AVS Forum banner

Denon AVR-x2200w vs Onkyo TX-NR646

21K views 76 replies 20 participants last post by  diceman1000 
#1 ·
So I am in the market for a new AV receiver and these two fit my budget. I currently have a Denon 2311ci that just lacks some features and I am looking to start building my 4K setup so the 2311ci will be on eBay shortly. My room is 18x18 with 8' ceilings. I currently have a 5.1 setup consisting over front klipsch reference 5.3I believe and kilpsch dipole 4.3 in the rear with an rc10 center. I also have a rythmik 12 port sub. My 2311ci is rated for 130 watts x7. I am first concerned that the x2200 might be under powered. But I like the feature set tremendously. I do like to turn it up some but not over board when we watch movies. It is purely a tv/movie setup, no music. I am planning on adding some ceiling speakers as well for my sides. I am trying to keep my expenses for the receiver under 700. The denon is on sale for 599 and the Onkyo is the same. The Onkyo is rated for 5 watts more. Power isn't as my driving factor as much as sound quality, sorround quality and 4K. I sorround fields and fullness, imaging and so on are my main points. Back in the day when I bought my 2311 I had a pioneer 1123k I tested along side the 2311 as well as a Yamaha and the denon clearly had the better fuller sound, better imaging, better dialogue and better fuller bass. So the other went back. Let me know what you guys think. Or if I should consider something else. Dts X/atoms seems like it would be wise to have considering my speaker layout with the two side ceiling so I believe I should be looking at units that support it. Once again let me know. Hope I gave you guys enough info. Thanks.

See less See more
#57 ·
Purchased the Denon AVR 710W, X2200, and Onkyo NR-646. Here are thoughts of what may have already been mentioned. I owned and listened to each receiver for at least one week.

Denon Pros:
- Detailed clarity during movies.
- More available options: Eco mode, Audyssey, Dialog level adjust
- Better looking screen layout.

Denon Cons:
- Consistently lacked bass while watching movies. Although I made adjustments, I could not reproduce decent bass and thus the movie watching experience felt hollow.
- Volume needed to be turned up significantly.
- Speaker crossover could only be set in intervals of "20". ex: 40hz, 60hz

Onkyo Pros:
- Detailed clarity, bass, sounds were full and didn't lack anything.
- Volume levels were more consistent.
- Speaker crossover's could be set in intervals of "10". ex. 40hz, 50hz
- Ability to manually adjust treble, and bass.

Onkyo Cons:
- Lackluster screen layout, but manageable.
- Only 3, 2.2 HDMI compliant outputs.

Final Decision: I will be returning the Denon X2200 and re-purchasing the Onkyo 646. Should have stayed with the Onkyo but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything with the x2200.

#58 ·
Denon Cons:
- Consistently lacked bass while watching movies. Although I made adjustments, I could not reproduce decent bass and thus the movie watching experience felt hollow.
- Volume needed to be turned up significantly.
- Speaker crossover could only be set in intervals of "20". ex: 40hz, 60hz
1. Many owners find the bass to be a little weak after running Audyssey, which simply requires boosting the subwoofer level about 3-5db to suit one's preference.
2. Speaker crossovers vary from 10db to 50db depending on where the crossover is situated. The general recommendation after running Audyssey is to raise any crossover set to 40Hz or 60Hz up to 80Hz to let the subwoofer handle the lower end and any crossover set >80Hz leave alone.

#62 ·
I am glad I came across this thread. I am looking to upgrade from an Onkyo TX-SR609 that has been a solid performer since I bought it about 5 years ago. I was looking at both models today at Fry's. The Denon is on sale for $398 and the Onkyo is $425. I have typically used Onkyo receivers, starting with a TX-SR800 over 10 years ago. The Fry's rep felt the Onkyo was a better receiver but really couldn't tell me why other than stating that the Onkyo was more powerful. I don't think the power output will make that much of a difference as was previously stated in the thread. The sale lasts for a couple of more days. Unfortunately, I don't have the ability time-wise to do an extended test with both units.

With price basically the same for both units, from what I have read, the Denon seems to be a strong candidate at this point.

The receiver is in our media room with moderate use (10-20 hours/week) only for movies and TV - no music. I use an ATV4, Tivo Mini, Roku 3, and a Blu-Ray player all via HDMI feeding a ViewSonic Pro8200.

It appears that the big difference is Audyssey on the Denon.

Any other items to consider between the two models?

#63 ·
I have heard several people mention smaller punch of the Denon bass, both review sites and posts in the forums. Since the sub has it's own amp, can't you just turn up the volume on the sub? I'm assuming that the signal the Denon is sending the sub is fine, just not high enough. So if that is the only real flaw, then turn up the sub and be done with it. Am I missing something?

My X2200 is getting shipped next week, so just curious.

#65 ·
So i got JBL nightlife surround sound system.

I need an amp, my 3 options are:
Onkyo nr-tx646 540$ +60$ canadian 4 yearsbestbuy geeksquad waranty

Denon x2200 or s910w 540$ canadian Manufacture Waranty

Im only going to watch movies and tv.not music.

I read many reviews online where Denon lacks in the BASS department which is huge for me but the sound clarity is awesome and the video upscaling is a huge difference.

Onkyo I read reliability issues (why the 4 year waranty from.best buy would be peace of mind). But The Bass is awesome on this one from what I read and sound but cheap interface.

The bass on the denon is low after the Audessy calibration but why cant you raise the bass since it has its own amp? To bring it to the same level as Onkyo?.

which would be recommebded and yes im a newbie.

#71 ·
Not sure where you're getting your numbers from, but both the S910 and X2200 are rated 95 watts. The X2200 has been on sale for maybe 2 weeks or so to clear out stock for the 2016 model. Previously it was $220 more than the S910. Why none of the other 2015 models are on sale yet I have no idea. I bought an S910 last month, but then returned it for an X2200, when it went on sale.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.