Axiim Q WiSA-compliant wireless AVR - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #31 of 218 Old 03-01-2016, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just ordered mine today, looking forward to receiving it! Thank you for all the info, pics, and video's! Hope I made the right choice but I am confident I did. Looking forward to some great sounding home theater audio!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 218 Old 03-01-2016, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikinho View Post
Right now if you pull up any menu next to the clock you will see either a DTS or Dolby icon depending on the source. We do not have an icon for PCM or to differentiate between different levels of DTS or Dobly but we can absolutely add that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
It would be awesome if more detailed format info was exposed in the app as well.
Being able to see the specifics of the audio feed would be a very welcome addition -- especially since one of the Q's primary functions is to serve as a replacement for the traditional AVR, which almost always provide that level of detail about the audio source and what's being played, etc.
post #33 of 218 Old 03-01-2016, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Under Menu -> Settings -> Audio -> Format you do see the format of the audio stream but we can definitely add more detail. And expose to the mobile application. Let us know what kind of detail you'd like to see and we can look at adding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 218 Old 03-01-2016, 09:57 PM

Being able to press or tap a single button to bring up a small block of information that shows more detail regarding the audio and video streams would be great. For example, beyond just Dolby or DTS, it could show...

- DD, DD+, DD TrueHD, DTS, DTS-HD, PCM*, etc.
*Including PCM is helpful for those of us that have the source device do the decoding.
- # of channels in the feed (2, 5.1, 7.1, etc.)
- sampling frequency and bitrate (48 kHz, 96 kHz, 16 bit, 24 bit, etc.)
- source resolution (720p, 1080p, etc.) and vertical frequency (24Hz, 30Hz, 60Hz, etc.) > although maybe those are best left to the TV?
- Perhaps even the bitrate/Mbps for the audio and video feeds

I'm thinking this data would actually take up relatively little screen real estate once pulled up (and then disappears once the user presses/taps the same button to dismiss it, or after a few seconds or so when it's not manually dismissed) due to its numeric nature.

I know I personally would find this very helpful for streaming services that don't always (depending on the source device) let you see whether you're getting stereo, DD, or DD+. The same applies for some Blu-rays out there with multiple audio tracks to choose from. A lot of gamers would appreciate the extra info too.
Diverge likes this.

Last edited by dandiego; 03-01-2016 at 10:05 PM.
post #35 of 218 Old 03-02-2016, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'd like to see audio/video info (DTS, DD, DD+. PCM, ect), # of channel info, and video source resolution displayed in the main overlay whenever it pops up (volume changes, input changes, ect). I'm sure it can be done in a nice, unobtrusive way, and could even be a toggled setting to give everyone a choice. You can have more detailed info, such as bitrates, frequencies, in the sub-menu you mentioned above.
dandiego likes this.
post #36 of 218 Old 03-02-2016, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the feedback. We initially did have a notification popup as audio format changed but we found it annoying after awhile since it changes so frequently between changing Live TV channels and even commercials. That and most devices will send PCM on on a menu and then switch to a different format for the streaming.

But we'll see what we can do it make it less irritating and make it an optional setting.
post #37 of 218 Old 03-02-2016, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralOut View Post
After much deliberation, I recently purchased an Axiim Q wireless AVR (as part of a 5.1 WiSA home theater bundle). I got everything set up yesterday, and so far I’m super impressed (configuration was dead simple, and it sounds awesome).

Since it looks like nobody’s started an Axiim thread yet, I figured I’d do the honors. I’ll try to keep the FAQ updated as time goes by.
Can I ask an honest opinion though, if you have a solid wired system already, (Marantz 5010, Elac Debut speakers) would you replace it if running wires was (nice) but not an issue? I am just curious if it would really be worth it. Do you think they are just as good as a system like this, worse, better?
post #38 of 218 Old 03-02-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverge View Post
I'd like to see audio/video info (DTS, DD, DD+. PCM, ect), # of channel info, and video source resolution displayed in the main overlay whenever it pops up (volume changes, input changes, ect). I'm sure it can be done in a nice, unobtrusive way, and could even be a toggled setting to give everyone a choice. You can have more detailed info, such as bitrates, frequencies, in the sub-menu you mentioned above.
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. We initially did have a notification popup as audio format changed but we found it annoying after awhile since it changes so frequently between changing Live TV channels and even commercials. That and most devices will send PCM on on a menu and then switch to a different format for the streaming.

But we'll see what we can do it make it less irritating and make it an optional setting.
I can definitely see how that would get annoying. I think just having the ability to tap a button to show the audio/video info (vs. having it automatically appear anytime the format changed) would be a welcome addition. That way, if a user doesn't want or care to see that info, then they will never see it. As @Diverge suggested, the behavior could be controlled via a setting for those that want to see it when other actions happen, such as input changes, etc.
post #39 of 218 Old 03-03-2016, 10:41 AM

Tuesday can't get here fast enough

Is there an official support forum, or way of giving feedback, ect? I'm just curious for when I get it up and running.
post #40 of 218 Old 03-03-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Tuesday can't get here fast enough

Is there an official support forum, or way of giving feedback, ect? I'm just curious for when I get it up and running.
The AVR has a Support menu for sending diagnostics on issues. That along with e-mailing at support (at) axiim (dot) com
post #41 of 218 Old 03-04-2016, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I took the plunge and purchased the 5.1 setup. I'm replacing a Pioneer AVR (only a couple years old) and a Polk 5.1 speaker setup that served me well for over 6 years. Looking forward to getting this, removing all the wires and cable hide in my apartment. I have a question about the backs of the surround speakers and what type of stand interface they have? It mentions they were meant for bookshelves or stands but doesn't mention if they can be mounted using generic Sanus stands. Do you guys have any info on the types of stands that can be used?

Thanks...
post #42 of 218 Old 03-04-2016, 11:21 PM

Hi @stevetar , they can not be mounted with generic stands. We have a custom mounting bracket to accomodate our design.

They are available for purchase at our online store: http://axiim.com/collections/accesso...-stands-xm-st2

Below is a quote from our recent newsletter concerning stands:

Quote:
Floor Stands

The design of the floor stands allows you to place your speakers at the optimum listening height. The slim minimalist industrial design makes for a non-intrusive floor stand that will not compete with your room’s decor. The feet are adjustable to ensure the base is level and sturdy on any surface. The heavy-duty base provides a solid and stable platform for your Axiim speakers. The elegant design is finished with a satin black powder coat.
Attached is a how they look in my living room (pug approved)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pug-approved.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	1294633  
post #43 of 218 Old 03-05-2016, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post
Almost all receivers have cec and bluetooth now. The wireless part is the difference.
Looks like competition for Bose stuff. Four inch woofers=ho hum.
Agreed. That's no subwoofer. It's a bass module.

To call it a subwoofer is to market to the ignorant.
post #44 of 218 Old 03-05-2016, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralOut View Post
In short, WiSA is a wireless audio standard that doesn’t suck...
...as badly as it could.

But after I accept the compromises of wireless "fidelity", I then have to find power outlets for each one of these speakers--which creates additional compromises of its own.

Speaker wire doesn't have to be 3 gauge Monster wire that costs as much as a house, contrary to what Monster may want you to believe. Given that, I'm really not sure what "problem" this solves. ??
post #45 of 218 Old 03-06-2016, 04:46 AM

Thanks. I thought that might be the case, and after looking at the specs on the stands I have now there is now way they would support the surround speakers anyway.
post #46 of 218 Old 03-06-2016, 03:00 PM

Quote:

BTW, the pug approved the stands, but he's begging for a bigger bed..
mikinho likes this.
post #47 of 218 Old 03-06-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetar View Post
BTW, the pug approved the stands, but he's begging for a bigger bed..
LOL...my wife says the same thing but Costco has been out of the medium size bed we like for him.
post #48 of 218 Old 03-13-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Hi @stevetar , they can not be mounted with generic stands. We have a custom mounting bracket to accomodate our design.

Below is a quote from our recent newsletter concerning stands:

Got my system all setup, sounds really good so far. I noticed in your photo that you have icons of the devices that are connected to your Q. Are there certain devices that the Q knows or is there a custom feature to choose the device icon?
post #49 of 218 Old 03-13-2016, 01:45 PM

Well known CEC devices will be auto detected. If you have any CEC devices without an icon submit a diag and we can add an icon. For non CEC devices pull up the HDMI input menu, focus on the input you want to assign an icon and hit the Menu/Info button (upper right button on physical remote).
post #50 of 218 Old 03-13-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Well known CEC devices will be auto detected. If you have any CEC devices without an icon submit a diag and we can add an icon. For non CEC devices pull up the HDMI input menu, focus on the input you want to assign an icon and hit the Menu/Info button (upper right button on physical remote).
Great, thanks... I didn't realize that Info button worked like that.

The last thing I need to deal with is Simple Remote doesn't seem have this device in their list yet s I can't really control it with that app yet. I'm going to contact them and see how I can add it or if I have to wait for them to add it to their database.

Thanks again...
post #51 of 218 Old 03-13-2016, 04:50 PM

I'll reach out to them later tonight. It's 75F in Houston right now so too nice to not be outside biking
post #52 of 218 Old 03-13-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetar View Post
Great, thanks... I didn't realize that Info button worked like that.

The last thing I need to deal with is Simple Remote doesn't seem have this device in their list yet s I can't really control it with that app yet. I'm going to contact them and see how I can add it or if I have to wait for them to add it to their database.

Thanks again...
Can you send me a link to Simple Remote?
post #53 of 218 Old 03-14-2016, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Can you send me a link to Simple Remote?
Sorry for the mix up, they changed the name from Roomie Remote to Simple Control and I bastardized the name. I can't put links in here yet but its at roomieremote dot com.

Edit* or just simplecontrol dot com

Last edited by stevetar; 03-14-2016 at 05:01 AM.
post #54 of 218 Old 03-15-2016, 08:59 AM

Just FYI, Simple Control beat me to it! They reached out to us before I can reach out to them.

They should have everything they need for IR control and I'll be working to provide them TCP-IP control API information.

Thanks
post #55 of 218 Old 03-15-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Just FYI, Simple Control beat me to it! They reached out to us before I can reach out to them.

They should have everything they need for IR control and I'll be working to provide them TCP-IP control API information.

Thanks
I just heard back from them too. Maybe they contacted you after I submitted a report to them on Sunday. It doesn't sound like they are going to do anything definitive until the product comes out of beta. I've offered to help test in the mean time if they need any help. Thanks for getting back on this.
post #56 of 218 Old 03-23-2016, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Are you all not worried about the axiim not supporting hdmi 2.0? It's a brand new receiver and won't support 4K and of the newer video innovations like HDR video. I myself don't even care about 4K that much but HDR video is a game changer.

I would be on this product in a second if it supported it but buying a receiver that's going to be obsolete so quickly doesn't make much sense. I'm boggled why they wouldn't include hdmi 2.0 in something so brand new.

Last edited by gustovier; 03-23-2016 at 07:10 AM.
post #57 of 218 Old 03-23-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gustovier View Post
Are you all not worried about the axiim not supporting hdmi 2.0? It's a brand new receiver and won't support 4K and of the newer video innovations like HDR video. I myself don't even care about 4K that much but HDR video is a game changer.

I would be on this product in a second if it supported it but buying a receiver that's going to be obsolete so quickly doesn't make much sense. I'm boggled why they wouldn't include hdmi 2.0 in something so brand new.
I think it would be cool if it supported HDMI 2.0, but personally, I don't need or want to upgrade my whole setup to 4K (at least right now). I have no desire to buy a new 4K TV - I just don't see the point, unless you are buying 4K physical media. Cable TV is still 1080i/720P. Most of my Plex stuff is 720P, and some 1080P. I have no desire to use 4K media streaming (Netflix, ?), as US internet providers are horrible... maybe when Google Fiber covers all of the US we'll have reasonable priced high bandwidth internet.
post #58 of 218 Old 03-23-2016, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
I think it would be cool if it supported HDMI 2.0, but personally, I don't need or want to upgrade my whole setup to 4K (at least right now). I have no desire to buy a new 4K TV - I just don't see the point, unless you are buying 4K physical media. Cable TV is still 1080i/720P. Most of my Plex stuff is 720P, and some 1080P. I have no desire to use 4K media streaming (Netflix, ?), as US internet providers are horrible... maybe when Google Fiber covers all of the US we'll have reasonable priced high bandwidth internet.
Like I was saying it's not 4K its HDR video. That's going to be the thing that ya miss out on. I could care less about 4K video myself. I really wanna buy this too, but just can't because I won't Be able to use HDR video (unless you do arc return of tv bleh)
post #59 of 218 Old 03-26-2016, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustovier View Post
Like I was saying it's not 4K its HDR video. That's going to be the thing that ya miss out on. I could care less about 4K video myself. I really wanna buy this too, but just can't because I won't Be able to use HDR video (unless you do arc return of tv bleh)
I totally agree on this one - it's not a software issue, its a hardware issue. In addition, given that Axiim is a relatively new company, you've always got to keep in mind that they might not exist if they can't sell this product.

While most of you guys who are audiophiles/technophiles, the majority of the public are not and basically shop for keywords like '4k' or 'UHD', and we all know that it doesn't matter if some of you don't care, we all know that if you don't sell, you'll probably won't be around for long.

I'm still baffled by the MSRP price of this model if its not going to support that.
post #60 of 218 Old 03-26-2016, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1406
This is pretty awesome tech, even if the price and features are currently not quite there yet for me.

I do agree that they need to support UHD HDMI input / passthrough if they are going to make a big dent in the 2016 HT market, especially at that price.

If the price on the receiver on its own were affordable (like say 500 or so), then I'd pull the trigger regardless of UHD support since I mostly watch stuff from my PC anyway.

The missing piece of the HTPC puzzle for UHD is getting UHD BD-ROMs and who knows when that might happen. But from an HTPC, I could see some Atmos / DTS:X sound cards eventually showing up, and in that case, if one can send that raw audio over the wire, these devices don't even need to decode Atmos per se. Then I could buy two of them, and have 16 channels of wireless sound for my loft. Wicked.

Q) Are there any companies that offer 1-channel Wisa receiver modules to attach to existing powered non-Wisa speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
axiim , wisa

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page