Musiccast Yamaha Experiences? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #31 of 99 Old 10-24-2016, 04:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnersfella View Post
No one has the whole package, no one.
Perfectly true, and believe me, I wish Sonos had high-res. The fact it does not is the main reason I purchased a Musiccast receiver to try alongside my Sonos system.

But there's a reason Sonos is dominating the market -- NOT Heos or any of the other systems you noted. The Sonos app (their software) works out of the box, no memorizations of acronyms required, and their hardware works for the vast majority of people who aren't seeking high-res capabilities and better components.

Musiccast will never survive without better software, plain and simple. I'm rooting for it, because I like the hardware, but right now it is not ready for prime time. The app is half the product, and half of a product gone wrong is a big deal.
Joe Fernand and verypsb like this.

"These go to eleven."

Equipment: Goldenear Triton Ones, SuperCenter XXL, Aon 2 surrounds, Invisa 650 ceiling speakers, Oppo BD 103d, Marantz 7702 mk2, Outlaw 2200 M-block (2) & 7125 7-channel, Roku 4, Sonos, and way too many old speakers, including an original pair of Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s, one of the flattest frequency bookshelf speakers SoundStage ever measured.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 99 Old 10-24-2016, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenMindAudio View Post
But there's a reason Sonos is dominating the market -- NOT Heos or any of the other systems you noted. The Sonos app (their software) works out of the box, no memorizations of acronyms required, and their hardware works for the vast majority of people who aren't seeking high-res capabilities and better components.
I'm no Sonos supporter at all, but I have to agree here... ;-)
It maybe even tells us that these days the software is MORE important than the hardware for the vast majority of people.

Best regards,
Dennis.
OpenMindAudio likes this.

Last edited by verypsb; 10-24-2016 at 05:24 AM.
post #33 of 99 Old 10-25-2016, 01:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 800 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23696 Post(s)
Liked: 13047
Quote:
Perfectly true, and believe me, I wish Sonos had high-res. The fact it does not is the main reason I purchased a Musiccast receiver to try alongside my Sonos system.

Musiccast will never survive without better software, plain and simple. I'm rooting for it, because I like the hardware, but right now it is not ready for prime time. The app is half the product, and half of a product gone wrong is a big deal.

Or perhaps it's because Sonos has been around for 15 years and HEOS only 2 years and MusicCast only 1 year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 99 Old 10-25-2016, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
... and MusicCast only 1 year.
You could argue about that. Yamaha tried before in the early 2000s with the MusicCast line-up. MCX-1000, MCX-2000, MCX-A10, MCX-A300, MCX-C15.
But what did we say again about media streamers without good software support?

Best regards,
Dennis.
OpenMindAudio likes this.

Last edited by verypsb; 10-25-2016 at 04:48 AM.
post #35 of 99 Old 10-25-2016, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Or perhaps it's because Sonos has been around for 15 years and HEOS only 2 years and MusicCast only 1 year.
I bought my first Sonos system in 2006, so quite early in its product cycle. The Sonos software from 10 years ago was about, er, 10 years ahead of where the Musiccast software is today.

Honestly, I don't think the time in the market is a factor here. To the contrary, Yamaha should have learned from the success of Sonos.
verypsb likes this.

"These go to eleven."

Equipment: Goldenear Triton Ones, SuperCenter XXL, Aon 2 surrounds, Invisa 650 ceiling speakers, Oppo BD 103d, Marantz 7702 mk2, Outlaw 2200 M-block (2) & 7125 7-channel, Roku 4, Sonos, and way too many old speakers, including an original pair of Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s, one of the flattest frequency bookshelf speakers SoundStage ever measured.
post #36 of 99 Old 10-29-2016, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellebob View Post
Each system has their pros and cons and it depends on one's needs which will be best for a given situation.

Sonos Pros
Its own network which not only extends the network but doesn't tie up Wifi bandwidth.
Great selection of music services
Works with Apple Music which is a request by many people
Best integration for whole house music
Apps for computers as well as phones and tablets
Has Mood:Mix for commercial applications

Sonos Cons
Play bar doesn't support DTS - Not the end of the world for most. Pretty much only Discs use DTS so get a player than can re-encode to Dolby Digital
Many TVs are not capable of 5.1 from their optical output - You will get stereo so it is not like you don't get sound but the Playbar definitely does better with a Dolby digital signal. If buying a TV and plan on using a Playbar make sure your TV can process Dolby Digital.
Proprietary equipment

MusicCast Pros
Can handle lossless formats above CD quality
Greatest number of devices, receivers (stereo and surround), Zone2 on receivers, sound bars, wirless speakers, amps, pre-amps
Probably the best app - sunnjective
USB inputs can be used on devices that have them and works with an NAS connected to the USB.

MusicCast Cons
More limited services, no Apple Music
If streaming lossless only about 3 different streams before WiFi problems and this is with nothing else on Wifi. This can be less if you have people watching Netflix or doing other things on the network. About 10 different streams for most lossy streaming services. To clarify by different streams I mean different music not the same music in multiple rooms. The same stream in multiple rooms is OK.
Proprietary equipment but with a huge number of options
I started the thread "SONOS vs MusicCast" and just want to add some items to your lists:

Sonos Pros
Its own network which not only extends the network but doesn't tie up Wifi bandwidth.
*Can add a song directly to existing queue/playlist
*Includes Alarm
*Can play Napster files > 44 khz resolution
*Can search all services/NAS at once

Sonos Cons
Play bar doesn't support DTS - Not the end of the world for most. Pretty much only Discs use DTS so get a player than can re-encode to Dolby Digital
Many TVs are not capable of 5.1 from their optical output - You will get stereo so it is not like you don't get sound but the Playbar definitely does better with a Dolby digital signal. If buying a TV and plan on using a Playbar make sure your TV can process Dolby Digital.
Proprietary equipment
*Can not play large playlists ~ 2,500 maximum
*Constant WiFi issues with high resolution audio (regardless which channel you set SONOS) [NOTE: Not an issue with hard wired networked SONOS products]
*Lack of headphone jack on all equipment (luckily I own an older PLAY5 that has one)

MusicCast Pros
Greatest number of devices, receivers (stereo and surround), Zone2 on receivers, sound bars, wirless speakers, amps, pre-amps
Probably the best app - subjective
USB inputs can be used on devices that have them and works with an NAS connected to the USB.
* Can play any playlist size [NOTE: my largest playlist is 15,000+ tracks]

MusicCast Cons
If streaming lossless only about 3 different streams before WiFi problems and this is with nothing else on Wifi. This can be less if you have people watching Netflix or doing other things on the network. About 10 different streams for most lossy streaming services. To clarify by different streams I mean different music not the same music in multiple rooms. The same stream in multiple rooms is OK.
* Can not stream Napster above 44 khz
* No Alarm function
* Can not add a song to the existing queue, because that one song will replace your entire queue.
* Search only works in one service at a time.
* MusicCast receivers w/multi zone capability can only play the same song at a time to each zone. [NOTE: Solution is the same as SONOS, to buy a separate product for each zone]

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #37 of 99 Old 11-27-2016, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
Check out the Denon HEOS system...
Many awesome features...

Just my $0.02...
Why. Is it better than Yamaha for some reason? Have you tried both? What is good about Heos?
Obvious questions...
post #38 of 99 Old 11-27-2016, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post
I started the thread "SONOS vs MusicCast" and just want to add some items to your lists:

Sonos Pros

That's not accurate. Of course it uses some of your network bandwidth. Just in its own channel. Doesn't mean it's not using bandwidth.

That can only be played through Sonos proprietary app and it often leaves out features of using the apps on their own.

Why is it best?

Hmm, they all have tablet and phone apps, don't know many people who would use a PC or mac for this but OK.

*Can add a song directly to existing queue/playlist
*Includes Alarm
*Can play Napster files > 44 khz resolution
*Can search all services/NAS at once

Sonos Cons

The Playbar is grossly outdated. Only one optical port and no HDMI. Charging $699 for this is a crime. No hi-res either. it doesn't even sound that good compared to more modern sound bars in it's price range and lower. Sonos doesn't not do true 5.1 either.

Proprietary equipment
*Can not play large playlists ~ 2,500 maximum
*Constant WiFi issues with high resolution audio (regardless which channel you set SONOS) [NOTE: Not an issue with hard wired networked SONOS products]
*Lack of headphone jack on all equipment (luckily I own an older PLAY5 that has one)

MusicCast Pros

Also bluetooth devices.

Probably the best app - subjective
* Can play any playlist size [NOTE: my largest playlist is 15,000+ tracks]

MusicCast Cons

No Apple iCloud music but if you download it to your device (uncurling Apple Music) you can play it or just use Airplay which is in pretty much every Yamaha device.

If streaming lossless only about 3 different streams before WiFi problems and this is with nothing else on Wifi.

I have not had that experience at all. Something wrong with your wi-fi setup.

This can be less if you have people watching Netflix or doing other things on the network. About 10 different streams for most lossy streaming services. To clarify by different streams I mean different music not the same music in multiple rooms. The same stream in multiple rooms is OK.
* Can not stream Napster above 44 khz

People still use Napster?

* No Alarm function
* Can not add a song to the existing queue, because that one song will replace your entire queue.
* Search only works in one service at a time.
* MusicCast receivers w/multi zone capability can only play the same song at a time to each zone. [NOTE: Solution is the same as SONOS, to buy a separate product for each zone]

I've used both as well as whole house Airplay which is a far cheaper, better sounding, and much more flexible solution than Sonos.
Sonos is a joke at this point. It is only for people who want the most brand dead simple way of doing things and don't mind paying way more for less. I'm not especially price sensitive but I did return $2500 of Sonos gear. No wonder they are laying people off and doing so poorly financially. They sat on their hands and milked their market while others surged ahead.

Music cast is far better for many reasons and Blue-sound is also offering a great solution and is constantly innovating.
SimpleTheater likes this.
post #39 of 99 Old 11-27-2016, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I bought my first Sonos system in 2006, so quite early in its product cycle. The Sonos software from 10 years ago was about, er, 10 years ahead of where the Musiccast software is today.
Having used both that is just laughable and completely untrue.
post #40 of 99 Old 11-27-2016, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Music cast has been around since 2003 but was recently revamped.
post #41 of 99 Old 11-28-2016, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCyclist View Post
Having used both that is just laughable and completely untrue.
Really?

Musiccast without queue management? Musiccast not being able to browse a moderate library without having to wait every few entries? Musiccast without search?
post #42 of 99 Old 11-28-2016, 01:27 AM

Quote:
I've used both as well as whole house Airplay which is a far cheaper, better sounding, and much more flexible solution than Sonos.
Better sounding? Because airplay always resamples everything to 44.1Khz? Using an Apple TV it's even worse, it resamples everything to 48Khz.
post #43 of 99 Old 11-28-2016, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by verypsb View Post
I'm no Sonos supporter at all, but I have to agree here... ;-)
It maybe even tells us that these days the software is MORE important than the hardware for the vast majority of people.

Best regards,
Dennis.

Audiophiles make up such a small portion of the market. Most soccer moms and teens just want it to work seamlessly with no hassles! Click app, play music...ezpz
post #44 of 99 Old 11-28-2016, 03:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 140
OK guys, thanks for sharing. Was looking into the Musiccast system to see if it was better than the AVR app that also only sport a rudimentary feature set. Ie no search and no dynamic playlists. On my PC i have Jriver and it detects my 2040 avr and the server. It has all the features i could ever dream about. Now im looking for an app for my phone (android) to replace the yamaha app to get a better music playing featureset. The all seem a little half a...d.

Any recommendations?
post #45 of 99 Old 11-28-2016, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Music cast has been around since 2003 but was recently revamped.
Interested to hear the features you like about Musiccast. As stated, for me, the complete absence of a search function for my music library makes it a non-started. If it has a workable queue function, as a recent update claims, I also have not been able to find it. But that's secondary to the oversight of not having search.

"These go to eleven."

post #46 of 99 Old 11-28-2016, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interested to hear the features you like about Musiccast. As stated, for me, the complete absence of a search function for my music library makes it a non-started. If it has a workable queue function, as a recent update claims, I also have not been able to find it. But that's secondary to the oversight of not having search.
On the latest MusicCast app, hold your finger down on a song, and it will bring up a menu to a)add to queue b) play next and a few other items.

post #47 of 99 Old 11-30-2016, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
with everyone on this thread talking about DTS Play fi I thought i would comment on something the blew my mind... well at least interesting... I saw more then a few people talking about streaming in better then CD quality using this ecosystem

https://play-fi.com/faq/entry/suppor...d-file-quality

1. it only supports 24/192 to one player at a time.. if you want more players for a multiroom function it will downgrade to 16/44
2. and a deal breaker for me was that it uses your phone or tablet as a dlna device meaning it streams to your DTS Playfi players through your phone! What will happen if you run out to the car in your driveway to grab something and go out of your router range.? It will just drop the stream. !!! not to mention the battery drain.

So really the only true game in town is SONOS up to cd quality and Bluesound as a more premium option
SimpleTheater likes this.
post #48 of 99 Old 01-24-2017, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Quote:
On the latest MusicCast app, hold your finger down on a song, and it will bring up a menu to a)add to queue b) play next and a few other items.
For Christmas, I bought Yamaha 3050 on sale to refresh my 15 year old home theater system. I had DLNA already set up, but was using Plex via cell phone to cast to Bluetooth receivers plugged into my line in jacks. Bluetooth is too flakey and dropped out if you walked into another room with your phone or walked to close to the BT receiver.

The ability to stream 88, 96 and 192 flac from my DLNA server without track gaps and with never a dropout seriously impressed me. The core functionality of this system works solidly.

I decided to expand my little music empire and picked up the WXA-050 for our bedroom. I was a little concerned it would be under powered since I have gone with Sony ES 80 or 90 watt amps in the past. But the reality is I never play music that loud in the bedroom, so I gave the WXA a try.

Setup was super easy, it found my network, the app on my phone found the WXA and I was in business in about 10 minutes. Link and unlink to my 3050 works without any echo. They may not be millisecond synced, but I can walk around the house and the music is continuous which is what I wanted.

It sound very good driving my Polk 8 Ohm speakers. I don't know if it is as good as the ES because I'm not going to spend hours comparing them. It sounds way better than good enough for bedroom / satellite system.

Yes, the app needs some cosmetic things, but some caching and a better search are easy to add on and I would expect to see them improve this in the next year. After all, they don't need to spend time fixing the playback or networking, that stuff works.

My wish list would be:
Better caching of DLNA content on the application host
Search of DLNA content
Sleep timer
Needs track total time as well as elapsed time
SimpleTheater and rmjb like this.

Last edited by andr0id; 01-24-2017 at 06:10 PM.
post #49 of 99 Old 01-25-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andr0id View Post
For Christmas, I bought Yamaha 3050 on sale to refresh my 15 year old home theater system. I had DLNA already set up, but was using Plex via cell phone to cast to Bluetooth receivers plugged into my line in jacks. Bluetooth is too flakey and dropped out if you walked into another room with your phone or walked to close to the BT receiver.

The ability to stream 88, 96 and 192 flac from my DLNA server without track gaps and with never a dropout seriously impressed me. The core functionality of this system works solidly.

I decided to expand my little music empire and picked up the WXA-050 for our bedroom. I was a little concerned it would be under powered since I have gone with Sony ES 80 or 90 watt amps in the past. But the reality is I never play music that loud in the bedroom, so I gave the WXA a try.

Setup was super easy, it found my network, the app on my phone found the WXA and I was in business in about 10 minutes. Link and unlink to my 3050 works without any echo. They may not be millisecond synced, but I can walk around the house and the music is continuous which is what I wanted.

It sound very good driving my Polk 8 Ohm speakers. I don't know if it is as good as the ES because I'm not going to spend hours comparing them. It sounds way better than good enough for bedroom / satellite system.

Yes, the app needs some cosmetic things, but some caching and a better search are easy to add on and I would expect to see them improve this in the next year. After all, they don't need to spend time fixing the playback or networking, that stuff works.

My wish list would be:
Search of DLNA content
Sleep timer
That's great to hear. I've enjoyed the Musiccast receiver I kept. It sounds terrific playing high-res, and since I don't live on the music services and have Sonos for the members of my family that do, it works just fine, powering the speakers in our living room.

I keep a Sonos Connect hooked up to the Musiccast receiver - a bit ironic I suppose - but that allows us to stream whole house with all the Sonos convenience.

But just for listening to high-res in that room, I enjoy the Musiccast system.

I did recently test out a Heos Link 2. Their interface is ahead of Musiccast right now (but still solidly behind Sonos) - has search, many more music services, and a better playlist function. I'll be wrapping up a review soon comparing Sonos, Heos 2, Musiccast, and the super-cheap Chromecast Audio - may be something I just post here on AVS.

"These go to eleven."

post #50 of 99 Old 01-25-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andr0id View Post

My wish list would be:
Search of DLNA content
Sleep timer
PS - I'm not so sure Yamaha will be adding search. So far, they don't appear to be making efforts of any consequence to improve the Musiccast app. Again, hope I am wrong.

"These go to eleven."

post #51 of 99 Old 01-27-2017, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
PS - I'm not so sure Yamaha will be adding search. So far, they don't appear to be making efforts of any consequence to improve the Musiccast app. Again, hope I am wrong.
They added a queue in the last update.

post #52 of 99 Old 02-05-2017, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Actually they are adding features fairly regularly.
post #53 of 99 Old 02-06-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron4044 View Post
Actually they are adding features fairly regularly.
I own a Musiccast receiver and beg to differ. Since Oct. 20, 2016, they've added one thing - tips to show you how to use the app. They also moved the search function down a level to the screen for each source, perhaps to mask the embarrassing absence of search for people with music servers.
SimpleTheater and ursineguy like this.

"These go to eleven."

post #54 of 99 Old 03-02-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I own a Musiccast receiver and beg to differ. Since Oct. 20, 2016, they've added one thing - tips to show you how to use the app. They also moved the search function down a level to the screen for each source, perhaps to mask the embarrassing absence of search for people with music servers.
Anyone else have experience with these networked audio apps?
  • Heos 2 by Denon
  • Bluesound 2
  • Google Chromecast Audio

Curious to know opinions on their usability.

"These go to eleven."

post #55 of 99 Old 06-27-2017, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I haven't been here for a long time, was searching for an answer on MusicCast and found this thread. Had to get my ID reset. I owned a Yamaha RX-V2700 for years, I upgraded recently to a RX-A1060 with MusicCast. I bought one speaker to try it out. I liked it, showed it to my wife and she agreed, she liked it too. So we bought two more. Then a fourth a few months ago.

We now have a six zone system that my wife uses more than I do. She has never loved audio equipment (except to enjoy home theater, which I always ran), but now she's a huge fan of this system. I'm talking daily use. I've read about people complaining about the app, however, my wife just took to it like water off a duck's back. I also think it's pretty well done. While I'm a tech guy, my wife is not and has been quite vocal in the past when things are a pain in the butt to use. This she just uses, it's just easy.

What I was looking for was a way to wirelessly add speakers in zones that would have cost me either hours or hundreds if not thousands of dollars to run wires. It connects up my home theater into a whole house sound system. Simply by plugging in a few speakers. I looked at Sonos and after speaking with sales guys and tech guys I never came away with a feeling I could play a record on my turntable and have it come out of the Sonos. Again, I'm a tech guy, perhaps the people I spoke to couldn't grasp that simple need, but it seemed like it would take all kinds of pieces of equipment and (ugh) Blue Tooth to make it happen.

MusicCast just seamlessly connect my whole house. It works, we can listen to different music or the same, our choice. As far as sound quality goes, I'll stick with my HiFi Man headphones, but for ambiance and sharing during a get together, this is simply the easiest and most family friendly I have seen to date.
SimpleTheater, rmjb and ramsbottom like this.
post #56 of 99 Old 07-02-2017, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I used Musiccast for several months and recently threw in the towel and moved over to Sonos.

I find the Musiccast app to be severely lacking, with significant updates few and far between.

Sonos isn’t perfect and has some definite downsides. The upsides to Sonos make it really hard to beat right now.
post #57 of 99 Old 09-17-2017, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Question

Quote:
I don't see 'add to queue' option when playing music from my phone. Is there a way to fix it? I do see 'add to queue' option when browsing music from Plex server on NAS
post #58 of 99 Old 09-21-2017, 04:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post
I don't see 'add to queue' option when playing music from my phone. Is there a way to fix it? I do see 'add to queue' option when browsing music from Plex server on NAS
Sorry for the late reply.

The current track can not be added, as it's already in the queue, but if you just hold down on a track in your library you should see this screen (see attached image).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0256.PNG
Views:	87
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	2285696  

post #59 of 99 Old 09-22-2017, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Sorry for the late reply.

The current track can not be added, as it's already in the queue, but if you just hold down on a track in your library you should see this screen (see attached image).
Is this track in phone;s local storage or on a server?
post #60 of 99 Old 09-25-2017, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post
Is this track in phone;s local storage or on a server?
That track is on Napster. I didn't try it on my local server, but will do it tonight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
musiccast , Sonos , whole home audio , wireless , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page