May get laughed outta here, but..... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Prime316

post #1 of 8 Old 01-10-2016, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
May get laughed outta here, but.....

I am building a new addition to the house - nothing dedicated to home theater, but just more open space. The main seating/viewing area will be 24x16, with lots of glass in very large windows and patio doors.
Obviously, I'm not a "theater" oriented type, but I do like/appreciate good quality sound. I do prefer clean crisp dialogue over special effect sound as I tend to watch the more "nerdier" stuff.

I don't have a current set up, but have made a few purchases with the new addition in mind. I have :
Acoustic Audio cc-6 Dual Woofer 300watt 8ohm In Wall LCR speakers
AudioBahn 6.5inch 2 way 140watt 8ohm circular in ceiling speakers
( I bought 4 pair of these, thinking of being able to run just stereo/pandora thru the house)
A Theater Solutions TS8 Speaker Switcher
I also have 4 vintage Cerwin Vega floor speakers that still sound awesome.

I would like to go with a 7.1 system, for those times when I DO want to fall into a movie.

I have an Insignia 55" HD TV that I will be upgrading to a 4K model soon, as well as a Sony BDP-S6500 Blue Ray 4K UHD upscale wireless DVD player.

I've been reading til my eyes bleed and researching which receiver I should get, and am just as lost now as I was when I started.

I've been looking at Onkyo and Pioneer, but it seems that in order to get the receivers that will handle 4k, one loses the option of the A/B switch for speakers - which is something I would need in order to have the "home audio".

Am I asking too much to be able to do what I want off 1 receiver? And on a $300-600 budget?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-10-2016, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 693
I may get laughed out of this thread by getting involved in something I don't fully understand, but why do you need an A/B switch? I'm assuming this is the one that allows you to select one or both of two pairs of speakers?

My Yamaha has a DSP mode called 7 channel stereo, using all 7 channels with no fooling around with effects to make you think you're in a dungeon or something. It also has Straight which gives left and right plus subwoofer or Pure Direct which outputs 2 channels/no sub.

I assume most AV receivers have similar capability.

Spoiler!
post #3 of 8 Old 01-10-2016, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Was under the impression that I needed the A/B switch for the speaker switcher to run the non surround dedicated speakers. Am I wrong?
How else do I run that many speakers off 1 receiver? Albeit not at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-10-2016, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Missed that. Note to self: (read entire post before responding)

Looks like that gizmo is for running speakers all over your house, up to 8 zones.

You could probably hook that up to a Zone 2 output from a receiver, although that will likely cost you any 7.1 capability and reduce the receiver to 5.1.

Zone 2 will replace your A/B switch. Shouldn't be difficult to find a receiver with second zone capability within your budget.

Spoiler!
post #5 of 8 Old 01-10-2016, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 172
It would appear from your speaker purchases that you have already taken a step back from "clean crisp dialog". So the first question here is: what is your budget? There are lots of decent speakers available which will give you both clean crisp dialog as well as half decent explosions.

If you want whole home audio, that is an altogether different proposition which might involve names like Sonos (although there are several other whole home systems coming on the market these days). Although the CV's are decent rock speakers (ie, they play loud) they may be not so good at dialog. Decent sound costs money, how much do you want to spend? (warning, decent sound in your main room + whole home audio is going to cost several thousand dollars).

Receiver: Denon AVR X3400H/Display: Vizio P65-E1
Blu-Ray: Sony UBP-X700/LaserDisc: Panasonic AG-LD20/Streamer Amazon FireTV 4K
Satellite: Dish Hopper w/Sling
Speakers: SVS Prime Tower/SVS Prime Center/SVS Prime Surround/Velodyne HGS-15
post #6 of 8 Old 01-10-2016, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 207
I own a couple Sonos units. They get expensive fast but great for simple whole home audio solutions.
John Sully and KJSteward like this.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
AVR: Denon X2200W
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 4
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
post #7 of 8 Old 01-10-2016, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post
I own a couple Sonos units. They get expensive fast but great for simple whole home audio solutions.
Great sound though. Worth every penny. If I were starting from scratch I'd give them some consideration.

Spoiler!
post #8 of 8 Old 01-10-2016, 10:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 226
[QUOTE=wileywench;40527786]I am building a new addition to the house - nothing dedicated to home theater, but just more open space. The main seating/viewing area will be 24x16, with lots of glass in very large windows and patio doors.
Obviously, I'm not a "theater" oriented type, but I do like/appreciate good quality sound. I do prefer clean crisp dialogue over special effect sound as I tend to watch the more "nerdier" stuff.

I don't have a current set up, but have made a few purchases with the new addition in mind. I have :
Acoustic Audio cc-6 Dual Woofer 300watt 8ohm In Wall LCR speakers
AudioBahn 6.5inch 2 way 140watt 8ohm circular in ceiling speakers
( I bought 4 pair of these, thinking of being able to run just stereo/pandora thru the house)
A Theater Solutions TS8 Speaker Switcher
I also have 4 vintage Cerwin Vega floor speakers that still sound awesome.

I would like to go with a 7.1 system, for those times when I DO want to fall into a movie.

I have an Insignia 55" HD TV that I will be upgrading to a 4K model soon, as well as a Sony BDP-S6500 Blue Ray 4K UHD upscale wireless DVD player.

I've been reading til my eyes bleed and researching which receiver I should get, and am just as lost now as I was when I started.

I've been looking at Onkyo and Pioneer, but it seems that in order to get the receivers that will handle 4k, one loses the option of the A/B switch for speakers - which is something I would need in order to have the "home audio".

Am I asking too much to be able to do what I want off 1 receiver? And on a $300-600 budget?

I think you should visit one of the receiver brand web sites, click on support, and download an owners manual. Most have zone two, three, four etc., depending on how many channels you use in your main zone. Like a nine channel receiver, where you configure seven channels in the main zone would leave you with two channels for another room.
Also check out Yamaha's "music cast" offered with their new receivers...wireless music through out the home.

Espo77's living room equipment: RECEIVER: Yamaha RX-A3030- SPEAKERS: Boston Acoustics M350, M25 center, surrounds, and front heights-
BLU-RAY: Oppo BDP103D- SUBWOOFER: HSU VTF-15H MK2- dedicated circuits for A/V- TV: Vizio P55C-1
Auralex Acoustics LENRD - Auralex Acoustics Roominator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page