Confusion on LFE usage??? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-18-2015, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Confusion on LFE usage???

Ok I'm very new to this. I just got my Denon x2100w, coupled with the Boston Acoustic Classic II 2300 speaker set and the JBL SP150 sub. I'm going to be setting things up when I get home however I've been reading up on LFE and using surround vs stereo audio signals. I'm not quite sure I understand everything. What I think I understand is:

1.) The "Subwoofer Input" on my sub is the same as an LFE port. I just need a sub cable connected from that to my receivers sub port. This is how I currently have it installed.
2.) These speakers both front and back should be set to "small".
3.) I need to set my receiver to LFE + Main so that if I'm not listening to a surround or DTS signal (say like music, or a movie with only stereo audio) this will send bass to the subwoofer even though I only have the woofer plugged in with the Subwoofer Input port and not the other receiver L/R ports on the back of the sub.
4.) Using LFE + Main to send all sub frequencies/sound to the sub over the sub cable will mean I need to compromise on bass levels for music and movies however if I ran LFE AND used the "From Receiver" connections on my sub to the receiver then stereo would go over those cables and ONLY surround would go over LFE and I wouldn't have to sacrifice bass levels as the 1 LFE cable wouldn't be doing the job of both.

Am I understanding those 4 points accurately or am I missing something? I hope this isn't too stupid of a question. I'm just quite new. I'm going home to configure everything after work and wanted to make sure I understood before I get started.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-18-2015, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 743 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22616 Post(s)
Liked: 12310
1. Correct.
2. Correct, setting them to SMALL passes the lower frequencies below the set crossover (eg. 80Hz) to the sub.
3. No, rather leave at factory default of "LFE" as the "LFE + MAIN" is only used when the FL/FR are set to LARGE and then also passes the FL/FR lower frequencies to the sub too resulting in "double bass."
4. See #3 above.

Also, for more help review posts 3-6 in the 2014 Denon AVR Owner's thread linked below .....

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post24721978
post #3 of 5 Old 12-18-2015, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4796
1. Don't know from your link to the Amazon ad, but it is the only input; LFE input sometimes means the low pass filter (crossover) is disengaged but I'd suggest to turn the crossover knob to maximum to start to make sure.

2. Yes when using a subwoofer set speakers to "small" which basically means I want to use the bass management feature in the avr.

3. I wouldn't recommend LFE + Main at all; you'll get bass redirected already simply by using bass management. Try not using LFE+Main first, see if it is to your satisfaction. You can always tweak the subwoofer output level in your avr to adjust somewhat. DynamicEQ I would recommend for moderate volume listening, but not Dynamic Volume.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-18-2015, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 280
LFE is a channel in multichannel (like 5.1) DVDs blurays etc.

The lfe channel plays through the subwoofer on home receivers. The sub should have an input. Its labeling may be about marketing more than reality. Input is input.

The receiver should have a subwoofer output. That output plays the lfe channel, if one exists (none, for example, on cds ) plus low frequency sounds redirected from all the other channels by the receiver's crossovers (aka bass management).
post #5 of 5 Old 12-19-2015, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
1. Correct.
2. Correct, setting them to SMALL passes the lower frequencies below the set crossover (eg. 80Hz) to the sub.
3. No, rather leave at factory default of "LFE" as the "LFE + MAIN" is only used when the FL/FR are set to LARGE and then also passes the FL/FR lower frequencies to the sub too resulting in "double bass."
4. See #3 above.

Also, for more help review posts 3-6 in the 2014 Denon AVR Owner's thread linked below .....

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post24721978
Many many thanks mate. Also thanks for the recommendation of the AVR-x2100w, awesome experience so far. Didn't know what I was missing with this sound bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page