Onkyo TX-RZ1100 and TX-RZ3100 - Page 72 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2536Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2131 of 2590 Old 02-13-2018, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,501
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theheadsn View Post
Curious, do you guys think I should bite the bullet and get a powered amp instead of relying on the 1100? I have a set of Polk RtiA9's and a CsiA center. As well as 5.1.4 set up. Would it worth it?
Most people will find that they somehow seem to need more and more power... why? Because they are just not satisfied with the sound level of their speakers... it always seems like there's something missing.. like they don't give you the same impact, or crystal clear dialogue while action is happening on the scene...

Almost every speaker that you can buy off the shelve (branded ones) will distort at higher levels... so, it's not really the amp that's the problem. It's the speakers.

What I suggest is that you get new speakers instead of an amp,... those high efficiency speakers... I suggest JTR Speakers... or if you're on a budget check out DIYSoundGroup.com. These speakers can easily be powered by your receiver to over reference. They'll give you that big sound like the cinemas as well as the crystal clear dialogue... What sound you get is mostly I would say 70% speaker and 30% room treatment. The amp doesn't even play much of a part... You can power any of those speakers I mentioned with a $20 dollar amp you get from best buy and they'll sound better than powering the current speakers you have with the world's most expensive amps...
Brandon B, T-Bone, gene4ht and 1 others like this.
coolgeek is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2132 of 2590 Old 02-18-2018, 06:41 AM
Member
 
PTG89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Most people will find that they somehow seem to need more and more power... why? Because they are just not satisfied with the sound level of their speakers... it always seems like there's something missing.. like they don't give you the same impact, or crystal clear dialogue while action is happening on the scene...

Almost every speaker that you can buy off the shelve (branded ones) will distort at higher levels... so, it's not really the amp that's the problem. It's the speakers.

What I suggest is that you get new speakers instead of an amp,... those high efficiency speakers... I suggest JTR Speakers... or if you're on a budget check out DIYSoundGroup.com. These speakers can easily be powered by your receiver to over reference. They'll give you that big sound like the cinemas as well as the crystal clear dialogue... What sound you get is mostly I would say 70% speaker and 30% room treatment. The amp doesn't even play much of a part... You can power any of those speakers I mentioned with a $20 dollar amp you get from best buy and they'll sound better than powering the current speakers you have with the world's most expensive amps...
I own the Onkyo Rz3100. Has anyone downloaded the latest firmware update that released End of Jan 2018? Numbers end in 0008. It seems to me that since running this firmware update the sound quality when using DTS x neural has improved and is more dynamic?Prior to the update when Playing a 5.1/7.1. Source Using DTS X neural the bass was significantly weaker and less dynamic than DS (Dolby surround) or THX cinema filters.
Watching a couple of 7.1 blurays after the update I have noticed the increased punch and dynamics vs prior to the update. Has anyone noticed this post firmware update? If this is the case it’s great news!
PTG89 is offline  
post #2133 of 2590 Old 02-19-2018, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,982
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2685
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTG89 View Post
I own the Onkyo Rz3100. Has anyone downloaded the latest firmware update that released End of Jan 2018? Numbers end in 0008. It seems to me that since running this firmware update the sound quality when using DTS x neural has improved and is more dynamic?Prior to the update when Playing a 5.1/7.1. Source Using DTS X neural the bass was significantly weaker and less dynamic than DS (Dolby surround) or THX cinema filters.
Watching a couple of 7.1 blurays after the update I have noticed the increased punch and dynamics vs prior to the update. Has anyone noticed this post firmware update? If this is the case it’s great news!
When I auditioned the 1100 (identical architecture as the 3100 minus two amps) over a year ago, I immediately found that the "overall" bass response (regardless of codec) was less dynamic than the classic Onkyo's I've owned. Since then I've found that the "newest" RZ family member, the 920 has improved (more punch & dynamics) bass response over the 1100/3100. It's possible, a change was made in the 920 and also incorporated in the FW update for the 1100/3100...pure speculation on my part.

As a side note, I've recently auditioned the Marantz SR8012 and found the bass response to be extremely punchy and dynamic...reminiscent of the classic Onkyo's. Although it has many desirable attributes and features, for me, it falls a bit short in terms of my needs and particularly value. Denon's X8500H has garnered some attention for it's 13 channel capability. However, after careful consideration, the appeal of wides, flexible amp assignment, and an HDMI 2.1 upgrade path...its value proposition is not appealing...to me. Consequently, I've opted for a temporary solution in the RZ920 and still open to and awaiting the 3100's replacement later this fall.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2134 of 2590 Old 02-20-2018, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,501
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Doesn't look like HDMI 2.1 will arrive with the this year's new Onkyo flagship as the format won't be ready for roll out.. but hey, who knows... if it doesn't come this year, would it mean we'll have to wait yet another cycle, ie, 2+1 years (as onkyo only update their flagship once every 2 years)

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...ot-likely-year
gene4ht likes this.
coolgeek is offline  
post #2135 of 2590 Old 02-20-2018, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,063
Mentioned: 743 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22619 Post(s)
Liked: 12310
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
Doesn't look like HDMI 2.1 will arrive with the this year's new Onkyo flagship as the format won't be ready for roll out.. but hey, who knows... if it doesn't come this year, would it mean we'll have to wait yet another cycle, ie, 2+1 years (as onkyo only update their flagship once every 2 years)
It will most likely be released when HDMI 2.1 is ready and simply start a new cycle from that point just as Denon/Marantz did by delaying the release of their flagship models by 1 year in anticipation of the release of the HDMI 2.1 board. Although other brands may also follow D+M's lead and release their new "flagship" models with the intention of having the customer return the unit to have the HDMI 2.1 board replaced at a later date.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #2136 of 2590 Old 02-20-2018, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,501
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
It will most likely be released when HDMI 2.1 is ready and simply start a new cycle from that point just as Denon/Marantz did by delaying the release of their flagship models by 1 year in anticipation of the release of the HDMI 2.1 board. Although other brands may also follow D+M's lead and release their new "flagship" models with the intention of having the customer return the unit to have the HDMI 2.1 board replaced at a later date.
In that case, we'll see the new model in quarter 1 2019 then... cause that'll be the fastest this would be ready... I just don't like the board replacement idea because they wouldn't have tested the system with the new board.. and you'll likely have issues etc...

Which then puts Onkyo as the ONLY major brand with the actual 2.1 board,... and they can fleece us with the pricing...
gene4ht likes this.
coolgeek is offline  
post #2137 of 2590 Old 02-20-2018, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,063
Mentioned: 743 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22619 Post(s)
Liked: 12310
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
In that case, we'll see the new model in quarter 1 2019 then... cause that'll be the fastest this would be ready... I just don't like the board replacement idea because they wouldn't have tested the system with the new board.. and you'll likely have issues etc...

Which then puts Onkyo as the ONLY major brand with the actual 2.1 board,... and they can fleece us with the pricing...
All mfrs should receive the new HDMI 2.1 board at the same time giving them all ample time to test it sufficiently enough before introducing it to market either via a factory release or via board replacement.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #2138 of 2590 Old 02-20-2018, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
Lozin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 689
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 163
No big deal. I’m going to wait at least 4-5 years before I start to think HDMI 2.1


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gene4ht likes this.
Lozin is online now  
post #2139 of 2590 Old 02-20-2018, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,501
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozin View Post
No big deal. I’m going to wait at least 4-5 years before I start to think HDMI 2.1


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My current receiver is the Onkyo 3009, which i think is 6 years old lolz... so, i guess by 2009, it'll be 8 years old before i get a new one... bang for the buck for sure...!!!
gene4ht likes this.
coolgeek is offline  
post #2140 of 2590 Old 02-20-2018, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Al Sherwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Victoria, BC Canada
Posts: 4,412
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 859 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozin View Post
No big deal. I’m going to wait at least 4-5 years before I start to think HDMI 2.1


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Will this finally replace the component video cables I am using?


gene4ht likes this.

Al
Al Sherwood is offline  
post #2141 of 2590 Old 02-20-2018, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,982
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2685
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post
In that case, we'll see the new model in quarter 1 2019 then... cause that'll be the fastest this would be ready... I just don't like the board replacement idea because they wouldn't have tested the system with the new board.. and you'll likely have issues etc...

Which then puts Onkyo as the ONLY major brand with the actual 2.1 board,... and they can fleece us with the pricing...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozin View Post
No big deal. I’m going to wait at least 4-5 years before I start to think HDMI 2.1

LOL!!! I too have no problem waiting 2-3 years for things to stabilize. And I too have no desire to send an AVR to a service center for upgrade. Even if HDMI 2.1 comes factory installed next year, it will likely take another incremental time frame for manufacturers and content providers to take advantage of the greater bandwidth...think when 8K will mature...not to mention the compatibility issues that will require ironing out...so 4-5 years is probably realistic! The other features currently being offered are not "must have" features for me. I'm no longer a leading/bleeding edge person...been there, done that! I now value value. For instance, 13 channels and wides are "nice to haves" and appeal to some. However, it's incremental appeal is lost on me when the cost of admission from an X6400H can buy a new X7200WA + Oppo 203! As always...YMMV.
bslep likes this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
post #2142 of 2590 Old 02-21-2018, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolgeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,501
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
LOL!!! I too have no problem waiting 2-3 years for things to stabilize. And I too have no desire to send an AVR to a service center for upgrade. Even if HDMI 2.1 comes factory installed next year, it will likely take another incremental time frame for manufacturers and content providers to take advantage of the greater bandwidth...think when 8K will mature...not to mention the compatibility issues that will require ironing out...so 4-5 years is probably realistic! The other features currently being offered are not "must have" features for me. I'm no longer a leading/bleeding edge person...been there, done that! I now value value. For instance, 13 channels and wides are "nice to haves" and appeal to some. However, it's incremental appeal is lost on me when the cost of admission from an X6400H can buy a new X7200WA + Oppo 203! As always...YMMV.
Exactly the right mindset... that's why so many people are always poor... haha

I have had 4 handphones in my life.. each I used for 6 years... my first smartphone was the Samsung Note 2, which i used for 5 years... and now i have a 2nd hand Huawei p9, which I bought at half the price new (after the user used it for 7 months).... if you add up all your savings when you buy things properly, you can literally buy a few properties...
gene4ht likes this.
coolgeek is offline  
post #2143 of 2590 Old 02-21-2018, 05:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
zimmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: montreal quebec
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I think exactly same to GENE4HT ,I just buy marantz sr 8012 for couple years ,depend how they amplification have new onkyo ,is return to A/B AMPLFICATION OR WHIT AMPLIFICATION TOROIDAL for shur I have interest fot this new onkyo.


Normaly the new model suppose comming in september .
gene4ht likes this.

marantz av 8805, 13 chanels, emotiva 2 xpa 5 gen1,1 emotiva xpa3 gen3, 7.4.6,4 speakers monitor 11 ,2 paradigm studio 100 v2,4 ceillings speakers ss82w sweet spot earthquake ,2 earthquake ecs-8.0,1 center Paradigm cc390,4 subs klipsch r-sw112 sw.antimod 8033 perfect bass kit paradigm, Buttkicker amplificateur lfe 1000 watts, , tv oled 65e6p,, room 12x25x7,bluray player oppo bdp 203,4coolers ac infinity s9 fan.
zimmo is offline  
post #2144 of 2590 Old 02-23-2018, 06:14 AM
Member
 
funkahdafi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hey guys, I am in the market for a new receiver and had the 3100 on my list. Now I keep reading that the 1100 is essentially exactly the same thing with just 2 channels less. Has this been proven to be correct? Or is this just an assumption?

Also, would be interested in comparisons to the Denon 6400 and Marantz 7012, if available.

Thank you
funkahdafi is offline  
post #2145 of 2590 Old 02-23-2018, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,982
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2685
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkahdafi View Post
Hey guys, I am in the market for a new receiver and had the 3100 on my list. Now I keep reading that the 1100 is essentially exactly the same thing with just 2 channels less. Has this been proven to be correct? Or is this just an assumption?
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post46841529

Just add an inexpensive two channel amp like the AudioSource 100 (periodically on sale for even less) and you have the 3100's capability.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Source-...ource+amp100vs

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkahdafi View Post
Also, would be interested in comparisons to the Denon 6400 and Marantz 7012, if available.
I'm not aware of any head to head professional reviews of these. However, I have compared the 1100 and the 6300 (essentially the same as the 6400) head to head in my home.

My earlier postings describe more detail but in summary, I prefer the SQ (sound signature) of the 1100...cleaner, clearer, punchier, more detailed and dynamic. The 6300 has a much more robust feature set. And the general consensus for the D+M pieces is Denon for HT and Marantz (better DACs?) for music. I eventually sold the 6300 as over time I realized I value SQ over features. I currently own the RZ920 while awaiting a worthy flagship from Onkyo or perhaps others.
funkahdafi likes this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 02-23-2018 at 08:37 AM. Reason: typo
gene4ht is online now  
post #2146 of 2590 Old 02-23-2018, 01:25 PM
Member
 
funkahdafi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thanks. My main focus is music and I only use two channels.
funkahdafi is offline  
post #2147 of 2590 Old 02-23-2018, 01:28 PM
Member
 
funkahdafi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 25
BTW, you mentioned the Onkyo 920. I just tried to find it on their site but they only list an 820.
funkahdafi is offline  
post #2148 of 2590 Old 02-23-2018, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,982
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2685
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkahdafi View Post
BTW, you mentioned the Onkyo 920. I just tried to find it on their site but they only list an 820.
Are you in the U.S. or N/A?

https://www.onkyousa.com/Products/pr...class=Receiver

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
post #2149 of 2590 Old 02-23-2018, 02:27 PM
Member
 
funkahdafi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 25
No, I am in Germany. That's probably why. I found it on the US site but not on the German. Bummer. Thanks though.
funkahdafi is offline  
post #2150 of 2590 Old 02-23-2018, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,982
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2685
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkahdafi View Post
No, I am in Germany. That's probably why. I found it on the US site but not on the German. Bummer. Thanks though.
Bitte schon

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203
gene4ht is online now  
post #2151 of 2590 Old 02-24-2018, 09:22 AM
Member
 
funkahdafi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 25
One more question: Does the 1100 / 3100 have some form of dynamic EQ and dynamic volume functions akin to the Audyssey's Dyn EQ and volume?
funkahdafi is offline  
post #2152 of 2590 Old 02-24-2018, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,982
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2685
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkahdafi View Post
One more question: Does the 1100 / 3100 have some form of dynamic EQ and dynamic volume functions akin to the Audyssey's Dyn EQ and volume?
I'm not an SME on Audyssey or AccuEQ and cannot say that these volume functions are exact equivalents but...

AccuEQ's Loudness Plus is very similar to Audyssey's Dynamic EQ and

AccuEQs Intellivolume is very similar to Audyssey's Dynamic Volume

Perhaps someone with greater understanding can also chime in with more detailed/clarifying information.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 02-24-2018 at 11:08 AM.
gene4ht is online now  
post #2153 of 2590 Old 02-24-2018, 12:23 PM
Member
 
funkahdafi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thank you. I'll look into both of these, but the names alone sound pretty promising.
funkahdafi is offline  
post #2154 of 2590 Old 02-25-2018, 03:46 AM
Member
 
funkahdafi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I've been reading elsewhere that the OSD menus are extremely slow and laggy and that every keypress on the remote takes 2-3 seconds to move something on the OSD. Can this be confirmed?

Also, another report says that when starting to play an audio source, the Onkyo cuts out the first few seconds, kind of as if it needs to wake up first. Confirmed?

Thanks
funkahdafi is offline  
post #2155 of 2590 Old 02-25-2018, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,982
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2685
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkahdafi View Post
I've been reading elsewhere that the OSD menus are extremely slow and laggy and that every keypress on the remote takes 2-3 seconds to move something on the OSD. Can this be confirmed?

Also, another report says that when starting to play an audio source, the Onkyo cuts out the first few seconds, kind of as if it needs to wake up first. Confirmed?

Thanks
I have never heard of those mentioned or experienced it personally. I would venture to say that this is generally not the case and these were symptoms of perhaps defective units.

Edit: On the latter issue, perhaps this was a delay due to establishing HDMI handshake that is sometimes experienced with and common to some but not all attached products.
funkahdafi likes this.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 02-25-2018 at 05:44 AM.
gene4ht is online now  
post #2156 of 2590 Old 02-25-2018, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
T-Bone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 2,263
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene4ht View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkahdafi View Post
I've been reading elsewhere that the OSD menus are extremely slow and laggy and that every keypress on the remote takes 2-3 seconds to move something on the OSD. Can this be confirmed?

Also, another report says that when starting to play an audio source, the Onkyo cuts out the first few seconds, kind of as if it needs to wake up first. Confirmed?

Thanks
I have never heard of those mentioned or experienced it personally. I would venture to say that this is generally not the case and these were symptoms of perhaps defective units.

Edit: On the latter issue, perhaps this was a delay due to establishing HDMI handshake that is sometimes experienced with and common to some but not all attached products.
I think you are right about the handshake. I have the rz920 and the menu takes about 10 seconds to display on my projector. That's because my projector is usually accepting a 1080p signal. But I noticed the Onkyo menu is only 720p.

I have a JVC projector so it takes awhile to reconcile the handshake.

-T
gene4ht likes this.
T-Bone is offline  
post #2157 of 2590 Old 02-25-2018, 01:34 PM
Member
 
funkahdafi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Nah, the guy was mentioning a delay for every key press in the menu, not just an initial delay before the menu displays.

I am still torn between the Denon 4400 and the Onkyo 1100.
funkahdafi is offline  
post #2158 of 2590 Old 02-25-2018, 02:05 PM
Member
 
short circuit1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Templeton, Ma
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Nope, once you’re in it’s as fast as you push the buttons on the remote.
funkahdafi likes this.
short circuit1 is offline  
post #2159 of 2590 Old 02-25-2018, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gene4ht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 3,982
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 2685
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkahdafi View Post
Nah, the guy was mentioning a delay for every key press in the menu, not just an initial delay before the menu displays.
Then this is something I've never experienced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkahdafi View Post
I am still torn between the Denon 4400 and the Onkyo 1100.
The advice most often provided in these threads is...

1. Determine if SQ (sound signature) or feature set is most important to you... SQ is distinctly different between Denon and Onkyo from an overall dynamic and bass response perspective...can you listen or audition somewhere?
2. Determine what features you want and need...the Denon's tend to be more feature rich...but are these really important for you...is room correction important/needed (Audyssey is popular in these threads but some have found AccuEQ to be equally if not more effective in their rooms).
3. Establish your budget...don't know about Germany or EU but here in the U.S., street pricing is just about identical for the two AVRs.
4. Let aesthetics and personal taste be your tie breaker if necessary.

Note 1: Many no longer consider reliability a factor. All products can potentially fail for many reasons. It's how the manufacturer addresses the failure that's important.

Note 2: It's always difficult to find a neutral or non biased viewpoint from owners. In this thread, you'll naturally find more favorable Onkyo opinions. You may also want to visit the Denon threads for more biased Denon opinions.

In the end, if possible, your ears should be the decision maker.

Epson: 5040UB | Elite: 115" Fixed Frame CinemaScope (2.35:1) | Onkyo: TX-RZ920 + M-5010 (7.2.4) | Klipsch: RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II, RB-61 II MICCA: M-8C (Atmos) x 6 | SVS: PB16-Ultra x 2 | Philips: BDP7501, Panasonic: DMP UB900, Oppo: UDP-203

Last edited by gene4ht; 02-25-2018 at 02:28 PM.
gene4ht is online now  
post #2160 of 2590 Old 03-01-2018, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
zimmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: montreal quebec
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 114
FUNKAHDAFI
Dont still torn between denon 4400 and 0nkyo 1100 onkyo tx-rz1100 eat denon not comparasion more finess ,more strong bass better the denon not have bass sink very important.


I take onkyo yx-nr1100 for shur.

marantz av 8805, 13 chanels, emotiva 2 xpa 5 gen1,1 emotiva xpa3 gen3, 7.4.6,4 speakers monitor 11 ,2 paradigm studio 100 v2,4 ceillings speakers ss82w sweet spot earthquake ,2 earthquake ecs-8.0,1 center Paradigm cc390,4 subs klipsch r-sw112 sw.antimod 8033 perfect bass kit paradigm, Buttkicker amplificateur lfe 1000 watts, , tv oled 65e6p,, room 12x25x7,bluray player oppo bdp 203,4coolers ac infinity s9 fan.
zimmo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
TX-RZ1000

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off