Originally Posted by nohcho
Let us know which one you like better, im interested to hear this
Here is an update to my SC-95 vs X4200W
I had chosen the SC-95 over the x4200W for the following reasons. These reasons might or not matter to you.
Pros for the SC-95
1. The SC-95 looks and feels more Premium vs the X4200W
2. 9.2 vs 7.2, i will be able to do 5.2.4 without external amp.
3. 0 network issues with SC-95 so far with current FW, the X4200W Network seem unstable when I was setting it up, and seem iffy after a FW update.
4. Class D AMP
Neg for the SC-95
1. MCACC Pro not good as Audyssey XT32? This was a hard one since I had 2 Audyssey based systems before this but I cant really tell if I was missing or gaining anything.
2. GUI is a bit dated, but the IControlAV5 app cancels this issue out.
3. Less HDCP 2.2 ports, 3 vs 8 on the Denon. I can only only forsee a 4k Bluray, 4K cable box, and maybe a 3rd system needing 2.2 maybe.
4. No DTS:X update yet, but low priority on my list.
I'm coming from an aging and dying Onkyo TX-SR705 to the X4200W and then to the SC-95. From the SR705 to the X4200W was a big jump, but from the X4200W to SC-95 was minimum and a very parallel switch. I have a pair of Polk RTi4 bookshelves, matching center, PW505 sub, energy take 5 classic surrounds with 1 pair of pioneer Atmos Enable add on speakers, so my setup might not fully detail the audio differences between the 2 newer AVRs. I will be planning another pair of Atmos Speakers or go ceiling mounted in the future, so having the extra 2 ch is a big plus. It will also let me minimized the hardware I need for that.
And one last factor which is not based on the AVRs themselves but the retailers. The Denon is from Fry's and the SC-95 is from Best Buy. I prefer Best Buy because I have their Rewards Program, 30-45 days of no hassle returns, Reward points earned, and they let me used a 10% coupon to make the SC-95 the same price I paid for the X4200W. Fry's also has a 30 day return, but I will not get any extra on top of that. In the end Best Buy added to the deciding factor, but I believe I would had chosen the same regardless of the retailer and being priced the about the same.
Hope that helps.