Marantz SR7009 audio problem - voices/main audio is muted/muffled - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 50 Old 12-21-2015, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Marantz SR7009 audio problem - voices/main audio is muted/muffled

New to the forums, and not incredibly knowledgeable about anything to do with av receiver trouble shooting

I have the Marantx SR7009 receiver. Its been working well, reliable and easy to use for the most part up until about a week ago.

I noticed a sound issue while my xbox was attached to it. I'll do my best to explain what the issue is.
The main audio track is muffled sounding. The voice track for any console/blu-ray player is muted/muffled, while all background audio works fine.

I thought the issue was just with my xbox, but it's affecting my blu-ray player and cable/pvr box.

I've called into the store that I purchased the receiver from, but they can't come by to fix it for a few days.

What can I do to fix it?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 12-22-2015, 01:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 727 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22380 Post(s)
Liked: 12178
Could be a defective center speaker perhaps.

Questions about specific AVR models are best posted in their respective Owner's threads, the SR7009 thread linked below ...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...tz-sr7009.html
post #3 of 50 Old 12-22-2015, 02:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 82
For troubleshooting purposes, I would turn off the center channel in the AVR's settings (or play audio in straight stereo mode). If the muffled sound goes away, then the problem would seem to be either the AVR's center channel processing, the wire connection to the center channel, or the center channel speaker.
Madmax67 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 Old 03-20-2016, 02:19 AM
e1F

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi goalieguy981

it has happened to me as well, exactly as you've described it. All the scene music, background, stereo etc are fine, except from the main voice which is muffled.

Originally I've thought it was an issue with the source, but last time it happened I've verified and played the same video track multiple times: results were different - some time the voice is muffled, some time it was not.

I've checked all cable connections on the AV back panel and found the centre cables were loose and hence I've tied them up. Since then (2 weeks now) I haven't experience this anymore. I'll keep you posted if happens again.

e1F.
post #5 of 50 Old 04-03-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1F View Post
Hi goalieguy981

it has happened to me as well, exactly as you've described it. All the scene music, background, stereo etc are fine, except from the main voice which is muffled.

Originally I've thought it was an issue with the source, but last time it happened I've verified and played the same video track multiple times: results were different - some time the voice is muffled, some time it was not.

I've checked all cable connections on the AV back panel and found the centre cables were loose and hence I've tied them up. Since then (2 weeks now) I haven't experience this anymore. I'll keep you posted if happens again.

e1F.
The audio problems with my Marantz SR7009 that I purchased new in December of 2015 are exactly the same as described by goalieguy981 in the original post. I have a Sony BDP-S580 blu-ray connected by HDMI, a Yamaha universal DVD-C7500 connected by 5.1 analog outs and a Motorola DCH6416 cable box/DVR connected by HDMI. I did all the obvious checks like testing or replacing cables bu nothing worked to eliminate the center channel problem. All Marantz customer service could offer on the phone is a factory reset. I think there are defective units out there and maybe we can compare date codes or serial numbers.
post #6 of 50 Old 04-04-2016, 03:35 AM
e1F

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Just want to report the issue has occurred again, so it seems it was not related to any loose cable.
I've bought my Marantz SR7009 in December 2015 as well. Happy to share notes and S/N. I will reach out as well to the seller + Marantz to hear what they have to said about it.

e1F
Madmax67 likes this.
post #7 of 50 Old 05-12-2016, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well let me go ahead and add my recently purchased Marantz SR7009 to the mix. I am currently having the exact same problem as the OP and others are experiencing. I even went a bit further and recalibrated my speakers with AUDESSY thinking that would reset the problem. It did for about a week and then I would see the problem with the center speaker return. My wires are solid and no there are no loose speaker wire anywhere. My issue is mainly when using Surround Sound and the center is the primary speaker in most cases. When I listen to music in stereo there are no issues. But all movies (blu-ray, pc, x-box, hddvd) are all coming out with the muffled sound.
post #8 of 50 Old 08-08-2016, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezufnoC View Post
Well let me go ahead and add my recently purchased Marantz SR7009 to the mix. I am currently having the exact same problem as the OP and others are experiencing. I even went a bit further and recalibrated my speakers with AUDESSY thinking that would reset the problem. It did for about a week and then I would see the problem with the center speaker return. My wires are solid and no there are no loose speaker wire anywhere. My issue is mainly when using Surround Sound and the center is the primary speaker in most cases. When I listen to music in stereo there are no issues. But all movies (blu-ray, pc, x-box, hddvd) are all coming out with the muffled sound.
My receiver just started to have this center channel issue. The output of the center seems to fluctuate up and down in volume like it wants to cut in and out with poor quality. Has anyone found a resolution?
post #9 of 50 Old 08-18-2016, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi Guy's

Exactly same problem with my SR7009 here in New Zealand. My unit was purchased late 2015 and developed the center channel/surround fault shortly after. The unit has just been sent back to the NZ Marantz importer/distributors, but they reckon they can't find any fault???

Has anyone else managed to find out what is going on with these receivers?
post #10 of 50 Old 09-06-2016, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Cool

Hi Guy's,

Quick update on my SR7009 problem.

Just got the Receiver back from the New Zealand service center.

They could not trace the exact fault, but have replaced the main HDMI input board (which also contains the surround sound processors etc on the same board). Got to say that it is now a completely different amp and performs/sounds like it probably should have from day one!

One thing we noticed straight away is how different the volume settings are and also how much improved the rear surround performance is. Prior to repair the Tuner volume was normally set around 40, and Cab/Sat volume needed to be around 55 to 60 to hear the TV okay. Now the Tuner only needs to be set around 25 to 30 and the Cab/Sat input around 40 to achieve the same listening levels as before?

post #11 of 50 Old 09-08-2016, 04:47 AM

Mentioned: 727 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22380 Post(s)
Liked: 12178
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2016 View Post
Hi Guy's,

They could not trace the exact fault, but have replaced the main HDMI input board (which also contains the surround sound processors etc on the same board). Got to say that it is now a completely different amp and performs/sounds like it probably should have from day one!

One thing we noticed straight away is how different the volume settings are and also how much improved the rear surround performance is. Prior to repair the Tuner volume was normally set around 40, and Cab/Sat volume needed to be around 55 to 60 to hear the TV okay. Now the Tuner only needs to be set around 25 to 30 and the Cab/Sat input around 40 to achieve the same listening levels as before?

Likely because you now have Dynamic Volume enabled.
post #12 of 50 Old 09-09-2016, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Hi Guy's,

Note that you can adjust the input gain separately on each input. After making appropriate adjustments to the input gains, you won't have to set the volume contol to different levels for the different inputs.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #13 of 50 Old 10-14-2016, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Hi Guy's,

My 7909 is currently at the service center for a similar issue.

When watching satelite tv, bluray and or Netflix the volume "drops" off and sounds muffled and muted. However background noises such as explosions, airplanes, car engine noises come through fine. Only speech seems to be affected.
The right sound stage also crackles on/off.
Audyssey is setup on this unit.

The repair center has not been able to reproduce the issue and I'm hoping to point them in the right direction. It is a major headache to reinstall this receiver into the rack.
So my question is, since they replaced the hdmi board how has your 7909 been? Anyone issues with sound?

Last edited by billysworld; 10-14-2016 at 01:51 PM.
post #14 of 50 Old 11-03-2016, 10:13 AM

Replaceing the main HDMI input board did not eliminate muted/muffled center channel problem on my SR7009. The local authorized service center told me I would have to settle for a refurbished unit for a replacement. The unit has never malfunctioned in their shop so they are as lost as I am. Does anyone at the AVS Forum have a Marantz contact besides the customer service number?
post #15 of 50 Old 11-13-2016, 06:07 PM

It sounds like you never got this resolved, but I have the exact same issue with a Denon AVR-3311CI, and it only occurs when in Dolby Digital or DTS mode. All my sources are over HDMI, but all sound EXCEPT for dialog will work fine, and dialog will sound like its coming through a speaker with a pillow wrapped around it, i.e. you can hear "mumbling" and hear the voice track very faintly, but it's effectively unintelligible.

Sometimes pausing the content or rewinding a bit will cure the problem. Other times, the only cure is to switch to stereo or "faux surround" mode. It's not the source or the speaker wires, but seems to be something with the surround processing.
post #16 of 50 Old 02-13-2017, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Fixed?

Hi. I was experiencing the same issue. After reading every comment, it looks like it's mostly a software / codec issue more than a hardware failure.
I started trying Factory Reset, but it not lasted more than a few hours. Tried different speakers layouts to check if it was related to some evil combination. Nothing worked.
Two days ago I tried changing "Digital Inputs" option (Input -> Source Level) to +3dB, and it looks like the problem is gone.
I will come back in a few days and confirm.
post #17 of 50 Old 02-17-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maco07 View Post
Hi. I was experiencing the same issue. After reading every comment, it looks like it's mostly a software / codec issue more than a hardware failure.
I started trying Factory Reset, but it not lasted more than a few hours. Tried different speakers layouts to check if it was related to some evil combination. Nothing worked.
Two days ago I tried changing "Digital Inputs" option (Input -> Source Level) to +3dB, and it looks like the problem is gone.
I will come back in a few days and confirm.
It didn't work. Problem back again a few hours later.
After that, I tried unplugging my very very old JBL Flix20 (used as upfiring ATMOS top front), did a new factory reset and left everything default. 2 days since and it's still working.
Will be back in a few days with updates.

I would like to hear how everyone of you dealt with this issue.
post #18 of 50 Old 02-21-2017, 07:01 AM

Well, it looks like this thread is dead. I will post my updates anyway, it could help someone else.

Since I disconnected my old JBL top front speakers the problem is gone. I see two possible explanations: faulty speakers causing this behavior / faulty Marantz top front outputs.

I'll be back in a few days with updates.
post #19 of 50 Old 02-26-2017, 04:19 PM

I have the same problem when source is the Verizon stb in multichannel. Reboots as suggested by marantz were useless. I haven't had it happen with blue ray or DVD that I can recall. Could be coincidence? Either way something's definitely not working the way it should. I find if I change the center Level via options or turn master volume up or down it corrects but can and does return.
post #20 of 50 Old 02-26-2017, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I was having what appears to be the same issue on my denon x4200w. Distorted audio out of the the center channel. I have had the hdmi board replaced twice, and now I am getting a replacement unit on Wednesday. What is strange is that the issue only occurs when Audyssey dynamic volume is enabled. Turn it off and the center channel is clear. It also seems to mostly affect Dolby audio processing, switching to dts decoding resolves it quite a bit. I did a direct audio recording of the same clip with Audyssey enabled and disabled, I'll upload to YouTube eventually, I'm curious to see if it's the same issue. My gut tells me it's a software issue, since replacing the processing board should have resolved, unless I had 3 bad boards in a row.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk
post #21 of 50 Old 02-27-2017, 05:12 PM

I have everything on manual and all the dynamic stuff turned off. My old harman kardon would drop audio completely when a two channel commercial came on. Would have to change source and the back to get it to work. I want to say it's software but if it
Was I would think there would be a ton of
People complaining. At the same time it
Seems replacing boards don't fix it either.
post #22 of 50 Old 02-28-2017, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by frongm View Post
I have everything on manual and all the dynamic stuff turned off. My old harman kardon would drop audio completely when a two channel commercial came on. Would have to change source and the back to get it to work. I want to say it's software but if it
Was I would think there would be a ton of
People complaining. At the same time it
Seems replacing boards don't fix it either.
People have sometimes complained about dropouts caused by changes in the format of the incoming audio in various receiver models. It seems like it might be related to the cable decoder, too. Check to see if you can force it to always output the same signal (e.g.stereo).

I have an el-cheapo (free to me) Cisco digital cable decoder which outputs only stereo, so I don't experience the problem. I reserve my high-quality multichannel listening to Blu-rays and audio discs. Or sometimes DLNA.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #23 of 50 Old 02-28-2017, 07:57 AM

I will try to take a look in the STB's menu to see what options i have.

Interesting thing last night while watching TV, the center drops out. I quickly hit the movie button on the remote where you can select, stereo, dolby, etc.. and stereo was selected even though I have it on dolby by default. I am really starting to think it has to do with the way the receiver deals with the incoming signal format. Sometimes it's able to handle the switching and sometimes not.
post #24 of 50 Old 02-28-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysworld View Post
My 7909 is currently at the service center for a similar issue.

When watching satellite tv, blu ray and or Netflix the volume "drops" off and sounds muffled and muted. However background noises such as explosions, airplanes, car engine noises come through fine. Only speech seems to be affected.
The right sound stage also crackles on/off.
Audyssey is setup on this unit.

The repair center has not been able to reproduce the issue and I'm hoping to point them in the right direction. It is a major headache to reinstall this receiver into the rack.
So my question is, since they replaced the hdmi board how has your 7909 been? Anymore issues with sound?
UPDATE
Didn't think anyone was still reading this post

The repair center found nothing wrong with the 7009 after three weeks of bench testing. After some coaxing and pointing them to this thread they replaced the main HDMI board and upgraded firmware.
After reconnecting and running Audyssey setup the 7009 was a new unit. The issues with low volume and drop offs with the front sound stage were gone.

Forward to present day February 2017
There are times when the right front speaker drops off completely or cuts on and off. In addition the volume drops to a low discernable level. Sounds like its muffled and muttered.
This issue occurs the most when watching satellite tv, for example the 11PM news on channel 4. Interestingly if I watch a program from the dvr I can rewind and the issue occurs at the same points every time.
There are also times where a popping sound can be heard as if the volume is trying to restore itself.
To rectify the issue I crank the volume up to the 60 db range and the sound returns.
No issues when watching blu ray or streaming from the Roku.

I've added a cooling fan that resides on top of the 7009.
One last thing I want to try is to turn off Dynamic Volume. The default is set to off and I enabled it during setup.

Last edited by billysworld; 03-01-2017 at 07:20 AM. Reason: typed on mobile
post #25 of 50 Old 03-01-2017, 08:26 AM

Hi guys,

I had a very similar sounding issue when setting up my TV and receiver last night. Basically, I want to use my smart TV for Netflix, YouTube, etc and route the sound beck to the receiver to play through my speakers. I setup the system using both optical cable from the TV and HDMI (utilizing ARC). In both cases, the foreground volume seemed super muted or quiet while the background was fine. This was very easy no notice when i played "Finding Dory" as there is a constant background ocean noise which was audible but you could barely hear the characters speaking.

Because it was happening for both cable formats I wondered if my TV was busted. Eventually I was playing in the TVs audio settings and noticed the Audio Output was set to Dolby Digital. I changed it to PCM and suddenly everything sounded correct!

I'm not an audio guy like all of you but I googled what the difference is and PCM is essentially raw data with no compression or encoding. Dolby Digital has encoding and compression. My receiver seemed to be receiving the Dolby signal and applying a filter to the dynamic range that drastically reduced the volume of a good portion of the range.

I hope this knowledge can help some of you guys out.

-Shawn
post #26 of 50 Old 03-02-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Well, it looks like this thread is dead. I will post my updates anyway, it could help someone else.

Since I disconnected my old JBL top front speakers the problem is gone. I see two possible explanations: faulty speakers causing this behavior / faulty Marantz top front outputs.

I'll be back in a few days with updates.
Update. Not a single fail since I unplugged the top front JBL's.

How many speakers are you using?
post #27 of 50 Old 03-02-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Update. Not a single fail since I unplugged the top front JBL's.

How many speakers are you using?
I think my issues with the front sound stage are from the directv receiver. Apparently there's an issue using dolby digital and connecting to an avr using hdmi.
The recommendation is to turn off dolby digital on the directv receiver and by default PCM is enabled. However PCM only outputs in stereo.

To answer your question, I have 8 speakers connected.

Last edited by billysworld; 03-02-2017 at 02:00 PM.
post #28 of 50 Old 03-03-2017, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysworld View Post
I think my issues with the front sound stage are from the directv receiver. Apparently there's an issue using dolby digital and connecting to an avr using hdmi.
The recommendation is to turn off dolby digital on the directv receiver and by default PCM is enabled. However PCM only outputs in stereo.

To answer your question, I have 8 speakers connected.
It looks like it is a problem with the Marantz decoder with some configurations. I recommend you to UNPLUGGING (no just disabling) any other speaker other than standard 5.1 and give it a try.
post #29 of 50 Old 03-03-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
It looks like it is a problem with the Marantz decoder with some configurations. I recommend you to UNPLUGGING (no just disabling) any other speaker other than standard 5.1 and give it a try.
Everything worked fine with the previous avr, Onkyo.
Upgraded to the Marantz after the Onkyo was recalled for the infamous hdmi board issue.
post #30 of 50 Old 03-06-2017, 12:49 PM

Watching a program that was on the dvr last night lost sound on right front stage. The left front stage sounded like it was clipping to compensate for the loss of audio.
When I checked the audio source for the recorded program it was set for PCM stereo.
Changed to a bluray, audio source was also PCM stereo. Again no sound from the right sound speaker. There was sound coming from the surround right speaker though.
Switched back to satellite tv and found a program with dolby digital output, the sound returned to the right front speaker.

All the speakers are Polk lsi rated at 8 ohms with the exception of the center channel which is rated at 4 ohms. Could the center channel be the cause of the audio dropout?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page