Pioneer VSX-45 vs Yamaha RX-V799 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Adgob

post #1 of 6 Old 11-28-2015, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Pioneer VSX-45 vs Yamaha RX-V799

Hi everyone,

I have a 4K TV, an nVidia shield, and an HTPC and want to upgrade my AVR to something capable of passing through 4K signals (HDCP 2.2 & HDMI 2.0) to my TV and to my 5.1 system. Unfortunately HDMI to my TV and S/PDIF back to the receiver doesn't work very well (audio pass through issues plus I want the receiver to do the input switching).

So, I was hoping to hop on some Black Friday deals. I picked up the Pioneer VSX-45 for $250 at best buy but also saw the Yamaha RX-V799 at Costco for $430. I'm torn between the two. For me what it really comes down to is sound quality, quality of build, and power. I don't really need the 7.2 from the Yamaha (I have a 5.1 set-up I'm content with keeping for now) or the Zone 2 but it could be nice in the future, maybe. What I really want to know is: Is the V799's sound quality worth the extra $180? They both seem like very good deals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-30-2015, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Bump - any opinions?
post #3 of 6 Old 12-01-2015, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adgob View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a 4K TV, an nVidia shield, and an HTPC and want to upgrade my AVR to something capable of passing through 4K signals (HDCP 2.2 & HDMI 2.0) to my TV and to my 5.1 system. Unfortunately HDMI to my TV and S/PDIF back to the receiver doesn't work very well (audio pass through issues plus I want the receiver to do the input switching).

So, I was hoping to hop on some Black Friday deals. I picked up the Pioneer VSX-45 for $250 at best buy but also saw the Yamaha RX-V799 at Costco for $430. I'm torn between the two. For me what it really comes down to is sound quality, quality of build, and power. I don't really need the 7.2 from the Yamaha (I have a 5.1 set-up I'm content with keeping for now) or the Zone 2 but it could be nice in the future, maybe. What I really want to know is: Is the V799's sound quality worth the extra $180? They both seem like very good deals.
I mostly use my receiver for music listening in stereo mode. I'm not an audiophile by any means.

I tried RX-A550 Advantage (MSRP $499) which is comparable to VSX-45 Elite as they both are entry level premium offerings from their manufactures. To my ears VSX-45 sounded much better. With Yamaha, sound was trapped and muffled.

Having that said, looks like another variable are your speakers. I think some speakers may pair better with some particular receivers. In my case I had Pioneer SP-FS52s. Maybe both speakers and receivers being from same brand made a difference. Not sure.

Why don't you buy both and test them yourself? Extended return period in holidays is good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-01-2015, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I mostly use my receiver for music listening in stereo mode. I'm not an audiophile by any means.

I tried RX-A550 Advantage (MSRP $499) which is comparable to VSX-45 Elite as they both are entry level premium offerings from their manufactures. To my ears VSX-45 sounded much better. With Yamaha, sound was trapped and muffled.

Having that said, looks like another variable are your speakers. I think some speakers may pair better with some particular receivers. In my case I had Pioneer SP-FS52s. Maybe both speakers and receivers being from same brand made a difference. Not sure.

Why don't you buy both and test them yourself? Extended return period in holidays is good!
post #5 of 6 Old 12-30-2015, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what did you end up getting?
Spec wise there is a lot of difference between the two units, so I went with RX-V779 (You might want to fix your first post to correct the model #) but I didn't open the box yet. Right now I am shopping for speakers.

KDL52W4100
Yamaha RX-A550, Pioneer FS52 + SP-C22 + 17 Year old Sony Rear Satellites and Sub.
Roku, Fire TV, Viewsat Receiver, Time Warner NYC DVR, Harmony 700
post #6 of 6 Old 01-06-2016, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyedipin View Post
I was wondering what did you end up getting?
Spec wise there is a lot of difference between the two units, so I went with RX-V779 (You might want to fix your first post to correct the model #) but I didn't open the box yet. Right now I am shopping for speakers.
I went with the RX-V779 (too late to edit the title). It just had so many more features that I've ended up loving. For example, I didn't think I'd use the Pandora feature but with family over for Xmas it was a perfect way to stream holiday music! I'm very happy I got it.
hyedipin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page