receiver advice needed - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-11-2015, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
receiver advice needed

Hello all, I find myself constantly waiting for the next good thing in receivers and really need to pull the trigger. I was hoping to get some advice regarding the product that best matches my needs.

I have an existing 5.1 speaker setup with good quality speakers that can pretty much take whatever clean power is thrown at them (NHT 2.9 fronts, NHT 1.9 rears, NHT AC2 center, Velodyne DD-18 sub). Although I realize a separate amp/pre-amp setup is ideal, I like the convenience (and price) of a receiver.

Here are the features I want from a receiver, roughly in order of importance.
-7.x or 9.x powered channels (I may someday go with a 7.1 setup and bi-amp).
-2 of the above channels need to allow me to bi-amp the NHT 2.9 front speakers
-support for mixed impedence speakers (8ohm and 6ohm)
-HDMI 2.0 and 2.0a upgradable (if possible)
-HDCP 2.2
-support for the most modern processing formats (e.g., DTS:X, etc.)
-at least 192kHz/32-Bit DAC
-as much clean power as possible

Here are the units I am considering.
-Pioneer Elite SC-99 - a bit leary about Elite now that Onkyo bought them but specs look great
-Pioneer Elite SC-97 - a bit leary about Elite now that Onkyo bought them but specs look great
-Integra DTR 60.6 - older than the DTR 50.7 (is a 60.7 due out soon?)
-Integra DTR 50.7 - new, but minimal number of channels
-Denon AVR-X7200WA - new
-Denon AVR-X5200W - older than other AVR-X units (I hear AVR-X6200W comes out in October)
-Denon AVR-X4200W - new, but minimal number of channels
-Marantz SR7010 - new
-Marantz SR700 - older than other SR units
-Marantz SR6010 - new, but minimal number of channels
-Onkyo TX-RZ900 - new, but minimal number of channels (seems like Onkyo line does not want to compete with Integra)

Given my list of requirements, which of the above should I rule out? Similarly, what should I consider that I left out? I did consider Arcam AVR450 or AVR750 as well as NAD T787, but they don't meet all my requirements. I am not a fan of Yamaha.

I am currently favoring the SC-97 and DTR-50.7, although if a DTR 60.7 were to be released any time soon it replace the DTR 50.7. Cost is not so much the deciding factor - the other items are more important. I want to stay below $3,500.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-11-2015, 02:20 PM
FMW
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1654 Post(s)
Liked: 1710
Just rule out the biamplification. It will accomplish nothing.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-25-2015, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgranto View Post
Hello all, I find myself constantly waiting for the next good thing in receivers and really need to pull the trigger. I was hoping to get some advice regarding the product that best matches my needs.

I have an existing 5.1 speaker setup with good quality speakers that can pretty much take whatever clean power is thrown at them (NHT 2.9 fronts, NHT 1.9 rears, NHT AC2 center, Velodyne DD-18 sub). Although I realize a separate amp/pre-amp setup is ideal, I like the convenience (and price) of a receiver.

Here are the features I want from a receiver, roughly in order of importance.
-7.x or 9.x powered channels (I may someday go with a 7.1 setup and bi-amp).
-2 of the above channels need to allow me to bi-amp the NHT 2.9 front speakers
-support for mixed impedence speakers (8ohm and 6ohm)
-HDMI 2.0 and 2.0a upgradable (if possible)
-HDCP 2.2
-support for the most modern processing formats (e.g., DTS:X, etc.)
-at least 192kHz/32-Bit DAC
-as much clean power as possible

Here are the units I am considering.
-Pioneer Elite SC-99 - a bit leary about Elite now that Onkyo bought them but specs look great
-Pioneer Elite SC-97 - a bit leary about Elite now that Onkyo bought them but specs look great
-Integra DTR 60.6 - older than the DTR 50.7 (is a 60.7 due out soon?)
-Integra DTR 50.7 - new, but minimal number of channels
-Denon AVR-X7200WA - new
-Denon AVR-X5200W - older than other AVR-X units (I hear AVR-X6200W comes out in October)
-Denon AVR-X4200W - new, but minimal number of channels
-Marantz SR7010 - new
-Marantz SR700 - older than other SR units
-Marantz SR6010 - new, but minimal number of channels
-Onkyo TX-RZ900 - new, but minimal number of channels (seems like Onkyo line does not want to compete with Integra)

Given my list of requirements, which of the above should I rule out? Similarly, what should I consider that I left out? I did consider Arcam AVR450 or AVR750 as well as NAD T787, but they don't meet all my requirements. I am not a fan of Yamaha.

I am currently favoring the SC-97 and DTR-50.7, although if a DTR 60.7 were to be released any time soon it replace the DTR 50.7. Cost is not so much the deciding factor - the other items are more important. I want to stay below $3,500.
Hi, I read your post and saw that you have the Integra DTR 50.7 on your possibles list. Have you made your purchase? I just got this receiver from Integra as I had an older model that they couldn't repair and they just gave me this one (amazing customer service). But this unit is simply overkill for my needs and I'd like to sell it. If you're interested you can email me at mattdon1 at verizon dot net.

I assume I'm not breaking any forum rules by reaching out like this. If I am I apologize...

Matt D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon , Elite , Integra , Marantz , receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page