Emotiva Updates XPA Amplifiers to Generation 3 - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 921Likes

post #871 of 961 Old 12-24-2017, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
I'm confused about emotiva power rating.

Following is from emotiva website:
XPA-3 Gen3 delivers 275 Watts RMS x 3 into 8 Ohms with all channels driven (and 300 Watts RMS into 8 Ohms with two channels driven)

The XPA-11 Gen3 features three of our 300 Watt Single Channel Amplifier Modules and four of our 65 Watt Two Channel Amplifier Modules – for a total of three channels at 300 Watts/channel and eight channels at 65 Watts/channel.

But when I call the tech support regarding build your own option, he told me they use the same mono modules throughout the pre-config or build your own option. He told me if I build the same way as pre-config like XPA-3 or XPA-5 etc. it's the same product.
Then how come the XPA-11 good at 300w/channel for 3 channels?
From the same XPA-11 product page...

“A Word About Power Ratings...

... The power ratings for the XPA Gen3 modular power amplifier are the same with both channels driven continuously in the two-channel version of the amplifier, and for ANY TWO CHANNELS DRIVEN CONTINUOUSLY in the versions of the XPA Gen3 configured with three, four, five, six, or even seven output channels.“

Emotiva manufactures three amplifier modules for the Gen3 series amp... the 300 watt “mono”, the 65 wpc “stereo” and the new 500 watt “Differential Reference” fully balanced mono. The power rating for their 300 watt mono blade (which what is what they're using in an XPA-11) is 300 watts with “TWO” channels driven or 275 watts with “ALL” channels driven.

In this example (using the 300 watt mono blade), the “two channels driven” rating would never change regardless of channel configuration. However, the “all channels driven” rating will vary depending upon the number of channels contained in the build and the simultaneous output demands upon each.

But under “real world” conditions, we don’t drive “all” channels simultaneously demanding the same power output from each. So, if the “two channels driven” rating is 300 watts per channel, that’s what you can count on being able to achieve 99.9% of the time under normal listen conditions.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by DOC1963; 12-25-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 961 Old 12-24-2017, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figarou View Post
I think the problem is with the newer Denon receivers and not the Emotiva.

I bought AudioQuest RCA cables thinking I would have a superior connection between my Denon and Emotiva. But that hum was driving me crazy. I stumbled across those RCA to XLR cables and thought....."oh, why not!!" Hum is gone!! There's a little bit of hiss, but I rather have that than an annoying hum.

You're going to need one for each channel.

Totally worth it if you want to get rid of the hum. They come in different lengths. Order an extra cable in case one comes with a defect. You can see it in this post. <---link
STOP THE PRESS!

I fixed the issue!

I bought just one "PAC SNI-1 Noise Isolator"
Connected it to the Right Surround and the Right Rear Surround. And BAMM!
As Simon and Garfunkel sang: The Sounds of silence
No noise, no hum. No nothing. Just dead silence (except now I can finally hear the fridge from the kitchen area lol).

The relief of silence is utterly amazing.
I did disconnect all the ground wires from the Emotiva, Denon, Monster ground.

And it only cost $9.49

https://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-1-Noi...A+Noise+Filter
LeeG23 and mavericks64 like this.

EPSON 5040UBE | DENON X6400H | XBOX ONE X\PS4 | EMOTIVA XPA-7 GEN 2 |EMOTIVA XPA-3 GEN 3 | ELITE SCREEN 150" ZEREO EDGE W/LED KIT
9.3.4 SURROUND SYSTEM ALL KLIPSCH | L&R RF-7II | CENTER RC64II |FRONT HEIGHTS 2 x RB-81II | 4 SURROUNDS RS-62II | 4 ATMOS CDT-5800 | SUBS R112SW & 2 x R115SW
VEFXI 3D-BEE DIAMOND (2D TO 3D CONVERTER) | DARBE VISION DVP-5000S | LOGITECH HARMONY 800
post #873 of 961 Old 12-25-2017, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3311 Post(s)
Liked: 3421
Anybody in line for the new higher-powered "DR" series amps?

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #874 of 961 Old 12-28-2017, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddp View Post
STOP THE PRESS!

I fixed the issue!

I bought just one "PAC SNI-1 Noise Isolator"
Connected it to the Right Surround and the Right Rear Surround. And BAMM!
As Simon and Garfunkel sang: The Sounds of silence
No noise, no hum. No nothing. Just dead silence (except now I can finally hear the fridge from the kitchen area lol).

The relief of silence is utterly amazing.
I did disconnect all the ground wires from the Emotiva, Denon, Monster ground.

And it only cost $9.49

Did you connect the 'optional' ground wires from the noise isolator to anything?
post #875 of 961 Old 12-28-2017, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mon01ith View Post
Did you connect the 'optional' ground wires from the noise isolator to anything?
Yes, to the (I think it's the phono) GND screw on the back of the unit.
I did quickly test it out with out the 2 brown ground wires attached to anything and it seemed to have solved the issue, but I didn't want 2 loose wires just hanging, so I left it connected to the GND screw and life is good.

EPSON 5040UBE | DENON X6400H | XBOX ONE X\PS4 | EMOTIVA XPA-7 GEN 2 |EMOTIVA XPA-3 GEN 3 | ELITE SCREEN 150" ZEREO EDGE W/LED KIT
9.3.4 SURROUND SYSTEM ALL KLIPSCH | L&R RF-7II | CENTER RC64II |FRONT HEIGHTS 2 x RB-81II | 4 SURROUNDS RS-62II | 4 ATMOS CDT-5800 | SUBS R112SW & 2 x R115SW
VEFXI 3D-BEE DIAMOND (2D TO 3D CONVERTER) | DARBE VISION DVP-5000S | LOGITECH HARMONY 800
post #876 of 961 Old 12-28-2017, 02:20 PM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sddp View Post
Yes, to the (I think it's the phono) GND screw on the back of the unit.
I did quickly test it out with out the 2 brown ground wires attached to anything and it seemed to have solved the issue, but I didn't want 2 loose wires just hanging, so I left it connected to the GND screw and life is good.
thanks for sharing! I have some phantom open ground issues in my house, so I almost anticipate ground loop and other alternating current anomalies when I change things up. Even though I just moved my HT to a new room in the house that tests OK on AC current meter. If I pull the trigger and order a Gen3 , I might just proactively get the noise isolator anyhow. Cant hurt.
sddp likes this.
post #877 of 961 Old 01-04-2018, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Has anybody compared the audio of Gen2 to Gen3?
Mike_WI likes this.
post #878 of 961 Old 01-04-2018, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Stereophile - Emotiva XPA Gen3 two-channel power amplifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
Has anybody compared the audio of Gen2 to Gen3?
I don't know.
You may have seen this already, but..
Emotiva XPA Gen3 two-channel power amplifier
Herb Reichert | Jul 20, 2017
Stereophile
https://www.stereophile.com/content/...0MovHqrIvmV.99
https://www.stereophile.com/content/...ower-amplifier

Emotiva XPA Gen3 two-channel power amplifier Measurements
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/...wVJU8UAiBte.99

Quote:
Emotiva's XPA Gen3 amplifier offers high powers with low levels of noise and distortion, at least at frequencies below 10kHz, at a very affordable price.
But the amplifier's problems at the top of the audioband bother me.
Predicting the subjective effect of this objective behavior is probably an exercise in futility, but I do wonder if it correlates with Herb's finding that the Emotiva sounded "hard and 100% masculine" through two of the speakers he tried with it.—John Atkinson
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/...wVJU8UAiBte.99
and 1/12/17
Emotiva XPA Gen3 Modular Amp
https://www.stereophile.com/content/...n3-modular-amp

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link

Last edited by Mike_WI; 01-04-2018 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Emotiva XPA Gen3 two-channel power amplifier Measurements
post #879 of 961 Old 01-04-2018, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

^^^
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post49083025
wilbur_the_goose
" I still wish ANYBODY would compare a Gen3 to a Gen 2 or Gen 1."

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post49905217

Simplified:

Gen 1 was a standard class AB design but with a little higher gain than most comparable amplifiers. That made it easier to drive to full output, and might sound better in a system without level matching (i.e. no AVR to match levels), but also led to higher noise with very sensitive speakers.

Gen 2 changed the gain structure a bit and tweaked the circuit design (per Emotiva) but I'm not sure there was much of a sonic change (if any) except due to the lower gain.

Gen 3 went to a modular design and class G or H operation (they claim H but thers have said the schematics show class G; I am not sure) that adjusts the power supply rails with signal to provide improved efficiency and lower heat. Note the basic amplifier is still class AB.

Emotiva historically has a couple of sales a year but you'd have to ask them their motives. Doubt they'll say much if anything, though...

IMO/FWIWFM - Don

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
post #880 of 961 Old 01-04-2018, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I've had an XPA3-Gen 3 for about 15 months. This is my first separate amp so I can't compare to anything else but it was a big upgrade from using my AVRs amps to power my front three. No issues so far. I bought the amp during Emotiva's holiday sale in 2016, which is the last time they had a sale. In early 2017 the announced they were not going to have sales anymore, and that has been the case so far. Another review you may have seen:

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...lifier-review/

Marantz SR6012
Emotiva XPA3 Gen3
Oppo UDP 203
Panasonic TC-P50GT30 Plasma
B&W CM9 S2 Fronts, CC6 Center, WP1 Sides & Rears, ASW 3000 Sub
post #881 of 961 Old 01-05-2018, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I know about the spec changes. But does Gen 3 sound any different than Gen 2?
post #882 of 961 Old 01-11-2018, 05:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question for the group,

I have never owned or used a separate amp, always stuck with the receiver to drive the speakers.

I just upgraded my center channel to the Infinity IL 36c from the 25c ( I know they are old speakers...but I love the model) and have my IL 40 towers bi-amped and so far I love it, but I'm wondering if adding an amp to my system will provide any real tangible upgrade? The Sony ES1100 sounds great...but it seems like I'm having to really turn up the power to get good volume out of it. Maybe the older Infinity speakers need more power?

The Emotiva CPA gen 3 seems to be about the best amp for the money around... so I wanted to ask in here.

Thanks for any help!
post #883 of 961 Old 01-18-2018, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@jae44 - beware!

I had a really nice Denon and picked up an XPA-5. Nice improvement. I then got my self an Emotiva XMC-1. Huge improvement.

It's a slippery slope!
tngiloy likes this.
post #884 of 961 Old 03-14-2018, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 232
XPA-7 (Gen3) For Sale

If anyone is interested, I posted my XPA-7 for sale in the classifieds section. I am including the 7 custom Blue Jeans XLR cables ($200 value) with inverted phase to correct for the Emotiva's non-European XLR pin configuration. I can vouch that the cables work. Using standard cables, all my speakers showed out-of-phase when running Audyssey. After installing the new custom XLR cables, no more phase error from Audyssey.

Sean
post #885 of 961 Old 03-14-2018, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Question Phase

Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
If anyone is interested, I posted my XPA-7 for sale in the classifieds section. I am including the 7 custom Blue Jeans XLR cables ($200 value) with inverted phase to correct for the Emotiva's non-European XLR pin configuration. I can vouch that the cables work. Using standard cables, all my speakers showed out-of-phase when running Audyssey. After installing the new custom XLR cables, no more phase error from Audyssey.
What speakers?
Some speakers are out of phase.

Mike

post #886 of 961 Old 03-14-2018, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post
What speakers?
Some speakers are out of phase.

Mike
Hi Mike,
Not sure I understand your question. Any and all speakers I connected to the XPA-7 would show out-of-phase every time I ran Audyssey, prior to changing over to the custom XLR cables. I have used KEF and PSB speakers with the Emotiva amp.

Sean
post #887 of 961 Old 03-14-2018, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 3741 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quote:
Thanks for posting this. I've had 3 of these amps for 1.5 years and never was aware of this, and not too happy to find out about this, even if perhaps (?) there is no implication in my setup. Guys, please see this https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post55857066 and let me know what you think.

At a minimum I would like a good explanation from Emotiva on why they intentionally reverse the polarity. All this time I just thought Audyssey had it wrong.
post #888 of 961 Old 03-15-2018, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post
Thanks for posting this. I've had 3 of these amps for 1.5 years and never was aware of this, and not too happy to find out about this, even if perhaps (?) there is no implication in my setup. Guys, please see this https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post55857066 and let me know what you think.

At a minimum I would like a good explanation from Emotiva on why they intentionally reverse the polarity. All this time I just thought Audyssey had it wrong.

There are two different/valid configurations... European and American. For whatever reason, Emotiva chose to use the less prevalent (now) American pin arrangement.

Sean
post #889 of 961 Old 03-15-2018, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
There are two different/valid configurations... European and American. For whatever reason, Emotiva chose to use the less prevalent (now) American pin arrangement.
Here is some info on this somewhat confusing subject- at least for me:
This from QSC audio forum-
There is no "American" or "European" XLR pinout. The AES adopted a standard of pin 2 = + (or "hot") and pin 3 = - (or "cold") back in 1992 (http://www.aes.org/publications/standar ... m?docID=19). Before that, it was haphazard, with some manufacturers using pin 2 + polarity and others using pin 3 +. It's possible that more European manufacturers used one than the other and more American manufacturers used the opposite (perhaps a point of confusion for Marantz); I only know that there was quite a mix (QSC has always used pin 2 +, but in the early 90s I worked for another US power amp manufacturer that used pin 3 +), and probably the overall number tilted a bit in favor of pin 2. At the September 1990 AES Convention in Los Angeles, the LA section spoofed that lack of decisive coordination by handing out "XLR Polarity Indicator" spinner cards; the possible results were "Pin 2 +," "Pin 3 +," and "Spin again." :lol:

Fortunately, for any processor, cable, or other device with balanced XLR input and XLR output, there is no polarity issue as long as it is the same from in to out. For other audio devices that convert between balanced and unbalanced, such as microphones, power amps, DI boxes, etc., polarity doesn't matter much unless you're using multiple ones (i.e., more than one amp) with different polarities.
Bob Lee
Technical Communications Developer
QSC, LLC
Fellow, Audio Engineering Society

This from the Stereophile XPA review-
"The gain at the loudspeaker terminals for both balanced and unbalanced inputs was 29.4dB, and while the output preserved absolute polarity (ie, was non-inverting) for the unbalanced input, the balanced input inverted polarity, suggesting that the XLR jacks are wired with pin 2 cold, the opposite of the modern convention. The balanced input impedance was moderately high, at 27.5k ohms; the unbalanced input impedance was 14.5k ohms at low and middle frequencies, dropping to 9.5k ohms at the top of the audioband.
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/emotiva-xpa-gen3-two-channel-power-amplifier-measurements#c7HcpV5P3khGWqp8.99"

So from what I can figure this would cause phase problems if:
-you mixed balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (RCA) connections coming into the XPA, or
-you were using another model amp for some channels along with the XPA

Since I am using just the XPA for my speakers I figured it I was cool, UNTIL I remembered I did have a different amp in my HT setup-- my SVS sub's built in amp. So I checked its manual and couldn't find anything there re: pin configuration.
So I decided to use the 'null' method to check the phase between my sub and my fronts at the x-over frequency. I changed the subs phase setting from 0*, 15* at a time and noted the SPL reading at each phase level up to 180*. At 180* I had the highest level, at 0* the lowest SPL reading.
The point of this post is if you are using the XLR connections into the XPA and have a powered sub connected to your processor you would be wise to check your speaker/sub phase. It doesn't take very long to do. Dirac, AFAIK, does not adjust for phase between subs and mains, but would would be happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.
BarryDMartin likes this.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #890 of 961 Old 03-15-2018, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was curious what the polarity is on the SVS sub's XLR connections and just got a message back from them that they use the standard AES configuration with 2 pin +/hot.

FWIW I am now using this https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and have set my sub's phase to 0*. A BlueJean cable like @stash64 uses is another option, as is setting the phase to 180*.
Bottom line is that if you use the XLR's into your XPA you will want to check your speakers/sub phase.

Tom

post #891 of 961 Old 03-15-2018, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngiloy View Post
Bottom line is that if you use the XLR's into your XPA you will want to check your speakers/sub phase.

Tom
Very good point and exactly the reason I purchased the custom (phase inverted) Blue Jeans XLR cables. Even though I was using one amp (XPA-7) and all speakers were out-of-phase (which is fine since they are all out-of-phase together), my powered subwoofers were potentially out-of-phase.

Sean
post #892 of 961 Old 03-16-2018, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Very good point and exactly the reason I purchased the custom (phase inverted) Blue Jeans XLR cables. Even though I was using one amp (XPA-7) and all speakers were out-of-phase (which is fine since they are all out-of-phase together), my powered subwoofers were potentially out-of-phase.

I had the same issue with my gen 3, called Emotiva and they reassured me that the amp was not phase inverting! I then bought new xlr cables thinking I had bad cables, obviously to no avail. I have the gen3 powering the fronts, and a deferent powering surrounds and atmos. Would one fix to bring all in phase consist of switching the speaker wire terminals going into my other amp?
post #893 of 961 Old 03-16-2018, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubPlate View Post
Would one fix to bring all in phase consist of switching the speaker wire terminals going into my other amp?
Certainly, you can and should do the speaker wire flip at the amp or the speakers... if you don't intend to spend money to fix the out-of-phase. It will do the same thing as the phase inverting cables or the phase inverting Hosa adapter someone else mentioned. I went with custom cables because I am too anal I suppose to know that my speaker wires are crossed on purpose. The Hosa adapter would not have worked for me either because the XPA-7 is so deep that I barely had room for the XLR cables even though I am already using an extended back panel on my entertainment stand.

Sean
post #894 of 961 Old 03-16-2018, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubPlate View Post
I had the same issue with my gen 3, called Emotiva and they reassured me that the amp was not phase inverting! I then bought new xlr cables thinking I had bad cables, obviously to no avail. I have the gen3 powering the fronts, and a deferent powering surrounds and atmos. Would one fix to bring all in phase consist of switching the speaker wire terminals going into my other amp?
This is an email I got from Emotiva a while back when I was concerned about the Stereophile review mentioning the pin reversal on the XLR connections:

AUG 24, 2017 | 05:25PM CDT
Keith Levkoff replied:
Tom,

I checked with engineering and there seems to be some slight confusion about wiring and circuit conventions (and what they mean by how things are connected).
In short, overall, from input to output, the XPA Gen3 amp preserves absolute phase when using the unbalanced inputs and inverts absolute phase when using the balanced inputs.

I'll let you make your own judgement. I'm not sure who you talked with at Emo, but Keith is pretty high up in the company.

I am not an expert, so I am happy to be corrected, but If all your speakers are out of phase it should not make a difference. I think of it as an Army squad marching. Whether all the soldiers start marching 'left, right, left' or if they all start 'right, left, right' they will be in sync. If one soldier starts on the wrong foot then there is a problem.
If you have some speakers run non-inverted (the AES standard) from another amp in the same system with an XPA Gen3 amp then you will have problems. In my case it was my SVS sub that (like almost everyone else) uses the AES standard pin configuration in the same system with my speakers powered by my XPA Gen3 amp.
In your case the FR/C/FR are out of phase with all your other speakers, including your sub(s). It would be easier to just fix the FR/C/FL speakers with either special cables like stash64 used, an phase inverter like I use or use the unbalanced RCA connections to the XPA.

Tom

I edited my post to clarify that I am referring to the XPA Gen3 amps. I do not know what the XLR pin configuration is on their earlier amps.
BarryDMartin and Mike_WI like this.

Last edited by tngiloy; 03-17-2018 at 01:38 PM.
post #895 of 961 Old 03-17-2018, 01:27 PM

Liked: 3
Installed a XPA2 G3 this week, getting a sound coming from the speakers now (Polk RTiA9). It's not very loud, I have to put my ear close to the speakers to hear it, but it wasn't there when everything was hooked up to the receiver only (Onkyo RZ810) I am using RCA cables from the preouts. I unplugged all cables from the entire setup, then powered just the receiver and amp and hooked up only the front L+R speakers. Sound was still there, so I think this is a problem with either the preout on the receiver or the input on the amp. I don't have any other receiver with preouts and don't have another amp so I can't swap things out to see what changes. I did try several different power strips and also straight into the wall socket with no change at all, further reinforcing my thought that this is an issue solely between the receiver preouts and the amp inputs.

I could probably ignore this problem since it is so quiet, the sound is the same regardless of volume level so you'd never really notice it during normal listening. But it is bothering me all the same. I ordered a few monoprice RCA to XLR cables as was suggested earlier in this thread and they arrive tomorrow. I suppose if that works then I'll have to check out the phase of the speakers as the posts in the last page or so have discussed the possible phase problems when using XLR inputs. I'm not sure what to look for exactly to make sure they are in phase or out of phase.
post #896 of 961 Old 03-17-2018, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4070 Post(s)
Liked: 3792
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan3786 View Post
Installed a XPA2 G3 this week, getting a sound coming from the speakers now (Polk RTiA9). It's not very loud, I have to put my ear close to the speakers to hear it, but it wasn't there when everything was hooked up to the receiver only (Onkyo RZ810) I am using RCA cables from the preouts. I unplugged all cables from the entire setup, then powered just the receiver and amp and hooked up only the front L+R speakers. Sound was still there, so I think this is a problem with either the preout on the receiver or the input on the amp. I don't have any other receiver with preouts and don't have another amp so I can't swap things out to see what changes. I did try several different power strips and also straight into the wall socket with no change at all, further reinforcing my thought that this is an issue solely between the receiver preouts and the amp inputs.

I could probably ignore this problem since it is so quiet, the sound is the same regardless of volume level so you'd never really notice it during normal listening. But it is bothering me all the same. I ordered a few monoprice RCA to XLR cables as was suggested earlier in this thread and they arrive tomorrow. I suppose if that works then I'll have to check out the phase of the speakers as the posts in the last page or so have discussed the possible phase problems when using XLR inputs. I'm not sure what to look for exactly to make sure they are in phase or out of phase.
This is a common issue with Emotiva amps. There's been a lot of often heated discussion about it over the years but as I recall it has something to do with the Emotiva circuit design topology and internal gain setting, and the sensitivity of the loudspeakers that are connected to it. My 5 channel unit has the same very low-level hiss, volume independent, and I've learned to just ignore it and will never purchase another Emotive unit. All the previous amps I've had over years including my most recent Parasound units never had this hiss problem, they all were stone quiet.
ryan3786 likes this.
post #897 of 961 Old 03-17-2018, 01:49 PM

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
This is a common issue with Emotiva amps. There's been a lot of often heated discussion about it over the years but as I recall it has something to do with the Emotiva circuit design topology and internal gain setting, and the sensitivity of the loudspeakers that are connected to it. My 5 channel unit has the same very low-level hiss, volume independent, and I've learned to just ignore it and will never purchase another Emotive unit. All the previous amps I've had over years including my most recent Parasound units never had this hiss problem, they all were stone quiet.
Thanks, a bit discouraging though! The sound only seems to come from the tweeters, and it sounds like a general electrical buzz with a repeating tick sound mixed in as well, very rapid ticks about 3 or 4 a second.
post #898 of 961 Old 03-17-2018, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4070 Post(s)
Liked: 3792
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan3786 View Post
Thanks, a bit discouraging though! The sound only seems to come from the tweeters, and it sounds like a general electrical buzz with a repeating tick sound mixed in as well, very rapid ticks about 3 or 4 a second.
I don't recall ever hearing any tick sounds so you may have something else going on besides the low-level hiss.
post #899 of 961 Old 03-19-2018, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 10
XPA Gen 3 - Build Your Own

This looks like a nice concept. The mono card/module looks like it has plenty of power. I like that they have the XLR input option.

For surround channels, the stereo module with 65 W per channel seems light. Not really any better than the average receiver out there when all channels are driven.

I'm not worried about average volume but having enough headroom for the big peaks.

What do you think?

Outlaw 5000 has twice the power per channel but no balanced inputs.
post #900 of 961 Old 03-23-2018, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetrack97 View Post
This looks like a nice concept. The mono card/module looks like it has plenty of power. I like that they have the XLR input option.

For surround channels, the stereo module with 65 W per channel seems light. Not really any better than the average receiver out there when all channels are driven.

I'm not worried about average volume but having enough headroom for the big peaks.

What do you think?

Outlaw 5000 has twice the power per channel but no balanced inputs.
I'm a bit of an Emotiva fanboy. However, if you're looking for a value priced alternative,
Monoprice recently introduced the Monolith 7X amplifier that includes unbalanced RCA
and balanced XLR inputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page