Pioneer SC95 vs. Denon x4200w vs. Yamaha 2050 - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 99 Old 04-15-2016, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
brianmlamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 789
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Just called my Magnolia, the Yamaha's are not on sale unfortunately, but the SC95-99 are.

My setup: Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 and center, Ascend HTM200SE surround, NHT atmos minis, dual Rythmik L12's, Pioneer SC-95, Minidsp DDRC-88BM, Rotel RMB1077, LG OLED B7P
brianmlamb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 99 Old 04-15-2016, 01:09 PM
Member
 
Toleedo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am looking to upgrade to a new receiver and am wondering if anyone on this thread has some advice. I am looking between the Denon 6200w, the yamaha 3050 or possibly 2050, anthem 720, and pioneer sc-95 to 99 (though I don't see a ton of difference other than power between the 95 and 99).

I am driving klipsch speakers up front, jbl towers for my rears, and using kef bookshelves for heights and surrounds. Looking for 9 output channels and pre-outs, but will consider 7 output channels with pre-outs as well (Anthem 720).

Does anyone have any advice? Is there a big difference in room correction between these brands, Audyssey, MCACC, YPAO, and ARC? I've read that ARC is the best.


Does anyone know if the sale will still be going tomorrow on those Pioneer's? That price may be the deciding factor for me. Has anyone compared the 95 to the 97 or 99?

Thanks
Toleedo is offline  
post #93 of 99 Old 04-15-2016, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,318
Mentioned: 749 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22755 Post(s)
Liked: 12404
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSH2oo0 View Post
Hey Goofy we should've just traded I ended up returning my SC-95 for the X4200W.

My Pro's for the SC-95 pretty much mirror your thoughts and I also think listening to music(Hip Hop) was better as well. My con's are every time you turn on the TV/receiver with Arc the SC-95 would default to TV setting and then I would have to switch it back to CBL/Sat. I called Pioneer about this on Friday and sat on hold for 2hrs and 15mins they told me all there receivers do that. I do feel the X4200W sounds a little better for watching TV. I haven't watched any Blu-Ray movies with either receiver to comment on that.

My con with the X4200W is I had to turn the volume up on the back of my sub to 1 o'clock where as the SC-95 was set at 9 o'clock.
Where the sub gain gets set is a moot point as long as it meets your volume requirements.
jdsmoothie is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #94 of 99 Old 04-28-2016, 01:17 PM
Member
 
Breddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toleedo View Post
I am looking to upgrade to a new receiver and am wondering if anyone on this thread has some advice. I am looking between the Denon 6200w, the yamaha 3050 or possibly 2050, anthem 720, and pioneer sc-95 to 99 (though I don't see a ton of difference other than power between the 95 and 99).

I am driving klipsch speakers up front, jbl towers for my rears, and using kef bookshelves for heights and surrounds. Looking for 9 output channels and pre-outs, but will consider 7 output channels with pre-outs as well (Anthem 720).

Does anyone have any advice? Is there a big difference in room correction between these brands, Audyssey, MCACC, YPAO, and ARC? I've read that ARC is the best.


Does anyone know if the sale will still be going tomorrow on those Pioneer's? That price may be the deciding factor for me. Has anyone compared the 95 to the 97 or 99?

Thanks
Not much to offer you but I'm chiming in here because I'm going to jettison my Anthem MRX-510 for one of these three units. The Anthem sounds a-ma-zing and ARC is quite good. Mostly solved my sub placement issue even with 1 big sub in my weird room. Read the Anthem threads for advice on getting the most out of ARC - it is quite a thing.

What's annoying me beyond belief is the limitations of Zone 2. Basically impossible to single-wire a source and have it work in Z2. No HDMI audio to my Z2 TV. No DSD. Oddball scaling choices for component input (Wii). Some of this I knew about when I purchased but some I didn't. Overall it's leading to a negative experience despite the superb audio fidelity.

Now I do have a question for the participants in this thread: given the following requirements, are any of these units deal-breakers (also asked over here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...post43557882)?

1. With any source playing on Z1, simply turn on Z2 and hear 2.0 version of it. All sources are HDMI.
2. With any source playing on Z1, change to stereo mode and then hear 2.0 version on Z2.
3. Simply have an "all channel stereo" mode that sends 2.0 everywhere.
4. Have a digital output that sends whatever's coming in out to a second receiver that I can set to perpetual 2.0 down-mixing.

Any comments on the update frequency and overall quality of the apps?

I was, till today, set on the Denon X4200W but research set in and now I'm looking at all of these. Leaning toward the Yam but the Class D amps in the Pioneer are tempting. I'm running B&W DM602 mains.
Breddy is offline  
post #95 of 99 Old 04-28-2016, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,260
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breddy View Post
Not much to offer you but I'm chiming in here because I'm going to jettison my Anthem MRX-510 for one of these three units. The Anthem sounds a-ma-zing and ARC is quite good. Mostly solved my sub placement issue even with 1 big sub in my weird room. Read the Anthem threads for advice on getting the most out of ARC - it is quite a thing.

What's annoying me beyond belief is the limitations of Zone 2. Basically impossible to single-wire a source and have it work in Z2. No HDMI audio to my Z2 TV. No DSD. Oddball scaling choices for component input (Wii). Some of this I knew about when I purchased but some I didn't. Overall it's leading to a negative experience despite the superb audio fidelity.

Now I do have a question for the participants in this thread: given the following requirements, are any of these units deal-breakers (also asked over here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...post43557882)?

1. With any source playing on Z1, simply turn on Z2 and hear 2.0 version of it. All sources are HDMI.
2. With any source playing on Z1, change to stereo mode and then hear 2.0 version on Z2.
3. Simply have an "all channel stereo" mode that sends 2.0 everywhere.
4. Have a digital output that sends whatever's coming in out to a second receiver that I can set to perpetual 2.0 down-mixing.

Any comments on the update frequency and overall quality of the apps?

I was, till today, set on the Denon X4200W but research set in and now I'm looking at all of these. Leaning toward the Yam but the Class D amps in the Pioneer are tempting. I'm running B&W DM602 mains.
I was somewhat in the same situation, between sc95, x4200 and rz900. Decided to go with 4200 because I like features and the intuitive interface that Denon offers, and the fact that dts x is already out, tells me that denon is more involved with their products, also the fact that JD smoothie is an invaluable resource when it comes to all things Denon&Marantz.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Madmax67 likes this.
nohcho is offline  
post #96 of 99 Old 05-09-2016, 03:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So, like many of you, I was deciding on the pup, Yamaha, and denon. I went with the Pioneer Elite SC95. Mainly for its true capabilities to run a 4ohm load and it's class D3 amp. Runs cooler and uses way less power consumption. Just like getting a new phone, you have to get used to the brand. But once your used to it it performs well. Plus it has 9 channels of amplification. The DTS:X update is coming, and I'm in no rush as there's hardly any content for it. Only having 3 2.2 HDMI inputs is no big deal either to me. A UHD smart player would handle streaming and UHD discs, and maybe a roku. Other than that I have nothing else that takes the 2.2 input. So 3 is plenty for me and the near future. I honestly love the sound coming from this Reciever and it just looks so much more elegant and pretty sitting next to the Yamaha or denon. So far I haven't regretted my decision.
TRINADS is offline  
post #97 of 99 Old 05-09-2016, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,260
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRINADS View Post
So, like many of you, I was deciding on the pup, Yamaha, and denon. I went with the Pioneer Elite SC95. Mainly for its true capabilities to run a 4ohm load and it's class D3 amp. Runs cooler and uses way less power consumption. Just like getting a new phone, you have to get used to the brand. But once your used to it it performs well. Plus it has 9 channels of amplification. The DTS:X update is coming, and I'm in no rush as there's hardly any content for it. Only having 3 2.2 HDMI inputs is no big deal either to me. A UHD smart player would handle streaming and UHD discs, and maybe a roku. Other than that I have nothing else that takes the 2.2 input. So 3 is plenty for me and the near future. I honestly love the sound coming from this Reciever and it just looks so much more elegant and pretty sitting next to the Yamaha or denon. So far I haven't regretted my decision.
Glad to know you like it. Im in the same boat debating between those three

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
nohcho is offline  
post #98 of 99 Old 05-09-2016, 05:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I liked the denon also, but only having 7 channels driven means u need an external amp just to do 5.1.4. The pioneer does 5.1.4 out of the box, and with external amp you can do 7.2.4. Might not be a big deal to some but it was for me.
TRINADS is offline  
post #99 of 99 Old 05-09-2016, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,260
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I have the x4200 and one thing that drives me crazy is hoe hot it runs compared to yamahas and my vsx90. It peaked my interest as to why that is. My set up is only 3.1 which consists of two polk rti8 and one csi 3. Receiver is never driven hard at all.

So i took the top off and discovered that the hottest part inside x4200 is the power transformer which is expected however, the problem is how denon designed the internal lay out which is problematic. The transformer sits directly below the hdmi board which is heated by the convexing hot air from the transformer, in fact all the components around the transformer are hot as hell. For comparison ive looked at aventage series and it seems yamaha keeps the transformer somewhat away from other components so does pioneer elite series therefore yamaha aventage runs much much cooler than denon x series. Having such a hot transformer directly beneath the hdmi board may cause problems down the road for denon.

Here some pics









Btw paint job inside the cover



Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
vavan likes this.
nohcho is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off