Emotiva Updates XPA Amplifiers to Generation 3 - Page 31 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 917Likes

post #901 of 925 Old 03-24-2018, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetrack97 View Post
This looks like a nice concept. The mono card/module looks like it has plenty of power. I like that they have the XLR input option.

For surround channels, the stereo module with 65 W per channel seems light. Not really any better than the average receiver out there when all channels are driven.

I'm not worried about average volume but having enough headroom for the big peaks.

What do you think?

Outlaw 5000 has twice the power per channel but no balanced inputs.

what/how many speakers are you planning on running? are you looking at the XPA-11?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 925 Old 03-24-2018, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
what/how many speakers are you planning on running? are you looking at the XPA-11?
I was going to use for all of the surrounds as a minimum. I have some pretty good amplification for the LCR.
post #903 of 925 Old 03-29-2018, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
There are two different/valid configurations... European and American. For whatever reason, Emotiva chose to use the less prevalent (now) American pin arrangement.
I think the potential conflict depends on the wiring in the AVR/AVP. When I was researching for my new AVP I noted that the Marantz products (AVRs and AVPs) have the European configuration. I don't know about Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Arcam, etc. I ended up buying an Anthem AVM 60 which seems to have the American (Canadian?) wiring as I have had no trouble with the XPA-7 Gen 3 driving the main channels on the Anthem.

This discussion has raised another issue for me. When I had a Yamaha AVR and an Onkyo AVR before that, YPAO and Audyssey would identify channels that were out of phase. For the Anthem Room Correction I don't see anything to indicate that it will identify an out of phase channel. Perhaps it does and internally corrects the phase. Something to check when I next run ARC.

BTW - I am using Blue Jeans XLR balanced connections from the Emotiva to the Anthem. They are "regular" XLRs as far as I know.

Anthem AVM 60, 7.2.4 configuration with Emotive XPA-7 Gen3 and Anthem PVA 4 amplifiers.
B&W 683 S2 (FLR); B&W HTM61 S2 (C); B&W 685 S2 (SLR); B&W 685 S2 (RSLR); 4 x B&W CCM663 (Ceiling/Presence/Atmos); 2 x Sunfire HRS-12 (Subwoofers)
LG OLED65E6P, OPPO UDP-203, Project RPM1 Carbon Turntable, Apple TV 4K, Ultralink HDC-150 Power, Harmony Elite Remote, Arris Cable Box, Primacoustics London 12 Room Treatment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #904 of 925 Old 03-29-2018, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryDMartin View Post
I think the potential conflict depends on the wiring in the AVR/AVP. When I was researching for my new AVP I noted that the Marantz products (AVRs and AVPs) have the European configuration. I don't know about Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Arcam, etc. I ended up buying an Anthem AVM 60 which seems to have the American (Canadian?) wiring as I have had no trouble with the XPA-7 Gen 3 driving the main channels on the Anthem.
The out-of-phase condition is not something you would even notice if you use only the Emotiva amp because "all" your speakers would be out-of-phase and thus relatively in phase. It has nothing to do with being able to power the speakers. And even if someone was using a second amp that had the same XLR pin arrangement as their pre-amp, but different than the Emotiva, it still might not be very obvious that the speakers driven by the two amps are relatively out-of-phase.

Most people (myself included) were tipped off by Audyssey, which would show all speakers driven by the Gen3 amp as out-of-phase.

Sean
post #905 of 925 Old 03-29-2018, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
The out-of-phase condition is not something you would even notice if you use only the Emotiva amp because "all" your speakers would be out-of-phase and thus relatively in phase. It has nothing to do with being able to power the speakers. And even if someone was using a second amp that had the same XLR pin arrangement as their pre-amp, but different than the Emotiva, it still might not be very obvious that the speakers driven by the two amps are relatively out-of-phase.

Most people (myself included) were tipped off by Audyssey, which would show all speakers driven by the Gen3 amp as out-of-phase.
Not to sound like a broken record, but it is very important to check the phase between your speakers, especially the fronts, and your subwoofer(s). Since most subs are wired in the AES standard (American) way they will be out of phase with speakers run through the XLR's of the XPA Gen3 amps. If they are out of phase the music/soundtrack at the crossover you set will be affected.
Here is one (of many) ways to check speaker/sub phase: https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...phase-easy-way
It's worth your time and effort to check this out.

Tom

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #906 of 925 Old 03-30-2018, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 3102 Post(s)
Liked: 3045
Note room correction programs should automatically fix the phase for you. And since speakers are in general at different distances from the MLP in general phase may vary anyway. It is important all speakers be in phase at the MLP, and for subs it is important that they be in phase with the other speakers at the crossover frequency.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #907 of 925 Old 03-30-2018, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Note room correction programs should automatically fix the phase for you. And since speakers are in general at different distances from the MLP in general phase may vary anyway. It is important all speakers be in phase at the MLP, and for subs it is important that they be in phase with the other speakers at the crossover frequency.
This is my point, and the article shows an easy way to check this. All you need is a good SPL meter (I use my trusty old RS), a disc or download that has test tones at different frequencies (specifically your x-over freq) and the patience to do the measurements.
Doing this test I found my SVS sub to get the best reading when its phase is set to 180*. I actually fixed this by attaching an XLR 'phase reverser' -
https://www.amazon.com/HOSA-XLR-COUP.../dp/B000068O4L
and set my sub's phase at 0* which also produced the best results.
Most RC programs do not check sub/speaker phase. I think maybe the advanced Audyssey does, but I would check the sub/speaker phase at the x-over no matter what RC I am using. But that's just me. YMMV.

"When all else fails, read the manual."
post #908 of 925 Old 03-30-2018, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Yes, I follow all of that. I have my four ceiling/ATMOS speakers driven by an Anthem PVA-4 using unbalanced connections. They could be out of sync relative to the seven main channels. If they are I haven't noticed any problems with the sound or when I ran the ARC room correction.

Anthem AVM 60, 7.2.4 configuration with Emotive XPA-7 Gen3 and Anthem PVA 4 amplifiers.
B&W 683 S2 (FLR); B&W HTM61 S2 (C); B&W 685 S2 (SLR); B&W 685 S2 (RSLR); 4 x B&W CCM663 (Ceiling/Presence/Atmos); 2 x Sunfire HRS-12 (Subwoofers)
LG OLED65E6P, OPPO UDP-203, Project RPM1 Carbon Turntable, Apple TV 4K, Ultralink HDC-150 Power, Harmony Elite Remote, Arris Cable Box, Primacoustics London 12 Room Treatment
post #909 of 925 Old 03-30-2018, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryDMartin View Post
Yes, I follow all of that. I have my four ceiling/ATMOS speakers driven by an Anthem PVA-4 using unbalanced connections. They could be out of sync relative to the seven main channels. If they are I haven't noticed any problems with the sound or when I ran the ARC room correction.
The unbalanced inputs on the Emotiva do not have the phase shift issue, just the XLR inputs. So it is a flip of the coin as to what inputs you should use to match the phase from the Anthem amp. It might be a good idea to perform phase test with an SPL meter per the link provided by tngiloy.

Sean
post #910 of 925 Old 04-01-2018, 10:17 AM
EdQ

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
This is a common issue with Emotiva amps. There's been a lot of often heated discussion about it over the years but as I recall it has something to do with the Emotiva circuit design topology and internal gain setting, and the sensitivity of the loudspeakers that are connected to it. My 5 channel unit has the same very low-level hiss, volume independent, and I've learned to just ignore it and will never purchase another Emotive unit. All the previous amps I've had over years including my most recent Parasound units never had this hiss problem, they all were stone quiet.
Hmm...my XPA-7 I just bought is dead quiet.

Samsung 75" UHDTV | Marantz 7010 - Heights | Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3 | (2) AIRCOM T8 | HTPC with Blu-Ray
Front - Polk RTi12 | Center - Polk CSi5 | Surrounds - Polk RTi6 | Atmos - Polk S15 | Klipsch R-115SW | 7.2.4
post #911 of 925 Old 06-01-2018, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Emotiva Gen 3- less heat?

Hi all,

The wife is planning a cabinet with limited air flow. Of course I'll do what I can, but do you guys know if the new emotiva amps run cool at idle or light "throttle"? Or, any other amps/technology that runs fairly cool compared to "traditional amps"?

thanks!
post #912 of 925 Old 06-02-2018, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr14 View Post
Hi all,

The wife is planning a cabinet with limited air flow. Of course I'll do what I can, but do you guys know if the new emotiva amps run cool at idle or light "throttle"? Or, any other amps/technology that runs fairly cool compared to "traditional amps"?

thanks!
They run cool. Make sure the cabinet is deep enough to house the amp and connectors.

Marantz SR6012
Emotiva XPA3 Gen3
Oppo UDP 203
Panasonic TC-P50GT30 Plasma
B&W CM9 S2 Fronts, CC6 Center, WP1 Sides & Rears, ASW 3000 Sub
post #913 of 925 Old 06-02-2018, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2099 Post(s)
Liked: 1485
Quote:
Hi all,

thanks!
I have an XPA3 Gen3. It runs cool - cooler than the Denon AVR-X4300H that feeds it. I admit that I rarely run the system at head-banger level.

However, both are in an open rack. "limited air flow" sounds a little worrisome to me. I hope that the cabinet is conducive to adding a silent fan, if things get a little hot.

As codyjenkins posted, it's deep. It is spec'd at 19" (more needed for the cable connectors). By comparison, the 4300 is spec'd at 15.3" deep.
post #914 of 925 Old 06-04-2018, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Hi all,

thanks!
https://www.acinfinity.com/

You must definately check this out. There are many solutions and can email them. I have a rack that has access to both front and back with doors, but had no provision for air. I then contacted acinfinity and suggested to modify my back door. I installed two fans on the bottom of the door, that suck air in and two on top (since hot air is lighter than cold) for exhaustion.

In my case, where I have a VERY hot PS4 Pro, it helped a lot especially now on summer.
post #915 of 925 Old 06-04-2018, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Thanks! I currently run a t9 on top of my denon 4400 and their dual plate where I have my gear currently.

We’re going to be converting the wood storage of our fireplace into a media cabinet so I’m not sure what I can do to the rear. We’ll have to see once we get it deconstructed a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5B630B5B-B774-435C-A8CE-A99B6627E88F_1528121637590.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	2411694  
post #916 of 925 Old 06-13-2018, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Thanks! I currently run a t9 on top of my denon 4400 and their dual plate where I have my gear currently.

We’re going to be converting the wood storage of our fireplace into a media cabinet so I’m not sure what I can do to the rear. We’ll have to see once we get it deconstructed a bit.
You can put a pair of exhaustion fans on the right side at the top. It works this way too.
post #917 of 925 Old 12-19-2018, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Any experiences with the XPA-DR series? They seem to be the new top model fra Emotiva though I have not found many opinions or reviews. Would love to see the typical Stereophile measurements.

Home Theater: JBL M2 & SUB18 powered by Crown and BSS.
post #918 of 925 Old 12-19-2018, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasHansen View Post
Any experiences with the XPA-DR series? They seem to be the new top model fra Emotiva though I have not found many opinions or reviews. Would love to see the typical Stereophile measurements.
Thanks for heads up.
Looks good:
XPA-DR3
https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/xpa-dr3
6 user "reviews" there

Amp notes

DR1 $1200 (w/ $240 credit 12/19/18) - 650 W/ch into 8 ohm
DR2 $1600 (w/ $320 credit 12/19/18) - 550 W/ch into 8 ohm
DR3 $2000 (w/ $400 credit 12/19/18) - 450 W/ch into 8 ohm

A fully modular, fully differential, fully balanced audio power amplifier with a high-efficiency switch mode power supply (SMPS), independent, fully discrete, dual differential, high current, short signal path Class A/B amplifier modules, Optimized Class H™ power supply topology, and microprocessor-controlled fault protection.
JonasHansen likes this.

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link

Last edited by Mike_WI; 12-19-2018 at 10:50 AM. Reason: deleted wrong URL for XPA-3 (not XPA-DR)
post #919 of 925 Old 01-30-2019, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I'm also interested in the Emotiva Dr1. I'm looking for a good 500 watt or more two channel setup. I've owned the first generation Wyred4sound SX1000 monoblocks. I have not heard any of the class D audio amps from D Sonic or any hypex model. I want cost-effective monoblocks so it appears the emotiva Dr 1 would be the best value right now. I am desperately looking for opinions on them at this time. Any owners in this thread care to give their impressions of Emotiva Dr1 or Dr2?
post #920 of 925 Old 01-30-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasHansen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post
Thanks for heads up.
Looks good:
XPA-DR3
https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/xpa-dr3
6 user "reviews" there

Amp notes

DR1 $1200 (w/ $240 credit 12/19/18) - 650 W/ch into 8 ohm
DR2 $1600 (w/ $320 credit 12/19/18) - 550 W/ch into 8 ohm
DR3 $2000 (w/ $400 credit 12/19/18) - 450 W/ch into 8 ohm

A fully modular, fully differential, fully balanced audio power amplifier with a high-efficiency switch mode power supply (SMPS), independent, fully discrete, dual differential, high current, short signal path Class A/B amplifier modules, Optimized Class H™ power supply topology, and microprocessor-controlled fault protection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantHT View Post
I'm also interested in the Emotiva Dr1. I'm looking for a good 500 watt or more two channel setup. I've owned the first generation Wyred4sound SX1000 monoblocks. I have not heard any of the class D audio amps from D Sonic or any hypex model. I want cost-effective monoblocks so it appears the emotiva Dr 1 would be the best value right now. I am desperately looking for opinions on them at this time. Any owners in this thread care to give their impressions of Emotiva Dr1 or Dr2?
Looks like no review yet...

Emotiva XPA-DR and XPA Gen3 Series Modular Amplifiers
Jon Iverson
Jan 15, 2018
https://www.stereophile.com/content/...5bH6rFtssAw.99

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (112818 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
post #921 of 925 Old 05-07-2019, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Just hooked up an XPA-11 Gen 3 with 3 Single cards and 4 doubles, confirmed with Audyssey on a Marantz AV7702 pre-pro that all my speaker channels are now out of phase, interesting since it says European and so does Marantz and so does the Lexicon LX-7 replacing it, so Emotiva's "Absolute Phase" is different. I'm just going to swap the + and - plugs at the back of the Amplifier. Looking to upgrade to an RMC-1, so we'll see how phase works out at that point.
post #922 of 925 Old 05-07-2019, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 3102 Post(s)
Liked: 3045
Emotiva's XLR's are out of phase. I thought the RCAs were in-phase but do not know for sure.
LydMekk likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #923 of 925 Old 05-10-2019, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post
Looks like no review yet...

Emotiva XPA-DR and XPA Gen3 Series Modular Amplifiers
Jon Iverson
Jan 15, 2018
https://www.stereophile.com/content/...5bH6rFtssAw.99
ATI is introducing a 500 watt mono block in 5 weeks which is going to a use class d Hypex Ncore modules.
post #924 of 925 Old 05-12-2019, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Just received my Emotiva XPA-7 Gen 3, received it 3 days ago, ordered from my local Emotiva dealer. Have to use a temporary shelf since they forgot to send me the rack ears I ordered.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	XPA-7 2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	772.4 KB
ID:	2565890   Click image for larger version

Name:	XPA-7 1.PNG
Views:	35
Size:	345.6 KB
ID:	2565892  

7.2.4|Klipsch RP-280F|RC-64III|2 RP-402S SL/SR|2 RP-402S Backs|4 SVS Elevations ATMOS|2 Klipsch R-115SW|SANUS CFR2136 Rack|2 AC Infinity Cloudplate T2|Marantz SR7013|Emotiva XPA-7 GEN 3|Outlaw Model 5000|Panamax M-5300-PM|Monster HTS 3600|Epson 5040UB|Logitech Harmony ELITE|NVIDIA Shield PRO|Xbox One X|Sony PS4|HTPC I7 KODI|
post #925 of 925 Old 05-17-2019, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Emotiva's XLR's are out of phase. I thought the RCAs were in-phase but do not know for sure.
Yes they are - had to change up some of the wiring if not most of them. Oh wellz.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190516_210151.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	357.9 KB
ID:	2567988  

7.2.4|Klipsch RP-280F|RC-64III|2 RP-402S SL/SR|2 RP-402S Backs|4 SVS Elevations ATMOS|2 Klipsch R-115SW|SANUS CFR2136 Rack|2 AC Infinity Cloudplate T2|Marantz SR7013|Emotiva XPA-7 GEN 3|Outlaw Model 5000|Panamax M-5300-PM|Monster HTS 3600|Epson 5040UB|Logitech Harmony ELITE|NVIDIA Shield PRO|Xbox One X|Sony PS4|HTPC I7 KODI|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page