Arcam AVR-850 & Arcam AVR-550 - Page 108 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3248Likes

post #3211 of 3343 Old 06-06-2019, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I can confirm that I've noticed this issue as well but toggling dirac on/off/on does the trick. Dirac 2.0 works for me but only on one of my computers. Not sure what the deal is there really. I had long email exchange with them but in the end I grew tired of doing their work for them.

On a different note, now after having owned the receiver for a couple of years almost I'm still happy with it. I don't have any major issues with it at all really. It would be cool if the software felt rock solid but not sure if any product has that now a days. All my previous receivers have all had hardware issues which is far more annoying. Weird noises, channel imbalances, channels changing levels or turning of completely and so on. None of that with the Arcam and I find it being a better preamp than my previous receivers by far.

Room| Treated | Sound| Front: Ino Audio i32s, Center: Ino Audio i16s, Surrounds: 6 x Ino a2, 6 x Ino a1, Subs: 6 x Ino Infra-Y|
Picture | Epson TW9300, Seymour Center Stage UF 130.4" retractable 2.35:1 |
Electronics | Arcam AVR390(Dirac Live), 3x Ncore nc400 monoblocks, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2, EP4000, Panasonic UB700, Allo Katana + Isolator 1.2(Roon bridge/DAC), ATV 4K |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 3343 Old 06-06-2019, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I just received my UMIK-1 and instantly did a calibration with Dirac 2. This one was successful! I was previously using the standard Arcam mic (v1) but it constantly failed with Dirac 2. As one of my HDMI input is dead I will
RMA the AVR and also ask for a replacement mic.
post #3213 of 3343 Old 06-06-2019, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, recently added an AVR390 to my system. I have an Atlona HDMI distribution 1x2 amplifier attached to my system from the main zone output. I cannot get 4k to run through the arcam without the video clipping whatsoever. The only thing that works with the projector is turning off 4k, hdr, and deep color output. The only way to get any video is by simply forcing 1080p.

Sources:
AppleTV 4K
PS4
Cable-Box
Sony UBPX800

Any suggestions around this? I am using an Active HDMI cable for the projector. Projector is a sony 295
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3214 of 3343 Old 06-07-2019, 12:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasta666 View Post
I was not aware of this, thanks. I rarely do a full power cycle and rarely toggle with the Audio button so I will take care of that now. By the way the user shouldn’t have to do that. I hope they’ll fix this in a future firmware update.

I’m still in touch with Dirac because I am not able to make Dirac 2.0 work. I bought a new mic (UMIK-1) as a replacement for the Arcam mic v1 (which works fine with Dirac legacy but who knows where lies the problem). I will miss Dirac legacy GUI though...
This is correct.
I use to have a topline Marantz and must say the software was almost flawless including how Audyssey XT32 worked (but not the results achieved). The features were also a lot more comprehensive than on the Arcam.
However, and it's a massive however, the Arcam with Dirac just blows the Marantz out of the water when it boils down to the sound quality both for films and for stereo music. So although I do miss some features of the Marantz as well as it's much more predictable software I am never for going back. But you are right, the software should work as intended and we shouldn't have to apply workarounds.
Like you also I prefer the GUI of the old Dirac.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
post #3215 of 3343 Old 06-08-2019, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 28
The following video link from Dirac is useful if anyone is still unclear about the calibration approach. It's the new GUI btw

(Part 3 to 8)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
post #3216 of 3343 Old 06-14-2019, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hello
Is it worth uppgrading to dirac live 2 and the New firmware on the Arcam avr. Or should i wait i while..?

Whats better or worse frome the old dirac live and firmware..?
post #3217 of 3343 Old 06-14-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon1 View Post
Hello
Is it worth uppgrading to dirac live 2 and the New firmware on the Arcam avr. Or should i wait i while..?

I have both installed on my PC and so would say there is no harm in trying the version 2.2.2 as, for me at least, it didn't wipe off the old version.
Personally I much prefer the old user interface as setting the correct levels seems more intuitive and I also prefer the way the graphs are presented, but that is just my preference.
In terms of results I am not sure that there is much difference although the distances set seem to be much more logical and consistent with version 2.2.2
Sound wise it is very difficult to say either is better but I do get the feeling that the soundstage in stereo seems a bit wider with 2.2.2 but I wouldn't put money on that.

Last edited by alexbarbel; 06-14-2019 at 11:38 PM.
post #3218 of 3343 Old 06-14-2019, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbarbel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon1 View Post
Hello

i have both installed on my PC and so would say there is no harm in trying the version 2.2.2 as, for me at least, it didn't wipe off the old version.
Personally I much prefer the old user interface as setting the correct levels seems more intuitive and I also prefer the way the graphs are presented, but that is just my preference.
In terms of results I am not sure that there is much difference although the distances set seem to be much more logical and consistent with version 2.2.2
Sound wise it is very difficult to say either is better but I do get the feeling that the soundstage in stereo seems a bit wider with 2.2.2 but I wouldn't put money on that.
Ok
Thanks for answear..🙂👍
post #3219 of 3343 Old 06-15-2019, 05:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have both installed on my PC and so would say there is no harm in trying the version 2.2.2 as, for me at least, it didn't wipe off the old version.

Likewise. I did a 1-point calibration with Dirac 2 and I cannot say that I heard a difference. Dirac 1 interface was so nice (eg. the one that comes with Arcam AVR that said) that I don’t really want to spend too much time with the new interface right now. Aside from the user friendliness of the first GUI, it also explained into much details what was expected from the user in terms of setup.

On a side note, I finally ordered the 4-channel power amp from Arcam (P429) and I’m thinking about trading my 550 for a 850 so that says how much pleased I am with Arcam. These AVR are nearly 4 years old now so I might wait another year to see what the future is made of. But aside from 11-channel+ and HDMI 2.1 I don’t see many improvements that could be made. Arcam already support DTS:X and IMAX Enhanced (whatever that is), features that have not yet been made available by other brands. I’m also not convinced right now that my living room can accomodate more that 11 speakers ;-)
post #3220 of 3343 Old 06-15-2019, 05:38 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 290
A quick start guide for Dirac Live 2.x has been posted online so that it can be improved with additional details in the future:
https://live.dirac.com/content/uploa...nt-version.pdf

Flavio
SteveC356 likes this.

Warning: My posts might be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)
post #3221 of 3343 Old 06-15-2019, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flax View Post
A quick start guide for Dirac Live 2.x has been posted online so that it can be improved with additional details in the future:
https://live.dirac.com/content/uploa...nt-version.pdf

Flavio

Thanks.
post #3222 of 3343 Old 06-15-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Hi,

I have not updated my firmware on my Arcam for over a year. I did that last night to the latest.

I’m pushing in new speakers this afternoon and either tomorrow or next weekend I need to run Dirac again.

Thanks for whoever mentioned a couple pages back you can’t get the latest D2 on Arcams site. I went to Dirac site and tried to download it to my laptop. I keep getting a site not secure and you should leave immediately and it won’t let me download and no option to click and override to move forward. I’m sure I’m at the right place.

Can someone post the URL and has this happened to anyone else and how did you get it to download?

Thanks
Rick
post #3223 of 3343 Old 06-15-2019, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

post #3224 of 3343 Old 06-15-2019, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Arcam AVR-850 & Arcam AVR-550

Quote:

I got this on my email. Hope you can download it from here. It’s official I think. Otherwise Flavio can upload a direct link.
post #3225 of 3343 Old 06-15-2019, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
I got this on my email. Hope you can download it from here. It’s official I think. Otherwise Flavio can upload a direct link.
Thank you so much. Appreciated. I’ll give it a whirl this evening after I grab my speakers.

Have a great day.

Rick
post #3226 of 3343 Old 06-16-2019, 02:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hi,
I am trying to make sense of the level setting instructions in the Dirac Live quick start document.
It says to start with the Master Output Level low and increase it to get the chosen speaker's indicator line into the green or to a fairly high volume level and then increase the mic gain, if necessary , to get the indicator line into the green. OK . I understand that but then it says if you have a subwoofer you need to reduce the Master Output again, play the sub and increase the Master Output until the sub can be heard and then compare the level bar of the sub to that of the first speaker. It says they should be about the same and if not then the subs own level knob should be used to make them the same.
It then says for the remaining speakers you should again start with the Master Output Level low and ensure the recording level matches the sub and the first speaker and if not alter the speaker's individual gain until they do.

According to what I have read before , and seen on YouTube, this is not how I understood the levels should be set . I thought you chose the quietest speaker and starting with a low Master Output Level and low mic gain you would play the speaker and increase the the Master Output Level until the speakers level indicator reached half way into the green. If the green was not reached before the volume was getting too high then the mic gain needs to be increased so the green is reached. You would leave this speakers own level slider at the maximum, which is 0.0dB.
Then I would reduce all the other speakers own levels down from 0.0dB to a minus value for safety reasons as all the other speakers play louder than the first, which I had chosen because it was the quietest.
I would then play each speaker in turn and adjust back up their individual level sliders until the level indicator is halfway in the green just like the first speaker.

For the subs I would try playing them with the level indicator left at 0.0dB and if it wasn't dangerously loud I would use the subs own gain knob to get the level indicator to half way in to the green. If when I initially played the sub it was dangerously loud I would stop the play and reduce the subs own gain knob and try again and then do the final adjustment when the volume was at a safe level.

So , once I have set the Master Output Level I do not, at any stage , alter that again. Nor do I alter the mic gain once I have set it when getting the first speaker's level indicator to half way in the green. All the other speakers levels are adjusted using their individual sliders and the subs levels are adjusted using only the gain knobs on the subs themselves.

i am very confused by the instructions in the guide and wonder if anyone can put me right here. ? See the attached files.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02.PNG
Views:	28
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	2580662   Click image for larger version

Name:	01.PNG
Views:	34
Size:	319.5 KB
ID:	2580664  

Last edited by alexbarbel; 06-17-2019 at 01:43 AM.
post #3227 of 3343 Old 06-16-2019, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm running the AVR850 with a 5.1 setup. I just bought a pair of used Dali Rubicon 8's to replace the ikon 6 mk2's I now have.

Do you guys think that I should bi-amp these speakers or not? What are the pros and cons, if any?
Im using supra classic 2x4mm2 cables with nakamichi banana plugs if that matters any.
post #3228 of 3343 Old 06-17-2019, 01:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenaxer View Post
I'm running the AVR850 with a 5.1 setup. I just bought a pair of used Dali Rubicon 8's to replace the ikon 6 mk2's I now have.

Do you guys think that I should bi-amp these speakers or not? What are the pros and cons, if any?
Im using supra classic 2x4mm2 cables with nakamichi banana plugs if that matters any.
Some people like to bi-amp as they believe feeding the tweeter separate from the woofers sounds better. Some say that there is no difference. You would have to try it to see which camp you fall into.
One disadvantage is that you need another set of cables to run to each speaker you are bi-amping.

post #3229 of 3343 Old 06-19-2019, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Anyone notice that DTS-HD/DTS Neural X are much lower in sound comparing to Dolby tru/Dolby Surround? on these AVR. ? i was switching between them while playing some louds action scenes in movies, and the different is like night and day.
post #3230 of 3343 Old 06-20-2019, 01:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco1975 View Post
Anyone notice that DTS-HD/DTS Neural X are much lower in sound comparing to Dolby tru/Dolby Surround? on these AVR. ? i was switching between them while playing some louds action scenes in movies, and the different is like night and day.
Yes, I have noticed the same and generally just go with Dolby.

post #3231 of 3343 Old 06-20-2019, 01:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anyone got the problem where when the unit is shut down totally , as opposed to being put into standby, then on resumption the crossover for the height speakers has defaulted to 50Hz instead of retaining the value you had set ?
The crossover for the floor speakers, however, is retained at your set value.

post #3232 of 3343 Old 06-20-2019, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Has anyone got the problem where when the unit is shut down totally , as opposed to being put into standby, then on resumption the crossover for the height speakers has defaulted to 50Hz instead of retaining the value you had set ?
The crossover for the floor speakers, however, is retained at your set value.
I never had any shut down issue, however the crossover issue is there, it's a bug that been introduced in the latest firmware V.7.14, Arcam are already aware of the issue and I believe they are working on a fix that they include in their next firmware update.
post #3233 of 3343 Old 06-20-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I never had any shut down issue, however the crossover issue is there, it's a bug that been introduced in the latest firmware V.7.14, Arcam are already aware of the issue and I believe they are working on a fix that they include in their next firmware update.
thanks for that info marco.
Just to be clear I wasn't meaning that the unit shuts down itself but rather when you manually shut it down the crossover issue pops up.

post #3234 of 3343 Old 06-20-2019, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
thanks for that info marco.
Just to be clear I wasn't meaning that the unit shuts down itself but rather when you manually shut it down the crossover issue pops up.
got it! but yes that is exactly when it happen , each time you manually shut down the unit , the crossover for the height channels will reset to default which is 50HZ.
apart of that , something telling me that Arcam hasn't got DTS right with these AVR....the sound when playing DTS is just too low and feels weak.
post #3235 of 3343 Old 06-21-2019, 02:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
got it! but yes that is exactly when it happen , each time you manually shut down the unit , the crossover for the height channels will reset to default which is 50HZ.
apart of that , something telling me that Arcam hasn't got DTS right with these AVR....the sound when playing DTS is just too low and feels weak.
I agree with that . When I used a Marantz 7010 I would try to use DTS Neural X in the absence of Atmos or DTS:X as it seemed to be stronger for the height speakers but with the Arcam I favour Dolby Surround as DTS does indeed sound a bit insipid,
I wonder if it is just a volume thing though and possibly increasing the volume for DTS may bring it into line with what I got from the Marantz.

post #3236 of 3343 Old 06-21-2019, 02:52 AM
Advanced Member

Arcam AVR-850 & Arcam AVR-550

The fact that volume is lower with DTS is not really relevant. Aren’t those formats natively processed by the chipset? I don’t think Arcam has any « room » to modify how it is processed, aside from the output volume. Considering that the only mode that allows Atmos and DTS:X is Dolby Surround mode, I usually don’t change the Mode setting and use Dolby Surround for everything. Prior to DTS:X, I actually used to prefer DTS Neural but it became irrelevant with the addition of DTS:X.

Last edited by hasta666; 06-21-2019 at 02:55 AM.
post #3237 of 3343 Old 06-21-2019, 03:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
[/B]I agree with that . When I used a Marantz 7010 I would try to use DTS Neural X in the absence of Atmos or DTS:X as it seemed to be stronger for the height speakers but with the Arcam I favour Dolby Surround as DTS does indeed sound a bit insipid,
I wonder if it is just a volume thing though and possibly increasing the volume for DTS may bring it into line with what I got from the Marantz.
Same here I had a Marantz 7011 sold it prior to buying the Arcam 390.
i have tried increasing the volume a few notch to compensate, and yes the overall sound gets louder but still lacking subtle details are still hard to hear, switching to Dolby bring everything back to live, everytime i tried Dolby came out winner.
i wonder this issue hasn't been mentioned before neither here nor at the uk avforum.
alexbarbel likes this.
post #3238 of 3343 Old 06-21-2019, 04:27 AM

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 161
And this is why we have the loudness war..when even enthusiasts think that louder equals better There are a lot of variables here so I wouldn't jump too quickly to conclusions. What DTS/Dolby mixes are being compared here?

Room| Treated | Sound| Front: Ino Audio i32s, Center: Ino Audio i16s, Surrounds: 6 x Ino a2, 6 x Ino a1, Subs: 6 x Ino Infra-Y|
Picture | Epson TW9300, Seymour Center Stage UF 130.4" retractable 2.35:1 |
Electronics | Arcam AVR390(Dirac Live), 3x Ncore nc400 monoblocks, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2, EP4000, Panasonic UB700, Allo Katana + Isolator 1.2(Roon bridge/DAC), ATV 4K |
post #3239 of 3343 Old 06-21-2019, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipbtz View Post
And this is why we have the loudness war..when even enthusiasts think that louder equals better There are a lot of variables here so I wouldn't jump too quickly to conclusions. What DTS/Dolby mixes are being compared here?
I think rather than just the loudness we are trying to work out if the Arcam processes the two formats differently. So no, we are not jumping to any conclusions but merely pondering the possibilities.
marco1975 likes this.

post #3240 of 3343 Old 06-21-2019, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
What you are hearing goes back to the roots of Dolby and DTS, I believe. Front and center speakers have always been behind the screen in a movie theater. Therefore when Dolby sound engineers first started working for Hollywood, they adjusted sound levels accordingly, bumping up the sound of the front speakers so that by the time the sound transpired through the screen to the audience, the levels were back to those intended when recorded on set or in the sound studio. Later, when Dolby Surround and Dolby Pro Logic entered the home, the sound levels were not always reduced. They stayed at the same level, even though most people don't have speakers behind their screens as you find in movie theaters. That's why Dolby seems louder. Along came DTS on the scene later, and their engineers adjusted the levels back down accordingly, to account for home theaters not having screens in front of their speakers. That's why DTS seems more quiet. It's all about whether the speakers are behind the screen or not. All that being said, I believe Hollywood and Dolby sound engineers know that know most people don't have speakers behind their screens, so therefore bumping up the sound isn't necessary and their levels are more balanced now, for home, but still I think you're right, Dolby "sounds" louder than DTS. Don't be fooled though, louder does not mean better of course, just like brighter TVs on the showroom floor aren't always the best TVs. Same concept.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam , avr 550 , AVR-850 , b&w 600 series , bi-amo , bi-wiring

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page