The AVS Yamaha TSR-5790 & TSR-579 Owner's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #31 of 56 Old 10-29-2017, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2177 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
its called video select. press the option button on the remote and choose which input you want to view while streaming Bluetooth

its definitely in the manual.

Afro GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 10-29-2017, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yes, thanks. Exactly what I needed to know.
post #33 of 56 Old 11-18-2017, 02:25 PM

Yamaha TSR5790 Question

I view television on HDMI2. After turning the TV/Receiver back on after a period of rest, the receiver is still on HDMI2, but only for less than a minute. It them automatically switches to AV4. How can I correct this so remains on the input I last used without changing automatically? Thanks much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 56 Old 11-18-2017, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieBinHB View Post
I view television on HDMI2. After turning the TV/Receiver back on after a period of rest, the receiver is still on HDMI2, but only for less than a minute. It them automatically switches to AV4. How can I correct this so remains on the input I last used without changing automatically? Thanks much!
That's a "feature" of CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) when a TV is involved. The TV switches the receiver to its TV audio input, since "of course" you want to listen to the TV. ARC (Audio Return Channel; one of the ways to get audio from the TV to the receiver) requires CEC to be enabled. Denon and Marantz receivers have a feature to disable the selection of the TV audio input on the receiver. Unfortunately, I don't think the other receiver manufacturers provide it.

A workaround is to disable ARC and CEC and use a digital optical (Toslink) audio connection from the TV to the receiver, plus a programmable, universal remote (e.g. Logitech Harmony) to coordinate the powering on of the devices and selection of the appropriate audio input on the receiver.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #35 of 56 Old 11-23-2017, 12:07 PM

Liked: 10
Unhappy TSR-5790 Won't turn on

Was playing music last night on the TSR-5790 and the unit won't turn on this morning.

Red light on the power button is on. Press Power Button and it just flashes the red power light.

Looked at the manual and they say this behavior is due to the protection circuitry having kicked in and this is an error/problem that requires service.

Is this an expensive service repair / service fix? Should I just plan on getting another unit?

Unfortunately, my unit is just over a year old and the warranty is up. This is refurbed unit. Got a full year of use out of it pretty reliably but was hoping to get at least a few out of the unit.

Don't think I got an extended warranty but I'll have to dig out my paperwork.
post #36 of 56 Old 11-24-2017, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by cejack4 View Post
Was playing music last night on the TSR-5790 and the unit won't turn on this morning.

Red light on the power button is on. Press Power Button and it just flashes the red power light.

Looked at the manual and they say this behavior is due to the protection circuitry having kicked in and this is an error/problem that requires service.

Is this an expensive service repair / service fix? Should I just plan on getting another unit?

Unfortunately, my unit is just over a year old and the warranty is up. This is refurbed unit. Got a full year of use out of it pretty reliably but was hoping to get at least a few out of the unit.

Don't think I got an extended warranty but I'll have to dig out my paperwork.
Verify that there aren't any thin strands of wire sticking out of the ends of the speaker wires. An intermittent short between adjacent speaker binding posts can cause symptoms similar to what you're describing.

Also, try unplugging the receiver from wall power for about 10 minutes. This kind of "soft reset" sometimes clears up strange problems.

A "return-to-factory-settings" reset would be another thing to try. (It should be described in the receiver's owner's manual.) Depending on your situation, manually restoring settings after doing that might be less inconvenient and cheaper than having the unit repaired or replaced.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #37 of 56 Old 02-09-2018, 12:24 PM
nc1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yamaha 5790 - Firmware 1.79 Fried it...

I just updated the Firmware last weekend and immediately my speakers sounded distorted and volume was goofy. Didn't matter the source.
Geek Squad just left and said the receiver went into "brick" mode and it's toast. Guy wasn't trying to sell me anything so I believe him.
Anyone else heard of this or know if there is a fix?

Thank you,
post #38 of 56 Old 02-11-2018, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Anyone figure out how to get HDR working?

I'm on firmware 1.78

When I hook up my XboxOne to the receiver It states my device does not support HDR, When I connect it direct to my tv Sony 940D, it works just fine. Can not seem to find the option to save my life. Ive read other threads about yamaha receivers needing to be switched to "4k Mode 2", but when I go to my advanced options per instructions I don't see it.
post #39 of 56 Old 02-13-2018, 07:44 AM

On my rx-v579 I can not get Airplay to sty connected for mote then 30 seconds. It drops and I have to powercycle the receiver. This happens with an iPhone and an iPad. Airplay works fine on my rx-v679.

Any ideas on why this may be happening?
post #40 of 56 Old 03-15-2018, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscian View Post
Anyone figure out how to get HDR working?

I'm on firmware 1.78

When I hook up my XboxOne to the receiver It states my device does not support HDR, When I connect it direct to my tv Sony 940D, it works just fine. Can not seem to find the option to save my life. Ive read other threads about yamaha receivers needing to be switched to "4k Mode 2", but when I go to my advanced options per instructions I don't see it.
Am having the same trouble, it seems that Yamaha may have really let us down here. If you look at the 5790 info page https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi.../features.html under 4K Ultra HD Full Support with 4K60p, HDCP2.2, HDR* Video and BT.2020 pass-through under the information the asterisk states *A future firmware update will be required to enable HDR, of course, the picture shown is the WRONG model as the pic shows two outs, one for ARC and then 5 HDMI ports. The 5790 has one HDMI out and 6 ports...

I checked and the latest update is 1.79, I am on it, but no HDR. I will screenshot the info page because if they never updated this, they will need to do something for 5790 owners!

Waiting for a supervisor at Yamaha support. Just verified after 30 minutes of troubleshooting, that the website is in error, the 5790 will NOT support HDr.

Someone who truly loves others speaks the truth, not just what they want to hear.

Last edited by DtroitPunk; 03-15-2018 at 09:25 AM. Reason: add information
post #41 of 56 Old 04-05-2018, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
PSA for Yamaha TSR-5790BL owners!

OK, I was recently having issues with HDR and HDR gaming through Xbox One S. I did a little digging and found that the info page for the receiver had the wrong picture of the HDMI inputs on the back. This led me to think that the promised HDR with Firmware Update was a mistake.

After a half hour chat where I was first assured that the update had happened and that it should support HDR, I received confirmation that the 5790 is the same as the RX-V579 and was NOT supposed to have HDR.

Long story short, after nightmarish customer service exchanges where I was routinely ignored, both by email and phone, (as well as being provided a shipping label with my OLD address after asking for my mailing address in emails) I now have a brand new RX-V683 in place of the refurbished TSR-5790BL.

At first, they wanted to offer me a refurbished RX-V483 as this was the same price point or “level” of a receiver. I pushed back as the TSR-5790 had legacy connections like component and more HDMI inputs. Basically, I told them I would not accept losing ANYTHING for their error.

A lawsuit for false advertisement and failure to deliver would be much worse for them than making it right.

I have owned 3 previous Yamaha Receivers and I also own a Digital Grand Piano and a guitar amplifier. They treated me like crap, and now I would like to help everyone hold them accountable.

I am attaching a screenshot of the now changed website as well as a link to Amazon that still shows the erroneous info that was provided to them by Yamaha. https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-TSR-5790BL-channel-receiver-Black/dp/B01CTD7O4K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (19).png
Views:	78
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	2385538  

Someone who truly loves others speaks the truth, not just what they want to hear.
post #42 of 56 Old 04-11-2018, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked: 2235
bickering posts deleted.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #43 of 56 Old 06-22-2018, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yamaha tsr-5790 turns on by itself

I have the yamaha tsr-5790 hooked up with hdmi to a comcast/xfinity cable box, a slingbox and a samsung lcd. I use the comcast remote to all on/all off. That seems to be setup ok. However, the receiver will turn randomly itself on. It will turn on with the bluetooth input on and volume all down.

I can't tell how long after I have turned it off sometimes a day, sometimes 10 minutes. Any ideas what could be?
post #44 of 56 Old 06-22-2018, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I would guess that one of the remote codes from your xfinity remote is turning it on, or perhaps another remote somewhere in the house. For my anecdotal evidence, I used to have a Primare CD player remote that would turn on a Panasonic CD recorder.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | Dual PSA S1811 Subs
post #45 of 56 Old 11-04-2018, 04:20 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Yamaha RX-A550 - Bluetooth transmit (connect BT headphones)

I'm looking for someone that knows how to navigate the Yamaha system to help connect BT headphones to the receiver output. I don't have the aid of an onscreen display - only the remote. I don't know how to use the onscreen display. We have a Tivo and an Apple TV connected via HDMI

It is updated to the most current firmware.

There will be 20 people saying you can't do that - but it's an advertised feature.

It's very poorly documented. Maybe not documented. The only BT Item I've found in the menus seems to be for receiving. I think it requires the MusicCast app or Audio Controller app - but I've tried both and neither are upfront with how to do this.....

It 100% CAN be done - I just can't decipher Yamaha's cypher. The RX-A550 was one of the first of many receivers that do this. the way through the maze changed with newer models so I'm really hoping someone with this same or very similar model can help.... Thanks!

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi.../features.html

Quote:
Bluetooth Output for Convenient Music Streaming
The RX-A550 is equipped with the latest Bluetooth technology, making wireless operation more convenient than ever. You can stream music from the RX-A550 to Bluetooth headphones for private listening or to Bluetooth speakers.
post #46 of 56 Old 11-04-2018, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2089 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
Why do you not have the use of the on-screen display if you have an Apple TV and Tivo hooked up to it? How do you watch those?

Though the product page says this, the last firmware on 10/4/18 does not mention Bluetooth, just Airplay enhancement. Several of the firmware updates on 10/4 for AVRs mentioned Bluetooth Output (R) but it was omitted from a few. The OM hasn’t been updated to mention BT output either. All of this is puzzling.

I would contact Yamaha for clarification.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 04-24-2019 at 10:41 AM.
post #47 of 56 Old 12-16-2018, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I'm having issues in getting Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound working... This seems to be a new problem... maybe since the last Yamaha firmware update. In the past, I've always left STRAIGHT turned on and set my Comcast box, my Apple TV box and my Oppo BluRay player to output DD5.1. But, now, I get no voice, no central audio that is, I think, that way. Great music or in the cast of a football game, I get surround audio, but not announcers. I've got a Yamaha tsr-5790...

Adding: I'm looking for clean 5.1 audio, nothing that changes the sound from the original...

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.

Last edited by artshotwell; 12-16-2018 at 11:55 AM.
post #48 of 56 Old 12-16-2018, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I think it's possible. Check your setup... Bluetooth has both receiver and transmitter settings. I think the receiver's default is to leave the Bluetooth transmitter OFF. But, you can turn it on. I haven't connected to BT headphones, but I have connected to a BT speaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGirl View Post
Yamaha RX-A550 - Bluetooth transmit (connect BT headphones)

I'm looking for someone that knows how to navigate the Yamaha system to help connect BT headphones to the receiver output. I don't have the aid of an onscreen display - only the remote. I don't know how to use the onscreen display. We have a Tivo and an Apple TV connected via HDMI

It is updated to the most current firmware.

There will be 20 people saying you can't do that - but it's an advertised feature.

It's very poorly documented. Maybe not documented. The only BT Item I've found in the menus seems to be for receiving. I think it requires the MusicCast app or Audio Controller app - but I've tried both and neither are upfront with how to do this.....

It 100% CAN be done - I just can't decipher Yamaha's cypher. The RX-A550 was one of the first of many receivers that do this. the way through the maze changed with newer models so I'm really hoping someone with this same or very similar model can help.... Thanks!

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi.../features.html

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #49 of 56 Old 12-16-2018, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by artshotwell View Post
I think it's possible. Check your setup... Bluetooth has both receiver and transmitter settings. I think the receiver's default is to leave the Bluetooth transmitter OFF. But, you can turn it on. I haven't connected to BT headphones, but I have connected to a BT speaker.
Thanks - I sorted it out long ago but forgot to update the thread. I found the necessary parameter buried in the onscreen menus (not available via the unit's front panel) - unfortunately it was very laggy played with video, so I had to go with an aptX low latency RX/TX box (TaoTronics) and also get aptX low latency headphones (Avantree Audition Pro). Now I can plug the transmitter into the headphone jack and pair it with the headphones and watch with no noticeable delay.

Not too many devices support aptX low latency as of yet....it works well, though about $95 to get there!
ChromeJob likes this.
post #50 of 56 Old 02-14-2019, 07:47 PM

So I can’t figure out something very basic on this receiver. How do I listen to 2 channel stereo with a subwoofer (2.1)? No problem using the sub in 7-channel surround but I can’t figure out how to enable it with only L/R+sub? I fancy myself pretty tech savvy so this one is a bit embarrassing.
post #51 of 56 Old 02-15-2019, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybot View Post
So I can’t figure out something very basic on this receiver. How do I listen to 2 channel stereo with a subwoofer (2.1)? No problem using the sub in 7-channel surround but I can’t figure out how to enable it with only L/R+sub? I fancy myself pretty tech savvy so this one is a bit embarrassing.
2.0 music doesn't have an LFE ".1" channel, so you'd have to divert bass from the mains to the sub. On Screen, Setup, Manual Setup, Speakers. Mark the appropriate ones "small." Then check the "bass cross over." The smaller the woofers on your speakers, the higher the freq from the Dolby default of 80 Hz. E.g. my mains have woofers about 6", so my bass cross over is 110 Hz.

Then set your AVR to Straight (for stereo music), or "2ch Stereo." Voila, 2.1.

Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #52 of 56 Old 02-15-2019, 08:33 PM

Can’t thank you enough for the reply. Have always used Denon but got this Yamaha for ease of use for my wife and daughter. With the Denons, you simply add a sub in the speaker confirmation and it’s on even in 2 channel. I assume it just replicates a LFE signal. Then you choose “direct” if you want pure 2.0 music as it was originally intended. Sounds like the two units do the same thing but opposite defaults.
post #53 of 56 Old 02-18-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I suspect you had your Denon set up similarly to the Yamaha, and forgot. Or you had some “extra bass” feature enabled that sent LF bass to the subwoofer even in 2.0 stereo content.

Technically, there is not “creating an LFE channel” -- in multichannel content the LFE channel is a discrete component, not a sum or subtraction from other channels.

Last edited by ChromeJob; 04-25-2019 at 09:06 AM. Reason: spelling
post #54 of 56 Old 06-27-2019, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Question about "simplifying" speaker setup..

First time poster... hope I can get some advice here.

Panasonic DMP-BDT210 blu-ray player
Yamaha TSR-5790
BenQ W1070 projector

Basically, I've got an outdoor theater with a 16'x9' screen out by my pool. I have 2 front and 2 rear channel speakers that are weatherproof Polk Audio speakers. For movie nights, I've pulled out the polk center channel from the rubbermaid box and brought the polk sub out from the house and running 5.1. I'm finding that's not only too much trouble, but the surround effects are lost on the audience because the viewing area is so spread out. Additionally, I need more "dialog", as the center channel speaker is underpowered for the dialogue, as it has to occasionally compete with the pool pump and the a/c unit.

I'm thinking I'd rather just go with a "2 speaker setup" where I pair the front and rear left speakers, front and rear right speakers, and do away with the center channel, the sub, and the surround sound concept altogether. What I DON'T know is how to implement that? Do I tell the blu-ray player I only have a 2 speaker setup? Or do I tell the receiver "even though you're getting the sound from the blu-ray player, I want you to only play it over the left and right channels"? Can I ask the receiver to split the signal to the front AND the rears? Or do I have to twist them together and just run them as one left and one right?

Anyone have any advise?

Thanks!
post #55 of 56 Old 06-27-2019, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 7259 Post(s)
Liked: 6295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye22407 View Post
surround effects are lost on the audience because the viewing area is so spread out
You have a 7.2 channel receiver. Get a couple more of the same weatherproof Polk speakers and spread all 4 surrounds evenly around the listening area.
Quote:
I need more "dialog", as the center channel speaker is underpowered for the dialogue, as it has to occasionally compete with the pool pump and the a/c unit.
Get another of the same weatherproof speaker you're using for L/R and install it as the centre (instead of pulling one out of a Rubbermaid box every time). After re-doing calibration you can boost the centre channel level until dialogue can clearly be heard above the competing background noise.
Quote:
I'm thinking I'd rather just go with a "2 speaker setup" where I pair the front and rear left speakers, front and rear right speakers, and do away with the center channel, the sub, and the surround sound concept altogether.
Most movies have most of the dialogue in the centre channel and there is no way to isolate that info & boost it when listening with only 2 speakers. If being able to hear dialogue is a problem, don't do away with the centre speaker.
Panson likes this.

Sanjay
post #56 of 56 Old 07-06-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye22407 View Post
First time poster... hope I can get some advice here.

Panasonic DMP-BDT210 blu-ray player
Yamaha TSR-5790
BenQ W1070 projector

Basically, I've got an outdoor theater with a 16'x9' screen out by my pool. I have 2 front and 2 rear channel speakers that are weatherproof Polk Audio speakers. For movie nights, I've pulled out the polk center channel from the rubbermaid box and brought the polk sub out from the house and running 5.1. I'm finding that's not only too much trouble, but the surround effects are lost on the audience because the viewing area is so spread out. Additionally, I need more "dialog", as the center channel speaker is underpowered for the dialogue, as it has to occasionally compete with the pool pump and the a/c unit.

I'm thinking I'd rather just go with a "2 speaker setup" where I pair the front and rear left speakers, front and rear right speakers, and do away with the center channel, the sub, and the surround sound concept altogether. What I DON'T know is how to implement that? Do I tell the blu-ray player I only have a 2 speaker setup? Or do I tell the receiver "even though you're getting the sound from the blu-ray player, I want you to only play it over the left and right channels"? Can I ask the receiver to split the signal to the front AND the rears? Or do I have to twist them together and just run them as one left and one right?
Welcome. Your manual holds the answer, just put the AVR into 7ch Stereo in which all content is mixed down to 2ch stereo and sent to all available speakers. No unorthodox wiring needed. Boom, done.

If dialog is "lost," then yes an outdoor Center speaker will help, but you may need more power (see below), and viewers will need to be in a "centered" MLP to enjoy the film. If people are spread out around the pool, then just playing the soundtrack in 7ch Stereo will enable more people to hear.

For your application, the AVR could be underpowered, and the speakers may also not be up to the challenge of battling with ambient pool sounds and an a/c unit. I don't recall, but if the 579 has PRE-OUTs, you might look into an outdoor amplifier solution. Monoprice probably has an economical solution. But try 7ch Stereo mode first at close to -0 dB and see how it you (and the audience) like it. A outdoor pool area is a much-less-than-ideal listening environment, so I'd give up the idea of acoustic accuracy and just settle for "I can hear the dialog."

Last edited by ChromeJob; 07-06-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
input switching , receiver settings not saved , remote , TSR-5790 , Yamaha , yamaha tsr 5790

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page