Emotiva Updates XPA Amplifiers to Generation 3 - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 921Likes

post #301 of 961 Old 01-01-2016, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2839 Post(s)
Liked: 1813
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy2112 View Post
The Def Techs might sound similar to Goldenear - they are sister companies. So far, my cat hasn't destroyed the sock on my Triton Twos.

You're right that the Goldenears are a bit laid back. They can rock, but not as much as rock speakers such as Klipsch.
You have a good cat! Unfortunately, one of mine likes to stick his claws into anything fabricky - I fear for fabric speaker grilles in my house. What about cat hair? Does yours rub up against them at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 961 Old 01-01-2016, 10:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3308 Post(s)
Liked: 3413
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
Hold up. You're saying that if speakers measure the same in a room, they can still sound different? I would have thought that the amp police would be all over you for that theory.
(a) Depends on the measurement, speakers or amps. Frequency response is only one of a myriad of measurements that can be made.
(b) Your statement was about speakers, not amplifiers, so it would be "speaker police".

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #303 of 961 Old 01-01-2016, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
(a) Depends on the measurement, speakers or amps. Frequency response is only one of a myriad of measurements that can be made.
(b) Your statement was about speakers, not amplifiers, so it would be "speaker police".
Well amp police tend to wear more than one hat, sometimes two or three at once!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 961 Old 01-02-2016, 12:29 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
As soon as you employ room EQ you neutralize differences in speaker brands. You realize this, right?
You cannot equalize non-linear distortion or driver interactions (such as comb filtering and dispersion mismatching) to name a few. These are things that are inherent to driver selection/design and cabinet construction and cannot be overcome with any amount of equalization. Therefore equalization does not neutralize differences in speakers as you state.
kbarnes701 likes this.
post #305 of 961 Old 01-02-2016, 12:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevordj View Post
You cannot equalize non-linear distortion or driver interactions (such as comb filtering and dispersion mismatching) to name a few. These are things that are inherent to driver selection/design and cabinet construction and cannot be overcome with any amount of equalization. Therefore equalization does not neutralize differences in speakers as you state.
You're going to have to go back a a bunch of posts and get yourself caught up.
post #306 of 961 Old 01-02-2016, 04:38 AM

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 7743 Post(s)
Liked: 7046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
I don't even know what Pro speakers are. Assume "professional"? What would be some examples?
The pro designs from Tannoy, JBL. Genelecs. Mackies. Speakers they use in professional studios etc. Often they are better speakers and cost less than comparable 'audiophile' designs. Also, some of the internet direct sellers offer great value - eg SVS who do good speakers as well as good subs at really good prices. And you can audition them at home for 30-45 days and if you don't like them you can return them for no cost.

Quote:
I don't know in-room auditions would be possible, save for those internet companies that do offer them with their satisfaction guarantees. I'm guessing it'd be tough to convince my local dealer to bring their speakers to my place for a listen - but maybe not?
That's the problem. All speakers will sound different depending on the room they are in. As your dealer's demo room is unlikely to be anything like your own room, demoing them at the dealer's won't really give you a great insight into how they will sound at home. You can get a rough idea of how one speaker sounds compared to another, but no 'absolute' idea. A good dealer should have a good return policy, allowing you to take the speakers home, audition them, and if you don't like them, return them in original condition for exchange. If they won't do that, then by my definition they are not a 'good dealer'.

Quote:
Yes, it was the Dreamcatcher (or the Rainmaker, can't recall exactly, but one of those two...) that first caught my attention to the Totem brand. I was actually comparing Golden Ears and Paradigms in a closed room during which somebody else started listening to the Totems right outside the room. As soon as somebody opened the door to the listening room I was in, the Totems hit - and it was like, WOW. Then I seriously began checking these out. I have heard / read good things about Tannoys, but no local dealers to me.
Like I say, the Totems are good speakers IMO - but not good value for money. If you like them, and can afford them, then buy them. I'm only telling you what I think - not telling you what to do.
post #307 of 961 Old 01-02-2016, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Hold up. You're saying that if speakers measure the same in a room, they can still sound different? I would have thought that the amp police would be all over you for that theory.
He's talking about speakers not amps. If you look carefully, you can see that amps and speakers are not the same as each other Example clue: amplifiers don't sound different when placed in different rooms.
post #308 of 961 Old 01-02-2016, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
Quote:

Yes, it was the Dreamcatcher (or the Rainmaker, can't recall exactly, but one of those two...) that first caught my attention to the Totem brand. I was actually comparing Golden Ears and Paradigms in a closed room during which somebody else started listening to the Totems right outside the room. As soon as somebody opened the door to the listening room I was in, the Totems hit - and it was like, WOW. Then I seriously began checking these out. I have heard / read good things about Tannoys, but no local dealers to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
That's the problem. All speakers will sound different depending on the room they are in. As your dealer's demo room is unlikely to be anything like your own room, demoing them at the dealer's won't really give you a great insight into how they will sound at home. You can get a rough idea of how one speaker sounds compared to another, but no 'absolute' idea. A good dealer should have a good return policy, allowing you to take the speakers home, audition them, and if you don't like them, return them in original condition for exchange. If they won't do that, then by my definition they are not a 'good dealer'.
Jonas2, a compromise might be to ask your dealer if you can move the Totems into the same room where you had auditioned the other speakers. Set them up in as close to the same position as the other speakers you've already auditioned and found to be less compelling. This way, you eliminate the location factor that may have largely contributed to your better impression of the Totems. This will be a more fair way to evaluate the Totems vs the other speakers since the room itself is such a large influence upon the speaker sound.

Granted, it still won't tell you how the Totems will do in your own room, but it's a major step in the right direction. Even some good dealers might balk at allowing a new potential customer to take home speakers for audition, so I wouldn't necessarily hold that against them if they are unwilling to allow that. But if they don't allow you to move the speakers around in their showroom at least, then yea, I'd kick this dealer to the curb.
kbarnes701 likes this.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
post #309 of 961 Old 01-02-2016, 10:45 AM

+1. At least it will allow you to perform a fair relative comparison. I was all set to buy Magnepan 20's over the 3's I auditioned many years ago when the dealer moved the 3's into the bigger room with the 20's. Most of the sonic difference evaporated and I saved a bundle of money (I didn't really have space for the 20's anyway). In college I spent a fair amount of my time working for a couple of audio stores (mainly as a tech) setting up systems in people's homes to audition. Few dealers seem to do that now, probably just not cost-effective. Of course, back then we had mail order to contend with instead of the Internet, but it still hurt when, after spending hours helping a customer find "the" system, he ordered from a catalog to save 10%. However, a number of high-end dealers will still install systems for trial, though IME they are more selective about it.
kbarnes701 likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #310 of 961 Old 01-02-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
Even some good dealers might balk at allowing a new potential customer to take home speakers for audition, so I wouldn't necessarily hold that against them if they are unwilling to allow that. But if they don't allow you to move the speakers around in their showroom at least, then yea, I'd kick this dealer to the curb.
Quote:
+1. At least it will allow you to perform a fair relative comparison. I was all set to buy Magnepan 20's over the 3's I auditioned many years ago when the dealer moved the 3's into the bigger room with the 20's. Most of the sonic difference evaporated and I saved a bundle of money (I didn't really have space for the 20's anyway). In college I spent a fair amount of my time working for a couple of audio stores (mainly as a tech) setting up systems in people's homes to audition. Few dealers seem to do that now, probably just not cost-effective. Of course, back then we had mail order to contend with instead of the Internet, but it still hurt when, after spending hours helping a customer find "the" system, he ordered from a catalog to save 10%. However, a number of high-end dealers will still install systems for trial, though IME they are more selective about it.
+1.

Cruel - the dealer isn't taking any risk - the customer has paid for the speakers before the dealer allows them out of the store. And if the customer brings the speakers back damaged, well he doesn't refund the money ("you break it, you bought it" principle). I'd expect any decent dealer to allow this - if not, I'd move on to one who will. But the idea of auditioning comparatively in the demo room is a good one - at least it gives a relative idea of merit, as in Don's example.
post #311 of 961 Old 01-02-2016, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Rather than multi-quote everyone, I will just say thanks to all for the valuable input! It is greatly appreciated. You're right, my room is VERY different in size of course, and acoustic treatments - I have none, the dealer has them done properly (assume).

What the plan is:

1) Get the dealer to move the various speakers around from one room to another so they can be pitted against one another in the same spaces and on the same equipment (stand alone AVR, vs. higher end per-amp/amp.

2) Continue to audition other brands when / where I can (limited at this point, but not done)

3) See if the dealer will let me "borrow" speakers for an in-home audition and give it a try if they do. If not, need to find out exactly what their return policy is - they don't stock speakers, they order them, so I don't know if a return becomes new overhead for them or not - I could see them NOT wanting to deal with this, but they should have at least a trade-in policy ALA the speakers are undamaged, packaging maintained, etc.

4) Take advantage of a few of the internet brands in-home audition risk-free (SVS, Ascend, ?)

Somewhere in here I will need of course to decide on the AVR at the minimum, and possibly an amp to test of course in home. The dealer knows I'm buying something from him - who knows at this point what that will be, I've already made purchases there of other gear so hopefully that helps a bit. Quite the experience trying to figure this all out - I know I won't get it exactly right the first time, but I don't really have the luxury to not at least get in the ballpark!
post #312 of 961 Old 01-02-2016, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 74
So what are the pros and cons of the new design for the gen 3 ?
post #313 of 961 Old 01-02-2016, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesto719 View Post
So what are the pros and cons of the new design for the gen 3 ?
Well, without having any experience with Emotiva at all, and just based on what I've read about their current / past products, as well as what Emotive is saying about the Gen 3, what I see as a big pro that I believe is one of the features they are banking on, is the upgradability from 2 (?) up to 7 channels, and still delivering decent power with all channels driven.

I like this because while I will not initially need / use a 5 channel set up, I do plan on it at some point - so I could save a few bucks up front and just start with two, maybe three channels and upgrade when needed. The CON to this is my guess is it is more expensive in the long run to upgrade channel by channel, but it'd be nice if one could upgrade without losing too much money on the backside. But we have no info from Emotiva as to how this will be priced (at least not that I've seen), and until then, can't make an any plans. If the upgrade path is too pricey, well, then I just don't know.

Another pro - and only others with Emotiva experience will be able to actually see this as a pro, con, or neither - is that they are incorporating their XPR technology into these amps, from their reference line, is that right? Hey, it sounds like a pro to me, but will it really be one?

Assembled in USA - so maybe better QC / testing before they go out the door? Speculation of course.

CON - More pricey than current XPA, I know a lot of folks have already stated as much. STILL - compared to other amps out there, Emotiva seems like a terrific deal.

The Unknowns:

What will these things look like?
When will they be released?

I'm sure more details will be forthcoming this week at CES.
post #314 of 961 Old 01-02-2016, 10:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
...what I see as a big pro that I believe is one of the features they are banking on, is the upgradability from 2 (?) up to 7 channels, and still delivering decent power with all channels driven.

I like this because while I will not initially need / use a 5 channel set up, I do plan on it at some point - so I could save a few bucks up front and just start with two, maybe three channels and upgrade when needed ...

You can of course pick up a very powerful and well regarded five channel amplifier with the XPA-5 right now, and do it for 20 percent less (on sale) than the new Gen3 will be with just two channels. Based on my limited experience, supplemented by a whole lot of reading regarding blind amplifier comparison test results, I don't think you'll be missing out on anything at all - other than spending a whole lot of money...

Last edited by WestCDA; 01-02-2016 at 10:56 PM.
post #315 of 961 Old 01-03-2016, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post
You can of course pick up a very powerful and well regarded five channel amplifier with the XPA-5 right now, and do it for 20 percent less (on sale) than the new Gen3 will be with just two channels. Based on my limited experience, supplemented by a whole lot of reading regarding blind amplifier comparison test results, I don't think you'll be missing out on anything at all - other than spending a whole lot of money...
Well, there is that!! And it looks like a lot of people are INDEED taking advantage of the Holiday Specials being offered by Emotiva. I do wonder - is the line being completely discontinued? (Did I miss that?) - Unfortunately, I'm not in place to even TEST one if I ordered as I haven gear yet to test! So I wouldn't even know if the thing worked or not during the trial period. Story of my life though, always a day late and a dollar (or several thousand....) short.
post #316 of 961 Old 01-03-2016, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

And by the way, are there any Emotiva employees that monitor and participate on AVS?
post #317 of 961 Old 01-03-2016, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
And by the way, are there any Emotiva employees that monitor and participate on AVS?
their not out in the open if they are. usually they stick to the emo lounge.

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....55" Oled Lg C7 55" Samsung B8500 Fald Channel Master Dvr+ Onkyo RZ900 avr Crown xls 2002 2ch amp Samsung K8500 UBR player Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Svs Satellite Surrounds Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub Bluesound Node 2I 2nd zone room: polk lsim 703's
post #318 of 961 Old 01-03-2016, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post
their not out in the open if they are. usually they stick to the emo lounge.
Ah, kinda too bad. I was wondering as I saw an Anthem person active on a thread about Anthem, receivers I was reading yesterday.
Ted99 likes this.
post #319 of 961 Old 01-07-2016, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Following this thread regarding the new Emotiva's now.

I will be moving back to EU during this year and I most certainly will take an Amp with me - which is the reason for me focusing on Emotiva since they are 240V capable.

The plan for right now is (was?) to go with the XPA-7 and power my HT with this one. I currently run everything through my Onkyo TX-NR929 as follows: Bi-amped Polk Monitor 70, CS2 Center plus rear.

Would you think - in general - that switching to an dedicated amp will improve the performance of the speakers? Also, is Bi-Amping recommended in general?

Now, considering that the Gen-3 will soon show up, the first question arises: is this worth the delta ($1,279 vs $2,000) or not? For the time being, I want to remain with my 5.2 system and eventually upgrade later to Atmos or at least 9.2 - hence, I will need another Amp then - which rises then another question:

For $2k I can power 14 channels considering the Emersa line-up, at of course a lot less power.

Without all the specs being present yet, is there some initial thoughts you could share with me? Also, for my educational purposes, where can I read more about the XPR technology?

Thank you in advance for your comments!

Yamaha CX-A5100 | 2x Emotiva XPA-5 & XPA-3 | PSA MTM-210T | PSA-MTM210C | PSA-MT110SR | 2x PSA V1800 | AM 8033-SII
Sony 65" 4K| Apple-TV | Network stuff | a lot of wires | Understanding & forgiving GF - priceless!
post #320 of 961 Old 01-07-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Grimm View Post

Would you think - in general - that switching to an dedicated amp will improve the performance of the speakers? Also, is Bi-Amping recommended in general?
You will only benefit from a dedicated amp if your current amp is underpowered for the job you are asking it to do (ie the SPL you require at MLP). If, for example, your AVR has a 90 wpc amp, all channels driven, and you can cleanly hit the SPLs you need, at the loudest you will ever listen, and maybe using only 50 watts of the total available per channel, a dedicated, more powerful amp won't bring you any sonic advantages. If, OTOH, you are driving your current amp into or close to clipping (because you demand very high SPLs, or your speakers are very insensitive, or you sit a long way from them) then more powerful amps may be beneficial. But remember you need to double amp power (watts) to get a 3dB increase in SPL. So in my example you'd have to go to at least 200 wpc all channels driven to get any real benefit. There's one other circumstance which comes to mind: if you have speakers with an impedance which drops below 4 ohms, they can prove too demanding for a lot of AVR amps. A dedicated amp that is stable into 4 ohm loads (like the Emos) will be potentially beneficial there as it will stop the AVR amps going into protection. If you have such speakers and your AVR doesn't ever go into protection on loud SPLs then you are good with the AVR amps.

Passive biamping is a waste of good wire. Don't bother with it.
post #321 of 961 Old 01-07-2016, 04:15 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1992 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
Quote:
I would not say anyting in general.

I bi-amp my Revels after listening to a single channel both bi-amped and single amped. Clarity was increased, enough for me anyway. The common view is to do the math and say due to power there is no benefit. However, you are disconnecting the low frequency crossover from the upper crossover. Crossovers are passive and often non-linear. When bi-amped, the current sent to lows and back EMF from the woofers is not longer sent upper crossover.

My recommendation is to try one speaker single amped and bi-amped. If you can't tell the difference, then you're all set.

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
post #322 of 961 Old 01-07-2016, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2314 Post(s)
Liked: 3174
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
My recommendation is to try one speaker single amped and bi-amped. If you can't tell the difference, then you're all set.

- Rich
Don't forget the double blind ABX - sorry Rich but I couldn't resist
MUDCAT45 and Jonas2 like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #323 of 961 Old 01-07-2016, 10:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Following this thread regarding the new Emotiva's now.Now, considering that the Gen-3 will soon show up, the first question arises: is this worth the delta ($1,279 vs $2,000) or not? For the time being, I want to remain with my 5.2 system and eventually upgrade later to Atmos or at least 9.2 - hence, I will need another Amp then - which rises then another question:

Without all the specs being present yet, is there some initial thoughts you could share with me? Also, for my educational purposes, where can I read more about the XPR technology?
I have two thoughts, one - hopefully we'll find out more about these new amps and that they would become available before you move back to the EU! We still don't really know anything (or do we?). Emotive's site still has no info other than the announcement, at least not that I can see. Maybe they've announced something at CES?

The second thought would be that would you really need an amp(s) for Atmos? I'd think a good receiver would be able to handle Atmos speakers, and then let a single amp handle your 5 channels.

But these are merely the thoughts of a noob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
You will only benefit from a dedicated amp if your current amp is underpowered for the job you are asking it to do (ie the SPL you require at MLP). If, for example, your AVR has a 90 wpc amp, all channels driven, and you can cleanly hit the SPLs you need, at the loudest you will ever listen, and maybe using only 50 watts of the total available per channel, a dedicated, more powerful amp won't bring you any sonic advantages. If, OTOH, you are driving your current amp into or close to clipping (because you demand very high SPLs, or your speakers are very insensitive, or you sit a long way from them) then more powerful amps may be beneficial. But remember you need to double amp power (watts) to get a 3dB increase in SPL. So in my example you'd have to go to at least 200 wpc all channels driven to get any real benefit. There's one other circumstance which comes to mind: if you have speakers with an impedance which drops below 4 ohms, they can prove too demanding for a lot of AVR amps. A dedicated amp that is stable into 4 ohm loads (like the Emos) will be potentially beneficial there as it will stop the AVR amps going into protection. If you have such speakers and your AVR doesn't ever go into protection on loud SPLs then you are good with the AVR amps.
AMEN to this. I have been studying up on Totem Acoustic speakers and have encountered stories of individuals smoking or damaging their AVRs with Totem speakers that are not sensitive; many are 4 ohm, and the emphasis has been on powerful amps to wrangle these babies into submission! Apparently even at moderate listening levels.
post #324 of 961 Old 01-10-2016, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So, nothing new on Emotive's website about the amps - any news from CES? My guess is NO......does Emotiva even have a presence at CES? I hate waiting.....
post #325 of 961 Old 01-13-2016, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Quote:
I like this because while I will not initially need / use a 5 channel set up, I do plan on it at some point - so I could save a few bucks up front and just start with two, maybe three channels and upgrade when needed. The CON to this is my guess is it is more expensive in the long run to upgrade channel by channel, but it'd be nice if one could upgrade without losing too much money on the backside. But we have no info from Emotiva as to how this will be priced (at least not that I've seen), and until then, can't make an any plans. If the upgrade path is too pricey, well, then I just don't know.

Another pro - and only others with Emotiva experience will be able to actually see this as a pro, con, or neither - is that they are incorporating their XPR technology into these amps, from their reference line, is that right? Hey, it sounds like a pro to me, but will it really be one?

Assembled in USA - so maybe better QC / testing before they go out the door? Speculation of course.
According to some other sites the modular upgrades will be done only by Emotiva, at their location. So, you will have to ship your amp to them and pay for the shipment both ways. That isnt so bad in the US. Lets say the shipment is $150. But you have to consider the price of the upgrade. A 2 channel XPA Gen 3 will be $999. If you want to upgrade to 7 channel the module installation will be $1,000 (doubling the price of your two channel amplifier). That is a lot of money. Plus you have to consider the power decrease as you move up channel wise. Two channel will be [email protected] Five and seven channel close to [email protected] because transformer size and chassis will remain the same.
I cant imagine any two channel music junkies powering down from 350W to 250W. And most stereo amp buyers use them just for music. HT junkies will buy 5 or 7 channel amps to begin with.
Regarding incorporating their XPR technology into their new Gen 3 XPA line. I dont think so. They are simply getting rid of the XPR because it was too heavy, prone to shipping damages and wasn't as good a sale as the XPA. But I doubt XPR's better parts and design will make it in the new XPA's. The new feature will be the SMPS power supply, which supposedly offers higher efficiency and lower noise. We will see.
On the "made in the US" part. Someone in this very thread mentioned that made in the US offers no benefit to the company other than tighter control. And in most cases what the company does is simply assembles the units here from the parts made still China simply because it is impossible to make them here. So, most likely this is just a justification for hiking the price for the XPA's by 50%.

Site. DAC: Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ || Processor: Marantz AV8801 11.2 Ch || Power Amp: Audio Research Reference 75 (75W tube) || Speakers: Magnepan 3.5R/Polk LSiM707 || Sub 1: REL 212/SE (1,000W). Sub 2: REL S/3 (400W). Sub 3: Sunfire TS-EQ12 (2,700W). || Cables: Cardas Clear, MIT Matrix & T || Power: PS Audio P5 || Headphones: HifiMan HE560 || Turntable: Pro-Ject RPM5 w SoundSmith Zephyr MKIII || Phono: Gold Note PH-10 + PSU-10 .
post #326 of 961 Old 01-13-2016, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Correction - each module will have its own power supply, I made an assumption there (ok, an error!). But the numbers are still right.

Site. DAC: Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ || Processor: Marantz AV8801 11.2 Ch || Power Amp: Audio Research Reference 75 (75W tube) || Speakers: Magnepan 3.5R/Polk LSiM707 || Sub 1: REL 212/SE (1,000W). Sub 2: REL S/3 (400W). Sub 3: Sunfire TS-EQ12 (2,700W). || Cables: Cardas Clear, MIT Matrix & T || Power: PS Audio P5 || Headphones: HifiMan HE560 || Turntable: Pro-Ject RPM5 w SoundSmith Zephyr MKIII || Phono: Gold Note PH-10 + PSU-10 .
post #327 of 961 Old 01-13-2016, 08:26 PM

I thought the XPR line used class H amplifiers, not a SMPS?

post #328 of 961 Old 01-14-2016, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grigorianvlad View Post
According to some other sites the modular upgrades will be done only by Emotiva, at their location. So, you will have to ship your amp to them and pay for the shipment both ways. That isnt so bad in the US. Lets say the shipment is $150. But you have to consider the price of the upgrade. A 2 channel XPA Gen 3 will be $999. If you want to upgrade to 7 channel the module installation will be $1,000 (doubling the price of your two channel amplifier). That is a lot of money. Plus you have to consider the power decrease as you move up channel wise. Two channel will be [email protected] Five and seven channel close to [email protected] because transformer size and chassis will remain the same.
I cant imagine any two channel music junkies powering down from 350W to 250W. And most stereo amp buyers use them just for music. HT junkies will buy 5 or 7 channel amps to begin with.
Regarding incorporating their XPR technology into their new Gen 3 XPA line. I dont think so. They are simply getting rid of the XPR because it was too heavy, prone to shipping damages and wasn't as good a sale as the XPA. But I doubt XPR's better parts and design will make it in the new XPA's. The new feature will be the SMPS power supply, which supposedly offers higher efficiency and lower noise. We will see.
On the "made in the US" part. Someone in this very thread mentioned that made in the US offers no benefit to the company other than tighter control. And in most cases what the company does is simply assembles the units here from the parts made still China simply because it is impossible to make them here. So, most likely this is just a justification for hiking the price for the XPA's by 50%.
Agreed. So called 'modular' designs have been introduced in the past in the AV world and they are rarely worth bothering with. Sometimes the manufacturers promise the modules but never actually release any, making the whole thing a pointless disappointment, and other times the logic just doesn't stand scrutiny, as in your example above, where the cost of adding the modules makes the total price of the unit more than just buying a better-specced unit to begin with.

"Made in the US" is no guarantee of anything other than a higher price. Really what they mean is "Assembled in the USA from Chinese parts, using more expensive labor". There is no reason to doubt the quality of units assembled (truly "made") in China when they are offered by reputable Western companies which use high level quality control to ensure the product is properly made and tested etc. Apple is one obvious example where their entire output is made in China but where there seems to be no significant QC issues. There are numerous other examples in the AV world too.
grigorianvlad likes this.
post #329 of 961 Old 01-14-2016, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought the XPR line used class H amplifiers, not a SMPS?
They were. So, this switch to SMPS is simply to give the XPA more power (closer to the XPR line) with less weight. The trouble with SMPS is that they have less dynamic headroom. Cheap mass-produced SMPS with poor filtering and bad EMI/RFI rejection will be audibly worse at very high volume and dynamic track passages. Therefore this move was purely for specs boosting reasons. Unless Emotiva invested in state of the art parts and out of this world amp design. Sincerely doubt it.

post #330 of 961 Old 01-14-2016, 11:28 AM

I am not sure how you are relating the power supply to the amplifier headroom based on power supply architecture/topology? For transients SMPS' generally react much faster than conventional supplies since they are operating at a much higher rate than the line (e.g. 500 kHz vs. 120 Hz for a transformer+bridge rectifier). The caps get recharged faster so smaller caps can be used, though of course that can cause issues if decoupling is not adequate (true for any supply, natch). I agree that noise can be a major problem, radiated and output, for SMPS. We use them in designs that achieve much lower noise and ripple with smaller components than using conventional power supplies (which would not be an option for various reasons), but we have designers focused on doing it right, and spend a lot of time going back and forth with the SMPS chip manufacturers during the design cycle. And still have problems at times, usually when someone decides to pull a few decoupling caps to save cost and we end up with more noise (best case) or an unstable regulator (worst case, especially when the regulator self-destructs, taking the chip with it!)

My guess is moving to SMPS will save them money with hopefully comparable performance but if they don't use adequate shielding and filtering they'll take an SNR hit.

Moving to SMPS won't give them more power unless they change amp modules as well to provide more swing. No idea their plans, have not been following.

Are they, or are they not, moving to class H amplifiers? That can be done with linear or SM power supplies, natch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page