Upgrading from the Marantz SR7007..... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By GIEGAR

post #1 of 12 Old 12-26-2015, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Upgrading from the Marantz SR7007.....

I am thinking of upgrading my amp, was looking into the Pioneer SC-99. But before i spend 2500, is it a worthwhile upgrade? i listen to music and watch a mot of movies.
Currently i have a 7.1 set up but with the extra two speakers being front heights.
I have PSB Imagin T's for front, Rel T5 for sub and System Audio Saxo 1's for surrounds. I am using a Bluesound Vault 2 for my music and a Marantz UD7007 for blu rays.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-27-2015, 01:17 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4791
What is it about the avr that you're upgrading to to obtain?
post #3 of 12 Old 12-27-2015, 02:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 703 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22046 Post(s)
Liked: 11961
The newer Marantz SR7010 uses a 32 bit DAC as well as Audyssey MultEQ XT32 so in addition to providing Atmos 5.2.4 out of the box and 7.2.4 w/external 2CH amp, HDMI 2.0a(HDR), and HDCP 2.2, would also provide better audio quality than your SR7007.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...-s-thread.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-27-2015, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
What is it about the avr that you're upgrading to to obtain?
I think my setup would be better with the atmos setup, here is a pic of the room
that is an older pic, i do have new fronts and theyre spread apart further now but you can get an idea of what the setup placement would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The newer Marantz SR7010 uses a 32 bit DAC as well as Audyssey MultEQ XT32 so in addition to providing Atmos 5.2.4 out of the box and 7.2.4 w/external 2CH amp, HDMI 2.0a(HDR), and HDCP 2.2, would also provide better audio quality than your SR7007.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...-s-thread.html
hmm was thinking of switching from Marantz, read a lot of positive things about the Pioneer. Ill have a look into this Marantz though.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-27-2015, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by amairphoto View Post
I am thinking of upgrading my amp, was looking into the Pioneer SC-99. But before i spend 2500, is it a worthwhile upgrade? i listen to music and watch a mot of movies.
Currently i have a 7.1 set up but with the extra two speakers being front heights.
I have PSB Imagin T's for front, Rel T5 for sub and System Audio Saxo 1's for surrounds. I am using a Bluesound Vault 2 for my music and a Marantz UD7007 for blu rays.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Quote:
I think my setup would be better with the atmos setup, here is a pic of the room

that is an older pic, i do have new fronts and theyre spread apart further now but you can get an idea of what the setup placement would be.

hmm was thinking of switching from Marantz, read a lot of positive things about the Pioneer. Ill have a look into this Marantz though.
Amair, I think you need to forget about the electronics!

Looking at your pic, a much more worthwhile upgrade would be in the sub department. Paying some attention to the overall setup and a pair of high performance subs will make a far bigger improvement in your room than any $2500 AVR ever will. You should concentrate on optimising what you have now, before adding extra Atmos channels.

I'd also question whether there'd be any actual improvement to audio quality at all as a result of going from one perfectly good AVR to another.

Can you tell us what the approximate dimensions of your open space are (L x W x H)?

Do you also have the PSB Imagine C to go with the Imagine T's?
post #6 of 12 Old 12-27-2015, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Agreed. The space is large and the speakers don't appear to have large enough woofers to provide great sound. Good sound, yes. Great sound, no.

A 15" or 18" flat pack from Parts Express would add an incredible amount of detail that you may be missing now. You won't hear much better sound with a newer pre/ or receiver.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-27-2015, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Get sc99 from best buy and use post office best buy movers coupon to knock 10% down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 12 Old 12-27-2015, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
Amair, I think you need to forget about the electronics!

Looking at your pic, a much more worthwhile upgrade would be in the sub department. Paying some attention to the overall setup and a pair of high performance subs will make a far bigger improvement in your room than any $2500 AVR ever will. You should concentrate on optimising what you have now, before adding extra Atmos channels.

I'd also question whether there'd be any actual improvement to audio quality at all as a result of going from one perfectly good AVR to another.

Can you tell us what the approximate dimensions of your open space are (L x W x H)?

Do you also have the PSB Imagine C to go with the Imagine T's?
really appreciate the response here. Thats the thing, the bass right now, its just not as punchy and as defined as i would like. I originally had the System Audio Saxo 30s with the Rel T5 and just wasnt happy at all, got the PSB Imagine T's and it was a huge improvement, but its still not quite there. Thinking of it now it is the bass that just isnt amazing

I do need to get a new center channel for sure. Havent looked into the Imagine C's. I will definitely have a look. Especially when watching some movies im lacking in the center and have to pump up the center channel to +10.

The dimensions for my listening area are 17ft wide, 15th Length and 9ft height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonblue View Post
Agreed. The space is large and the speakers don't appear to have large enough woofers to provide great sound. Good sound, yes. Great sound, no.

A 15" or 18" flat pack from Parts Express would add an incredible amount of detail that you may be missing now. You won't hear much better sound with a newer pre/ or receiver.
You guys have definitely opened my eyes ion the sub issue.

Last edited by amairphoto; 12-27-2015 at 08:40 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-27-2015, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4791
Yes, I'd get better subwoofage to work with what you have now rather than Atmos. Your room looks very reflective, too so perhaps treatments are even more in order.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-28-2015, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

So im currently looking into the JL Audio E112
post #11 of 12 Old 01-10-2016, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 1675
Quote:
So im currently looking into the JL Audio E112
That's a superbly engineered high performance sub. How are your enquiries going with it? MSRP is $1900 I believe... is a dealer sharpening his pencil for a lower price?

Other sealed subs with similar performance and aesthetics (but larger cabinets) to have a look at:

Rythmik Audio F15HP

SVS SB13-Ultra

Hsu Research ULS-15 DualDrive (2 subs)
Excellent move to be looking closely at a high performance sub. I see (from the PSB thread?) that you've already got an Imagine C to go with the T's, so that's good stuff too. You certainly are a man of action!

BTW, is 17' X 15' X 9' the total volume of your open space or just the listening zone? From your pic it looks bigger than that, but I could be wrong. The reason I ask is that he sub interacts with the total volume of your open space when attempting to fill it with low bass, not just the listening zone/area we've assigned.
lovinthehd and amairphoto like this.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-10-2016, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
That's a superbly engineered high performance sub. How are your enquiries going with it? MSRP is $1900 I believe... is a dealer sharpening his pencil for a lower price?

Other sealed subs with similar performance and aesthetics (but larger cabinets) to have a look at:

Rythmik Audio F15HP

SVS SB13-Ultra

Hsu Research ULS-15 DualDrive (2 subs)
Excellent move to be looking closely at a high performance sub. I see (from the PSB thread?) that you've already got an Imagine C to go with the T's, so that's good stuff too. You certainly are a man of action!

BTW, is 17' X 15' X 9' the total volume of your open space or just the listening zone? From your pic it looks bigger than that, but I could be wrong. The reason I ask is that he sub interacts with the total volume of your open space when attempting to fill it with low bass, not just the listening zone/area we've assigned.
I am fighting myself right now not to purchase this sub ha. I want to. But I will wait until the end of January.

So here is the deal, i upgraded my center like a lot of people suggested on here and the sound difference there is phenomenal. The clarity is way better. Everything i buy now will be going in my movie theatre in October this year. So im not worrying too much about the size of my current room. Its just i have a spending habit and want to upgrade every once in a while. Its been a couple years. Always something as the wife would say.

But to answer your question that area you mentioned is my whole are, the listening zone is smaller. Im going to look into these subs you mentioned now and thanks again for your detailed response!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page