Xpa-200 stereo power amplifier - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-30-2015, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1377 Post(s)
Liked: 11916
Xpa-200 stereo power amplifier

Pros and Cons??????

I am very weary of going with Emotiva, anyone have a positive story to relay?

Anyone own this model?

Has this been on sales previous for $399? (it's now $499)

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-30-2015, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3308 Post(s)
Liked: 3410
"Leery"? Why not just get a different amp, like a pro amp, if you do not trust Emotiva? And yes it has been on sale recently. Probably not again until later this year for their Holiday Sale. I have not heard the XPA-200 and wonder how much of a boost (if any) it would be over a decent AVR's amplifiers, though if you have lower-sensitivity 4-ohm speakers and like it loud it could benefit.

Edit for disclosure: I do own a number of Emotiva products (XPA-2, XPA-3, XPA-5, XMC-1, various accessory items) and am generally pleased with them. No problems with any of the power amps.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley

Last edited by DonH50; 08-30-2015 at 10:53 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-30-2015, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
I am very weary of going with Emotiva, anyone have a positive story to relay?
I haven't bought a power amp from them, but my XDA-2 has excellent build quality, lots of thoughtful features and a remote that's built like a tank.

The XPA-200 is one of a rapidly diminishing number of power amps that use traditional Class AB design that has been time tested and most refined over the years. That makes for a relatively big, heavy and costly power amp, but IMO the benefit is worth the sacrifice. If I hadn't gone with powered speakers, I'd probably have an XPA amp right now.

Hope that helps a little.

You get what you pay for.  For professional advice, pay the professional rate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-30-2015, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Owner of an XPA-3 and previously an XPA-2. Nothing but good things to say. If you are concerned regarding power then consider the XPA-2 as that definitely has more to it than the XPA-200.

What is your usage going to be? If you have a strong AVR then I don't see the XPA-200 providing much of a bang.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-10-2015, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
"Leery"? Why not just get a different amp,
because it's cheap.

This is for a 3rd system where I experiment. If it's a know problem as many Emotiva products have been I'd avoid it. If it's a solid amp, for them, I'd go with it.

thanks for the reply

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-10-2015, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daemon View Post
I haven't bought a power amp from them, but my XDA-2 has excellent build quality, lots of thoughtful features and a remote that's built like a tank.

The XPA-200 is one of a rapidly diminishing number of power amps that use traditional Class AB design that has been time tested and most refined over the years. That makes for a relatively big, heavy and costly power amp, but IMO the benefit is worth the sacrifice. If I hadn't gone with powered speakers, I'd probably have an XPA amp right now.

Hope that helps a little.
Seems it's really a [email protected]/[email protected] amp if rated as the better amp rate their products.

Still, this meets my minimun requirements for this system.

I don't like that it has no sensor turn on. Have to use a trigger wire.

post #7 of 11 Old 09-10-2015, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes182 View Post
Owner of an XPA-3 and previously an XPA-2. Nothing but good things to say. If you are concerned regarding power then consider the XPA-2 as that definitely has more to it than the XPA-200.

What is your usage going to be? If you have a strong AVR then I don't see the XPA-200 providing much of a bang.
I am just gonna use it as a simple two channel set up. Running everything into an Oppo 103 or 105, depending on which system I decide to put it in. Then from the 105 (as a pre) direct to it or to a pre amp to it. (HA-1)

I have options to play with. After all, it's a hobby not anything I need.

post #8 of 11 Old 09-10-2015, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3308 Post(s)
Liked: 3410
The little Fusion amp from Emotiva has auto-on if you want to try that... It was on sale over Labor Day, not sure you can still get the sale price.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #9 of 11 Old 11-06-2015, 06:14 PM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2207 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Pros and Cons?????? I am very weary of going with Emotiva, anyone have a positive story to relay? Anyone own this model? Has this been on sales previous for $399? (it's now $499)
I would not touch them
post #10 of 11 Old 11-07-2015, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
I would not touch them
why?

post #11 of 11 Old 11-07-2015, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I am just gonna use it as a simple two channel set up. Running everything into an Oppo 103 or 105, depending on which system I decide to put it in. Then from the 105 (as a pre) direct to it or to a pre amp to it. (HA-1)

I have options to play with. After all, it's a hobby not anything I need.
Well, I waited and got the thing when it went to the $400 price again a couple weeks ago.

It really did not work out as I was going to use it BUT has worked great in another application.

The OPPO could not drive th sub when used as a pre and the lack of trigger from the OPPO to the amp made it not worth any more effort.

So, I threw it in another system and am very happy.

So far so good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page