Marantz SR7009 audio problem - voices/main audio is muted/muffled - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 50 Old 03-07-2017, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,826
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by billysworld View Post
Watching a program that was on the dvr last night lost sound on right front stage. The left front stage sounded like it was clipping to compensate for the loss of audio.
When I checked the audio source for the recorded program it was set for PCM stereo.
Changed to a bluray, audio source was also PCM stereo. Again no sound from the right sound speaker. There was sound coming from the surround right speaker though.
Switched back to satellite tv and found a program with dolby digital output, the sound returned to the right front speaker.

All the speakers are Polk lsi rated at 8 ohms with the exception of the center channel which is rated at 4 ohms. Could the center channel be the cause of the audio dropout?
Probably not.

Not hearing audio from one of the speakers can be due to an electronics failure (e.g. in the receiver), a defective or unplugged cable, or a blown tweeter or midrange driver in the speaker.

The receiver getting only a stereo PCM signal is most likely due to a mis-configuration in one or more of your A/V devcies. Settings could be wrong in the player, the TV and/or the receiver.

The initial format of the audio source is up to you. You have to select the appropriate audio processing (or lack thereof) in the player device. If you have an immersive speaker setup, then you want the player to bitstream all soundtracks. In Sony players, for example, Digital Audio Output should be set to Auto and BD Audio Mix should be set to Off (the default is On). Leaving it on forces stereo PCM in all of their current S-series players.

You also have to verify that the receiver and TV are configured properly:
+ The TV has to be configured for use with an external audio system. In some cases, the TV's internal stereo speakers have to be disabled, too.
+ In the receiver, you have to select the option which disables sending audio to the TV: set HDMI Audio Out to AVR, not to TV. See page 205 in the SR7009's owner's manual, which is available at http://manuals.marantz.com/sr7009/na/en
+ In the receiver (for testing) turn off both Zone 2 and Zone 3. If either of them is on and is playing the same input as the Main zone, then the audio will be downgraded to stereo PCM. Again, this is to be compatible with the least capable output device since the Zones are stereo only.

If you don't do all of those things, the player device will detect that the TV has only two speakers and will downconvert its output to 2.0. This is part of the HDMI standard: the player device must emit a signal which is compatible with the least-capable HDMI audio and video display device.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped

Last edited by Selden Ball; 03-07-2017 at 07:20 AM. Reason: added Zone requirements.
Selden Ball is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 50 Old 03-07-2017, 07:14 AM
Member
 
maco07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by billysworld View Post
Watching a program that was on the dvr last night lost sound on right front stage. The left front stage sounded like it was clipping to compensate for the loss of audio.
When I checked the audio source for the recorded program it was set for PCM stereo.
Changed to a bluray, audio source was also PCM stereo. Again no sound from the right sound speaker. There was sound coming from the surround right speaker though.
Switched back to satellite tv and found a program with dolby digital output, the sound returned to the right front speaker.

All the speakers are Polk lsi rated at 8 ohms with the exception of the center channel which is rated at 4 ohms. Could the center channel be the cause of the audio dropout?
Try unplugging non 5.1 speakers and see whats happens as I told you before.
maco07 is offline  
post #33 of 50 Old 03-07-2017, 07:39 AM
Member
 
billysworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by maco07 View Post
Try unplugging non 5.1 speakers and see whats happens as I told you before.
Its a 7.1 setup

Last edited by billysworld; 03-08-2017 at 12:54 PM. Reason: typo
billysworld is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 50 Old 03-07-2017, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 27,563
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2133 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
^^^I think he means unplug any speakers that are not part of the 5.1 setup.

For instance, if you have a 7.1 setup unplug the surround back speakers. if you're using front heights or top front Atmos then unplug those. Then do a factory reset.

Afro GT

Last edited by afrogt; 03-07-2017 at 08:19 AM.
afrogt is offline  
post #35 of 50 Old 03-07-2017, 08:26 AM
Member
 
billysworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Probably not.

Not hearing audio from one of the speakers can be due to an electronics failure (e.g. in the receiver), a defective or unplugged cable, or a blown tweeter or midrange driver in the speaker.

The receiver getting only a stereo PCM signal is most likely due to a mis-configuration in one or more of your A/V devcies. Settings could be wrong in the player, the TV and/or the receiver.

The initial format of the audio source is up to you. You have to select the appropriate audio processing (or lack thereof) in the player device. If you have an immersive speaker setup, then you want the player to bitstream all soundtracks. In Sony players, for example, Digital Audio Output should be set to Auto and BD Audio Mix should be set to Off (the default is On). Leaving it on forces stereo PCM in all of their current S-series players.

You also have to verify that the receiver and TV are configured properly:
+ The TV has to be configured for use with an external audio system. In some cases, the TV's internal stereo speakers have to be disabled, too.
+ In the receiver, you have to select the option which disables sending audio to the TV: set HDMI Audio Out to AVR, not to TV. See page 205 in the SR7009's owner's manual, which is available at http://manuals.marantz.com/sr7009/na/en
+ In the receiver (for testing) turn off both Zone 2 and Zone 3. If either of them is on and is playing the same input as the Main zone, then the audio will be downgraded to stereo PCM. Again, this is to be compatible with the least capable output device since the Zones are stereo only.

If you don't do all of those things, the player device will detect that the TV has only two speakers and will downconvert its output to 2.0. This is part of the HDMI standard: the player device must emit a signal which is compatible with the least-capable HDMI audio and video display device.

Thank you for your reply Selden!

Spoke with tech support at Polk Audio. They state that if the speaker is blown there would be no sound at all.
I can get the sound back one of two ways, switch the input to bluray or sat/cbl on the avr. Sometimes turning the volume above 60 db restores the sound.
Speaker cables are new and were installed with the avr.
The main hdmi board was replaced on the SR7009 Nov 2016. Could it be an issue with the output for the fronts on the avr?
Is there an easy way to test for a blown speaker?

The avr was configured via Audyssey, MultEQ XT32 (Reference level), Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume (Light) are enabled.
The program that was viewed was broadcast in PCM Stereo

TV is monitor only and sound is handled by the avr
HDMI Audio Out to AVR is configured
Zone 2 and 3 are not enabled

I disconnected the center channel for testing purposes and the only hitch was again with the right front speaker. Lost sound for about two seconds but it restored itself.
There were no further issues with sound for the 90 minutes I had everything on.

What should my next steps be, replace the front speakers and or have the avr checked?
billysworld is offline  
post #36 of 50 Old 03-07-2017, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,826
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by billysworld View Post
The main hdmi board was replaced on the SR7009 Nov 2016. Could it be an issue with the output for the fronts on the avr?
That would be my suspicion. Sorry.
Quote:
Is there an easy way to test for a blown speaker?
The easiest test is to swap the speaker cables at the receiver. If the problem moves from one speaker to the other, then the problem is in the receiver. While you're doing that test, verify that the speaker cable going to the problematic speaker is fastened securely at both ends.

If the problem does turn out to be in the speaker (I think that's unlikely given what you've written), play some stereo music (e.g. a CD or mp3) and listen carefully with your ear right next to the individual drivers in the speaker. If one of them is blown, it'll sound poor if it's producing any sound at all. You'll probably want to turn the volume way down while you do that, of course.
Quote:
The avr was configured via Audyssey, MultEQ XT32 (Reference level), Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume (Light) are enabled.
The program that was viewed was broadcast in PCM Stereo

TV is monitor only and sound is handled by the avr
HDMI Audio Out to AVR is configured
Zone 2 and 3 are not enabled

I disconnected the center channel for testing purposes and the only hitch was again with the right front speaker. Lost sound for about two seconds but it restored itself.
There were no further issues with sound for the 90 minutes I had everything on.

What should my next steps be, replace the front speakers and or have the avr checked?
[/quote]

I suspect you'll have to have the receiver repaired. It might be as simple as a poor connection in the speaker binding post's connection to the amp circuit.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #37 of 50 Old 03-07-2017, 10:47 AM
Member
 
maco07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by billysworld View Post
All speakers are 5.1 capable.
I mean any top front/back, height front/back or surround back. Just left 6 speakers plugged (you mention 8 speakers).
Just to find root cause. It's looks to me to a fault decoding when more speakers are in play.
maco07 is offline  
post #38 of 50 Old 03-07-2017, 10:47 AM
Member
 
maco07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
^^^I think he means unplug any speakers that are not part of the 5.1 setup.

For instance, if you have a 7.1 setup unplug the surround back speakers. if you're using front heights or top front Atmos then unplug those. Then do a factory reset.
you got my point
maco07 is offline  
post #39 of 50 Old 03-07-2017, 01:25 PM
Member
 
billysworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by maco07 View Post
I mean any top front/back, height front/back or surround back. Just left 6 speakers plugged (you mention 8 speakers).
Just to find root cause. It's looks to me to a fault decoding when more speakers are in play.
Thank you for the clarification
Its a 7.1 setup and the speakers are as follows
Front Left and Right
Front Left Surround
Front Right Surround
Center channel
Back Surround Left
Back Surround Right
Subwoofer

Based on the rear panel diagram for the SR7009, page 24 of the owners manual each respective speaker is wired in the row that starts with #15
Should I have the speakers connected differently?

Last edited by billysworld; 03-08-2017 at 12:56 PM. Reason: typo 5.1 instead of 7.1
billysworld is offline  
post #40 of 50 Old 03-08-2017, 08:42 AM
Member
 
billysworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
That would be my suspicion. Sorry.

The easiest test is to swap the speaker cables at the receiver. If the problem moves from one speaker to the other, then the problem is in the receiver. While you're doing that test, verify that the speaker cable going to the problematic speaker is fastened securely at both ends.
Dismounted the right front speaker to check the wiring and there were no issues.
Interestingly there were no audio drop outs last night.
I am considering replacing the center channel with an 8ohm rating
In the process of contacting Marantz as this is the third time this unit will be sent in.

Thank you for the feedback and assistance!
billysworld is offline  
post #41 of 50 Old 04-10-2017, 11:31 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Everyone!

First, I'm glad to find this topic because I've the exact same problem. Second, sorry for my English, but I'll do my best.

The first fact that I have a SR7010! So the problem also exists in the following model.
For me the noise and the lack of sound was started at the front right top. Sorry, the configuration is 7.1, (5.1 + two front top speakers; only Wharfedale speakers). It was on the first day at the audyssey setup!
I've checked the cables and the setup finished fine. Heart attack has gone...
Few weeks later the left surround started that popping noise and then I got the muted channel. Some very little sound came out from the speaker but You know it is not good.
Somehow (I really don't remember) maybe with the change of the cables this problem has never occured... at the left rear.
The problem moved to the center speaker and now to the front right. Today the receiver is in service but they could not reproduce the problem.

I've checked all cables all connection points, cut all banana plugs, peeled all cables again. Firmware upgrade, Factory reset. Nothing worked.

Interesting things:
- There were times when not only one channel was affected. Center with the top left mostly.
- When I touch the backplane of the receiver and try to screw the proper channel's speaker terminal it solves the problem! For one day. Next day hardly I can screw again a little bit. Loosening? Or I get stronger. But I can not imagine that there isn't any connection.
- I can reproduce the problem with cable TV, Media player, Spotify, etc.
- After powering On for the first (on a day) the problem comes after a while. The first 10 minutes is OK (Volume 40). Heating problem???

I am suspicios of the two top speakers too, so tomorrow I wiil check Maco07's suggestion.
Be back.
vathor is offline  
post #42 of 50 Old 04-14-2017, 12:47 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello together!

I try to make it short because my english ist not so good.
I´m from Germany, use a Marantz 7010 and have the same Problems with the center sound.

the Only way to stop the problem (for a moment) is to restart the AV.

i make a video (dropboxlink) maybe you can comfim thats the same problem ?

the Sound form the center ist dead, sometimes it comes back for a sec.

The only sound you hear ist from the surround speakers.

Setting ist 7.1.4


im not allow to post Links - is there way to post the Link?
derhan likes this.
ms56koblenz is offline  
post #43 of 50 Old 04-15-2017, 05:30 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms56koblenz View Post
Hello together!

I try to make it short because my english ist not so good.
I´m from Germany, use a Marantz 7010 and have the same Problems with the center sound.

the Only way to stop the problem (for a moment) is to restart the AV.

i make a video (dropboxlink) maybe you can comfim thats the same problem ?

the Sound form the center ist dead, sometimes it comes back for a sec.

The only sound you hear ist from the surround speakers.

Setting ist 7.1.4


im not allow to post Links - is there way to post the Link?
Hallo ,,,,,, Ich schreibe mal in Deutsch da ich vermute das du Deutscher bist.
Ich bin der Stephan aus Köln und schreibe dich an weil ich wohl das gleiche center Problem mit meinem 7010 habe und so langsam verzweifle.
Ist das Problem bei dir noch Aktuell?
Ich hatte gestern mal wieder massive Probleme damit. Das googlen im Netz hilft auch nicht wirklich. Ich habe gelesen das viele Geräte eingeschickt wurden aber dort der Fehler nicht reprodozierbar war.
Der eine gabs als Tipp mal alle Videofunktionen zu deaktivieren. Obs was bringt weiss ich heute Abend.
In einem Forum für Android Player konnte ich lesen das jemand auch den gleichen Fehler hatte . Seine vermutung war das es an seinem Abspieler lag . Marke : Himedia
Dieses Gerät aber besitze ich zb nicht und habe trotzdem die Probleme.
Hast du andere Tipps noch oder Vermutungen?

MFG Stephan
derhan is offline  
post #44 of 50 Old 04-19-2017, 05:59 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hallo!

Ich war derjenige, der den Post im Android Forum schrieb!

Damals ging ich davon aus, das es der Player ist. Ist es aber nicht! Es ist definitv der AV.

Videosektion ausmachen hat bei mir nichts gebracht - mal ein Reset - und ich dachte paar Tage ich hätte Ruhe.

Nix da!

Aktuell behelfe ich mir, indem ich den AV aus und wieder anmache. Die letzten zwei mal hat es geholfen. Aber es gab auch schon Abende, da musste ich es 3-4 mal versuchen.

Ich habe meinen AV bei Grobi.tv gekauft. Habe denen am Freitag eine Email zu kommen lassen.

Auch ich habe Bammel davor, das ich den AV einschicke, zwei Wochen ohne da sitze, und am Ende nichts gefunden wird.

Daher habe ich Videos gemacht, um den Fehler genau aufzuzeigen. Auch wechsel ich die Quelle, zb von Meida Player auf BR Player, Fehler besteht trotzdem.

Daher ist es definitiv der AV.
ms56koblenz is offline  
post #45 of 50 Old 05-02-2017, 01:06 PM
Member
 
billysworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by billysworld View Post
Dismounted the right front speaker to check the wiring and there were no issues.
Interestingly there were no audio drop outs last night.
I am considering replacing the center channel with an 8ohm rating
In the process of contacting Marantz as this is the third time this unit will be sent in.

Thank you for the feedback and assistance!
Just wanted to provide an update.

The SR7009 was sent again to the repair facility in April.
Once again they can't find anything wrong with the unit.

A Denon avr has been put in place of the Marantz and there have been no issues with dropouts from the front speakers.
billysworld is offline  
post #46 of 50 Old 07-05-2017, 09:00 AM
Member
 
maco07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A few days ago I received OTA update to my SR-7009. Anyone else updated?
Does it fixed any of your problems?
Can't find changelog anywhere.
maco07 is offline  
post #47 of 50 Old 12-20-2017, 07:50 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
i am having the same issue.

I Actually use the Optical cable to get it work correctly. i think it's the HDMI board connection that might have a failure.

I have this issue for my xbox, blu ray, TV box. Pain in the ass, for the value it cost, i was expecting something better.

It does work but not has it supposed to.

I was plug in 2.1 , then 5.1 , then 7.1 , same issue everytime.

Complete Klipsch speaker setup
neonmods is offline  
post #48 of 50 Old 12-20-2017, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,826
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
If you're having HDMI problems, you need to consider getting it repaired (unless you want to use it as an excuse to upgrade, of course!) If you bought your receiver with a credit card, it might have extended the warranty for another year or two past the original Marantz three year warranty period. Be sure to check.

FWIW, my SR7009's HDMI works fine. I've used it with Sony BD players, a laptop computer, a Mitsubishi projector and a Vizio TV.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
post #49 of 50 Old 12-20-2017, 09:28 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
If you're having HDMI problems, you need to consider getting it repaired (unless you want to use it as an excuse to upgrade, of course!) If you bought your receiver with a credit card, it might have extended the warranty for another year or two past the original Marantz three year warranty period. Be sure to check.

FWIW, my SR7009's HDMI works fine. I've used it with Sony BD players, a laptop computer, a Mitsubishi projector and a Vizio TV.
Is there a website where we can bought parts for replacement. I should be able to change the HDMI section by my self.

No upgrade for now, got a new baby and new house, no extra to put on the Home theater
neonmods is offline  
post #50 of 50 Old 12-20-2017, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 14,826
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonmods View Post
Is there a website where we can bought parts for replacement. I should be able to change the HDMI section by my self.

No upgrade for now, got a new baby and new house, no extra to put on the Home theater
My understanding is that the HDMI boards are quite expensive when purchased on their own (~$800 maybe?). That's why I suggested checking your credit card contract. Some people have been pleasantly surprised.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Selden Ball is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off