six View Post
... would you buy the 5100 again.
Yes, I would buy it again. It has been and continues to be a great product IMHO.
bwillcox and promike like this.
post #3953 of 4417 Old 05-21-2018, 01:50 PM

CX A5100 still recommended?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisGJ View Post
Yes, I would buy it again. It has been and continues to be a great product IMHO.
Thank you for your reply. Can you describe how it sounds to your ears? Do you run ypao? And if so, how do you manage bass eq? I understand that you can change it from 31Hz to 15Hz but don’t you need a different microphone and download REW? Thank you.

Panasonic UB820
PS4 and Xbox One X
post #3954 of 4417 Old 05-21-2018, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Thank you for your reply. Can you describe how it sounds to your ears? Do you run ypao? And if so, how do you manage bass eq? I understand that you can change it from 31Hz to 15Hz but don’t you need a different microphone and download REW? Thank you.
There are folks here far more expert than I who can better address your questions. But, yes, I ran YPAO. I have Velodyne subwoofers that have their own EQ technology, which I use.

How it sounds to my ears ... great. I have an ATMOS configuration; movies can sound fantastic.
post #3955 of 4417 Old 05-21-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisGJ View Post
There are folks here far more expert than I who can better address your questions. But, yes, I ran YPAO. I have Velodyne subwoofers that have their own EQ technology, which I use.

How it sounds to my ears ... great. I have an ATMOS configuration; movies can sound fantastic.
Once again, thank you for your reply. Unfortunately my subs don’t have their own eq technology but I’m made to understand I can eq my subs manually through the 5100. Thanks again.

Panasonic UB820
PS4 and Xbox One X
post #3956 of 4417 Old 05-22-2018, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked: 540
Quote:
Just to add my experiences, I've been very happy with my CX-A5100 (had it since it was first available). I do run YPAO and typically do 3 to 5 position measurement, fairly close together at the main listening location. I haven't tried doing the 15Hz EQ stuff, others that have can better answer questions regarding that. In my environment, with my subwoofers and their location I have been very pleased with their bass performance.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #3957 of 4417 Old 05-22-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Just to add my experiences, I've been very happy with my CX-A5100 (had it since it was first available). I do run YPAO and typically do 3 to 5 position measurement, fairly close together at the main listening location. I haven't tried doing the 15Hz EQ stuff, others that have can better answer questions regarding that. In my environment, with my subwoofers and their location I have been very pleased with their bass performance.
Thank you for your response. Would you say ypao does a good job with your room and subs? Thanks
post #3958 of 4417 Old 05-22-2018, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you for your response. Would you say ypao does a good job with your room and subs? Thanks
This is going to ultimately depend on what your ears hear in your own setup. It's well known that YPAO does not EQ below 31 Hz, requiring manual EQ trial and error or for a more accurate room EQ, using the sub's own EQ tech on its own, before or after YPAO is run (doesn't matter when since the sub's room EQ tech is independent of the AVR/Prepro's room EQ). Bottom line is, if you want to get the best sound you can out of your sub, use its own EQ capabilities first. You can always adjust phase and trim afterward to blend it in with your system.

post #3959 of 4417 Old 05-23-2018, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 169
@Cinema Six
don't get fooled by the PEQ and what people say...
the YPAO correction uses two parts:
a) PEQ
user visible and adjustable
b) R.S.C.
not even visible to the user and not adjustable

the "detail correction" is fully done by the R.S.C. part and YPAO uses the PEQ for a kind of envelope curve adjustment only!
so what you (or Yamaha owners) see from the PEQ settings doesn't show the full picture, not even close to it, since the main part (R.S.C.) is hidden.
but somehow the PEQ and R.S.C. are working together. If the R.S.C. "detail correction" causes a slope this is corrected with the PEQ. You shouldn't replace the YPAO PEQ settings with ones calculated by e.g. REW. They will not fit the R.S.C. part.

having this clarified, unfortunately there is NO R.S.C. part for the Subwoofer correction
R.S.C. is active for the other speakers only.

in my opinion and from my experiences/measurements (i own the CX-A5100, Marantz 7009 with XT32 connected both to the MX-A and a Antimode 2.0 DC for a Double Bass) apart the subwoofers the YPAO (incl. R.S.C.) outperforms the XT32. In combination with the Antimode for the Subwoofers it is "perfect".

i can't see any real competition for the CX-A, if you wish to have the DSP modes incl. Dialog-Lift.
Nemesis.ie likes this.
post #3960 of 4417 Old 05-23-2018, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Mouse View Post
@Cinema Six
don't get fooled by the PEQ and what people say...
the YPAO correction uses two parts:
a) PEQ
user visible and adjustable
b) R.S.C.
not even visible to the user and not adjustable

the "detail correction" is fully done by the R.S.C. part and YPAO uses the PEQ for a kind of envelope curve adjustment only!
so what you (or Yamaha owners) see from the PEQ settings doesn't show the full picture, not even close to it, since the main part (R.S.C.) is hidden.
but somehow the PEQ and R.S.C. are working together. If the R.S.C. "detail correction" causes a slope this is corrected with the PEQ. You shouldn't replace the YPAO PEQ settings with ones calculated by e.g. REW. They will not fit the R.S.C. part.

having this clarified, unfortunately there is NO R.S.C. part for the Subwoofer correction
R.S.C. is active for the other speakers only.

in my opinion and from my experiences/measurements (i own the CX-A5100, Marantz 7009 with XT32 connected both to the MX-A and a Antimode 2.0 DC for a Double Bass) apart the subwoofers the YPAO (incl. R.S.C.) outperforms the XT32. In combination with the Antimode for the Subwoofers it is "perfect".

i can't see any real competition for the CX-A, if you wish to have the DSP modes incl. Dialog-Lift.
Hey Mickey. Love your parks!

Can you explain the double bass and associated hardware?

JVC X750R Projector,Yamaha CX-A5200 Pre-Pro, Yamaha RX-Z11 Receiver, (Amps Only) Yamaha MX-D1 Power Amps x 2, Yamaha RX-Z1 (L&R Surround Channel Amp), Oppo BDP-103D BR, Panasonic DP-UB820 UHD, Pioneer Elite CLD-99 LD, Definitive Tech BP7000SC Mains, CLR3000 Center, BPVX Surround Sides&Backs, BPX F&R Presence, Martin Logan Abyss Front L&R Subs/Dynamo L&R Rear Surround Channel Subs, Infinity SSW-210 Center Channel Sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
CX-A5100

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page