Denon AVR-X2200W and Xbox One Dimming problem - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-10-2016, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Denon AVR-X2200W and Xbox One Dimming problem

As you guys know I have been testing between a Denon AVR-X2200W and an Onkyo 747. One of them is slated to replace me 5 year old Denon 2311CI. My TV, Speakers, Cabling, Sub, and so on have not changed in this environment. So yesterday evening I discovered a major problem!! After hours of testing with both the 747 and the 2200W and issue came up with dimming. I saw it one before last week when my son was playing NHL 15 where the screen would just randomly dim 50% and stay that way. I could switch between sources to get to come out but it would only last temporarily. The other sources would not do this...just the xbox one and the xbox one would only do it with the 2200W...not with the 747 or the 2311CI. So this is strange!!! For example, I was playing the matrix revolution last night and when a scene switches to a dark area the screen dims 50% and stays there. If I unplug and replug in the HDMI while it is still going it will go back to full but will not stay. Sometimes for 1 minute sometimes for 3-4 but wham, if would go dim again. So I hooked up the 747 again as well as the 2311...doesnt do this with either of them, which rules out the xbox one as the problem! I can duplicate the issues every time and it doesnt just happen with the matrix, when my sons started a game of NHL 15 it did it as well. It did not do it with any of the star wars, Avengers, Battleship, Star Trek and a number of others. Once again, I can get the dimming issues to go away If I switch from the blu-ray source to the CBL/SAT it is back to normal but doesnt stay. CBL/SAT source (which is my comcast DVR) has never exhibited this! I believe to either have a bad unit or denon has a problem on their hands here! Once again I cannot tell you how much I like the sound better on the Denon and the video quality was better as well than the 747. But this is a major problem. Some background and why I believe this is pointing to the new denon is this. I have had the Xbox One hooked up to my old Denon 2311Ci for over a year, it has seen 100s of Blu-ray movies and a number of games with not a single issue. All the cabling is the same (Xbox came with its own 4k xbox ready one cable) so It is not a cabling issues not to mention it does NOT exhibit this with the 747 either. My trouble shooting has been power cycling on the xbox one, power cycle on the denon. I have tried different HDMIs on the X2200W as well. Still the same dimming issues happens. I have scoured google for this issue with no avail. Many years ago there was some mention with the Xbox 360 but the issue was not the same. It only does this with the xbox one and 2200W combination. I might grab another blu-ray player to see if that is the case. Either I have a defective x2200w or this is a design issue. Either way it really breaks my heart!! Its a sad day! I am within the 30 day period with denon so it might go back!! It sad because I love the sound on this unit. It has far exceeded the 747 and the 2311CI!! I am extremely impressed. I do not know if this is related to the video processing on the denon or not. I have went into the setting and disabled a number of things with once again, no avail! I dont know what else to troubleshoot for I dont believe I have left any stone unturned!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-10-2016, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapboxpreacher View Post
As you guys know I have been testing between a Denon AVR-X2200W and an Onkyo 747. One of them is slated to replace me 5 year old Denon 2311CI. My TV, Speakers, Cabling, Sub, and so on have not changed in this environment. So yesterday evening I discovered a major problem!! After hours of testing with both the 747 and the 2200W and issue came up with dimming. I saw it one before last week when my son was playing NHL 15 where the screen would just randomly dim 50% and stay that way. I could switch between sources to get to come out but it would only last temporarily. The other sources would not do this...just the xbox one and the xbox one would only do it with the 2200W...not with the 747 or the 2311CI. So this is strange!!! For example, I was playing the matrix revolution last night and when a scene switches to a dark area the screen dims 50% and stays there. If I unplug and replug in the HDMI while it is still going it will go back to full but will not stay. Sometimes for 1 minute sometimes for 3-4 but wham, if would go dim again. So I hooked up the 747 again as well as the 2311...doesnt do this with either of them, which rules out the xbox one as the problem! I can duplicate the issues every time and it doesnt just happen with the matrix, when my sons started a game of NHL 15 it did it as well. It did not do it with any of the star wars, Avengers, Battleship, Star Trek and a number of others. Once again, I can get the dimming issues to go away If I switch from the blu-ray source to the CBL/SAT it is back to normal but doesnt stay. CBL/SAT source (which is my comcast DVR) has never exhibited this! I believe to either have a bad unit or denon has a problem on their hands here! Once again I cannot tell you how much I like the sound better on the Denon and the video quality was better as well than the 747. But this is a major problem. Some background and why I believe this is pointing to the new denon is this. I have had the Xbox One hooked up to my old Denon 2311Ci for over a year, it has seen 100s of Blu-ray movies and a number of games with not a single issue. All the cabling is the same (Xbox came with its own 4k xbox ready one cable) so It is not a cabling issues not to mention it does NOT exhibit this with the 747 either. My trouble shooting has been power cycling on the xbox one, power cycle on the denon. I have tried different HDMIs on the X2200W as well. Still the same dimming issues happens. I have scoured google for this issue with no avail. Many years ago there was some mention with the Xbox 360 but the issue was not the same. It only does this with the xbox one and 2200W combination. I might grab another blu-ray player to see if that is the case. Either I have a defective x2200w or this is a design issue. Either way it really breaks my heart!! Its a sad day! I am within the 30 day period with denon so it might go back!! It sad because I love the sound on this unit. It has far exceeded the 747 and the 2311CI!! I am extremely impressed. I do not know if this is related to the video processing on the denon or not. I have went into the setting and disabled a number of things with once again, no avail! I dont know what else to troubleshoot for I dont believe I have left any stone unturned!
While I admit I skimmed this post I can personally say I had the X2200W for about 6 months (just upgraded to the 4200) and did not see any of the issues you are describing. I would think if it's the receiver it would be seen on other sources as well and not just the xbox one. I do have an issue now with my FIOS box and the 4200 where as the audio drops out for a quick sec (audio only) and does not happen with other sources. Just as yourself I have tried different HDMI cables and still can't figure out why it happens with FIOS only.

Den - LG 65 OLEDE7P - Denon AVR-X4200W - Definitive Mythos STS - ProCenter 2000 - SR-8040BP - SVS Ultra-13 - DTV 4K - XBOX One S
Media - LG 65 OLEDC8 - AVR-X4400 - KFL28F - Vienna Acoustics Center - Def GEMS Rear - Def A60 Atmos - Monitor Silver SUB - DTV 4K - XBOX One X
My YouTube Tech Channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/TechFan
post #3 of 14 Old 01-10-2016, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

I brought up my Onkyo TX-NR626 and tested it as well all the same cables, movies etc...no issues. The funny thing is for kicks I decided to do a room calibration. That old 626 still has audyssey and it nailed my room perfectly as well as my speakers. That cheap little receiver pegged to speakers and the sub setting perfectly! Moreover that implementation of audyssey is one of the best I have seen yet. Including the new X2200W. Didnt mean to stray off topic for what brought me to this was I was comparing the 747 to the denon X2200W and I preferred the the X2200W significantly over the 747. Until of course this happened. But I am confident that it is an isolated incident and will give the denon or even its marantz counter part another shot. But believe it or now the audyssey on the X2200W is inferior to my old 626. I am shocked not to mention the 626 has the Qdeo 4K upscaler. It is a cheap little hidden gem! Sound is much better then I anticipated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 01-10-2016, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Is ECO mode turned on?

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-10-2016, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
Is ECO mode turned on?
Yeah, first think I checked.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-10-2016, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
I brought up my Onkyo TX-NR626 and tested it as well all the same cables, movies etc...no issues. The funny thing is for kicks I decided to do a room calibration. That old 626 still has audyssey and it nailed my room perfectly as well as my speakers. That cheap little receiver pegged to speakers and the sub setting perfectly! Moreover that implementation of audyssey is one of the best I have seen yet. Including the new X2200W. Didnt mean to stray off topic for what brought me to this was I was comparing the 747 to the denon X2200W and I preferred the the X2200W significantly over the 747. Until of course this happened. But I am confident that it is an isolated incident and will give the denon or even its marantz counter part another shot. But believe it or now the audyssey on the X2200W is inferior to my old 626. I am shocked not to mention the 626 has the Qdeo 4K upscaler. It is a cheap little hidden gem! Sound is much better then I anticipated!
Not surprising at all. I knew the Audyssey on the X2200 was inferior to the version on the 809 from the start.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
AVR: Denon X2200W
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 4
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
post #7 of 14 Old 01-12-2016, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like it is an isolated issues...I believe mine is defective. Denon has not been able to recreate my issue. However they have not tried the same material yet either. I am waiting to hear back. A little slow to respond so far.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-13-2016, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 535
Quote:
Looks like it is an isolated issues...I believe mine is defective. Denon has not been able to recreate my issue. However they have not tried the same material yet either. I am waiting to hear back. A little slow to respond so far.
Agreed that it's odd but if it's only on one source it's usually not a defect on the receiver but who knows. See what denon comes back with.

Den - LG 65 OLEDE7P - Denon AVR-X4200W - Definitive Mythos STS - ProCenter 2000 - SR-8040BP - SVS Ultra-13 - DTV 4K - XBOX One S
Media - LG 65 OLEDC8 - AVR-X4400 - KFL28F - Vienna Acoustics Center - Def GEMS Rear - Def A60 Atmos - Monitor Silver SUB - DTV 4K - XBOX One X
My YouTube Tech Channel - https://www.youtube.com/c/TechFan
post #9 of 14 Old 01-13-2016, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

So the video on the 626 is good but still inferior to the X2200W. Spoke with Denon, they believe this is merely a defective unit. I am doing one more troubleshooting thing before I send it back.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-13-2016, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Gonna try and factory reset that denon techs have told me about this over the weekend maybe this evening time permitting. I hooked up my old Onkyo TX-NR626 and calibrated the room so I had something in the room to use...it has a very good version of Audyssey and nailed the room perfectly!! The sound is excellent out of this unit. Video is good but not as good as the denon. Ill let you guys know how the reset goes...but I have to say for the 626 to perform as well as it has I am surprised I didnt think to bring it upstair to my main HT setup earlier. I always thought it was inferior. It does lack the latest goodies but it sounds very good especially considering the price! After calibrating I believe the sound is better then the Denon!! Yeah...I just said that and I cant believe it! But this is thanks to the Audyssey version on that unit it is significantly better. It has significantly less power but it more then enough for the room. However, it isnt as clear at very higher volume levels as the denon but bass, imaging, and sound field is excellent! I really never crank it up that loud any way...for it would be too much on the denon as well. But I am pleasantly shocked! It seems that a lot of these units are skimping today. To throw more features in that cut out others!! You really need to step up your price tag to make a difference. Sad because that 626 was a great buy!! I believe I got it for 350!! It was slated for backup duty in my basement setup...which has inferior speakers, sub and so on! Putting it with my klipsch and Ryhtmik it has came alive!! It is unfortunately missing the new sound processing like DTS:X and Atmos but there is a shortage of material that are written for it anyway! Gonna take some time to see that stuff come out!
post #11 of 14 Old 01-13-2016, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Gonna try and factory reset that denon techs have told me about this over the weekend maybe this evening time permitting. I hooked up my old Onkyo TX-NR626 and calibrated the room so I had something in the room to use...it has a very good version of Audyssey and nailed the room perfectly!! The sound is excellent out of this unit. Video is good but not as good as the denon. Ill let you guys know how the reset goes...but I have to say for the 626 to perform as well as it has I am surprised I didnt think to bring it upstair to my main HT setup earlier. I always thought it was inferior. It does lack the latest goodies but it sounds very good especially considering the price! After calibrating I believe the sound is better then the Denon!! Yeah...I just said that and I cant believe it! But this is thanks to the Audyssey version on that unit it is significantly better. It has significantly less power but it more then enough for the room. However, it isnt as clear at very higher volume levels as the denon but bass, imaging, and sound field is excellent! I really never crank it up that loud any way...for it would be too much on the denon as well. But I am pleasantly shocked! It seems that a lot of these units are skimping today. To throw more features in that cut out others!! You really need to step up your price tag to make a difference. Sad because that 626 was a great buy!! I believe I got it for 350!! It was slated for backup duty in my basement setup...which has inferior speakers, sub and so on! Putting it with my klipsch and Ryhtmik it has came alive!! It is unfortunately missing the new sound processing like DTS:X and Atmos but there is a shortage of material that are written for it anyway! Gonna take some time to see that stuff come out!
Doesn't the tx nr626 have multeq and the denon, multeq xt?
post #12 of 14 Old 01-13-2016, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I own a Onkyo 606 and a Xbox one. My Panasonic projectors PTAE4000 dims occasionally when i'm using the Xbox one, always thought it was the projector. After reading your post, i'm thinking it may be the Xbox one in conjunction with receiver. Hope this helps.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-16-2016, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Did a full reset and it seems to have solved the problem of the dimming on the X2200W. Re-calibrated as well and it sounds fantastic!! Couple of minor adjustments and did some test material...it looks and sounds great!! Looks to be a keeper at this point but time will tell. My support person at Denon said not to worry about the 30-days..for he is watching this case closely and will ensure it doesnt pop up at all again and is willing to do an exchange out for a new one if necessary.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-20-2018, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Did a full reset and it seems to have solved the problem of the dimming on the X2200W. Re-calibrated as well and it sounds fantastic!! Couple of minor adjustments and did some test material...it looks and sounds great!! Looks to be a keeper at this point but time will tell. My support person at Denon said not to worry about the 30-days..for he is watching this case closely and will ensure it doesnt pop up at all again and is willing to do an exchange out for a new one if necessary.
I am having this issue with blu-rays on my xbox one x. Same Devon AVR-X2200W. I reset it by holding down the power and tune + and -. It didn't solve it. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page