Between an A/V Receiver and Soundbar? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-06-2015, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Between an A/V Receiver and Soundbar?

I have a Pioneer Elite SC-05 receiver with a few things plugged into it, my 3 speakers and a subwoofer. I do not use surrounds any more. Overall it sounds good. The problem is how unintuitive it is for guests to use my TV and get better sound out of my TV. I have to turn it all on for them, then change the audio input on my universal remote.

I've been intrigued by these soundbars and although I've never used one before, I think I have a handle on how they work. I wanted to know if there was something that works like a sound bar, but allows you to keep your regular bookshelf/subwoofer speakers. Obviously it has to have an amplifier and be able to balance the levels and crossover of the sub, but it would be great if it could have these features.
  • Allow me to use my TV remote
  • Work via the Optical out on my TV.
  • Auto on/off feature

I don't NEED to have anything plugged into my A/V receiver anymore. There are enough inputs on my TV.

If I can't find something to insert into the place of my A/V receiver, I might simply sell my whole AV setup because I hardly use it anymore myself, but want the better sound on normal TV watching. I could just get a high-end sound bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-06-2015, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
A sound bar will give you a better sound than the TV speakers. The problem with sound bars is the speakers are only a few feet apart and their horizontal orientation doesn't give great off axis response. There are some good sounding sound bars but I prefer a nice stereo system with a sub over most sound bars. Being able to place the speakers a little further apart in a vertical configuration gives a better front sound stage. Does your TV have an analog audio out or a headphone connection? If you have analog connections you could use a variety of active speakers and subwoofer.

One option for using the optical output besides a sound bar could be something like these.
http://www.paradigm.com/products-cur.../page=overview

post #3 of 8 Old 09-06-2015, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
A sound bar will give you a better sound than the TV speakers. The problem with sound bars is the speakers are only a few feet apart and their horizontal orientation doesn't give great off axis response. There are some good sounding sound bars but I prefer a nice stereo system with a sub over most sound bars. Being able to place the speakers a little further apart in a vertical configuration gives a better front sound stage. Does your TV have an analog audio out or a headphone connection? If you have analog connections you could use a variety of active speakers and subwoofer.

One option for using the optical output besides a sound bar could be something like these.

You could always keep you current system and get a good universal remote to automate the system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-07-2015, 03:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22576 Post(s)
Liked: 12286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valnar View Post
I have a Pioneer Elite SC-05 receiver with a few things plugged into it, my 3 speakers and a subwoofer. I do not use surrounds any more. Overall it sounds good. The problem is how unintuitive it is for guests to use my TV and get better sound out of my TV. I have to turn it all on for them, then change the audio input on my universal remote.

I've been intrigued by these soundbars and although I've never used one before, I think I have a handle on how they work. I wanted to know if there was something that works like a sound bar, but allows you to keep your regular bookshelf/subwoofer speakers. Obviously it has to have an amplifier and be able to balance the levels and crossover of the sub, but it would be great if it could have these features.
  • Allow me to use my TV remote
  • Work via the Optical out on my TV.
  • Auto on/off feature

I don't NEED to have anything plugged into my A/V receiver anymore. There are enough inputs on my TV.

If I can't find something to insert into the place of my A/V receiver, I might simply sell my whole AV setup because I hardly use it anymore myself, but want the better sound on normal TV watching. I could just get a high-end sound bar.
Sounds like you need a better Universal remote. Consider purchasing a Harmony remote which can turn on all of your components in the setup with the press of a single button.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech...&skuId=9837565
post #5 of 8 Old 09-07-2015, 04:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 82
It seems to me all you need is a Harmony remote. It will make your AVR system as easy to use as a soundbar.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-07-2015, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I have a universal remote, but not everything goes into my AVR. The problem is some of my devices go directly into the TV. Maybe I could re-route some things around, but honestly its too big, obtrusive and power hungry to use 100% of the time, which is why I'm the only one who does. I guess I just want to downsize, or more to the point, simplify.
post #7 of 8 Old 10-15-2015, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Are there any features of a soundbar superior to that of a modern AV receiver? I think that is my dilemma. If I upgrade my 6-year old Pioneer SC-05 to something like the latest Marantz offerings, would that give me all the things I'm clamoring for in a soundbar?

I basically want all the Auto features, like ARC, CEC, standby, auto-sense (if anyone even has that) and such to make the audio from my TV and components as seamless as possible.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-16-2015, 03:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22576 Post(s)
Liked: 12286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valnar View Post
Are there any features of a soundbar superior to that of a modern AV receiver? I think that is my dilemma. If I upgrade my 6-year old Pioneer SC-05 to something like the latest Marantz offerings, would that give me all the things I'm clamoring for in a soundbar?

I basically want all the Auto features, like ARC, CEC, standby, auto-sense (if anyone even has that) and such to make the audio from my TV and components as seamless as possible.
Not likely, no, rather only simplification from 3 speakers down to only one sound bar, although you'll still have a separate subwoofer. A sound bar of any quality will still sound better than your TV speakers, so if the goal is to simplify, the sound bar will indeed do that. Audio quality can vary from several hundred $$$ to several thousand dollars.

Check out the offerings by Definitive Technology ....

http://www.definitivetech.com/produc...d-bar-systems/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page