Denon X3200W vs Pioneer SC-91 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-23-2015, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Denon X3200W vs Pioneer SC-91

Currently have the Pioneer Elite SC-91, been playing with it for 2 days - but per a few recommendations from this forum, I am considering a Denon. I am coming from an X1100W which crapped out and rubbed me the wrong way, but in terms of comparison for my current SC-91, something like the X3200W would offer more features (DTS:X and Audyssey vs MCACC) for the same price.

How do you guys think these would compare in terms of sound quality/clarity? I should note that I don't realistically have plans to tear up my walls for speaker additions beyond my current 5.1, so are these AVRs even worth the premium over something like an X1200W? Would I get any sort of benefit from a DTS:X/Atmos decoding receiver with only a 5.1 setup and normal speakers/sub?

Unless I just can't figure it out, the SC-91 doesn't seem to support each input having its own individual audio/ch level settings, where my X1100W (and I assume the new Denons) did. That does also contribute to the Denon consideration as I tend to want different sound from my BD and SAT/CAB inputs...

TLDR: In a strictly 5.1 setup, SC-91 vs X3200W vs X2200W vs X1200W vs [your suggestion], prefer Denon AVRs ability to have audio/ch level settings per each input, where Pioneer seems global only.

Last edited by keyweez360; 08-23-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-23-2015, 10:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I would say try listening to both to see what sounds better to you. Even if the denon x3200 doesnt sound quite as good as the pioneer sc 91, the denon certainly has room for upgrades. Things like 7.2 channel preouts is very important to me.

I'm not saying that the denon sounds worst than the pioneer, I'm just putting that as an example. I wouldn't know which one sounds better because I've never heard them.

So for me I would choose the denon avr x3200. I don't care musch for audyssey. Another option would be the Yamaha rx a850.

Each receiver will have a slightly different sound in pure direct mode. I have not heard any of the denon receivers starting with the x series. I own the older denon avr1913. The sound of the older denon avr1912 and avr1913 is smooth and neutral. I've read that the newer denon starting with the s and x series are little bit more edgier on the treble. The sound gets brighter as the volume increases. Even the reviewers say this.

It's totally up to you if you want more features on the denon avr x3200 . For me I would say the denon if it's just between the pioneer and denon. I would choose the Yamaha rx a850 if it's between these these 3.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-24-2015, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

Been reading through the X3200W specs and the lower models as well. To be honest, I don't need the AVR to do any upscaling -- All of my sources are digital to my TV, which does the 4K upscaling anyways. There would be a wattage difference between the X3200W and say, X1200W but is it one I'd be able to hear?

The SC-91 seems great, but I can't help but wonder if I've paid for features and capabilities I will never use. I can maybe foresee 5.2.2 or 5.1.2 in the future, but for now just 5.1. If the audio quality difference would be negligible going down to an X1200W and saving the extra cash, that may be something I am interested in. Or would there actually be a difference in clarity/quality?

Last edited by keyweez360; 08-24-2015 at 02:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-24-2015, 03:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 751 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22768 Post(s)
Liked: 12419
If you're not going to use the additional features/inputs/outputs on the X3200W, then yes, it makes sense to drop down to the X2200W or even X1200W as they all use the same version of Audyssey MultEQ XT and any power difference will be moot. All of these three models will also be receiving the new 3D immersive format DTS:X later this fall while the SC-91 will not. All three Denon "X" models also have a 3 year warranty while the SC-91 only has a 2 year warranty.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-24-2015, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
If you're not going to use the additional features/inputs/outputs on the X3200W, then yes, it makes sense to drop down to the X2200W or even X1200W as they all use the same version of Audyssey MultEQ XT and any power difference will be moot. All of these three models will also be receiving the new 3D immersive format DTS:X later this fall while the SC-91 will not. All three Denon "X" models also have a 3 year warranty while the SC-91 only has a 2 year warranty.
Seems like a clearer choice the more I read into it, and I was hoping you'd confirm. Question though, with the X Denons, is there any benefit at all to be gained from DTS:X and Atmos decoding with a normal 5.1 setup? Or would I need to add the extra two speakers for any sort of difference? Also, do you know anything about the Audyssey settings currently not functioning on some models like the X1200W? Trying to find more on that.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-24-2015, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyweez360 View Post
Seems like a clearer choice the more I read into it, and I was hoping you'd confirm. Question though, with the X Denons, is there any benefit at all to be gained from DTS:X and Atmos decoding with a normal 5.1 setup? Or would I need to add the extra two speakers for any sort of difference? Also, do you know anything about the Audyssey settings currently not functioning on some models like the X1200W? Trying to find more on that.
1. No benefit of either Atmos or DTS:X if you never plan to add the 2 height channels but rather just keep your 5.1 setup.
2. Those discussing an Audyssey issue appear to be using Europe based units only.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-24-2015, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
1. No benefit of either Atmos or DTS:X if you never plan to add the 2 height channels but rather just keep your 5.1 setup.
2. Those discussing an Audyssey issue appear to be using Europe based units only.
Swapped the SC-91 for the X1200W today, so far happy with it, especially the savings (on sale right now too!) but I've got a few questions

- Any way for me to verify the Audyssey settings are being used, apart from having/not having an ear for it?

- Almost certain I had the subwoofer knob around 20% for Audyssey calibration but I realize now I was supposed to have it at 50% during. Would that make a big difference, should I run it again?

- Any suggestions in general, settings wise? I've set all speakers to "Small" and all crossovers to 80; that all sound right?

- Other advice for best results?

Thanks so much
post #8 of 10 Old 08-25-2015, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Swapped the SC-91 for the X1200W today, so far happy with it, especially the savings (on sale right now too!) but I've got a few questions

- Any way for me to verify the Audyssey settings are being used, apart from having/not having an ear for it?

- Almost certain I had the subwoofer knob around 20% for Audyssey calibration but I realize now I was supposed to have it at 50% during. Would that make a big difference, should I run it again?

- Any suggestions in general, settings wise? I've set all speakers to "Small" and all crossovers to 80; that all sound right?

- Other advice for best results?

Thanks so much
I would suggest not using dynamic EQ and dynamic volume.

When you're running the audyssey calibration make sure not to move the mic too far from each other, like moving the mic 5 feet from the previous position.

If you can do the calibration manually
post #9 of 10 Old 08-25-2015, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbp_civic View Post
I would suggest not using dynamic EQ and dynamic volume.

When you're running the audyssey calibration make sure not to move the mic too far from each other, like moving the mic 5 feet from the previous position.

If you can do the calibration manually
Can dynamic EQ and volume settings be saved per input or is it a global setting? I'd probably leave them on for TV due to the stupid commercial audio changes; but if not global I'll definitely turn them off for my Blu-Ray input.

I made sure to keep the mic within ~2' of the initial position during Audyssey calibration.

I'm afraid I'm not knowledgable enough to calibrate the system manually, is there somewhere I can go to tweak things post-Audyssey calibration?
post #10 of 10 Old 08-25-2015, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Can dynamic EQ and volume settings be saved per input or is it a global setting? I'd probably leave them on for TV due to the stupid commercial audio changes; but if not global I'll definitely turn them off for my Blu-Ray input.

I made sure to keep the mic within ~2' of the initial position during Audyssey calibration.

I'm afraid I'm not knowledgable enough to calibrate the system manually, is there somewhere I can go to tweak things post-Audyssey calibration?

Dynamic EQ is recommended for all sources all the time, while Dynamic Volume generally only for cable/sat box source and when viewing a movie later at night when you want to keep the loud explosions down but yet still hear the dialogue at lower volume levels. These can be set by source using a Quick Select button (see Owner's manual). There's no reason to calibrate manually as that is the purpose for Audyssey.

Now that you own the X1200, please refer to the 2015 Denon Owner's thread, posts 1-7 and post there with any additional questions.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...dcp-2-2-a.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page