Yamaha Announces MusicCast Wireless Audio System - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 Old 08-20-2015, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger
 
imagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 15,900
Mentioned: 429 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9056 Post(s)
Liked: 15957
Yamaha Announces MusicCast Wireless Audio System



The new wireless ecosystem supports streaming services, high-resolution audio, and immersive-sound formats including Atmos and DTS:X.

-----

Yamaha's MusicCast brings comprehensive wireless whole-house audio capability to its AV offerings. With a firmware update, the company's current lineup of networked AVRs gains MusicCast capability—ten already-shipping AVRs support the feature, as does the YHT-5920 HTiB ($700).

In addition to the existing AVRs that just gained Sonos-like wireless capabilities, a complete ecosystem of new products is on its way this September. The new products range from wireless speakers to sound bars as well as a pre/pro and a Hi-Fi receiver.

Yamaha touts the system's support for hi-res audio formats, including PCM up to a 24-bit/192 kHz sampling rate as well as 5.6 MHz DSD content. Furthermore, the system is home-theater friendly and can even handle Dolby Atmos and DTS:X immersive-audio. The system also caters to the lifestyle audio crowd with 2-way support for Bluetooth. While the firmware update applies to the company's current AVR lineup, a slew of new products will help to create a comprehensive wireless ecosystem.

On the high end, the Aventage CX-A5100 pre/pro ($3000) will combine with Yamaha's MX-A5000 11-channel amp ($3000) to create a powerful 11-channel AV separates solution that incorporates MusicCast capability.

At the other end of the price spectrum are the RX-601 5.1-channel AVR ($650) and R-N602 Network Hi-Fi Receiver (S650), which comes out in October. Yamaha promises the R-N602 will offer the company's signature "natural sound," especially when combined with its forthcoming NX-500 powered monitor speakers ($800/pair) that will be available in December—more details on these products will be available soon.

Two new soundbars and a TV speaker base will join Yamaha's MusicCast offerings. The YSP-1600 ($500) soundbar and SRT-1500 TV speaker base ($600) are due in September while the YSP-5600 soundbar ($1700) is due in December.

The YSP-5600 is particularly notable because it supports Dolby Atmos and DTS:X using Yamaha's patented Digital Sound Projector technology, which relies on reflected sound to create a sense of immersion. I can't wait to audition this audacious AV accessory.

Yamaha will debut a wireless 2-way speaker—the MusicCast Speaker—this October. Priced at $250 per piece, it'll be available in either black or white/silver finishes. Stay tuned for more specifics.

Here's a brief video from Yamaha that offers a very basic overview of what MusicCast offers:

In all, Yamaha's MusicCast-compatible lineup will include 20 different products that embrace the convenience of Bluetooth and cloud-based streaming. And yet, the system also offers the quality audiophiles and home theater enthusiasts have come to expect from uncompressed hi-res formats—without wires! Does the prospect of upgrading to a wireless surround system appeal to you?



Like AVS Forum on Facebook
Follow AVS Forum on Twitter
+1 AVS Forum on Google+
Stecchino likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-27-2015 at 08:40 PM.
imagic is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 70 Old 08-20-2015, 10:22 AM
Member
 
802Diamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Great!

I have an ol' MusicCast MCX-1000. Curious if it will be compatible (through a firmware update) with the new ecosystem...?

802Diamond is offline  
post #3 of 70 Old 08-20-2015, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
They_call_me_Roto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Detroit Rock City
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Does the prospect of upgrading to a wireless surround system appeal to you?
Nope.

I seriously doubt that I will ever but into any wireless speaker system. The way I see it that wireless speakers require a power source, so rather than just routing speaker wire, you need to add outlets where ever you want speakers. There would be additional complexity for in-ceiling or in-wall speakers.

Aside from that issue, I would much rather have the freedom to mix and match speakers with various AVRs or amplifiers to achieve a sound that I appreciate. Once the speaker wires are run to the speaker locations, I can switch components at either end of the speaker wire to test different setups. I would not be tied to one specific manufacturer and only be able to use their product line just for the sake of going wireless.
Garman, ONDr, Kilgore and 3 others like this.

Packing a lot of sound into a small room.
268 square feet/2144 cubic feet
7.2 surround sound.
They_call_me_Roto is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 70 Old 08-20-2015, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Garman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The Moon
Posts: 7,319
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1878 Post(s)
Liked: 890
Wireless at best for me is just background music.... I have a Sonos system but I only use it for background music and never critical listening. Plus these days there is way too many wireless devices that are taxing peoples routers, I have fixed 3 systems in the last week just because they had way too much stuff going to them.
Kilgore and cogipro like this.

Last edited by Garman; 08-20-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Garman is offline  
post #5 of 70 Old 08-20-2015, 11:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 99
...Unless of course you happen to like Yamaha amps. They have receivers and 2-channel amps with MusicCast on board, so you can connect the speakers you like, and away you go.
Streaming HDMI audio, optical, RCA, USB, FM etc is going to be fun.
imagic likes this.
dunnersfella is offline  
post #6 of 70 Old 08-20-2015, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Leftardia Kommiefornia
Posts: 9,721
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 1150
LOL it's fun to watch the troggs blow an o ring every time "streaming" comes up in any flavor. Yeah wireless is definitely in my future, but how near in the future, will depend on some things. For now I wait and observe.
Gothamoddisee likes this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #7 of 70 Old 08-20-2015, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stitch1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,650
Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 318
I think it's great. Makes it very easy for when a friend comes over and want to show me a song or new band they have been listening to. Just cast it over from a phone. Plus you can have back ground music going on anywhere you have speakers. Very cool when cleaning your house or random home projects. As well as when you have large groups over.
stitch1 is offline  
post #8 of 70 Old 08-20-2015, 04:43 PM
Member
 
HTRAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I think it sounds very interesting. I own the MCX-2000 server and 2 of the MCX-A10 clients. I really enjoy this wireless music system a lot and hopefully that they come out with a update for this server as well.
HTRAK is offline  
post #9 of 70 Old 08-20-2015, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
nonstopdoc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 773
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Is there a list somewhere which lists all the old models that will receive firmware upgrade?

Update - Found it. My yamaha RX-A2030 is not on the upgrade list.
nonstopdoc1 is offline  
post #10 of 70 Old 08-21-2015, 06:26 AM
Senior Member
 
blu-dog-avs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 298
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
LOL it's fun to watch the troggs blow an o ring every time "streaming" comes up in any flavor. Yeah wireless is definitely in my future, but how near in the future, will depend on some things. For now I wait and observe.

"Troggs"....


Try powering up those speakers wirelessly. Let the troglodytes know when you have that figured out.
TorTorden likes this.
blu-dog-avs is offline  
post #11 of 70 Old 08-21-2015, 08:35 AM
Member
 
RochRx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I wonder how advanced wireless technology will be in only 10 years from now...

Wireless fidelity that matches our wired friends.. or close enough that there's no audible difference.. Skynet.. is now.
morbidcorpse likes this.

Denon X4100W | Chane A5rx-C | Klipsch RW12d
RochRx7 is offline  
post #12 of 70 Old 08-21-2015, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
hmunster2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post
Is there a list somewhere which lists all the old models that will receive firmware upgrade?

Update - Found it. My yamaha RX-A2030 is not on the upgrade list.
Please tell me where u found the site for the upgrade?
Thanks
Alfonzo Roman likes this.
hmunster2 is offline  
post #13 of 70 Old 08-22-2015, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HockeyoAJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,024
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 823
I'm curious about the Atmos compatibility with Music Cast. Does this mean that if I play a Blu-Ray movie with an Atmos soundtrack, I can use Music Cast to stream invidual channels of audio from the connected Yamaha AVR to as many separate wireless Yamaha speakers as I want, thereby eliminating the need for speaker wire in a home theater?
HockeyoAJB is offline  
post #14 of 70 Old 08-22-2015, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
nonstopdoc1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 773
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post
Please tell me where u found the site for the upgrade?
Thanks
I just checked all the supported devices in official Yamaha press release.

http://usa.yamaha.com/news_events/au..._home_theater/
nonstopdoc1 is offline  
post #15 of 70 Old 08-22-2015, 09:16 AM
Senior Member
 
TorTorden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by RochRx7 View Post
I wonder how advanced wireless technology will be in only 10 years from now...

Wireless fidelity that matches our wired friends.. or close enough that there's no audible difference.. Skynet.. is now.
Fidelity is merely a case of having enough bandwidth in the signal (and not too much RF noise), good enough DAC's and amplification built into the speakers.
So technically matching fidelity has been achievable for at least a decade if not more.

It's simply not practical, cause until we master wireless electrical power distribution you will need a wall socket to each speaker.

How the hell is that any better than running a single speaker wire ?
How many wires do you have into your speaker now, let me guess. It's a single cable isn't (if you Bi-amp you probably arent considering wireless anyways)?
How many cables does a wireless speaker need?
At least one, for power cause it has to have a pre and an amp built into each unit.

And if there is one thing we got plenty off in this day an age it's RF noise pollution, just indiscriminately adding radio based devices is only compounding the problem there is no infinite bandwidth around us even though the medium is practically invisible to us.
802Diamond and HockeyoAJB like this.
TorTorden is offline  
post #16 of 70 Old 08-23-2015, 04:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mastermaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,837
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 413
If this doesn't send multi channel audio (which is still unclear to me) it's all but redundant technology. Between bluetooth speakers - for streaming any music service to a wireless speaker- and an $80 apple tv to do the same with other media- what is this accomplishing? Slicker "look at me" stylings on an iphone? Goofy.

Now, wireless VIDEO would be a totally different ballgame as this currently obviously necessitates an HDMI connection anyway if you want video- which one assumes with ATMOS/surround sound
mastermaybe is offline  
post #17 of 70 Old 08-23-2015, 04:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mastermaybe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 7,837
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post
I think it's great. Makes it very easy for when a friend comes over and want to show me a song or new band they have been listening to. Just cast it over from a phone. Plus you can have back ground music going on anywhere you have speakers. Very cool when cleaning your house or random home projects. As well as when you have large groups over.
You've been able to do this via airplay or bluetooth for a decade now.

James
mastermaybe is offline  
post #18 of 70 Old 08-23-2015, 05:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Fishtank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I've actually been wondering for a few years why AVR manufacturers don't sell external "add-in amps" for surrounds or other zones.

Basically just an amp that accepts the processed wireless/LAN signal from the main avr that show up as internal amps back on the main AVR. I've seen a few 3rd party options etc but nice clean integrated solution would be amazing imo.
imagic, dkkruse and quizzicus like this.

Fishtank is offline  
post #19 of 70 Old 08-23-2015, 03:15 PM
Member
 
dkkruse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NoVA, USA
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtank View Post
I've actually been wondering for a few years why AVR manufacturers don't sell external "add-in amps" for surrounds or other zones.

Basically just an amp that accepts the processed wireless/LAN signal from the main avr that show up as internal amps back on the main AVR. I've seen a few 3rd party options etc but nice clean integrated solution would be amazing imo.
I totally agree, especially Denon with its HEOS system. Why doesn't it connect to their AVR's? For this reason, I'll probably go for the Yamaha. I've been looking for this. Bluetooth speakers all seem to sound like toys to me.
guppyman likes this.
dkkruse is offline  
post #20 of 70 Old 08-23-2015, 07:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 429
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I am still a little perplexed why Denon stopped developing their HEOS system to the point where it wasn't streaming content out of the AVR...
The next logical step is to make 'wireless' rear speakers that you can integrate into your AVR. The wireless WX030 speakers that have been announced could well do 'in a pinch'. It's not a speaker for a true AVR enthusiast, but anything that helps Joe Blow choose a receiver over a soundbar or home theatre in a box is a win in my books! Especially if those 'wireless rears' can be picked up, taken to another room and used as standalone units!
dunnersfella is offline  
post #21 of 70 Old 09-23-2015, 06:51 AM
Member
 
PKinSFLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South Florida
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnersfella View Post
I am still a little perplexed why Denon stopped developing their HEOS system to the point where it wasn't streaming content out of the AVR...
The next logical step is to make 'wireless' rear speakers that you can integrate into your AVR. The wireless WX030 speakers that have been announced could well do 'in a pinch'. It's not a speaker for a true AVR enthusiast, but anything that helps Joe Blow choose a receiver over a soundbar or home theatre in a box is a win in my books! Especially if those 'wireless rears' can be picked up, taken to another room and used as standalone units!
I am looking forward to this system from Yamaha. We recently lost a 24/7 classical music station here in SFLA and life has not been the same. I can stream stations from my I devices, but I liked the convenience of just playing music through my old 20 year old Onkyo reciever and using the sleep timer to shut it down later. The front panel light which is often out was great because I only had this set to one station and did not want the panel light bothering by dozing off.

My guess is that I could take a R-N602 for example, have it stream the station and then shut itself off . The price is a bit too much for a bedroom set up, but maybe there will be less expensive models or maybe I could look at an older model and use their upgrade.

I hope this system works trouble free as I was looking at a powered Sonos, but I like the idea of a traditional stereo receiver with radio and a cd input but not needing more add ons to use it. Life has to be simple .

If anyone upgrades an older product that is cheaper than the $649 list R-N602, please give a review . I could use two receivers in the house for a bedroom and family room systems for Sirius, Itunes and internet radio access.
PKinSFLA is offline  
post #22 of 70 Old 09-23-2015, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Carlsbad, Ca.
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKinSFLA View Post
I was looking at a powered Sonos, but I like the idea of a traditional stereo receiver with radio and a cd input but not needing more add ons to use it. Life has to be simple .
If anyone upgrades an older product that is cheaper than the $649 list R-N602, please give a review . I could use two receivers in the house for a bedroom and family room systems for Sirius, Itunes and internet radio access.
I spent about $2000 on Sonos gear and returned it all. i was really not impressed.
1. Sound quality wasn't nearly as good as speakers you can mix and match yourself.
2. The sounder sounds like a soundbar and only has on optical port and nothing else. I did like the subwoofer though. But $699 for the sounder and $699 for the subwoofer makes no sense. Doesn't sound like you are considering those though.
3. I easily replicated the Sonos multi-room functionality with Airplay. I can Airplay from many sources to speakers in every room at the same time. It was also far cheaper and I have my choice of speakers that sound much better than anything from Sonos.
4. Sonos gimps streaming services and does not provide full functionality.
I think you are much better off setting up an Airplay solution or using Yamaha's streaming for multi-room. You have much more choice of speakers and have more control at a much lower cost than Sonos.
802Diamond likes this.
SoCalCyclist is offline  
post #23 of 70 Old 09-23-2015, 10:34 AM
Member
 
PKinSFLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South Florida
Posts: 170
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was excited about Sonos Connect until I saw the $500 price for a powered unit for my bookshelf speakers and subwoofer. A receiver made more sense.

At one time I was thinking of a NAD 7050 for my college son until I saw the price. Instead, a Black Friday Pioneer Elite receiver with airplay for about 249 dollars made more sense and can grow with him if he wants video surround sound. I have that with the Insignia book shelf speakers NS-SP213 for 49 a pair unused open box, a floor model 10 inch energy sub closeout for 89 dollars from Greggs and a set of 10 foot Sewells Direct speaker cable with banan jacks from Amazon for 30 dollars. Total for the dorm room is under $450 and blows away everyone's silly blue tooth speakers by Bose and other companies. All of his music is from his computer or I phone either via Airplay or a USB cable .

The Yamaha Music Cast stereo receivers look attractive because I don't need 5 + channels but do need a sub output and the ability to get Sirius and internet radio without having an I device connected. We have an ethernet port in the room and If I can just control with my tablet and have the thing shut off after I fall asleep, I will be happy.

I think there is a missing part from the Audio companies for a simple, high quality stereo, not multi channel receiver for places where you want simplicity to access music from different sources and not spend a fortune. The future will have me getting a NAS and the Yamaha app looks like it could do what I want to do.

Can't wait for the first reviews from owners and different models to choose from.
PKinSFLA is offline  
post #24 of 70 Old 09-23-2015, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
HockeyoAJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 2,024
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCyclist View Post
I spent about $2000 on Sonos gear and returned it all. i was really not impressed.
1. Sound quality wasn't nearly as good as speakers you can mix and match yourself.
2. The sounder sounds like a soundbar and only has on optical port and nothing else. I did like the subwoofer though. But $699 for the sounder and $699 for the subwoofer makes no sense. Doesn't sound like you are considering those though.
3. I easily replicated the Sonos multi-room functionality with Airplay. I can Airplay from many sources to speakers in every room at the same time. It was also far cheaper and I have my choice of speakers that sound much better than anything from Sonos.
4. Sonos gimps streaming services and does not provide full functionality.
I think you are much better off setting up an Airplay solution or using Yamaha's streaming for multi-room. You have much more choice of speakers and have more control at a much lower cost than Sonos.
Some of your points are true, but the one about speaker options couldn't be further from the truth. With Sonos, you can use any speakers you want, provided you use a Connect:Amp or a Connect plus a separate amp to power them. You don't have to use the Play series of speakers at all in your Sonos system.

Also, as great as AirPlay is, I'm not aware of any Apple device that has analog (or digital) inputs that can take the audio from an external device (such as a Blu-Ray/SACD/DVD-A/CD player or even TV audio) and AirPlay it to speakers around the house. If you only AirPlay audio from your AirPlay compatible mobile device or PC then AirPlay can do everything you would need. But, if you want to be able to play audio from an external device that doesn't have AirPlay built in to any speaker in your house then you would need something along the lines of a Sonos Connect. Sonos, Denon, Yamaha, Bluesound, and Definitive Technology all have WHA setups that can do this.
HockeyoAJB is offline  
post #25 of 70 Old 09-23-2015, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Carlsbad, Ca.
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Some of your points are true, but the one about speaker options couldn't be further from the truth. With Sonos, you can use any speakers you want, provided you use a Connect:Amp or a Connect plus a separate amp to power them. You don't have to use the Play series of speakers at all in your Sonos system.

Also, as great as AirPlay is, I'm not aware of any Apple device that has analog (or digital) inputs that can take the audio from an external device (such as a Blu-Ray/SACD/DVD-A/CD player or even TV audio) and AirPlay it to speakers around the house. If you only AirPlay audio from your AirPlay compatible mobile device or PC then AirPlay can do everything you would need. But, if you want to be able to play audio from an external device that doesn't have AirPlay built in to any speaker in your house then you would need something along the lines of a Sonos Connect. Sonos, Denon, Yamaha, Bluesound, and Definitive Technology all have WHA setups that can do this.
From the truth? OK...yes I know about Connect Amp which is $499 and Connect which is $349 and requires an amp. Seriously...
If you want to Airplay to speakers the best bet is an Airport Express ($99) which plugs into speakers.
http://www.apple.com/airport-express/#airplay
Or an Apple TV ($69) to anything that has HDMI and the current version also has an optical port as well as HDMI.
There are also many Airplay devices on Amazon etc that do the same thing for less. Very easy and low cost to do.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ywords=airplay
I use Airfoil (Mac, PC, iOS, Android, Linux) to elect and play to Airplay sources around the house. You elect which sources you want to play to and what you want to play from like iTunes, Pandora, Spotify etc.There are other apps that do the same thing. You get full functionality not the Sonos version.
https://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/mac/
https://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/windows/
There are lots of articles about using Airplay everywhere in your house in this manner.
To me Sonos is really only for people who don't want to figure out receivers, speakers and their setup. They are way overpriced for what you get.
802Diamond likes this.
SoCalCyclist is offline  
post #26 of 70 Old 09-23-2015, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Carlsbad, Ca.
Posts: 527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKinSFLA View Post
I was excited about Sonos Connect until I saw the $500 price for a powered unit for my bookshelf speakers and subwoofer. A receiver made more sense.

At one time I was thinking of a NAD 7050 for my college son until I saw the price. Instead, a Black Friday Pioneer Elite receiver with airplay for about 249 dollars made more sense and can grow with him if he wants video surround sound. I have that with the Insignia book shelf speakers NS-SP213 for 49 a pair unused open box, a floor model 10 inch energy sub closeout for 89 dollars from Greggs and a set of 10 foot Sewells Direct speaker cable with banan jacks from Amazon for 30 dollars. Total for the dorm room is under $450 and blows away everyone's silly blue tooth speakers by Bose and other companies. All of his music is from his computer or I phone either via Airplay or a USB cable .

The Yamaha Music Cast stereo receivers look attractive because I don't need 5 + channels but do need a sub output and the ability to get Sirius and internet radio without having an I device connected. We have an ethernet port in the room and If I can just control with my tablet and have the thing shut off after I fall asleep, I will be happy.

I think there is a missing part from the Audio companies for a simple, high quality stereo, not multi channel receiver for places where you want simplicity to access music from different sources and not spend a fortune. The future will have me getting a NAS and the Yamaha app looks like it could do what I want to do.

Can't wait for the first reviews from owners and different models to choose from.
I was thinking a receiver was the way to go too. You can get an Airplay/Spotify/Pandora receiver fairly cheaply these days if you look around. I. using an Airport express connected to speakers in the bedroom but have a Yamaha 477 that I bought for $249 that I might use instead or with the Airport express plugged in to the ethernet port of the receiver.
SoCalCyclist is offline  
post #27 of 70 Old 10-18-2015, 10:53 PM
Member
 
10-SE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How to inititalize music cast connection on Yamaha AV receivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnersfella View Post

Linking AVR's seems to work well on MusicCast. I have sent Dolby True HD from an entry level 5.1 receiver (RXV479) to a RXV779, 7.1 dual zone AVR. Sending the audio to the main 5.1 zone of the RXV779 meant that it only received 2-channel PCM, not Dolby True HD.
Audio synch was fine, but I could always choose 'main synch' to correct it if there were issues. From there I could also send the audio to a bluetooth speaker. I didn't have volume control for the bluetooth speaker via the app... but I could use the speakers remote or physical volume buttons to control that. Sometimes, upon connecting, it would occasionally lag. Because there were two AVR's involved, I was actually able to send audio to 2 seperate bluetooth speakers!
The audio lag wasn't of much surprise as controlling a 3rd party bluetooth speaker is a bit of an ask for Yamaha...

Getting the audio to work on the second zone of the RXV779 required me to choose 'party mode'. This put both zones into synch automatically, with independant volume control for all zones... albeit, with the need for me to change 'room' to control the 2nd zone volume of the RXV779.

The handling of the lossless audio impressed me, as it left the main source unadulterated (full Dolby True HD), so the viewers in the main room wouldn't be inconvenienced whatsoever, while other people got to listen to the soundtrack in 2.0 PCM. I would see that as being very handy for listening to live sports commentary from ESPN, through out the house.

I'll be fascinated to see what other MusicCast devices come to market in the next year or so.
10-SE is offline  
post #28 of 70 Old 10-18-2015, 10:53 PM
Member
 
10-SE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How to inititalize music cast connection on Yamaha AV receivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnersfella View Post

Linking AVR's seems to work well on MusicCast. I have sent Dolby True HD from an entry level 5.1 receiver (RXV479) to a RXV779, 7.1 dual zone AVR. Sending the audio to the main 5.1 zone of the RXV779 meant that it only received 2-channel PCM, not Dolby True HD.
Audio synch was fine, but I could always choose 'main synch' to correct it if there were issues. From there I could also send the audio to a bluetooth speaker. I didn't have volume control for the bluetooth speaker via the app... but I could use the speakers remote or physical volume buttons to control that. Sometimes, upon connecting, it would occasionally lag. Because there were two AVR's involved, I was actually able to send audio to 2 seperate bluetooth speakers!
The audio lag wasn't of much surprise as controlling a 3rd party bluetooth speaker is a bit of an ask for Yamaha...

Getting the audio to work on the second zone of the RXV779 required me to choose 'party mode'. This put both zones into synch automatically, with independant volume control for all zones... albeit, with the need for me to change 'room' to control the 2nd zone volume of the RXV779.

The handling of the lossless audio impressed me, as it left the main source unadulterated (full Dolby True HD), so the viewers in the main room wouldn't be inconvenienced whatsoever, while other people got to listen to the soundtrack in 2.0 PCM. I would see that as being very handy for listening to live sports commentary from ESPN, through out the house.

I'll be fascinated to see what other MusicCast devices come to market in the next year or so.
10-SE is offline  
post #29 of 70 Old 10-18-2015, 10:54 PM
Member
 
10-SE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How do you commission the Yamaha receivers in the MusicCast App? Demo app says hold down connect button, but there is no connect button on new Yamaha receivers, and no music cast instructions in the user manual RX-A750. Maybe you press the WPS button.
10-SE is offline  
post #30 of 70 Old 10-18-2015, 11:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10-SE View Post
How do you commission the Yamaha receivers in the MusicCast App? Demo app says hold down connect button, but there is no connect button on new Yamaha receivers, and no music cast instructions in the user manual RX-A750. Maybe you press the WPS button.
If you look carefully at the front panel of the RX-A750, the "Straight" button in the bottom row has "(connect)" written below it. That "Straight" button is the connect button you have to press for 3 seconds. For the RX-A3050, Yamaha actually put a picture of the button location in the support tab on the website, but it seems they did not get around to it for the RX-A750. MusicCast setup should be pretty painless after you figure out the "(connect)" button.
C-ray628 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
frontpage

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off