Help - ARC between new Denon AVR-X2200W and Sony XBR 65X850C not working! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-03-2016, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help - ARC between new Denon AVR-X2200W and Sony XBR 65X850C not working!

I have a brand new Denon AVR X2200W that I bought to replace my Marantz SR5003. Goal was to support 4k as well as enable ARC from my new Sony XBR-65X850C in order to leverage the apps on the TV, especially Amazon TV and Netflix.
I have tried all the setting I could find on both devices but no luck...
I am using an Audioquest Forest to connect both units.
I have tried both Amazon and Netflix but no sound on the speakers connected to the receiver.

The rest of the audio works fine and I can listen to all sound from various sources via the receiver except when originating from the TV.
Unfortunately, I dont have the option of running a Coax or Digital cable from the TV to the receiver as everything in inside the walls and with very limited access.

Thanks for any help figuring out how to make it work.

Note: My whole system is part of a Control4 install. The only reason I mention this is that I don't want to activate any other HDMI feature (such as CEC for ex.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-03-2016, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 751 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22773 Post(s)
Liked: 12419
You must enable HDMI-CEC on both the TV and the AVR for HDMI(ARC) to work, otherwise, only other option is connecting an optical cable from the TV --> AVR.

Review posts 3-6 in the 2015 Denon AVR Owner's thread for more helpful information on your new X2200W.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post34728921
post #3 of 6 Old 01-04-2016, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you JD. Very helpful and fixed my issue!
I will review the post in more details as it is an absolute gold mine.
However, I am still struggling with one issue and I am wondering if I am the only one.
Everything works fine now except I can't get my Sony RDP-S5500 blu ray player to work. It is connected like other sources and strangely enough, I can "watch" discs. But when player is on standby or when I try to access the player menu, I get a black screen with a big white/snow recangle and nothing else. My TV seems to indicate that it is a 2880x1080/60Hz signal.
I tried other ports on receiver and same problem. I replaced the player by a Samsung player and no problem.
I connected the Sony player to the TV direct (Sony TV) and all fine!

It is only when the blu Ray Sony player is connected to Denon receiver. I have called both Sony and Denon today and we tried multiple settings with no luck! And the typical, not me but them :-) Sony is shipping me a replacement player but I doubt it will solve the problem. I will also try another HDMI cable. I already did but same issue. Maybe another brand/type - recommendation?

I have tried to solve this issue for hours and I am running out of ideas... Thanks a lot in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-04-2016, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2850
The BDP-S5500 does not include 4K upscaling, so it seems that something is causing the receiver to try to do that.

Settings to change in the player:
1. enable "Original Resolution" in the Sony player (not the default. Turn it on permanently)
2. disable "Deep Color" in the Sony player (not the default. Turn it Off permanently)
3. set YCbCr/RGB to YCbCr (4:2:2) (not the default. Turn it on permanently)

Settings to try in the receiver:
1. disable the i/p scaler in the Denon receiver. If that doesn't help...
2. enable the i/p scaler in the Denon receiver. Set the Resolution to 1080p

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #5 of 6 Old 01-05-2016, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Selden Ball,

You are a rock star! It worked just fine...
I wasted yesterday 2 hours with an absolutely useless Sony customer support and one hour with a slightly less useless Denon support.
Sony had asked me to return the unit but that itself is a story :-)

It looks like it is a bug on either the Denon AVR or the Sony player. Is there a way to report it to them so that they can address in the next firmware upgrade? I suspect I won't be the last one to have this issue...

Also, am I "losing" anything changing those settings? I upgraded TV, receiver and Blu Ray to try to leverage recent developments in 4K and HDR. Would be nice not to "downgrade" too much :-)

Thank you very much again for suggesting those changes. I was losing my mind!!!
post #6 of 6 Old 01-05-2016, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by istreich View Post
Selden Ball,

You are a rock star! It worked just fine...
Which?
Quote:
I wasted yesterday 2 hours with an absolutely useless Sony customer support and one hour with a slightly less useless Denon support.
Sony had asked me to return the unit but that itself is a story :-)

It looks like it is a bug on either the Denon AVR or the Sony player. Is there a way to report it to them so that they can address in the next firmware upgrade? I suspect I won't be the last one to have this issue...
The only way I know is to contact service reps at both companies and tell them what worked, asking that they include it in the trouble-ticket's log. If enough people do it, then eventually it'll get to the engineers who are responsible for firmware updates and future designs.

Quote:
Also, am I "losing" anything changing those settings? I upgraded TV, receiver and Blu Ray to try to leverage recent developments in 4K and HDR. Would be nice not to "downgrade" too much :-)
The BDP settings don't cause any losses, if that's what you mean. Whatever is on the disc is still being sent through to the display, and the display does whatever upscaling is needed to show the image to you.

1) "Original resolution" causes the player to pass through the video signal from the disc (and its internal GUI) without trying to rescale it to whatever "better" resolution it thinks the display device can handle. It could be that the BDP is somehow getting incorrect information about the display's capabilities. Just passing through the original signal is fine since the display is designed to be able to do whatever rescaling is appropriate.
2) No commercial BD includes more than 8 bits per color channel. Rescaling color depth in the player is not necessary and is known to cause problems for some AVRs. If the display actually has 10 or 12 bit hardware, it is designed to rescale the color depth if you configure it to do so.
3) The video signal coming off the disc is 4:2:0. Given that, I've never understood why HDMI requires it to be rescaled to 4:2:2 or higher. Still, displays are designed to rescale whatever color resolution they receive to match the capabilities of their LCD (or OLED) panels.

Each of the settings I suggested minimizes the bitrate sent from the player through the receiver to the display. Minimizing that bitrate helps to minimize the distortions introduced by the HDMI cabling and intermediate circuits. That helps to improve the relative quality of the signal received by the display, which can only help.

In a few cases, the scalers in quality BDPs or AVRs are slightly better than those in early inexpensive display devices, but that's usually not the case with modern TVs. Let the TVs do the work.

Quote:
Thank you very much again for suggesting those changes. I was losing my mind!!!
You're very welcome. I'm glad to have been able to help. The changes in the settings were all just hopeful guesses on my part. Now I'm guessing that it was the sum of all three that fixed the problem.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
audio return channel , Denon , denon 2200w , hdmi , X850c

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page