Dolby Vision in Receivers? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #31 of 61 Old 05-25-2016, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferga100 View Post
CBdicX how do i slave power fans on onkyo av ? what power strip did you use as

i cant get compatible one ?
I use a "Master / Slave" power strip.
The Master will be the receiver, the Slave is the adaptor for the fans and other devices.
I use fans that have a 3-6 volt startup and they will run on a low rpm, so you will not hear them but still they will move warm air out the receiver.

This way when you turn on the receiver, the fans will also start
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 61 Old 12-21-2016, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Is there anyone who is able to update this thread? The original question was whether current HDMI/HDCP versions will support pass through of Dolby Vision? That is the question I'd like to see answered.

As the discussion ended last year, the thought was that in pass thru mode, a receiver could pass DV on the HDMI stream. Any update?

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #33 of 61 Old 12-21-2016, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
Is there anyone who is able to update this thread? The original question was whether current HDMI/HDCP versions will support pass through of Dolby Vision? That is the question I'd like to see answered.

As the discussion ended last year, the thought was that in pass thru mode, a receiver could pass DV on the HDMI stream. Any update?

Well, anyone who has the new ChromeCast Ultra coupled with a current receiver and DV display should be able to answer this finally.

Vizio P75, Denon AVR-X6300H, OPPO 203, Paradigm Studio Atmos setup, dual subs
Sony 65X900F, Denon X940H, Paradigm 5.1.2 setup with single sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 61 Old 12-27-2016, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What I haven't seen discussed here is an AVR with a DV decoder. Suppose you have a DV-encoded source driving a TV that is strictly HDR 10-capable. Seems like dropping an AVR in between the two with the AVR decoding the DV signal, and then converting it to an HDR signal compatible with the TV would be desirable. If the source were to be HDR 10 then the AVR could pass it through to the HDR 10 TV. This approach would alleviate a lot of the HDR compatibility concerns until the dust settles on the HDR format battlefront.

Am I missing something?
post #35 of 61 Old 12-27-2016, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksh977 View Post
What I haven't seen discussed here is an AVR with a DV decoder. Suppose you have a DV-encoded source driving a TV that is strictly HDR 10-capable. Seems like dropping an AVR in between the two with the AVR decoding the DV signal, and then converting it to an HDR signal compatible with the TV would be desirable. If the source were to be HDR 10 then the AVR could pass it through to the HDR 10 TV. This approach would alleviate a lot of the HDR compatibility concerns until the dust settles on the HDR format battlefront.

Am I missing something?
At least UHD Blue Ray discs has to have HDR-10 if it has any HDR (like DV), but that leaves out the various mediaplayers/apps that does not have this requirement.

A DV decoder/encoder would probably be required if one want to see the receiver OSD/GUI overlay as DV needs DV hardware support at both source and display.
HockeyoAJB likes this.

Last edited by Trell; 12-27-2016 at 12:35 PM.
post #36 of 61 Old 12-29-2016, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:

Am I missing something?
Given the choice, I'd rather watch the HDR10 grade of a particular title than rely on a consumer electronic device to convert DV content to an HDR10-compatible video stream. When the conversion is made, any benefit that was present in the DV version over the HDR10 version would be lost. Any time you rely on a consumer electronic device to use a predetermined set of algorithms to convert content from one level of quality to a different one, you are potentially deviating from the artist's intent. I'm not against these types of features when there is a clear benefit (e.g. SD->HD and HD->UHD upscaling), but I'm not sure that there would be any benefit, in this case, other than allowing someone to watch content that is only available in DV on a display that doesn't support DV. Given the present lack of DV-compatible source devices and content, I think it will be a while before this feature would be deemed worth the cost to implement for AVR manufacturers.
post #37 of 61 Old 12-29-2016, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyoAJB View Post
Given the choice, I'd rather watch the HDR10 grade of a particular title than rely on a consumer electronic device to convert DV content to an HDR10-compatible video stream. When the conversion is made, any benefit that was present in the DV version over the HDR10 version would be lost. Any time you rely on a consumer electronic device to use a predetermined set of algorithms to convert content from one level of quality to a different one, you are potentially deviating from the artist's intent. I'm not against these types of features when there is a clear benefit (e.g. SD->HD and HD->UHD upscaling), but I'm not sure that there would be any benefit, in this case, other than allowing someone to watch content that is only available in DV on a display that doesn't support DV. Given the present lack of DV-compatible source devices and content, I think it will be a while before this feature would be deemed worth the cost to implement for AVR manufacturers.
Regarding the portion of your comment in bold font, suppose the DV standard were to take off resulting in retirement of the HDR-10 standard ala Betamax and HD DVD. This would leave some unable to play HDR content on their TVs. I don't know, perhaps my suggested solution isn't technically feasible.
post #38 of 61 Old 12-30-2016, 04:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Regarding the portion of your comment in bold font, suppose the DV standard were to take off resulting in retirement of the HDR-10 standard ala Betamax and HD DVD. This would leave some unable to play HDR content on their TVs. I don't know, perhaps my suggested solution isn't technically feasible.
If DV were to take over as the dominant HDR format and HDR10 were to go by the wayside then you might start to see DV->HDR10 conversion added as a feature in future source devices and perhaps even AVR's. At this point, adding such a feature would be akin to adding Dolby Atmos->Auro 3D conversion, in Blu-Ray players, for those people who purchase an AVR that supports Auro 3D, but not Atmos.
post #39 of 61 Old 01-30-2017, 10:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 45
This is what Anthem technical support said about passing thru DV.

The MRX will pass through the HDR signal but not Dolby Vision.
For Dolby Vision you will require a disc/player/receiver and TV to all support dolby vision.

Very limited units currently support the dolby vision platform.

The link below should help:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...by-vision.html

So not sure if the previous assumptions that a 4k ready receiver can pass DV to a tv is true? Perhaps like previously suggested, someone could connect a Roku to the receiver and check.

I have sent this question to the link in the response.

Phil Tomaskovic

Last edited by Phil Tomaskovic; 01-30-2017 at 11:08 PM.
post #40 of 61 Old 01-31-2017, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anthem DV

I received the following response from Anthem regarding DV support in the AVM 60:

At this time we have not been able to confirm if Dolby Vision will be supported. We hope that it will be but it isn’t something I can confirm for you at this time.

LG, Sony, Netflix, AMAZON, VUDU, VIZIO and Oppo have announced support for DV.

I think the fact that big companies are jumping on board with DV says a lot about the future of DV. I will not purchase a pre/pro or AVR that does note support DV.
I'm updating my entire system and want the latest technology and from what I have read Dolby Vision is a significant new feature. I thought Anthem had the best PRE/PRO and AVRs, but without Dolby Vision, I'm going to wait and see.
post #41 of 61 Old 02-02-2017, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 2673
Yesterday, someone noticed a German article covering a press release about Denon and Marantz releasing a firmware to allow Dolby Vision pass through.

https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meld...e-3614979.html

Then tonight I see an article on Sound and Vision talking about DV compatibility for receivers, seemingly explaining the problems people are having with Chromecast Ultras connected to receivers.

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...ion-compatible

Quote:
Having said all that, when I ran your question by Dolby, here’s the answer I received: “Dolby Vision can technically be routed through any equipment starting at v1.4.b and above, however, the device needs to be aware of the kind of signal properties that differentiate Dolby Vision from a standard SDR signal. To this effect, we have issued a compatibility SDK that several manufacturers have already used to obtain pass-through compatibility on upcoming products. Compatibility on existing products is something that could possibly achieved as well, but is of course at the discretion of each manufacturer/OEM.”
post #42 of 61 Old 03-29-2017, 12:27 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Stalking this thread. Has anyone confirmed if DV content will play properly when passed through a receiver? Hoping to get the about to be released LG UP970 and pass through my receiver.

I noticed on Marantz's UK site it indicated the 2017 models will receive a firmware update to allow DV pass through. Hope I didn't make a mistake by purchasing last years SR6010 model...

If anyone with a Chromecast could confirm, we would all appreciate it.
post #43 of 61 Old 03-29-2017, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 2099 Post(s)
Liked: 2945
Surely, everyone has seen Mark Henninger's announcements....

https://www.avsforum.com/denon-s-seri...sion-unveiled/

https://www.avsforum.com/yamaha-annou...-dolby-vision/

https://www.avsforum.com/onkyo-announ...e-2016-models/

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 03-29-2017 at 12:43 PM.
post #44 of 61 Old 03-29-2017, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick7108514 View Post
Stalking this thread. Has anyone confirmed if DV content will play properly when passed through a receiver? Hoping to get the about to be released LG UP970 and pass through my receiver.

I noticed on Marantz's UK site it indicated the 2017 models will receive a firmware update to allow DV pass through. Hope I didn't make a mistake by purchasing last years SR6010 model...

Hate to say it but you made a mistake and will not get Dolby Vision passthrough. I made a bigger mistake and spent close to $4000 on a Marantz 8802a and will most likely not get the update either. Feel better with the fact that you did not make as big of mistake as i did. What really annoys me its that all of the sales guys who live on this forum and stated it will work without the correct info and cost me and many other a lot of money.
Brandon B likes this.
post #45 of 61 Old 03-29-2017, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 2099 Post(s)
Liked: 2945
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
Hate to say it but you made a mistake and will not get Dolby Vision passthrough. I made a bigger mistake and spent close to $4000 on a Marantz 8802a and will most likely not get the update either. Feel better with the fact that you did not make as big of mistake as i did. What really annoys me its that all of the sales guys who live on this forum and stated it will work without the correct info and cost me and many other a lot of money.
In years past, I too have spent $4000 and more on flagship AVRs/Pre-Pros and sooner rather than later sold them at a fraction of their original costs. I now have a $300 Onkyo 636 doing temporary processing duties while awaiting 2017 flagship AVRs or possibly the likes of an 880X....or on second thought...should I. Your frustration/disappointment/argument gives a lot of credibility to buying $500 AVRs every couple of years and be content with being just a bit behind the technology curve. Obviously, the alternative is to continue living on the bleeding edge and pushing the disposable income/budget envelope. I guess if you're a frequent visitor to these threads, we're heavily influenced toward the latter type!

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
post #46 of 61 Old 03-29-2017, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 2673
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick7108514 View Post

You must be referring to this Q&A from Marantz about the eventual firmware updates. It seems your receiver is not on the list, which is unfortunate.

If you look in the Chromecast Ultra thread, you'll see no one has ever had luck passing DV through a receiver. It only works when connected directly to the display.

But there is one silver lining. If you only need it for the LG UP970, it has dual HDMI outputs. One for DV to hook up directly to the display, the other for lossless/bitstream audio to the receiver.
post #47 of 61 Old 03-29-2017, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Thanks for the info. Sucks we all bought "HDR capable" receivers under the guise they would support both HDR10 and DV and they don't.
post #48 of 61 Old 04-03-2017, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 5
So is the problem not that the technology doesn't support it, but rather than the AVR makers aren't passing on the TV's DV EDID to the DV device on the other end? And if that's the case, I wonder if you could use an EDID emulator to "fool" the device into thinking DV is supported?
post #49 of 61 Old 05-04-2017, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
It seems Denon will release a firmware update for new line of A/V receivers to support Dolby vision. I have Denon AVR-X7200WA and unfortunately this will not get an update even though it is still assumed as a flagship model.

But the good news is that if you want to playback 4K video with Dolby Vision you would probably go with Oppo UDP-203 of 205 which have two HDMI outs. So, even if your receiver does not support Dolby Vision you can still pass the video signal directly to your TV and pass only audio to your receiver.
post #50 of 61 Old 05-04-2017, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Quoted: 7963 Post(s)
Liked: 10352
Quote:
Dolby Vision for home theater didn't even exist until recently. Even us " sales guys " can't know about things that don't yet exist. Also, if you have a video projector like I do, Dolby Vision doesn't exist, and may or may not ever be included on future projectors. Ever. So my X7200WA can't do DV, but neither will my projector. I'll tell you though - the new dynamic range slider firmware upgrade in the Panasonic UB900 works so well, I don't particularly care at this point.

The manufacturers don't tell us " sales guys " anything anyway. They want you to buy gear, and then think it's obsolete so you buy it again. Is Dolby Vision really that great ? I haven't seen a lot of actual reviews, and there isn't any DV 4K Blu-ray content out - yet.

http://www.techradar.com/news/heres-...n-blu-ray-disc

So I'll reserve judgement until it's out. Might just sound great in theory but not actually be that great in reality - who knows.

Last edited by Craig Peer; 05-04-2017 at 11:42 AM.
post #51 of 61 Old 05-04-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by variableresults View Post
So is the problem not that the technology doesn't support it, but rather than the AVR makers aren't passing on the TV's DV EDID to the DV device on the other end? And if that's the case, I wonder if you could use an EDID emulator to "fool" the device into thinking DV is supported?
Dolby Vision only works by knowing exactly how bright the display is - so it does no good to " fool " a non DV display. Might as well use HDR10 on the 4K Blu-ray in that case.
post #52 of 61 Old 05-04-2017, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Dolby Vision for home theater didn't even exist until recently. Even us " sales guys " can't know about things that don't yet exist. Also, if you have a video projector like I do, Dolby Vision doesn't exist, and may or may not ever be included on future projectors. Ever. So my X7200WA can't do DV, but neither will my projector. I'll tell you though - the new dynamic range slider firmware upgrade in the Panasonic UB900 works so well, I don't particularly care at this point.

The manufacturers don't tell us " sales guys " anything anyway. They want you to buy gear, and then think it's obsolete so you buy it again. Is Dolby Vision really that great ? I haven't seen a lot of actual reviews, and there isn't any DV 4K Blu-ray content out - yet.

http://www.techradar.com/news/heres-...n-blu-ray-disc

So I'll reserve judgement until it's out. Might just sound great in theory but not actually be that great in reality - who knows.
Not all sales people are full on BS and talk just sell something, let me add I am a retired salesperson myself I sold medical equipment in and outside of the OR for 22 years. It is people like this guy in this YouTube video, I attached the link (
) that cause consumers to spend money without valid info. It is okay for a salesperson or someone who is considered an expert to say " I do not know let me find out the answer and get back to you".
post #53 of 61 Old 05-04-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Not all sales people are full on BS and talk just sell something, let me add I am a retired salesperson myself I sold medical equipment in and outside of the OR for 22 years. It is people like this guy in this YouTube video, I attached the link (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FU-K8aU3XI4) that cause consumers to spend money without valid info. It is okay for a salesperson or someone who is considered an expert to say " I do not know let me find out the answer and get back to you".
Sure - I've said that myself more than once. And not one person asked me about Dolby Vision compatibility before buying an Marantz 8802a or a Denon X7200WA. Why ? Because it didn't exist for home theater when they first came out. Nor when I bought mine, I might add. But once again, I have a projector, which isn't DV compatible anyway, so for me, it's a moot point.
post #54 of 61 Old 05-04-2017, 03:14 PM

This is interesting - from High Def Digest's Facebook page - Shannon Nutt " My TV does both. I can't tell the difference between them visually ".

https://www.facebook.com/highdefdige...WSFEED&fref=nf
post #55 of 61 Old 05-23-2017, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 63
What is the deal with Dolby Vision recievers?

New receivers are advertising they are Dolby Vision capable. Why is this needed? Can the older ones that meet the HDMI spec not pass with DV signal? I am going to need a new receiver sooner than later and was planning on getting a generation old so I could afford a 9 channel model. Is it something that is truly needed to use DV or just a marketing gimmick? Yes, I do have a DV display and player.
post #56 of 61 Old 05-23-2017, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Of the two(?) Hdr formats I believe Dolby vision is the one that requires hardware to work or even pass through.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #57 of 61 Old 05-23-2017, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 877
What is the deal with Dolby Vision recievers?

As an alternative; you can pass the video directly to TV display & audio to your AVR if you buy a 4K Bluray player; most have 2 HDMI Outputs

Primary set-up 5.2.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 522NC 2 channel amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; 2 Outlaw X12 Subs & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
post #58 of 61 Old 05-23-2017, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2444 Post(s)
Liked: 3238
According to these two articles, HDCP 2.2 (and thereby HDMI 2.0a) are required. And it sounds like the AVR manufacturer needs to specifically provide firmware to pass through Dolby Vision.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...ion-compatible

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.ph...&id=1472208035
post #59 of 61 Old 05-23-2017, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked: 2171
An Anthem rep. I spoke with a few weeks back indicated that Anthem's aim was to release a firmware update to pass DV on the current AVM60 perhaps this summer. Assume this would translate to the MRX series as well, but we were specifically discussing the AVM60, so not sure....

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #60 of 61 Old 05-24-2017, 01:44 AM

Mentioned: 822 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24162 Post(s)
Liked: 13352
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
New receivers are advertising they are Dolby Vision capable. Why is this needed? Can the older ones that meet the HDMI spec not pass with DV signal? I am going to need a new receiver sooner than later and was planning on getting a generation old so I could afford a 9 channel model. Is it something that is truly needed to use DV or just a marketing gimmick? Yes, I do have a DV display and player.
Correct, 2016 and older models cannot currently pass DV. Only some of the new 2017 models being released now and later this year will be able to pass Dolby Vision encoded video out-of-the-box (while others will get a firmware update), while most major brand mfr's have indicated they will provide a firmware update for some of their 2016 models by year's end to be able to pass Dolby Vision video. It's a safe bet that as a 9CH model is an upper level model, regardless of the brand you purchase, it will be getting a DV firmware update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page