Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 2
RX-A750 vs TX-NR737

Hi,

I currently have a Yamaha RX-750. I had purchased it with

2x DefTech 8020STs
2x DefTech 8080BPs
1x DefTech ProCenter 1000

Because I can't help myself, I just swapped out my 8020s for 8040s, and my PC1000 for a ProCenter 2000. 8080s haven't arrived yet. For now, I'm planning on a 5.0 setup (foregoing a sub for the moment, I think the 8040s may be enough for my size room [162"x141"x89"]). My primary reason for the upgrade was future-proofing as I have a fairly small living room at the moment. I was considering buying an Atmos capable receiver for the same reason, but for Yamaha, the next level up was $800. I had only paid $569 for my A750. I was just going to let it go until I searched around a bit and found Onkyo-TX-NR737.

I had initially narrowed my receiver down to a Denon and the Yamaha, but I liked the sound of the Yamaha more in the show room. I don't know anything about Onkyo, nor did I get to listen to one and that's where my question lies. Are they a good receivers, and do they have similar sound properties to the Yamaha? I thought the Denon sounded a little warm. Crutchfield still has the AX-750 for $650, so I'm a little concerned that the Onkyo is still cheaper considering it is Atmos, and has a higher wattage rating per channel. I'll pose the question two ways:

1. Take Atmos out of the equation. Is the Onkyo a better receiver? If no, is it a better receiver for the money?

2. If no to #1 , does the fact that it allows for Atmos change your answer? Also, unless I'm misreading does this particular receiver only allow for Atmos in a 5.2.2 setup?

If there are any significant differences I'm missing, please let me know.

Thank you!

Last edited by Brono87; 11-22-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-22-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 167
A750 is current model while 737 is last years model, if you can spring for 747, it is superior in every way to a750

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 Old 11-23-2015, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 2
For my current setup I want to just verify that my RX-750 is sufficient enough to power what I have. Also, in the interest of future proofing, I have done some reading on running separates. Is this a romanticized idea for such a low-end setup? Am I better off just running with the receiver I currently have (or upgrading if power insufficient) or is it worth buying amps that will likely last long past my current set up in hopes of one day building a monster theater? In the interest of ease, my setup below:

Yamaha RX-A750
2x DefTech 8040STs
2x DefTech 8080BPs
1x DefTech ProCenter 2000

Side note - Is Atmos worth it if only using an up-firing application? I'm highly unlikely to run in-ceiling speakers with my current setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-23-2015, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2795 Post(s)
Liked: 2671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brono87 View Post
For my current setup I want to just verify that my RX-750 is sufficient enough to power what I have. Also, in the interest of future proofing, I have done some reading on running separates. Is this a romanticized idea for such a low-end setup? Am I better off just running with the receiver I currently have (or upgrading if power insufficient) or is it worth buying amps that will likely last long past my current set up in hopes of one day building a monster theater? In the interest of ease, my setup below:

Yamaha RX-A750
2x DefTech 8040STs
2x DefTech 8080BPs
1x DefTech ProCenter 2000

Side note - Is Atmos worth it if only using an up-firing application? I'm highly unlikely to run in-ceiling speakers with my current setup.
Your AVR should have plenty of power since the DT have their own powered woofers.

As for the up firing modules there is a thread on them. Mixed results at best.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page