Arcam AVR-850 & Arcam AVR-550 - Page 110 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3228Likes

post #3271 of 3287 Old 08-09-2019, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Just got an SR250 last night, only issue I'm having is hooking a Apple TV 4K and not getting any 4K resolution, could it be that I need to update the Arcam?

65" Sony A9F
Arcam SR250
Bowers & Wilkins 702s
REL T7i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3272 of 3287 Old 08-09-2019, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSFA View Post
Just got an SR250 last night, only issue I'm having is hooking a Apple TV 4K and not getting any 4K resolution, could it be that I need to update the Arcam?
Make sure you don NOT use the the STB input. That one doesn't support 4K with the ATV.
ScottSFA likes this.
post #3273 of 3287 Old 08-14-2019, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I got my 850 about a week ago. I made a first rough calibration with Dirac, which worked. Now I got a microphone holder, but keep on running into an error on position 6: TIMEDISTCORRECTION_MAXCORR_PEAK_INDISTINCT. I have tried to slightly repositioning the mike, but no luck. Another thing is the Dirac SW seems to crash frequently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3274 of 3287 Old 08-14-2019, 03:11 AM

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuri58 View Post
I got my 850 about a week ago. I made a first rough calibration with Dirac, which worked. Now I got a microphone holder, but keep on running into an error on position 6: TIMEDISTCORRECTION_MAXCORR_PEAK_INDISTINCT. I have tried to slightly repositioning the mike, but no luck. Another thing is the Dirac SW seems to crash frequently.
Are you on the 7.14 firmware on the Arcam?
Are you on Dirac v. 2.2.3?
If you are using the microphone that was supplied in the box get a better one like the miniDSP UMIK-1

Room| Treated | Sound| Front: Ino Audio i32s, Center: Ino Audio i16s, Surrounds: 6 x Ino a2, 6 x Ino a1, Subs: 6 x Ino Infra-Y|
Picture | Epson TW9300, Seymour Center Stage UF 130.4" retractable 2.35:1 |
Electronics | Arcam AVR390(Dirac Live), 3x Ncore nc400 monoblocks, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2, EP4000, Panasonic UB700, Allo Katana + Isolator 1.2(Roon bridge/DAC), ATV 4K |
post #3275 of 3287 Old 08-14-2019, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipbtz View Post
Are you on the 7.14 firmware on the Arcam?
Are you on Dirac v. 2.2.3?
If you are using the microphone that was supplied in the box get a better one like the miniDSP UMIK-1

Looks like this
Firmware 7.14
Dirac says installation file says v1.2.3b (which is the one found on Arcam's site)
Supplied mike.

Meanwhile I managed to get position 6 to work. Now comes the target curves and what to use. I can see you can chose target curves for individual (pair) of LS. But what would be the curve for the sub?
post #3276 of 3287 Old 08-14-2019, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Looks like this
Firmware 7.14
Dirac says installation file says v1.2.3b (which is the one found on Arcam's site)
Supplied mike.

Meanwhile I managed to get position 6 to work. Now comes the target curves and what to use. I can see you can chose target curves for individual (pair) of LS. But what would be the curve for the sub?
I don't know why they don't link to the latest version on their website but they don't for some reason.
Go here and get the latest version which is superior imo.

https://live.dirac.com/download/

As for target curves what I do is to only use Dirac for everything below 300Hz or so. Even though I have a treated room I find that only using Dirac under the schröder frequency sounds the best(below this frequency the room and subs are basically the same thing whereas above this frequency the reflections in the room and the direct sound of the speakers are hard to separate for the software which can make it a lot more hit and miss). Try just using the standard target curve first, you can then go back and adjust.

But first install version 2.2.3 and if you are using windows make sure to let Dirac through the firewall.

Room| Treated | Sound| Front: Ino Audio i32s, Center: Ino Audio i16s, Surrounds: 6 x Ino a2, 6 x Ino a1, Subs: 6 x Ino Infra-Y|
Electronics | Arcam AVR390(Dirac Live), 3x Ncore nc400 monoblocks, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2, EP4000, Panasonic UB700, Allo Katana + Isolator 1.2(Roon bridge/DAC), ATV 4K |

Last edited by philipbtz; 08-14-2019 at 05:15 AM.
post #3277 of 3287 Old 08-14-2019, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipbtz View Post
I don't know why they don't link to the latest version on their website but they don't for some reason.
Go here and get the latest version which is superior imo.

https://live.dirac.com/download/

As for target curves what I do is to only use Dirac for everything below 300Hz or so. Even though I have a treated room I find that only using Dirac under the schröder frequency sounds the best(below this frequency the room and subs are basically the same thing whereas above this frequency the reflections in the room and the direct sound of the speakers are hard to separate for the software which can make it a lot more hit and miss). Try just using the standard target curve first, you can then go back and adjust.

But first install version 2.2.3 and if you are using windows make sure to let Dirac through the firewall.
Thanks philipbtz and installed. Well Arcam may not be the fastest to update their site, but quite a jump in version and layout I shall try to play with it and see what I can and cannot get out of it.

EDIT
One question - the 1.2.3 version has an optimize button once you apply the filter. This, which is I guess the essential part, seems missing so what's the trick here?
philipbtz likes this.

Last edited by nuri58; 08-14-2019 at 07:37 AM.
post #3278 of 3287 Old 08-14-2019, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Thanks philipbtz and installed. Well Arcam may not be the fastest to update their site, but quite a jump in version and layout I shall try to play with it and see what I can and cannot get out of it.

EDIT
One question - the 1.2.3 version has an optimize button once you apply the filter. This, which is I guess the essential part, seems missing so what's the trick here?
The new version optimizes every time you make changes to the target curve. You might see a bar a the top of the screen, indicating that optimization is ongoing.

You wouldn't be able to export something that was not optimized in the new version.
post #3279 of 3287 Old 08-14-2019, 03:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejoo View Post
Make sure you don NOT use the the STB input. That one doesn't support 4K with the ATV.

Working now, I did the update as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

65" Sony A9F
Arcam SR250
Bowers & Wilkins 702s
REL T7i
post #3280 of 3287 Old 08-15-2019, 09:46 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Wait, I thought all HDMI inputs supported 4K. How do you tell which inputs do and which inputs do not?
post #3281 of 3287 Old 08-15-2019, 10:33 AM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by surroundsound99 View Post
Wait, I thought all HDMI inputs supported 4K. How do you tell which inputs do and which inputs do not?
Well, I discovered this issue too with the ATV4. After each shutdown it reset the output to something like 1080p HDR. Selecting 4K manual works, but since the ATV can't be forced to stay at 4K like a 4K disc player it reverted to the lower resolution.

I think it's actually the edid info that the Arcam is messing up or something. So 4K is supported, but only if you force the source at 4K output when using the STB input. The other inputs are fine. Its a stupid bug and very annoying because it took me a while to figure it out.

HDMI implementation isn't Arcam's strongest point in their AVR's..
post #3282 of 3287 Old 08-15-2019, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Arcam AVR-850 & Arcam AVR-550

The STB input is MHL compatible and this leads to some restriction. But this is not a bug. Arcam’s HDMI implementation is fine. This restriction might not be stated clearly enough on the product page though.
SteveC356 likes this.
post #3283 of 3287 Old 08-15-2019, 11:06 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Well, I discovered this issue too with the ATV4. After each shutdown it reset the output to something like 1080p HDR. Selecting 4K manual works, but since the ATV can't be forced to stay at 4K like a 4K disc player it reverted to the lower resolution.

I think it's actually the edid info that the Arcam is messing up or something. So 4K is supported, but only if you force the source at 4K output when using the STB input. The other inputs are fine. Its a stupid bug and very annoying because it took me a while to figure it out.

HDMI implementation isn't Arcam's strongest point in their AVR's..
I see. I have a projector so I will have to test it out. Thanks for the info.
post #3284 of 3287 Old 08-15-2019, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3072 Post(s)
Liked: 2033
Hi all
I thinking of trying Arcam to get an idea of how Dirac preforms in my room. Ive read good reviews about Dirac and want to compare it too my Anthem (ARC Genesis). I will be running the Arcam as a processor as I will use my Rotel Amps. Before I go ahead just want to know is their any flaws with the Arcam eg issues with passing 4K, issues with Dirac where it can crash ?

Cheers

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #3285 of 3287 Old 08-16-2019, 12:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post
Hi all

I thinking of trying Arcam to get an idea of how Dirac preforms in my room. Ive read good reviews about Dirac and want to compare it too my Anthem (ARC Genesis). I will be running the Arcam as a processor as I will use my Rotel Amps. Before I go ahead just want to know is their any flaws with the Arcam eg issues with passing 4K, issues with Dirac where it can crash ?

Cheers

There is/was some issues/limitations with bass management/crossover frequency. This was discussed and detailed on this thread. Arcam has provided some firmware upgrades to fix this but some limitation subsist as far as I know. Not sure if it’s a big deal for the average Joe. The NAD AVR was viewed by some people to be a better alternative to Arcam regarding Dirac implementation. Maybe you should do some research before jumping in to avoid any surprise in the case that these particular limitations matter to you. Knowing this, I would still buy an Arcam today but that’s just me.

Aside from that, my 550 has been pretty flawless. It’s in RMA right now because one of the HDMI input died but I’ve never read anyone reporting this particular problem so just bad luck on my side.
post #3286 of 3287 Old 08-16-2019, 01:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 3072 Post(s)
Liked: 2033
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasta666 View Post
There is/was some issues/limitations with bass management/crossover frequency. This was discussed and detailed on this thread. Arcam has provided some firmware upgrades to fix this but some limitation subsist as far as I know. Not sure if it’s a big deal for the average Joe. The NAD AVR was viewed by some people to be a better alternative to Arcam regarding Dirac implementation. Maybe you should do some research before jumping in to avoid any surprise in the case that these particular limitations matter to you. Knowing this, I would still buy an Arcam today but that’s just me.

Aside from that, my 550 has been pretty flawless. It’s in RMA right now because one of the HDMI input died but I’ve never read anyone reporting this particular problem so just bad luck on my side.

Thank you, your right I think i best to do some research.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

God Bless,
Frank (直率的)(فرانك)(franc)(lantad)
post #3287 of 3287 Old 08-16-2019, 04:40 AM

The only issue I'm havning right now is that the Atmos channel crossover setting gets reset every time I turn off the AVR. This is a known issue though and will be patched in the next firmware update(Arcam is slow with their updates though and I feel like they are losing A LOT of potential just due to having a bad dev setup). I run 4k and Atmos and I have no issues with playing stuff. DTS:X, Atmos is all good. The only real alternative, like that has been mentioned, is the NAD but there has been a bunch of hardware issues with those units and still quite a few bugs from what I'm reading. Doesn't seem like they fixed DTS:X support yet either. But their real strength is that they run "proper" crossover slopes for the BM and you can select different crossovers for all speakers.

In terms of bass management for the Arcam the limit is that all the speakers in the base layer needs to use the same crossover frequency and all the speakers in the Atmos layer needs to use another one. If you need to have different crossovers for your speakers that can become an issue. Other than that these Arcam units are really solid quality. AVRs are complicated things and all avrs will have their own issues so pick your poison.
Franin, alexbarbel and SteveC356 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Arcam , avr 550 , AVR-850 , b&w 600 series , bi-amo , bi-wiring

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page