Denon x4200w vs Pioneer SC-95 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-09-2015, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
cembros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 429
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Denon x4200w vs Pioneer SC-95

I'm finally looking to upgrade my Pioneer Sc-05 that has served me well over the last 6 years and I'm stuck between these two. I'm running 5.1 but I hope to expand to an atoms/dts x setup in the future. From what I can tell the Denon can do 5.2.4 max and the Pioneer can do 7.2.4, both with external amp. Advantage Pioneer.

I don't care about the power or types of DAC's of each so they are neutral there.
Both accept 4k so neutral there.

The only other category I care about (this is a big one) is room correction. The Pioneer has mcacc pro which a more advanced version than what I have now. What I have now is ok but it doesn't correct the sub. Is odyssey xt32 that much better?

If I go with the denon I'll eventually have to add an external amp for atoms. I don't really care about the cost but I'd prefer not to have another component. With the pioneer I'd only have to add an amp if I go to 7.2.4.

So I guess my basic question lies is if I should save $100 up front, eliminate the option of 7.2.4 atoms but gain xt32?
cembros is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 09-10-2015, 04:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,311
Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22753 Post(s)
Liked: 12398
You'll find fans of each EQ, and although XT32 is arguably better, MCACC allows you to tweak the EQ where that is not possible with the Audyssey EQ; however, in order to have an Atmos Top Front + Top Rear ceiling speaker configuration, with either model you'll have to add an external 2CH amp, as the Pioneer can only do Front Height + Top Middle out of the box.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 09-10-2015, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
cembros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 429
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
You'll find fans of each EQ, and although XT32 is arguably better, MCACC allows you to tweak the EQ where that is not possible with the Audyssey EQ; however, in order to have an Atmos Top Front + Top Rear ceiling speaker configuration, with either model you'll have to add an external 2CH amp, as the Pioneer can only do Front Height + Top Middle out of the box.
Humm. I didn't know there was a difference between top middle and top rear. Would top front and top middle still be considered 7.2.4?
cembros is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old 09-10-2015, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,311
Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22753 Post(s)
Liked: 12398
Quote:
Originally Posted by cembros View Post
Humm. I didn't know there was a difference between top middle and top rear. Would top front and top middle still be considered 7.2.4?
With D+M models, there are 5 possible height speaker locations: Front Height (FH), Top Front (TF), Top Middle (TM), Top Rear (TR), and Rear Height (RH). However, adjacent locations cannot be selected (eg. TF + TM), rather you would have to select either (TF + TR) or (TM + RH). On the Pioneer, the only configuration would be (TFw and TBw) as there is no Rear Height layout.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 09-10-2015, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
cembros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 429
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
With D+M models, there are 5 possible height speaker locations: Front Height (FH), Top Front (TF), Top Middle (TM), Top Rear (TR), and Rear Height (RH). However, adjacent locations cannot be selected (eg. TF + TM), rather you would have to select either (TF + TR) or (TM + RH). On the Pioneer, the only configuration would be (TFw and TBw) as there is no Rear Height layout.
Ok well I obviously have more research to do regarding atmos. I guess it shouldn't be a factor in deciding between the two though.

MCACC still doesn't do sub eq, correct?
cembros is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 09-10-2015, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,311
Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22753 Post(s)
Liked: 12398
As is true with last year's SC-85/87/89 so to can the SC-95/97/99 do dual Sub EQ.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 09-13-2015, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
Utopianemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Incidentally, I was going to get the Denon or the Yamaha RX-A2050 until a few days ago when I found out about the new Pioneers. Class-D is a big deal, because it runs cooler, consumes less power for the same amount of output(saves on electricity), and it doesn't lose overall output when driving all channels nearly as much as class A/B amps do. I'm getting the 95 as soon as it becomes available.

Last edited by Utopianemo; 09-14-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Utopianemo is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 09-14-2015, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smurraybhm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Down South
Posts: 4,666
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2314 Post(s)
Liked: 3174
Denon has an Eco mode which I would bet compares to Pioneer''s usage. Honestly I chuckle at those who think they are saving that much $ by buying a receiver based on electricity consumption - no offense. The Denons I have owned run as cool as the Pioneer they replaced, and the Denon 5200 (and 4200) has two more channels to operate plus it does video processing, something the old Elites didn't do (that will in of itself will generate a little heat).

As someone who had and enjoyed a Pioneer SC-07 for a number of years, the Denon is worth it for the better room correction system. If you were looking at the Pioneer flagship then I might feel differently in regards to sound. Finally, before you buy give JD a call for pricing. Smartest choice you could make since its always good to save a little $.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
smurraybhm is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 09-14-2015, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
Utopianemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
Denon has an Eco mode which I would bet compares to Pioneer''s usage. Honestly I chuckle at those who think they are saving that much $ by buying a receiver based on electricity consumption - no offense. The Denons I have owned run as cool as the Pioneer they replaced, and the Denon 5200 (and 4200) has two more channels to operate plus it does video processing, something the old Elites didn't do (that will in of itself will generate a little heat).

As someone who had and enjoyed a Pioneer SC-07 for a number of years, the Denon is worth it for the better room correction system. If you were looking at the Pioneer flagship then I might feel differently in regards to sound. Finally, before you buy give JD a call for pricing. Smartest choice you could make since its always good to save a little $.
The Denon's rated in-use consumption is 670W When pushing 7 channels; the Pioneer SC-95 is 330W when pushing 9. The pioneer Elites are the only AVRs with an energy star rating.

I have a lot of respect for Denon's products, and I don't expect everyone to care about energy consumption; it may be quaint to you, but it's a valuable asset to me. In the last few years, Pioneer has earned themselves a reputation for their amp sections, which produce more output power than their competitors while consuming less power. Thats important enough to me to warrant a purchase. I respect your right to feel differently.
Cheers!

Last edited by Utopianemo; 09-15-2015 at 06:03 AM.
Utopianemo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off