The "Official" Yamaha CX-A5100 AVP Owners thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4236Likes

post #61 of 4473 Old 08-23-2015, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked: 329
From the CX-A5100 New Product Bulletin:

Quote:
True sense of realism produced by the
next-generation CINEMA DSP HD3,
compatible with all the latest formats

The CX-A5100 supports the latest surround
sound playback formats such as Dolby Atmos
and DTS:X. In addition to conventional
channel-based audio, it is possible to create a
3D space in which separate acoustic elements
can move freely, giving a sensation of the
motion of “objects” above the viewer’s head
that fully realises the filmmaker’s intentions.
What’s more, the revamped CINEMA DSP HD3
features newly developed signal processing
algorithms to increase their appeal even
further.
With three sets of high performance
processors for CINEMA DSP, it is possible to
maximise the theatre sound effect, accurately
reproducing a new dimension of realism for a
sound field with a rich sense of presence unlike
any system you’ve ever experienced. And by
supplementing the limited number of speakers
in a home system with CINEMA DSP to create
the effect of a movie theatre space with a
large number of speakers, you can experience
a realistic cinema sound field with the sense of
truly being immersed in a movie scene.
_
Craig Mecak, ellisr63 and bwillcox like this.

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 4473 Old 08-23-2015, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 373
33 DSP Programs, Including 10 Introduced in the Flagship RX-Z11 Receiver
The broad array of surround sound programs include 10 original sound programs featured in the flagship RX-Z11 receiver along with other DSP programs for movies, sports, music videos, concert halls and action / role playing games. Additionally, these 33 DSP programs are compatible with Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X™ surround formats to allow you to hear the full potential of every movie and music source.
post #63 of 4473 Old 08-23-2015, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 4
[quote=jdsmoothie;36713346]Where did you read the highlighted? Yamaha hasn't published the CX-A5100 manual on their website yet, but as the A2050/A3050 manual notes in the image below that Cinema DSP cannot be used with Atmos, it is also unlikely that the CX-A5100 can do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollon1980 View Post
It can overlay Cinema DSP over Atmos unlike the 3050.

If you have a look at the feature descriptions on the website, it mentions it. Secondly if you have a look at the pictures, the cx-a5100 is the only one shown with Atmos and Cinema DSP HD3 being lit up on the front panel at the same time. The pictures for the other models only have Atmos. :-)

I'm not sure if this helps but here is a copy form there web site:

True Sense of Realism Produced by the Next-Generation CINEMA DSP HD3, Compatible With All the Latest Formats

The CX-A5100 supports the latest surround sound playback formats such as Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X™. In addition to conventional channel-based audio, it is possible to create a 3D space in which separate acoustic elements can move freely, giving a sensation of the motion of “objects” above the viewers head that fully realizes the filmmaker’s intentions. What’s more, the revamped CINEMA DSP HD3 features newly developed signal processing algorithms to maximize the theater’s sound effect, accurately reproducing a new dimension of realism with a rich sense of presence unlike any system you’ve ever experienced. By supplementing the limited number of speakers in a home system, CINEMA DSP creates the effect of a movie theater’s size with a large number of speakers. Experience a realistic cinema sound field and truly become immersed in the moment of your favorite movie scene.

The broad array of surround sound programs include 10 original sound programs featured in the flagship RX-Z11 receiver along with other DSP programs for movies, sports, music videos, concert halls and action / role playing games. Additionally, these 33 DSP programs are compatible with Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X™ surround formats to allow you to hear the full potential of every movie and music source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 4473 Old 08-23-2015, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejedi123 View Post
Thats cool.. i also read that it has a better Volume IC and it can do Cinema DSP overlaid over the Atmos and DTS X...
Can you please explain what better Volume IC means? Second question about Cinema DSP does it mean Dialog Lift will ne possible on Atmos and DTS X Tracks ?
post #65 of 4473 Old 08-23-2015, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 853 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24628 Post(s)
Liked: 13851
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollon1980 View Post
It can overlay Cinema DSP over Atmos unlike the 3050.

If you have a look at the feature descriptions on the website, it mentions it. Secondly if you have a look at the pictures, the cx-a5100 is the only one shown with Atmos and Cinema DSP HD3 being lit up on the front panel at the same time. The pictures for the other models only have Atmos. :-)
[quote=sal7of9;36717298]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Where did you read the highlighted? Yamaha hasn't published the CX-A5100 manual on their website yet, but as the A2050/A3050 manual notes in the image below that Cinema DSP cannot be used with Atmos, it is also unlikely that the CX-A5100 can do this.

I'm not sure if this helps but here is a copy form there web site:

True Sense of Realism Produced by the Next-Generation CINEMA DSP HD3, Compatible With All the Latest Formats

The CX-A5100 supports the latest surround sound playback formats such as Dolby Atmos® and DTS:X™. In addition to conventional channel-based audio, it is possible to create a 3D space in which separate acoustic elements can move freely, giving a sensation of the motion of “objects” above the viewers head that fully realizes the filmmaker’s intentions. What’s more, the revamped CINEMA DSP HD3 features newly developed signal processing algorithms to maximize the theater’s sound effect, accurately reproducing a new dimension of realism with a rich sense of presence unlike any system you’ve ever experienced. By supplementing the limited number of speakers in a home system, CINEMA DSP creates the effect of a movie theater’s size with a large number of speakers. Experience a realistic cinema sound field and truly become immersed in the moment of your favorite movie scene.

So then, yes, it does indeed appear that the CX-A5100 will be able to use CINEMA DSP HD3 over Atmos/DTS:X. Another step up feature over the A3050.
post #66 of 4473 Old 08-23-2015, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Features unique to the 5100 vs the rest of the Yamaha line up:

64 bit YPAO
More dsp modes
Cinema dsp overlaid atoms/dts x
Balanced pre outs and two inputs
9016 DACs on all channels
New volume IC

A description I found not related to Yamaha but maybe relevant. "In addition to volume control, the IC includes all functions required for controlling sound quality to allow more compact designs with far fewer components."
ellisr63 and mikejedi123 like this.
post #67 of 4473 Old 08-23-2015, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1417 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post
Features unique to the 5100 vs the rest of the Yamaha line up:

64 bit YPAO
More dsp modes
Cinema dsp overlaid atoms/dts x
Balanced pre outs and two inputs
9016 DACs on all channels
New volume IC
Any word on loudness compensation with Atmos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post
A description I found not related to Yamaha but maybe relevant. "In addition to volume control, the IC includes all functions required for controlling sound quality to allow more compact designs with far fewer components."
All that means is that it uses an AVR-LSI. That is to say, it's an ampless AVR and not a discrete pre-pro.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #68 of 4473 Old 08-23-2015, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Wouldn't it be a bit more than just an Ampless AVR? I would imagine not having the amps in the box helps the sound quality a little bit at least?
post #69 of 4473 Old 08-24-2015, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post
Any word on loudness compensation with Atmos?

All that means is that it uses an AVR-LSI. That is to say, it's an ampless AVR and not a discrete pre-pro.
Not sure about loudness compensation.
post #70 of 4473 Old 08-24-2015, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1417 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Quote:
Wouldn't it be a bit more than just an Ampless AVR?
No. Now, it may have features beyond their top AVR, but in terms of audio signal path it is no different.

Quote:
I would imagine not having the amps in the box helps the sound quality a little bit at least?
Many people imagine that, but reality does not agree with their imaginations.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 

Last edited by DS-21; 08-24-2015 at 05:18 PM.
post #71 of 4473 Old 08-24-2015, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 3
So, if I am contemplating a 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos configuration, the CX-A5100 in tandem with MX-A5000, I will have all the channels necessary. No need for an additional amplifier? I would have the CX-A5100 carry the two subs with their own amps.
post #72 of 4473 Old 08-24-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamwade50 View Post
So, if I am contemplating a 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos configuration, the CX-A5100 in tandem with MX-A5000, I will have all the channels necessary. No need for an additional amplifier? I would have the CX-A5100 carry the two subs with their own amps.
Correct. No additional amp required.
post #73 of 4473 Old 08-24-2015, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Thanks, JD
post #74 of 4473 Old 08-26-2015, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2318 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
No. Now, it may have features beyond their top AVR, but in terms of audio signal path it is no different.

LOL...agreed

if anyone thinks that the top end Asian made AVRs and their pre/pros dont share at least 99% of the same components they are not looking at reality

Warren

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 2 Sony 49x900E Denon X7200 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Sony 55x930E Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
post #75 of 4473 Old 08-26-2015, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyTurbo View Post
Can you please explain what better Volume IC means? Second question about Cinema DSP does it mean Dialog Lift will ne possible on Atmos and DTS X Tracks ?

The typical volume control IC's used in most pre-pros, and AV receivers, can handle very little voltage. They are challenged by the 2v from a CD player singled ended, and definitely by the 4v from a balanced output. They will add distortion at these levels. Often the analog inputs are attenuated before reaching the volume control to fit the signal within the limits imposed by the volume control IC. This attenuation reduces the signal to noise ratio. In line with the input limitations, these limited volume control IC's also have a limited output voltage range, and limited ability to drive a variety of amplifiers.

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that Yamaha is using better volume control IC's that can handle higher voltage inputs and have more robust outputs. Repeat, this is only a guess. Better volume control IC's cost a little more, and also require a higher voltage power supply, than the lower quality IC's, which will add a small amount to cost if it isn't already present for some other use. Better volume control IC's are a worthwhile improvement if they are implemented.
ellisr63 and 802Diamond like this.
post #76 of 4473 Old 08-26-2015, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Looking at the specs it shows:

Balanced Output:
8v max (except for sub)
13v max for sub

I don't recall ever seeing 18v output for any AVP before.
post #77 of 4473 Old 08-26-2015, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
Looking at the specs it shows:

Balanced Output:
8v max (except for sub)
13v max for sub

I don't recall ever seeing 18v output for any AVP before.

These higher voltage output levels likely relate to the question on the volume control above. The CX-A5100 evidently has more headroom than most pre-pro's, especially in this price range. A volume control, and the rest of the signal chain, that can handle more voltage are what make this possible. Higher voltages means a better signal to noise ratio, all other things being equal. The previous CX-A5000 had excellent signal to noise characteristics as I remember tests that I saw. The A5100 should continue that excellent performance. I guess we'll find out in the future.

The Benchmark Media website has some information on this. More expensive products such as the Benchmark DAC's and Bryston Pre-Pro all use higher voltage levels to good advantage.
ellisr63 and 802Diamond like this.
post #78 of 4473 Old 08-26-2015, 03:19 PM
eha

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The manual has been posted at the Yamaha USA web site.
ellisr63, M Lo and wmlou88 like this.
post #79 of 4473 Old 08-26-2015, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by eha View Post
Thanks for the heads up, I've been waiting to download.
ellisr63 and eha like this.

Nabs17
post #80 of 4473 Old 08-26-2015, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

If I am not going to use YPAO... can I still use the Yamaha for bass management for my 2 subs or do i still need to use an external crossover?
post #81 of 4473 Old 08-27-2015, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks, first post updated with link.
eha likes this.
post #82 of 4473 Old 08-27-2015, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:
Wouldn't it be a bit more than just an Ampless AVR? I would imagine not having the amps in the box helps the sound quality a little bit at least?
Just as a humorous side bar: when someone announces that the amplifier "disconnect" or "second box" theory regarding a pre-amplifier "sounding better" because it doesn't house an internal amplifier, what do you suppose happens when that same signal is routed to a- wait for it- AMPLIFIER just inches away?

I use a preamp for my long powered speaker runs to accept XLRs, but I for one have never heard an identifable difference between an avr run within its limits and a separate pre and amp.

I think 99% of this stuff is theoretical talking points used to justify selling an amp-less receiver with XLRs and a few more bells and whistles more than anything else.

James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."
post #83 of 4473 Old 08-27-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked: 430
Quote:

haha, missed this.

+100.

James

My Parlor and Theatre: "Jimbo's Dugout" : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...re-parlor.html

Actual phone call (see pic to left):
 Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"
Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."
post #84 of 4473 Old 08-27-2015, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Hi JD,

in yamaha website, it says it support up to 7.1.4 for atmos, which means there is only one sub. But I saw from the picture there are two XLR sub out. Does it support 7.2.4? Why it can only support 7.1.4? Is it a typo? Thanks.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...a5100_black_u/
post #85 of 4473 Old 08-27-2015, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roudan View Post
Hi JD,

in yamaha website, it says it support up to 7.1.4 for atmos, which means there is only one sub. But I saw from the picture there are two XLR sub out. Does it support 7.2.4? Why it can only support 7.1.4? Is it a typo? Thanks.

Good question... All of the adverts I have seen for Atmos list only one sub. I plan to run 2 in a 7.2.4 setup. I wonder if it is just an oversight by Dolby when they list different configurations?
Roudan likes this.
post #86 of 4473 Old 08-27-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Hi JD,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
Good question... All of the adverts I have seen for Atmos list only one sub. I plan to run 2 in a 7.2.4 setup. I wonder if it is just an oversight by Dolby when they list different configurations?
Technically as there is only one LFE signal, 7.1.4 would be correct; however, if the unit has 2 sub pre-outs, as do all of the Aventage "A" models, you'll often see 7.2.4. The only 2 numbers that really matter are the 1st (floor speakers) and 3rd (height speakers).
ellisr63 and Roudan like this.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 08-28-2015 at 04:48 AM.
post #87 of 4473 Old 08-27-2015, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Technically as there is only one LFE signal, 7.1.4 would be correct; however, if the unit has 2 sub pre-outs, you'll often see 7.2.4. The only 2 numbers that really matter are the 1st (floor speakers) and 3rd (height speakers).
Thanks JD, so practically it can have 2 subs connected to it?
post #88 of 4473 Old 08-28-2015, 12:52 AM
eha

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Yes. And even though there is only one LFE signal, the CX-A5100 treats these individually when it comes to room correction (YPAO) too. Hence the mix-up between 7.2.4 and 7.1.4. Even though the latter is correct as there is only one signal, it's also "kind of 7.2.4" since the two subs will be measured and corrected independent of one another.

Let's call it 7.1(2).4 just to confuse everyone.
ellisr63, exojam and Roudan like this.
post #89 of 4473 Old 08-28-2015, 01:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yes. And even though there is only one LFE signal, the CX-A5100 treats these individually when it comes to room correction (YPAO) too. Hence the mix-up between 7.2.4 and 7.1.4. Even though the latter is correct as there is only one signal, it's also "kind of 7.2.4" since the two subs will be measured and corrected independent of one another.

Thanks eha. It clears now.
post #90 of 4473 Old 08-28-2015, 04:50 AM

Quote:

Measured for distance/delay and volume independently yes, but corrected together as one sub.
ellisr63 and Roudan like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
CX-A5100

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page