Musiccast Yamaha Experiences? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #61 of 98 Old 09-28-2017, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdoc1 View Post
Is this track in phone;s local storage or on a server?
From my music server, this is what I see
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-09-28-19-22-22.png
Views:	190
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	2289594  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 98 Old 11-30-2017, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can't get Musiccast WX-010 speakers to work. I have a TSR5830 connected to network via Ethernet. Wired speakers working fine. Purchased two WX-010's, used Musiccast app to set them up. Indicator lights show they are connected to network wirelessly. Updated firmware in Receiver and speakers. I have not succeeded in getting any sound out of the WX-010s. The speaker configuration is front - left, center, right, subwoofer, and the WX-010 paired as rear surround.

My intent was to have the WX-010s work no matter what the source (Airplay, Spotify, CD player, TV etc). Isn't this possible?
post #63 of 98 Old 11-30-2017, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 1438
I don't think you can use Musiccast speakers as surrounds in a 5.1 setup.

Afro GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 98 Old 12-01-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
I don't think you can use Musiccast speakers as surrounds in a 5.1 setup.
I don't have Config -> Power Amp -> 5.1 checked. I have Surround Back - Smallx2 set and Virtual Cinema Front off. Using MusicCast I can get streaming sound through WX-010s or Receiver, but not all at the same time even though I have them linked.

Another Glitch. When I use the Yamaha AV controller app and select Apple TV as the source, I have picture but no sound ( I am using an Arc HDMI). If I don't use the app, Apple TV works normally. I made sure the sound was turned up in the app.

Progress seems to be like taking baby steps with all this stuff.
post #65 of 98 Old 12-01-2017, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richinwalla View Post
I don't have Config -> Power Amp -> 5.1 checked. I have Surround Back - Smallx2 set and Virtual Cinema Front off. Using MusicCast I can get streaming sound through WX-010s or Receiver, but not all at the same time even though I have them linked.

Another Glitch. When I use the Yamaha AV controller app and select Apple TV as the source, I have picture but no sound ( I am using an Arc HDMI). If I don't use the app, Apple TV works normally. I made sure the sound was turned up in the app.

Progress seems to be like taking baby steps with all this stuff.
I think what you are trying is a non starter. The WX-010's are not meant to be used as wireless backs at all. They are intended to be used as a separate zone in another room. When used in this matter play any source on the receiver then use the app, select the receiver as master source and link the WX-010's to sync. If you want wireless backs I would go another route. You need something to radio the rear signal to the backs which musiccast does not do on its own. If pulling wire to the rears is not an option look for a wireless speaker / transmitter designed for this purpose. Good luck.
post #66 of 98 Old 12-01-2017, 11:26 AM

I'm trying to achieve what the Musiccast Brochure below shows. Any source playing through all speakers. MusicCast doesn't know if the speakers are in the same or different rooms. I don't care if the WX's carry surround - in fact if they carried the center channel that would be great. I want to hear dialog more clearly.
I did achieve having all speakers on with Airplay and itunes, and it sounds great. So Airplay and my network sees the speakers.

I also found out that Airplay from a mobile device only plays to one device (speaker or receiver) at a time. Bummer.

Strangely, the MusicCast app doesn't recognize the WX's. Once it does I'll link them to the Receiver. I even input the IP addresses for the speakers so I don't know whats going on here.
Thanks Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	musiccast.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	234.6 KB
ID:	2324108  
post #67 of 98 Old 12-01-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richinwalla View Post
I'm trying to achieve what the Musiccast Brochure below shows. Any source playing through all speakers. MusicCast doesn't know if the speakers are in the same or different rooms. I don't care if the WX's carry surround - in fact if they carried the center channel that would be great. I want to hear dialog more clearly.
I did achieve having all speakers on with Airplay and itunes, and it sounds great. So Airplay and my network sees the speakers.

I also found out that Airplay from a mobile device only plays to one device (speaker or receiver) at a time. Bummer.

Strangely, the MusicCast app doesn't recognize the WX's. Once it does I'll link them to the Receiver. I even input the IP addresses for the speakers so I don't know whats going on here.
Thanks Rich
Got the WX's connected to receiver so now I have all speakers working with TV. A possible downside to Wifi speakers is the delay in speach between video and sound. I'll adjust lipsync to see what happens.
post #68 of 98 Old 12-28-2017, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I own an Aventage A660 (aka a 581) and the WX-010 speaker.

What I’d like to do is stream HDMI2 to the WX-010. Is this possible?

On the Musiccast app, under the speaker, none of my HDMI sources appear. Now, if I create a Zone B, I can see my HDMI sources, but have no means by which I can attach the speaker to it.

I briefly spoke with Yamaha support and they said what I want to do is possible. That being said, I started digging and found out that HDMI over Zone B is not possible until the 1060 series and above. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #69 of 98 Old 12-28-2017, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think I might be missing some context...is there an issue with simply selecting HDMI2 on the receiver and then linking it to the wx-010 in the musiccast app? The wx--010 cannot select sources from other devices. It can however link to another device already playing its native sources.
post #70 of 98 Old 12-29-2017, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno2005 View Post
I think I might be missing some context...is there an issue with simply selecting HDMI2 on the receiver and then linking it to the wx-010 in the musiccast app? The wx--010 cannot select sources from other devices. It can however link to another device already playing its native sources.

Well, after my third call into Yamaha I’ve got it figured out.

Yes, I had to link the speaker to my A660 so I could access HDMI2. Effectively what that does is repeat the same source.

However, having both sources on late night is an issue for me. My workaround is to mute the A660. More steps than what I wanted, but I can live with it.

It looks like I’d have to go up to a 1060 for it to work the way I want it to.

Happy New Year everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #71 of 98 Old 05-20-2018, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
MusicCast and Deezer

Has anyone had problems with using Deezer inside MusicCast ?

When I select Deezer (Flow or playlists) inside the MusicCast app in my Android, randomly the music stops. It does not happen with Internet Radio.
post #72 of 98 Old 05-20-2018, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Amaro View Post
Has anyone had problems with using Deezer inside MusicCast ?

When I select Deezer (Flow or playlists) inside the MusicCast app in my Android, randomly the music stops. It does not happen with Internet Radio.
Yes, I had this problem. It is not a MusicCast issue, it is your ISPs. I have Spectrum and their default DNS server is slow (very). The solution is to go into your router and change the default DNS to Google's (8.8.8.8). My Cable/Router was unable to do this, it would only accept the defaults. I bought a new modem/router and I have gone 11 months without the music randomly stopping (it used to happen, like you said, randomly, every 15 minutes to every couple of hours).
rmjb likes this.

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #73 of 98 Old 05-20-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post
Yes, I had this problem. It is not a MusicCast issue, it is your ISPs. I have Spectrum and their default DNS server is slow (very). The solution is to go into your router and change the default DNS to Google's (8.8.8.8). My Cable/Router was unable to do this, it would only accept the defaults. I bought a new modem/router and I have gone 11 months without the music randomly stopping (it used to happen, like you said, randomly, every 15 minutes to every couple of hours).

Thanks for the hint. But with internet radio (which obviously uses the same network) I never had the problem. Also never noticed a problem when playing Deezer directly in my computer.
So I am not sure it is due to the DNS.

Even today I started a playlist in Deezer using MusicCast to my Yamaha system, and right on the first song, it stop halfway.
post #74 of 98 Old 05-21-2018, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the hint. But with internet radio (which obviously uses the same network) I never had the problem. Also never noticed a problem when playing Deezer directly in my computer.
So I am not sure it is due to the DNS.

Even today I started a playlist in Deezer using MusicCast to my Yamaha system, and right on the first song, it stop halfway.
Internet radio won't cause a problem because it's not queuing up another song - it's simply playing a stream. Your computer won't have a problem because the MusicCast system is heavily dependent on the DNS servers, where as SONOS and Google Play (and a bunch of other services) simply don't depend on the DNS servers the way MusicCast does. Seriously, I've been through EVERY scenario, had every question you've had, and the solution was the slow DNS servers. MusicCast relies heavily on them (don't ask me why) and changing them to the Google ones worked.

post #75 of 98 Old 05-21-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleTheater View Post
Internet radio won't cause a problem because it's not queuing up another song - it's simply playing a stream. Your computer won't have a problem because the MusicCast system is heavily dependent on the DNS servers, where as SONOS and Google Play (and a bunch of other services) simply don't depend on the DNS servers the way MusicCast does. Seriously, I've been through EVERY scenario, had every question you've had, and the solution was the slow DNS servers. MusicCast relies heavily on them (don't ask me why) and changing them to the Google ones worked.

Well, in that case I need to change my DNS settings. As I have the Yamaha wirelessly connected to an access point, do you think if I configure the access point to Google DNS, it is enough ? Or do I also need to change in the ISP router ?
Problem with the ISP router is that it is not under my control, and even if I can change its settings, it regularly gets back to default due to the ISP remote resets.
post #76 of 98 Old 05-21-2018, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, in that case I need to change my DNS settings. As I have the Yamaha wirelessly connected to an access point, do you think if I configure the access point to Google DNS, it is enough ? Or do I also need to change in the ISP router ?
Problem with the ISP router is that it is not under my control, and even if I can change its settings, it regularly gets back to default due to the ISP remote resets.
Unfortunately the router is the issue. I actually tried to set my Yamaha 3060 network settings, but it just wouldn't work - it's the router controlling everything. My other issue was my router just couldn't change DNS settings as it just wasn't an option in the administrator settings. So I bought one from Amazon that could, knowing if it didn't work I would just send it back.

Good luck.

post #77 of 98 Old 05-21-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:

I have now configured the ISP router to use Google DNS. Hopefully it solves the problem and my ISP does not change them.
post #78 of 98 Old 05-22-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I have now configured the ISP router to use Google DNS. Hopefully it solves the problem and my ISP does not change them.

To my disappointment I have to say changing the DNS in the ISP router did not solve the problem. Yesterday evening, after the change, I was quite happy as I got to listen to several classical music tracks in a Deezer playlist without interruptions.

Today I started a Dire Straits playlist and a few songs afterwards the problem was back. Halfway in Money for Nothing and it stopped.

So here I am back to square one trying to find out where the problem might be.

Any other ideas ?
post #79 of 98 Old 05-23-2018, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
To my disappointment I have to say changing the DNS in the ISP router did not solve the problem. Yesterday evening, after the change, I was quite happy as I got to listen to several classical music tracks in a Deezer playlist without interruptions.

Today I started a Dire Straits playlist and a few songs afterwards the problem was back. Halfway in Money for Nothing and it stopped.

So here I am back to square one trying to find out where the problem might be.

Any other ideas ?
So you changed it the DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and it didn't work? The first thing I would check is to make sure the router hasn't changed the DNS servers back to the default.

I'd go to this website: https://www.ultratools.com/tools/dnsHostingSpeedResult and test the speed. The average should be under 30 ms. Maybe try Open DNS servers (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220)

Lastly, I'd check your own internet speed using SpeedTest.net (you shouldn't drop below 7 mbps) for download speed, or you may have some issues.

Let us know how it goes.

post #80 of 98 Old 05-23-2018, 12:44 PM

hello
just checked everything now
the router keeps the google dns. but i only configured for ipv4. do you think there is a need to do the same for ipv6 ?

regarding speeds:

in ultratools site i tried the deezer.com site and got an average speed between 18 and 26 ms
in speedtest i have a download rate of 397 mbps and upload of 100, with ping of 2 ms for my isp servers
for server in the us east coast (i am in west europe) i get download of 367, upload of 72 and ping of 108 ms

all of this while i have deezer playing in the yamaha and video stream playing in my computer

regarding dns, i heard that the fastest one now is from cloudfare
post #81 of 98 Old 05-24-2018, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
the router keeps the google dns. but i only configured for ipv4. do you think there is a need to do the same for ipv6 ?
I would definitely configure both, you never know what DNS is being chosen by the router.

Quote:
in ultratools site i tried the deezer.com site and got an average speed between 18 and 26 ms
in speedtest i have a download rate of 397 mbps and upload of 100, with ping of 2 ms for my isp servers
for server in the us east coast (i am in west europe) i get download of 367, upload of 72 and ping of 108 ms

all of this while i have deezer playing in the yamaha and video stream playing in my computer

regarding dns, i heard that the fastest one now is from cloudfare
Those speeds are fantastic. Did you have a problem yesterday while testing?

post #82 of 98 Old 05-24-2018, 10:36 AM

when i got home yesterday and started deezer, i got twice the problem right at the beginning. but for the rest of the evening it was perfect. just started again with another playlist. hopefully all is solved now.

just a side question: today i notice that deezer inside musiccast is suggesting me a lot o serbian / balkan focused playlist. the pc desktop app does not. i wonder why this is happening as i have nothing to do with serbia and even geographically i am quite far away. could it be the google dns tricking the app somehow ?
post #83 of 98 Old 05-25-2018, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
just a side question: today i notice that deezer inside musiccast is suggesting me a lot o serbian / balkan focused playlist. the pc desktop app does not. i wonder why this is happening as i have nothing to do with serbia and even geographically i am quite far away. could it be the google dns tricking the app somehow ?
No idea as I've never been recommended serbian/balkan playlists. Your desktop computer will be using the same DNS settings, since everything is coming from your router, so I'm surprised its not showing the same recommendations.

post #84 of 98 Old 05-25-2018, 10:18 AM

feedback on yesterday's session

deezer played perfect for the entire evening with a long playlist.... except when it was already half way on the 3rd last song and it stopped again

it is clearly a huge improvement compared to the previous usual behavior and not really something to be worried about. but i will keep on testing further days just to be sure.

edit:

today i got a freeze pretty early on a playlist, but did not happen again. so probably the issue is not fully solved with the dns change and seems to have made a good positive impact. i wonder now how much of deezer own servers are not to be blamed.

on top of that i have been noticing that in some songs, right at their beginning, some distortion happens. it is very quick like jumping or missing a beat. for the rest of the song it does not happen.
anyone sees the same problem ?

another guess on deezer is that the deezer+ subscription is not perfect so you get motivated to move to the hifi subscription, mainly when you use a hifi system.

Last edited by Paulo Amaro; 05-25-2018 at 02:39 PM.
post #85 of 98 Old 05-30-2018, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a WXC-50, WXA-50, and NP-S303. A couple of weeks ago, there was a firmware update for all of them and I started having problems. The songs are choppy at the start.

Since I'm new I couldn't post this as a link youtube<dot>com/watch?v=di-_vkZRV2k

I happened to take my WXC-50 to my parents for show my dad how the streamer work. I was having problems connecting, so I factory defaulted it. After that it played fine. Unfortunately I can't find direction on how to default a NP-S303.
post #86 of 98 Old 06-15-2018, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 42
MusicCast from Android is not connecting...gives an error @20315. I also was trying to connect my laptop wirelessly to the AVR on the same WiFi or connected it to wired network...nothing is syncing. It found my bedroom computer on the network but said no access. Sorry to ask how to get this to connect. TIA
post #87 of 98 Old 06-30-2018, 02:38 AM

For the past few days the number of freezes has increased dramatically. I can not have a playlist playing without is stopping every 3 or 4 tracks. My yamaha did a firmware upgrade recently. Musiccast seems to never have updates. I am getting really frustrated with this Yamaha-Musiccast-Deezer situation. Instead of sitting down and relaxing to music I have to keep on pressing play... really an idiot thing.
post #88 of 98 Old 08-17-2018, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
For the past few days the number of freezes has increased dramatically. I can not have a playlist playing without is stopping every 3 or 4 tracks. My yamaha did a firmware upgrade recently. Musiccast seems to never have updates. I am getting really frustrated with this Yamaha-Musiccast-Deezer situation. Instead of sitting down and relaxing to music I have to keep on pressing play... really an idiot thing.
I had some issues with Tidal on my WX-010 and iOS app, but Deezer works good when I'm using either iOS musiccast app or mac's yamacast app. Maybe you should restore your speaker to factory defaults?
post #89 of 98 Old 08-25-2018, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone having luck with SiriusXM? Listening to SiriusXM via the Musiccast app is pretty hit or miss for me.
post #90 of 98 Old 02-20-2019, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone using MusicCast 20 for rear wireless surround? Have things settled down with new firmware or are there still issues with latency and drops?

Also, anyone pick up a stand for the MusicCast 20? Hard to find one that works given the weird shape of the speaker. I understand as a bookshelf why it isn't important but as surrounds a stand is necessary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
musiccast , Sonos , whole home audio , wireless , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page